Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...380381382383384385386387388389390...LastNext
Current Page: 385 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2019 10:22

rbp
They really should stop touring for a year and get into a studio as a group and finish the album. I am sure the world can do without the Stones touring for 12 months - they have been at it since 2012.

I'm not sure they could easily stop touring for a whole year now ... it's probably now a case of "use it or lose it"

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 25, 2019 11:32

It's a joke.

"Creative" artists that can't create.

They've become the world's greatest cruise ship band. Same old, same old as they travel the world in luxury.

Rod

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: October 25, 2019 11:46

Spud
rbp
They really should stop touring for a year and get into a studio as a group and finish the album. I am sure the world can do without the Stones touring for 12 months - they have been at it since 2012.

I'm not sure they could easily stop touring for a whole year now ... it's probably now a case of "use it or lose it"

Use it in the studio as opposed to on the road. Don't think it would take much time for Keith to lose it. I think Mick, Ronnie and perhaps Charlie would be ok with extended time off touring.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 26, 2019 11:34

In truth their touring schedules shouldn't prevent them from having the time to work on an album if that's what they want to do.

They tour for a couple months and then have a few months off

[...not so long off as to get seriously ring rusty and make it too much like hard work to fire up the engines again .]

Yes ,they're old in years...but they're also very well looked after... and you're not telling me they're too knackered to make a record after playing two shows a week for a couple of months.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 00:00

Anybody think any of these titles will appear on the new album?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 30, 2019 00:29

Ronnie is just making this up because he's tired of painting the same setlist song titles over and over ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Seriously now, I think we pondered this list before, no? (Can't remember.) Judging by the date of Dec 2015, this must have been a pre-brickwall session.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 00:34

doitywoik
Ronnie is just making this up because he's tired of painting the same setlist song titles over and over ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Seriously now, I think we pondered this list before, no? (Can't remember.) Judging by the date of Dec 2015, this must have been a pre-brickwall session.

I believe so, but I'm not sure lol. I think someone said that video of Mick playing harmonica to a new song last year was "Bad Luck Hideaway."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2019 00:50

JordyLicks96
doitywoik

I believe so, but I'm not sure lol. I think someone said that video of Mick playing harmonica to a new song last year was "Bad Luck Hideaway."

Doitywoik is correct - this was all pondered years ago.
Not sure exactly when, but probably pre-"hitting the wall" just prior to Blue and Lonesome.

Notice Ronnie's scribbling that says: "at 6:30 they cut their first track for 82 years"...and then BAM! they suddenly hit a wall.
Fast forward to the future 200 years later and there may be a new album!

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 30, 2019 01:04

JordyLicks96
doitywoik

It has been confirmed by a few on here that the harmonica video Mick posted was Bad Luck Hideaway. I kind of remember someone saying the title has changed. I like the title Bad Luck Hideaway. No word on what the "I really wanna tell the truth" was.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 30, 2019 01:40

I do remember the harp video but can't remember any statement (or speculation) as to the title of the song.

Speaking of remembering, a few years from now the Stones as well as we will have forgotten anyway what an album is, kind of the blessings of old age: "Al...bum? I know Al the bum but what's an al...bum?" LOL

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2019 01:49

…..mmmm yeah I saw the video and the way they
treated the recent Abbey Road remastered 15 album set …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:01

Okay, so I apologize ahead of time for mentioning him in this thread, but Justin Bieber is asking his fans to "like" his Instagram post. If he gets 20 million hits, he will release a new album before Christmas
Maybe the Stones should consider this? Desperate times call for desperate measures...

Date: October 30, 2019 13:03

….. na... there's only about 3 people
on here that know how ta post on Instagram ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:12

Rockman

Good one!

Date: October 30, 2019 13:19

CJFP
JordyLicks96
doitywoik

It has been confirmed by a few on here that the harmonica video Mick posted was Bad Luck Hideaway. I kind of remember someone saying the title has changed. I like the title Bad Luck Hideaway. No word on what the "I really wanna tell the truth" was.

