Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 704
Re: Rehearsals in London
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 14, 2017 19:56

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
When I see the initials SOL I think of Shit Out of Luck. Horrible tune studio and live imo...forcing it on the audience as if it was a worthy tune.
It was more of a Bon Jovi tune than a Stones tune - a power ballad that was thankfully buried from all setlists afterwards.
I highly doubt we'll ever see another one of those from the Stones ever again. Seems the whining has begun...wake up RipThisBone!

It was back in the setlist in 2014, with and without Mick Taylor.

Oh Jeezus...well then let me put it this way, it was thankfully buried from all setlists afterwards of shows I attended.

Are you saying Mick Taylor actually played on SOL? If so, did he solo? Or was it just some rhythm?
I don't have time to look at all the setlists from 2014, but the couple I did look at it isn't even listed.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: June 14, 2017 20:17

I have appreciated a lot the live versions of Streets of Love and Oh No, Not You Again during the Bigger Bang tour.

It is just a matter of taste...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 14, 2017 20:44

Hairball
Mick Taylor actually played on SOL? If so, did he solo? Or was it just some rhythm?
I don't have time to look at all the setlists from 2014, but the couple I did look at it isn't even listed.
It was played in Italy, one of several Euro countries where Streets of Love was a top 20 hit single (top 20 in four, top 10 in five).

Mick Taylor was touring with them at the time -- what was meant was that he wasn't brought out on stage to play on it. Setlist.fm has it as Mick Taylor playing on SOL: [www.setlist.fm]

SOL may very well find its way into the set list again this year, because they will be playing in Italy, plus the Netherlands where SOL went to #5. Spain as well, where SOL was a #1 hit single.

Just as with U.S. audiences for Miss You, the boys like to remind the audience of the last big #1 hit they had in a given country.

So, when titles of songs they're rehearsing for the Euro tour start getting leaked to IORR, as they invariably will, don't be surprised if you find you're Shit Out of Luck with SOL.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 14, 2017 20:55

stonehearted
Hairball
Mick Taylor actually played on SOL? If so, did he solo? Or was it just some rhythm?
It was played in Italy, one of several Euro countries where Streets of Love was a top 20 hit single (top 20 in four, top 10 in five).

Mick Taylor was touring with them at the time -- what was meant was that he wasn't brought out on stage to play on it. Setlist.fm has it as Mick Taylor playing on SOL: [www.setlist.fm]

SOL may very well find its way into the set list again this year, because they will be playing in Italy, plus the Netherlands where SOL went to #5. Spain as well, where SOL was a #1 hit single.

Just as with U.S. audiences for Miss You, the boys like to remind the audience of the last big #1 hit they had in a given country.

So, when titles of songs they're rehearsing for the Euro tour start getting leaked to IORR, as they invariably will, don't be surprised if you find you're Shit Out of Luck with SOL.

Streets of Love went to no.1 in Spain? The main national chart? confused smiley

Date: June 14, 2017 21:03

Harlem Shuffler
Streets of Love went to no.1 in Spain? The main national chart? confused smiley
Yes... [books.google.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 14, 2017 21:05

stonehearted
Hairball

Looks like Mick T is bored to h.... :-)

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 14, 2017 21:07

I'm a giant Mick Taylor fan. When does he NOT look bored to tears? You can count them on one hand.

Date: June 14, 2017 21:23

stonehearted
Hairball

Yes I do know Mick Taylor was touring with them at the time as I saw several shows in the States - the best shows since Licks, and the last of the truly great shows imo.
What I didn't realize was that his talent could be wasted on SOL given the limited amount of time on stage he was given.

When Dandelion stated "It was back in the setlist in 2014, with and without Mick Taylor", it wasn't clear what he meant I suppose, and when you say "what was meant was that he wasn't brought out on stage to play on it. Setlist.fm has it as Mick Taylor playing on SOL" it only really adds to the confusion. If he wasn't brought out on stage to play it, is Setlist.fm wrong?
To simplify: Was Mick Taylor not on board for all 2014 shows? Or did he play on SOL only for select dates?

As for being Shit Out of Luck if it's played again lol, not me as I'm not attending any of show for the upcoming tour. I do hope that those who enjoy SOL will have it played for them!
And for those who can't stand it, guess they'll be shit out of luck...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 14, 2017 21:41

Hairball
stonehearted
Hairball

Yes I do know Mick Taylor was touring with them at the time as I saw several shows in the States - the best shows since Licks, and the last of the truly great shows imo.
What I didn't realize was that his talent could be wasted on SOL given the limited amount of time on stage he was given.

