Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...377378379380381382383384385386387...LastNext
Current Page: 382 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: October 17, 2019 03:36

GasLightStreet
Way in the future if anyone bothers to become a fan of them and knows next to nothing about their touring, they'll see the gap from 2005 to 2016 and probably wonder... what the hell happened, and then see their last album 4, 5, however many years later... and do some math...

In my opinion, that math, alas, has already been done. It's 38 years and counting since the Stones released anything of any musical or cultural consequence or anything which will be part of their legacy a hundred years from now. A new album should one eventually arrive will no doubt continue that 4-decade trend,

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 17, 2019 12:15

mailexile67
I think London would be the logical choice close Christmas holyday

Also, three of the four main participants live in London (mostly) so it seems the obvious location.
Just a thought: does Keith actually have to fly over from the States? With modern technology at their disposal they can surely link directly with him to a studio of his choosing. I thought having all musicians in the same studio at the same time these days was old hat?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:08

At least Mick, Ronnie, and Don Was were in London together this weekend for Ronnie's screening. Anyone know where Keith and Charlie were?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 17, 2019 16:02

I think it's safe to say now there's not going to be a new Stones album in 2019.

Date: October 17, 2019 17:22

NilsHolgersson
I think it's safe to say now there's not going to be a new Stones album in 2019.

Of course. They have booked studio time in December smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:58

LazarusSmith
GasLightStreet
Way in the future if anyone bothers to become a fan of them and knows next to nothing about their touring, they'll see the gap from 2005 to 2016 and probably wonder... what the hell happened, and then see their last album 4, 5, however many years later... and do some math...

In my opinion, that math, alas, has already been done. It's 38 years and counting since the Stones released anything of any musical or cultural consequence or anything which will be part of their legacy a hundred years from now. A new album should one eventually arrive will no doubt continue that 4-decade trend,

I think any fan can handle that, we'd all be suckered into the anticipation anyway, a bit like going to a show these days where the playing is light years away from even 1997...Unfortunately Mick and Keith are pretending they can still come up with "something great". Unless they change their mind, that means no new album, ever.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 18, 2019 00:15

Great is a relative term. Will we get a new album in 2020? I believe we will. After that, there will be even more in the can to sift through, tinker with, and package. The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger won't last forever, but they'll keep the cart on the track for a good while yet, I believe.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 18, 2019 03:20

Rocky Dijon
Great is a relative term. Will we get a new album in 2020? I believe we will. After that, there will be even more in the can to sift through, tinker with, and package. The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger won't last forever, but they'll keep the cart on the track for a good while yet, I believe.

Yes, I believe that too.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 18, 2019 04:02

At least, it would be nice if it finally came out in 2020. As there were statements (if memory serves, by Mick?) that is would be "ecclectic", this could mean either very interesting or rather hotchpotch. I'm quite optimistic they won't release total crap. Whether it will outshine SF or EOMS is another question (although I wouldn't mind) but that doesn't seem necessary to me anyway. I'll be fine if it qualifies as decent.

Date: October 18, 2019 04:14

They're very old men who lived hard much of their lives. Expecting a classic so late in the day seems pointless. I'll be quite content to like some of the songs enough to play them happily six months after they're released.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 18, 2019 04:45

doitywoik
At least, it would be nice if it finally came out in 2020. As there were statements (if memory serves, by Mick?) that is would be "ecclectic", this could mean either very interesting or rather hotchpotch. I'm quite optimistic they won't release total crap. Whether it will outshine SF or EOMS is another question (although I wouldn't mind) but that doesn't seem necessary to me anyway. I'll be fine if it qualifies as decent.

Take it or Leave it.....possible new album title.winking smiley

Be it eclectic, or be it cohesive...be it great, or be it crap...be it average, or be it excellent...at this point who really cares...the Stones need to release a new album of originals to end the 15 year draught!

Believe it or Not...another possible new album title.

Date: October 18, 2019 04:52

Unfortunately, Believe It If You Need It is already occupied ... winking smiley

Date: October 18, 2019 05:02

smiling smiley

For Ian - Don't Stop Believing
Another for Ian - Only Fools Believe

grinning smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 05:03

Rocky Dijon
They're very old men who lived hard much of their lives. Expecting a classic so late in the day seems pointless. I'll be quite content to like some of the songs enough to play them happily six months after they're released.

As a Springsteen fan as well, I can say that at age 69, he released what many fans, MANY fans and critics alike, say is a classic Bruce album in Western Stars.

Age is no barrier to creativity. As good as Exile or Sticky F or Beggars? Probably not. But The Stones could have it in them. I take solace in Bruce's capacity to do it.

And, in part, to Keith Richard's CrossEyed Heart. It's NOT earth shatteringly great, but it IS ABSOLUTELY essential in Keith's catalogue.

And THAT would be good enough for me from The Stones.