Not sure if that tune (jam) was in G, though...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 30, 2019 14:22

DandelionPowderman

Thank you for raising that point, Bard. That's just the sort of feedback I needed from someone more musically educated (and gifted) than me. I'll take that as confirmation that the source was not truly reliable.

Congrats on your album, by the way. Once I got over the initial shock that it isn't trying to be The Stones on every track, I appreciated the time and talent it took to put it together and deliver an artistic statement of both your musical identity and what is in your own heart as a lyricist.

Date: October 30, 2019 14:34

JordyLicks96
I think someone said that video of Mick playing harmonica to a new song last year was "Bad Luck Hideaway."

I shared that bit of misinformation that Dandy has just debunked in his post above. Sometimes it doesn't pay to share info even when people encourage you to do so.

Most recently, I heard (but didn't post on IORR) that the band was in L.A. recording on the same weekend that Mick, Ronnie, and Don Was were in London for Ronnie's screening. Now it may be they were recording in London and we find out later that bit of encouraging news (if true, Ronnie will doubtless confirm while promoting his solo gigs in November), but it's also possible people like winding others up knowing word travels fast between emails and message boards.

It's unfortunate, but as Bjornulf said, there are lots of rumors these days and few of them pan out.

Date: October 30, 2019 17:31

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

Thank you for raising that point, Bard. That's just the sort of feedback I needed from someone more musically educated (and gifted) than me. I'll take that as confirmation that the source was not truly reliable.

Congrats on your album, by the way. Once I got over the initial shock that it isn't trying to be The Stones on every track, I appreciated the time and talent it took to put it together and deliver an artistic statement of both your musical identity and what is in your own heart as a lyricist.

I must confess, though, that I only listened twice to the clip back when it was posted here smiling smiley

If anyone finds it, we can confirm/rule out if it's in G.

The other song (Mick alone, playing guitar) is in G, though.

Thanks, Bill thumbs up

Date: October 30, 2019 19:40

There's always been Stones rumours floating around ….
….. I've heard a million over the years …..

Mick Jagger has been spotted in coastal towns ….
Keith's been seen drinking in a bar just out of Kalgoolie ……..

Ya just learn to swim thru it all and keep lovin' and laughin ' …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 21:15

Rockman
Inst...what??

Date: October 30, 2019 22:02

Inst...what??

Now see iraq0708 ..... there's an honest guy …….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 31, 2019 02:25

Rockman
There's always been Stones rumours floating around ….
….. I've heard a million over the years …..
Keith's been seen drinking in a bar just out of Kalgoolie ……..

Ya just learn to swim thru it all and keep lovin' and laughin ' …….

Well when it's you they've spotted in Kalgoorlie, it's no wonder you were laughing.

Date: October 31, 2019 02:51

…. yeah well I did work in Kalgoorlie years ago ….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 31, 2019 02:52

…. yeah well I did work in Kalgoorlie years ago ….

highest & widest bars ive ever seen … so the goldminers couldn't grab the barmaids .… TRUE ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 31, 2019 14:05

My knowledge of Australian gold mines is limited to Guy Boothby novels and Sapper's Jim Maitland stories, but I believe there is a passage in one of the Maitlands to that effect about the bars being built up to protect the assets.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 31, 2019 19:46

Would I love another new album? Yes of course I would. In an ideal world of course. But seriously, why should the band bother? Whatever they might put together will be criticised endlessly. Compared unfavourably to recordings from the great days. Damned with faint praise, condescended to, and castigated for being just another cash-generating exercise. We have heard it all before. And the band do not deserve it.

At this time, in the twilight of their years, they have earned - more than earned - the right to decide whether to go through the hassle of making another album, or not. I find it surprising, and a little sad, to discern an element of entitlement in some of the comments posted. Almost like the band are being accused of disrespecting their fans by not making another album. When they made the wonderful Blue And Lonesome album there were a number of similar criticisms made. In that case that they were not bothered enough to put together an album of originals.