When Dandelion stated "It was back in the setlist in 2014, with and without Mick Taylor", it wasn't clear what he meant I suppose, and when you say "what was meant was that he wasn't brought out on stage to play on it. Setlist.fm has it as Mick Taylor playing on SOL" it only really adds to the confusion. If he wasn't brought out on stage to play it, is Setlist.fm wrong?
To simplify: Was Mick Taylor not on board for all 2014 shows? Or did he play on SOL only for select dates?

As for being Shit Out of Luck if it's played again lol, not me as I'm not attending any of show for the upcoming tour. I do hope that those who enjoy SOL will have it played for them!

Rome, June 22 2014. It was well documented on this site and can be found in the 2014 tour section. I guess Doxa would call you a "Tayorite"?? >grinning smiley<

Date: June 14, 2017 23:35

Maindefender
Hairball
stonehearted
Hairball

Rome, June 22 2014. It was well documented on this site and can be found in the 2014 tour section. I guess Doxa would call you a "Tayorite"?? >grinning smiley<

A "Taylorite" maybe so, but not as devout and hardcore as others otherwise I might have known about MT playing on SOL!
I did breeze through a couple of dates and setlists to no avail as I mentioned above, and just because it was well documented....well I can't remember everything!
So...I guess that's the only date MT played SOL? Poor guy....I ask again: was he given the chance to solo, or was he relegated to rhythm and/or acoustic guitar?
And when stonehearted stated "... he wasn't brought out on stage to play on it"....well what does that mean? Did he parachute in?
Or was he hiding backstage when he played it? Or maybe he was under the stage like Blondie? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-14 23:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 15, 2017 01:01

RipThisBone
Hairball
Maindefender
RipThisBone
Hairball
RipThisBone
Hairball
Maindefender
waterrats
WOAH!

So in September we have the Stones on tour with 2 new albums in the back ... what a band! smiling bouncing smiley

Wait what?? confused smileyconfused smiley

Probably still referring to B&L as a "new" album?

Would one or two songs from BLUE & LONESOME and/or one or two songs from "NO FILTER" on the next European Tour stop your whining?

Waterrats is right.

Wait what??confused smileyconfused smiley

Who is whining, and how is Waterrats right?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Wake up you.......

Seems RipThisBone is whining about all the whiners, yet I see no whining in this thread.
Go back to sleep RipThisBone...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....the real whining doesn't start until the tour begins.
Unless you just like to whine for the sake of it....

No thanks,
I think I was dreaming about the whining aspect of a new album and tour. Sorry.
See you there!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Of course, waterrats is right:

Question: which of the B&L songs have been played life on a gig recently?

Answer: none.

(right?!)

Now, if they finish a new album this summer and go on tour this autumn, now how many NEW albums can they choose from to please us????????

Eagerly waiting for your response,
scincerely,
waterrats

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 01:04 by waterrats.

Date: June 15, 2017 01:02

Hairball
And when stonehearted stated "... he wasn't brought out on stage to play on it"....well what does that mean? Did he parachute in?
Or was he hiding backstage when he played it? Or maybe he was under the stage like Blondie? winking smiley
Heh-heh -- sorry to add to the confusion. I was merely attempting to paraphrase what was meant by what another poster was saying -- Was it Dandie? -- about Mick Taylor not playing on SOL. I suppose that should teach me to try and speak for someone else's quote! smiling smiley I do seem to remember viewing a YouTube clip of that particular performance of SOL to see what Taylor might add -- to my memory, he added nothing in particular.

However, on that same tour I do still recall vividly one viewing of a YouTube clip when Keith brought MT out for his solo spot to play on Slipping Away, and I remember thinking he added some poignant and memorable touches. Now, let's see... Ah! Found it: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: June 15, 2017 02:06

DandelionPowderman
What makes Rough Justice horrible? I thought it rocked.

I agree!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 15, 2017 02:51

Hairball
When I see the initials SOL I think of Shit Out of Luck. Horrible tune studio and live imo...forcing it on the audience as if it was a worthy tune.
It was more of a Bon Jovi tune than a Stones tune - a power ballad that was thankfully buried from all setlists afterwards.
I highly doubt we'll ever see another one of those from the Stones ever again. Seems the whining has begun...wake up RipThisBone!

I really don't get the hate for SOL. It's just a ballad. Like As Tears go By or Play With Fire to my ears, with a slightly "bigger" chorus. I enjoy it.

