Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...376377378379380381382383384385386...LastNext
Current Page: 381 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 11, 2019 12:45

SomeGuy
slewan
rbp
There is a reason for essentially the same setlist at every gig and his name is Keith.

really? I'm not that sure. Don't forget that Keith played five different songs during his mini-set in 2018 (Happy, The Worst, Before They Make Me Run, You Got The Silver and Slipping Away). If the other songs were to be changed like that nobody had a reason to complain about static setlists. In fact a large share of the song variation can be attributed to Keith set.

There was some disturbing news here about The Animals here last week. They refused to play, Eric Burdon actually walked on stage and said they wouldn't play, because they hadn't been paid (some €25,000 I believe). A day or so after, we heard that The Animals hadn't "handed in their set list" until the very last minute before the show, so the promoter or whatever it was, said that they breached their contract, so, no pay.
This actually implies, in my opinion, that the business side of things can dictate which songs a band has to play! I find that rather shocking.

well, I think at least the Stones are in a position to dictate the conditions.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2019 14:09

slewan
SomeGuy
slewan
rbp
There is a reason for essentially the same setlist at every gig and his name is Keith.

really? I'm not that sure. Don't forget that Keith played five different songs during his mini-set in 2018 (Happy, The Worst, Before They Make Me Run, You Got The Silver and Slipping Away). If the other songs were to be changed like that nobody had a reason to complain about static setlists. In fact a large share of the song variation can be attributed to Keith set.

There was some disturbing news here about The Animals here last week. They refused to play, Eric Burdon actually walked on stage and said they wouldn't play, because they hadn't been paid (some €25,000 I believe). A day or so after, we heard that The Animals hadn't "handed in their set list" until the very last minute before the show, so the promoter or whatever it was, said that they breached their contract, so, no pay.
This actually implies, in my opinion, that the business side of things can dictate which songs a band has to play! I find that rather shocking.

well, I think at least the Stones are in a position to dictate the conditions.

Wow. I looked it up, found this on YouTube:

Helma Meyerhans
4 days ago
Firstly we apologize to all fans, ticket buyers and participants and try to clarify some points. Especially we would like to apologize to all who have travelled over very long distances, booked hotels and stood in front of closed doors.

After the successful tour with Eric Burdon & The Animals in June 2019 at 5 locations in Lucerne, Stuttgart, Berlin, Zwickau and Munich. We all there very excited for the second part of the farewell tour taking place on 6 locations. The second part was once again prepared, planned and implemented with great financial effort. All participants including artists, management and band travelled to Amsterdam on 28 / 29.09.2019 for the tour start on 30.09.2019.

To secure and making ensure, a production meeting was held with the artist management of Eric Burdon in the person of Marianna Burdon on 30.09.2019 at 2:00 pm with additional external witnesses. It was agreed that the artist is ready to perform, by a cash payment of $ 25,000 to be paid before the start of the show. Also the entire farewell tour is ensured. We as the organizer and promoter also proofed the full amount of USD 150,000 in cash.

Construction work and soundcheck for the event on 30.09.2019 were completed at 18:45. The door was opened at 19:00. However, artist management did not submit a setlist until the start of the event at 8:00 pm. However, this is essential for holding an event of this size.
In the meantime, the management of the artist has illegally taken possession of the $ 25,000 prepared for the Amsterdam event. After arriving of the Police they acknowledge the receipt.

Before we were able to continue to operate Eric Burdon cancelled the entire tour on October 1st, 2014 at 4.39 am via social media posting. In this situation we could only react.

For all the offenses involved, we have filed a criminal complaint and asked for cooperation with other European police authorities.

All the above details can be substantiated by documents and testimonies.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 11, 2019 15:16

How unfortunate for the fans. I believe Eric Burdon is a soul whose intentions are good. Unfortunately, he was misunderstood and said, "We gotta get out of this place."

Date: October 11, 2019 15:22

<However, artist management did not submit a setlist until the start of the event at 8:00 pm. However, this is essential for holding an event of this size>

Why is the setlist essential? Just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Unfathomable...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 15:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 11, 2019 15:23

Rocky Dijon
How unfortunate for the fans. I believe Eric Burdon is a soul whose intentions are good. Unfortunately, he was misunderstood and said, "We gotta get out of this place."

Hey, it's his life, and he does what he wants.