At a time when so many of their contemporaries are either (a) dead, (b) long retired, or (c) indifferent to their fans, The Stones are still out there - despite health scares - still performing, and still providing crowd pleasing performances for a sizeable chunk of every year. And I, for one, am very happy they are still doing so, and doing it as wholeheartedly as ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 31, 2019 19:54

GerardHennessy
At a time when so many of their contemporaries are either (a) dead, (b) long retired, or (c) indifferent to their fans, The Stones are still out there - despite health scares - still performing, and still providing crowd pleasing performances for a sizeable chunk of every year

Indeed, and that's one of the reasons most of us still love the Stones. thumbs up
At the same time, there's so many other contemporaries of theirs who continue to release new music AND perform live, and we should be thankful to them for putting in double duty.
Whether you're a fan or not (and some of them I am not)- hats off to The Who, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney,....even Ringo (!), etc., etc., etc. for all they do.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2019 20:17

GerardHennessy
Would I love another new album? Yes of course I would. In an ideal world of course. But seriously, why should the band bother? Whatever they might put together will be criticised endlessly. Compared unfavourably to recordings from the great days. Damned with faint praise, condescended to, and castigated for being just another cash-generating exercise. We have heard it all before. And the band do not deserve it.

Eh, they're not really gonna hear any of it, because it's been happening for decades anyway.

Cash grab? HA HA HA HA HA! That's hilarious.

GerardHennessy
At this time, in the twilight of their years, they have earned - more than earned - the right to decide whether to go through the hassle of making another album, or not. I find it surprising, and a little sad, to discern an element of entitlement in some of the comments posted. Almost like the band are being accused of disrespecting their fans by not making another album. When they made the wonderful Blue And Lonesome album there were a number of similar criticisms made. In that case that they were not bothered enough to put together an album of originals.

They kind of set themselves up for that kind of thing by Mick saying "Oh we're still a functioning band, look" and we get 4 shit songs on another greatest hits album... or 2 new Stonesy sounding songs on another greatest hits album... and nothing but the same old songs on these tours that ignore everything past 1981 except on extreme occasions.

I love BLUE AND LONESOME. Of course it was easy for them to do. All of their sessions are full of blues recordings - they probably have about 10 blues albums worth of recordings - it just happened this time that they decided to make an album out of it. People took that as a weakness and took things out of context to criticize. The reality of that is the ones criticizing are such a minority of the fan base that it means nothing.

Quite frankly, I don't see why anyone cares that they put out B&L - it's what they love to do. If it's their last release so be it.

GerardHennessy
At a time when so many of their contemporaries are either (a) dead, (b) long retired, or (c) indifferent to their fans, The Stones are still out there - despite health scares - still performing, and still providing crowd pleasing performances for a sizeable chunk of every year. And I, for one, am very happy they are still doing so, and doing it as wholeheartedly as ever.

No argument there, except you left out that others are still recording new music.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 1, 2019 03:34

No argument from me with any of the points you make. I'm merely setting out the many well-known reasons why the band probably won't bother to make another full new album. We may get some new tracks tacked on to more reissues. Or maybe not. If they do put out anything new I will of course buy it, as I have bought almost everything they have ever put out. Am I stupid for doing so? Probably! But what the heck! I'll be rushing to my local record store very soon to buy the Let It Bleed 50th anniversary box. Then again a week later to grab hold of Bridges To Buenos Aires. I'm a marketing executives dream!

And you are completely correct in your mocking response to the oft-repeated and ludicrous suggestion that a new album would make them millions. There is an excellent thread elsewhere on this forum showing the decreasing numbers of units each new release has sold over the past few decades. IF the band do make another studio album it will shift a few million copies around the world, and may cover the costs of actually making it. But it will not generate a vast profit. Probably no profit at all.

Finally, you are also correct in pointing out that there are several other veteran performers still making new music. It was not my intention to imply that the Stones stand alone in this respect, merely that a lot of their contemporaries have packed it in by now. But Van Morrison, The Who, Springsteen - to mention just three - are still out there and kicking. And more power to them, and those others still in the game, too. Long may they continue.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 1, 2019 03:50

Rockman

highest .. bars ive ever seen … so the goldminers couldn't grab the barmaids .… TRUE ...

I am so short I went UNDER them...

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...380381382383384385386387388389390...LastNext
Current Page: 385 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home