Rod

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 15, 2017 02:59

bitusa2012
Hairball

I really don't get the hate for SOL. It's just a ballad. Like As Tears go By or Play With Fire to my ears, with a slightly "bigger" chorus. I enjoy it.
It's classic Jagger, i neither understand the stick it gets.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:16

Hairball
stonehearted
Hairball

SOL may very well find its way into the set list again this year, because they

will be playing in Italy, plus the Netherlands where SOL went to #5. Spain as well, where SOL was a #1 hit single.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:17

Hairball
stonehearted
Hairball

Here it is :

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 15, 2017 03:21

DandelionPowderman
What makes Rough Justice horrible? I thought it rocked.

He meant Streets Of Ugghhh.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:23

Hairball

INDEED!!!!!!!! Although for a while some people were calling it something else.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:27

geordiestone
bitusa2012
Hairball

It's just an awful bad ballad. It is a bit like As Tears Go By - just a young maudlin Jagger - but it's nothing like Play With Fire.

That is outright insulting to compared a horrible ballad with a fantastic ballad! You are a fake fan! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

OK, well, I meant the first part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 02:51 by GasLightStreet.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:36

waterrats

(right?!)

WRONG!!!

2016 being recently, they played Ride 'Em On Down 10-7-16, Just Your Fool 10-14-16 and Ride 'Em On Down 1022-16 - ironically their last 3 gigs on a tour... recently.

Date: June 15, 2017 03:38

mtaylor
bitusa2012
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
They're rehearsing THREE MONTHS BEFORE THE FIRST DATE.

Those must be some complicated surprises!

That's how long it takes for Keith to re-learn JJF ans BS winking smiley

And Start me Up at Hyde Park!!
Stones will perform in Hyde Park June 30 instead of Phil Collins who fell over a door step and got terribly injured. Get well soon Phil.

Eh, no.

Date: June 15, 2017 08:03

GasLightStreet
geordiestone
bitusa2012
Hairball

It's just a awful bad ballad. It is a bit like As Tears Go By - just a young maudlin Jagger - but it's nothing like Play With Fire.

That is outright insulting to compared a horrible ballad with a fantastic ballad! You are a fake fan! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

OK, well, I meant the first part.

Play With Fire is dangerous and mean, and an all time favorite of mine, while SOL is cuddly and warm...in a phony sappy way...I can see why some young girls might like it though.
As Tears Go By is also a classic - the lyrics are a thousand time more meaningful than silly SOL. And to think ATGB was written way back in 1964...amazing.

GasLightStreet
waterrats

(right?!)

WRONG!!!

2016 being recently, they played Ride 'Em On Down 10-7-16, Just Your Fool 10-14-16 and Ride 'Em On Down 1022-16 - ironically their last 3 gigs on a tour... recently.

That is correct, and as a witness to all of them I can honestly say that those new tunes - along with Midnight Rambler of course- were the absolute highlights.
Live With Me and Paint it Black at Desert Trip II were also memorably great, as was Sweet Virgina and Get Off My Cloud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 08:07 by Hairball.

Date: June 15, 2017 08:20

stonehearted
Hairball

No, I meant that he played on it. He played on Slipping Away, too.

They also played SOL without him on the 14 On Fire-tour smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 08:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 15, 2017 08:56

why would mick taylor bring playing on SOL live?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2017 08:58

....cause he's awfully bad ?

ROCKMAN

Date: June 15, 2017 09:23

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
Hairball

Yes, Dandie, I'm sure I was explaining your quote wrongly -- hadn't had my second cuppa coffee yet. smiling smiley

However, with or without MT SOL was, for me, forgettable.

Still, what he did with Slipping Away was rather nice, and memorable -- Uh oh, does that make me a "Keithette"?.

Date: June 15, 2017 09:28

keefriffhard4life
why would mick taylor bring playing on SOL live?
Rockman
....cause he's awfully bad ?
Worst guitar player ever in the Stones! To prove it, I’ll bet if they play SOL on this tour, they won’t bring Mick Taylor back. Then we’ll know…

Date: June 15, 2017 09:54

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
Hairball

Yes, Dandie, I'm sure I was explaining your quote wrongly -- hadn't had my second cuppa coffee yet. smiling smiley

However, with or without MT SOL was, for me, forgettable.

Still, what he did with Slipping Away was rather nice, and memorable -- Uh oh, does that make me a "Keithette"?.

LOL, I thought he did nice on both of those tracks, actually.

It was supposedly Keith who snuck him on stage for those numbers, without Mick's (Jagger's) knowledge smiling smiley

Date: June 15, 2017 09:55

Here is the real version with Taylor. The official SOL live video has sound from 2007.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home