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: October 11, 2019 16:25

So are The Stones going in the studio in December? If so, where? London?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 11, 2019 16:44

I don't think it will be British Grove or Germano this time around. I think Henson Studios in Los Angeles is the most likely location, but I suppose Guillaume Tell in Suresnes is also possible. A couple people here actually know where they are booked and when. Usually they keep quiet until it is revealed by the media first. That's only wise to protect privacy and security.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 16:45 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 11, 2019 18:42

I think London would be the logical choice close Christmas holyday

Date: October 11, 2019 20:14

DandelionPowderman

Why is the setlist essential? Just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Unfathomable...

i agree. seems like they were trying to rip off eric and the guys. if they get 2 hours to play then they can play whatever they want for 2 hours

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 11, 2019 21:46

I assume the Stones are also required to produce a set list, although by this point they are working so closely with the promoters everybody understands what they will play. ... If they went out and played Sticky Fingers, for example, I bet they wouldn't get to do that again.
Young, naive me wouldn't believe that, but then I read about them doing meet and greets with sponsors with even Keith getting out of bed to shake hands with execs from a life insurance company.

Date: October 12, 2019 05:22

wonderboy
I assume the Stones are also required to produce a set list, although by this point they are working so closely with the promoters everybody understands what they will play. ... If they went out and played Sticky Fingers, for example, I bet they wouldn't get to do that again.
Young, naive me wouldn't believe that, but then I read about them doing meet and greets with sponsors with even Keith getting out of bed to shake hands with execs from a life insurance company.

When the Stones and U2 and Bruce and other big touring acts book a tour - there's no set list. Set lists have zero to do with a band going onstage. In the case of The Animals, it sounds like an excuse the promoter used.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 12, 2019 17:29

GasLightStreet
However, artist management did not submit a setlist until the start of the event at 8:00 pm.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Apart from the musicians, the setlist is relevant rather for the lightshow or video/pyrotechnics show (if there is one) or the ballet or dancers (if there is a dance show). The Grateful Dead played sold-out shows for decades and never had anything even remotely reminiscent of a setlist before a show. The only predictable thing was that there would be Drums/Space somewhere in the middle of the second set (roughly from the 80s on), which was generally welcome for taking a leak...

It is hard to imagine Burdon&Co had a clause in their contract that required them to deliver a definitive setlist until a certain time before the show. They were not touring China or so where there might have been a requirement *not* to play particular songs.

To me, the whole things rather sounds like Eric had reason to believe he would get burned and wanted to make sure he got his pay.

Date: October 12, 2019 18:36

so did eric refuse to play or he wasn't allowed to because he didn't submit a setlist?

Date: October 12, 2019 21:35

The promoters know what the Stones will play. If they turned up and devoted shows to their early catalog, for example, their would be some ramifications.
As for Burdon, I suspect he wasn't playing his hits and the promoter forced the issue.

Date: October 12, 2019 23:39

Promoors can be pretty sure that the Stones won't play only Italian summer hits from '71 or the like. When you're playing stadiums you would certainly prefer not to play to an empty house, and the Stones aren't any different in this respect. The kind of setlist IORRians would love the most won't give them a full house ...

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 13, 2019 04:35

What do we know about their coming sessions? Anything yet?

Date: October 13, 2019 07:59

CJFP

We have to wait until (some) December.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2019 08:40

doitywoik
CJFP

We have to wait until (some) December.

If We Make It Through December

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 13, 2019 11:02

doitywoik
Promoors can be pretty sure that the Stones won't play only Italian summer hits from '71 or the like. When you're playing stadiums you would certainly prefer not to play to an empty house, and the Stones aren't any different in this respect. The kind of setlist IORRians would love the most won't give them a full house ...

Yeah but even when the Stones play the (very rare) small show, where they could play anything, they play warhorses...because it's a warm-up for the big business shows.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 16, 2019 03:27

What are we hoping for here?
Best album since Exile? Best album since B&L? Something in between?

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 16, 2019 04:07

doitywoik

If you put 2 dates in NY, LA, etc and said show #1 will be warhorses and show #2 will be there lesser known hits, both will sell out. 1st timers and casual fans from show 1 would fill out with the hardcore audience for show 2.

Date: October 16, 2019 05:24

Sounds like we should start a petition: from now on two shows in every city: a warhorse show for the masses and a rarities show for the hardcore fans (which would also attract that part of the masses that couldn't get tix for the first show) ...