Rod

Date: October 18, 2019 05:42

Crosseyed Heart has a vibe to it that would also suit the Stones well. (I think I said this already somewhere round this thread before? But so what ...winking smiley). I also like the non-brickwalled sound. - Actually, there should be several new albums: a Mick-style modern(ist) album, a Keith-style album, a Ronnie-style album (yes, Ronnie too! The real fun-part would be a Charlie-style new album with the Stones making up for a big band ... winking smiley

Date: October 18, 2019 05:52

Take Crosseyed Heart, Blue and Lonesome, and two or three new Mick songs...put it all in a blender and voila - great new album.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 18, 2019 09:10

Hairball
Take Crosseyed Heart, Blue and Lonesome, and two or three new Mick songs...put it all in a blender and voila - great new album.

Add a topping of studio recordings of I'll Go Crazy and Roll Over Beethoven (1970 arrangement) as tributes to James Brown and Chuck Berry and it could even be a fantastic new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 10:43 by retired_dog.

Date: October 18, 2019 10:11

retired_dog
Hairball

Add a topping of studio recordings of I'll Go Crazy and Roll Over Beethoven (1970 arrangment) as tributes to James Brown and Chuck Berry and it could even be a fantastic new album.

Great idea, and for Roll Over Beethoven maybe bring back Bill and Mick Taylor (even if just rhythm) as guests to help give it the proper '70 vibe...it could be an unbelievably AMAZING classic new album. thumbs up

Date: October 18, 2019 15:56

OK, so now that that is settled, how do we let them know? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 18, 2019 20:10

doitywoik
OK, so now that that is settled, how do we let them know? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

We've already given them many album covers to choose from somewhere back in this thread, along with multiple album titles to choose.
And now which cover tunes to include as well as who plays what and which guests should be included. So why the delay?

Date: October 18, 2019 20:34

Who hit the brick wall, them or the obsessive fans who can't quit whining about a new album?

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:41

doitywoik
Crosseyed Heart has a vibe to it that would also suit the Stones well. (I think I said this already somewhere round this thread before? But so what ...winking smiley). I also like the non-brickwalled sound. - Actually, there should be several new albums: a Mick-style modern(ist) album, a Keith-style album, a Ronnie-style album (yes, Ronnie too! The real fun-part would be a Charlie-style new album with the Stones making up for a big band ... winking smiley
Crosseyed Heart has a very low average DR6. It is heavily compressed (loud) and sounds terrible to me.
Stephen Marcussen masters the Stones material and he applies liberal doses of unnecessary compression in his mastering. Any new Stones album will most likely be mastered extremely loud and as a result be unpleasant to listen to.

Date: October 18, 2019 20:55

Rocky Dijon
Who hit the brick wall, them or the obsessive fans who can't quit whining about a new album?

You'd have to ask Don Was as it was he who mentioned "hitting a wall".

"Obsessive fans who can't quite whining"?

Seems most fans aren't taking it all that seriously, and are simply making light of this long and drawn out process.

Date: October 19, 2019 00:14

rbp
Crosseyed Heart has a very low average DR6. It is heavily compressed (loud) and sounds terrible to me.

D'oh! Really? Even the (quasi-)acoustic numbers? You're destroying my illusions! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 04:35 by doitywoik.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:19

"eclectic", eh ? Dunno...I've never been very impressed with Keith's "musical conservatism" (with DW showing where it could lead) but I must say that I feel for him when he first heard "Gotta Get a Grip" or "England Lost", his jaw must have dropped, hehe...Well I suppose that Mick got the message that absolutely no one was interested in these tuneless "rants" and that avenue has been completely dropped.

As for "great" being relative, sure, but their current idea of "great" must be pretty farfetched if they haven't found something they could release in the 40 tracks they've worked on. Would the unreleased 2002 tracks make the grade as "great" or the stuff Mick's leaked on "social media" ? Definitely not, but pleasant to listen to, sure. I'm sure it could be spruced up quite a bit with the type of outside help they go for B2B. So when do they break down and release that type of material ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 19, 2019 04:03

There will be an album next year if all goes as planned. Keith and Don Was aside, Ronnie and Charlie still played on "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost." Word had it that there are a few similar sounding tracks among the titles Mick brought to the table this time around. Admittedly, Keith allegedly was working on adding to some of Mick's "new" songs something presumably more than just a descending melody line or an open G guitar riff. Time will tell. Hindsight, as they say, is 2020.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2019 06:07

Rocky Dijon
There will be an album next year if all goes as planned. Keith and Don Was aside, Ronnie and Charlie still played on "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost." Word had it that there are a few similar sounding tracks among the titles Mick brought to the table this time around. Admittedly, Keith allegedly was working on adding to some of Mick's "new" songs something presumably more than just a descending melody line or an open G guitar riff. Time will tell. Hindsight, as they say, is 2020.

and there you have your album's name, "Blindsight is 2020"

Date: October 19, 2019 10:03

doitywoik
rbp

D'oh! Really? Even the (quasi-)acoustic numbers? You're destroying my illusions! winking smiley

He must have gotten a flawed copy. This is NOT how it sounds.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 19, 2019 12:47

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik
rbp

The CD is heavily compressed, the vinyl version is not.

Date: October 19, 2019 13:24

MrEcho
DandelionPowderman
doitywoik
rbp

The CD is heavily compressed, the vinyl version is not.

Ah, I only have the vinyl and the cassette smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...377378379380381382383384385386387...LastNext
Current Page: 382 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home