Seriously now: It's clear they won't do a show with no warhorse at all but it would simply be great to have shows where you can't guess 99% of the setlist ahead. About 20 years ago (or more?) some (German, I think) magazine wrote the Stones are turning into a touring band like the Grateful Dead. In a way one might even wish they did. Sure the Dead did have their staple pieces, too, but in between there there was always unexpected stuff, and despite not being very productive on the studio front either, they kept introducing new tunes to the setlist (almost) up to the end.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 23:34

stones setlist has been quite conservative for about 3 decades, with the odd surprise or changes during shows, but most can guess 70-75% of the setlist.

back in 1976, half the setlist was a mixture of covers, black and blue and its only rock and roll, and the other half what came before.

in 1981, more than half the setlist was covers, and 1978-81 material while the rest was 1964-76.

i dont think we would ever get similar again, a real break from warhorses.

personally if they tour again, i would rotate warhorses, and completely drop others, you cant always get what you want, its only rock and roll and miss you would get the chop. start me up, sympathy for the devil, gimme shelter, midnight rambler, tumbling dice would get rotated.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: October 17, 2019 00:07

I don't understand why we continue to moan about a warhorse setlist.
If the venue holds 50,000 people probably 49,000 want to hear the well known tracks.
The 1000 (or so) of us who would love to hear an eclectic setlist most likely can't afford to pay the bands appearance fee.

I saw Kiss in 2011 and didn't recognize a NOTE until halfway through the show. I wanted to leave, actually. Luckily, they went into their warhorse songs and I had fun for the last hour.
The next night in 2011, I saw INXS perform an amazing show of mainly hits. I hope INXS calls fellow Canadian JD Fortune and hits the road, again.

Date: October 17, 2019 00:16

the well known tracks are not always the best tracks, thats the problem for many.

its ok to do paint it black, brown sugar, jj flash, satisfaction, midnight rambler, gimme shelter.

but some warhorses only have that status cos they have been played to death.

tumbling dice is not the best track on exile.

its only rock and roll is not the best track on the album.

you cant always get what you want is lame

miss you can easily be replaced with better.

there is no need to have some of these warhorses, there is far better in the pot.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: October 17, 2019 01:47

buttons67
the well known tracks are not always the best tracks, thats the problem for many.

its ok to do paint it black, brown sugar, jj flash, satisfaction, midnight rambler, gimme shelter.

there is no need to have some of these warhorses, there is far better in the pot.
I see what you mean, however we have to remember that lots of people attending a Stones concert aren't the crazy fans like us! They paid a lot of money for these tickets and they want to see the songs they know. Also, Tumbling Dice is the best on Exile grinning smiley (Don't be offended)

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:00

They have been around so long with so many fans and their music is in so many homes. It's grandparents, parents and children that have played these songs. They could pull it off. They are in a different realm. Do they play Gomper?...no but they can put together at least two 18-20 song setlists to make it both interesting enough to go to both shows and satisfied with either show.

Date: October 17, 2019 02:48

buttons67

If they played IORR and Tumbling Dice and Miss You normally ie not so damn long, I'm guessing you probably wouldn't say that. Because those songs, sans IORR, are great songs. There's a bias about those songs (and for some even Brown Sugar, Satisfaction and Jumpin' Jack Flash) because they play them for so damn long, which I find completely unnecessary for them to do: for me, anyway, it makes me not want to hear them live - it doesn't detract from them being great songs, which they are.

I flip the station when Angie comes on and don't include it in any playlists - yet at the show this year, I was impressed with how they performed it.

What any of that has to do with a supposed new LP is beyond me, because since 1989 only 2 songs have become modern day warhorses - You Got Me Rocking and Out Of Control. Nothing else is given a chance to be enjoyed live in any consistent manner post-1981: it's as if all those albums don't exist.

Date: October 17, 2019 03:08

From reading the boxscores thread and all about touring making money and record sales being pathetic for making money, perhaps the only reason they Stones are supposedly making a new album is just because, and for whatever reason, it occurred to them to start on it a while back and produced a blues album along the way.

It certainly isn't for money - they don't need to do it at all for money. Everyone knows that.

If they bother to finish it, it will most likely be just because. Other artists/bands are driven to record new records. The Stones aren't. Solo wise they're barely interested.

This will be the last one based on what Mick has stated. If it happens. Way in the future if anyone bothers to become a fan of them and knows next to nothing about their touring, they'll see the gap from 2005 to 2016 and probably wonder... what the hell happened, and then see their last album 4, 5, however many years later... and do some math...

Date: October 17, 2019 03:29

if anyone in the future becomes a fan i hope they dont think the stones done nothing from 1989 onwards, ok so it wasnt as much, about 30% of total output studio wise, not counting that its poorer quality but they done some damn good tours that are well worth getting into.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...376377378379380381382383384385386...LastNext
Current Page: 381 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1949
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home