Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...692693694695696697698699700701702...LastNext
Current Page: 697 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 9, 2023 07:20

treaclefingers
Hairball

The latest Macca-Stones news is encouraging and uplifting though, and thanks to Paul for keeping the hope alive, even against the odds!

Indeed! If it weren't for the ex Beatle playing bass on that track, I doubt they would have been able to finish the album!

grinning smiley Exactly. Where would they be without The Guiding Light of Macca?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 9, 2023 07:33

Perhaps they’ll take a page from Taylor Swift’s playbook and release 4 versions of the album. And now imagine if they did 4 completely ifferent versions such that one would have to buy all four to get all the songs!!! Won’t ever happen but one can dream.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 9, 2023 07:40

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
From a interview with Paul McCartney for Brazil's O Globo:

"Paul McCartney says it was "a lot of fun" to record a guest appearance, playing bass, on the new Rolling Stones album.

— One day I was having dinner with Ronnie (Wood, guitarist for the Stones), I asked how the recordings were going and he said to me: “Oh, sometimes I have to mediate between Mick (Jagger, vocals) and Keith (Richards , guitarist)..." And then I said that I had a guy to help them, Andrew Watt, the producer I was working with. Later we even found out that Mick was already talking to him – he reveals. — And then Andrew asked me one day, “Would you like to play bass on some tracks?”

After recording two Stones songs, Paul came home like a little boy:

“I realized that I had known these guys forever, that I had been to their shows, and they to ours, and that John (Lennon) and I had even done some backing vocals for one of their songs. But I had never played with them, all together, in the same room. So I loved it."

[oglobo.globo.com]

Thanks Cristiano for the latest Macca-Stones news. thumbs up

Now it's two songs from Paul?!!!! Will both new tunes make it on to the new Stones album?
And if there is indeed two tunes featuring Paul, maybe there will be a cover tune AND an original...the possibilities of pondering either are endless.

Will the original be a rocker? A ballad? A dance tune? Maybe something traditional/bluesy, or something edgy/contemporary??
Will the cover be a Beatles tune? A Stones tune? Or maybe even both with a remake of I Wanna Be Your Man? Or maybe an old blues cover? Or a Motown cover? Or maybe it will simply be two originals or two covers?
Something tells me the mythical tune Paul and Keith wrote together will finally see the light of day...that sure would be a treat. Whatever the case, Pauls excellent bass playing will be a welcome addition imo.
Hopefully Bill's contribution will be just as major and celebrated in the same way. And then there's Elton John, Ben Waters, and other possible guests to ponder (Dua Lipa?), not to mention the multiple producers.
Seems like a lot of commotion just to record a single album with so many guests and producers involved, but hopefully they will narrow it all down to the best of the best. It's been along time coming...

Bridges part II anyone!?!? How ironic that so many on here loathe the latter day output and yet many of us are yearning for something on par with Bridges. Arguably their last great album. Phenomenal tour, great songs, awesome artwork.

I do hope they put time effort and thought into the title and cover. And I’d definitely love for the track list to play as if it were a record first and foremost and then a CD or digital download. Think about song placement.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2023 08:04

24FPS
Three tracks with decent bass players, sounds good. Would be interesting to hear Paul play on a Charlie track, and a Jordan track. Same with Bill, but I assume he's only on a Charlie track.

I still think it would have been great to have Ringo on a track or two as was originally rumoured. Imagine...Ringo teaming up with with either Bill or Paul on a Rolling Stones album...seems a missed opportunity imo.
With all the other special guests, not to mention the multiple producers, why not go all out? That said, having Paul playing on two songs is enough Beatles input, but having Paul AND Ringo might have been better.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2023 08:31

Having Ringo drum on one or more tunes... would be incredible. With (or less likely) without Paul.

Why not?

At this point - it's a celebration. And as Paul alluded to, a return of gratitude, or something like that, with All We Need Is Love.

So long ago... yet here we are, 300 years later or whatever it is.

No matter. If what The Rolling Stones recorded with Paul McCartney on bass makes the album, great. The biggest unfortunate, is that it wasn't with Charlie, at least live in the studio. That's as bad as it gets. Then again, maybe Paul overdubbed on a song with Charlie.

No matter if it's with the Steve Jordan Stones era. I think Paul might say something. He does know a little bit about songwriting.

Of course, if the Stones, with Charlie, recorded live with Paul, Charlie might say:

That was nice. I rather liked it.

Date: August 9, 2023 08:42

Speaking of Charlie and Paul...all those years ago...

Date: August 9, 2023 09:26

Hairball

I still think it would have been great to have Ringo on a track or two as was originally rumoured.

- -

having Paul playing on two songs is enough Beatles input, but having Paul AND Ringo might have been better.

At one point you hoped the album would be all Charlie.

[iorr.org]

Hard to keep up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 09:26 by Topi.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2023 09:32

.... thats good ole U-Turn Eric for ya ..... HHHaaaaaaaaAAAA

ROCKMAN

Date: August 9, 2023 09:37

VoodooLounge13
Perhaps they’ll take a page from Taylor Swift’s playbook and release 4 versions of the album. And now imagine if they did 4 completely ifferent versions such that one would have to buy all four to get all the songs!!! Won’t ever happen but one can dream.

They could always follow what Paul did with his last album McCartney III. A few months after that was released, he put out McCartney III Reimagined - a remix of the original album featuring special guest reinterpretations. Not only would the Stones original album feature multiple special guests, but the remixed/reimagined version would feature even more special guests, and be completely different from the original special guest list.
Also similar to what Mick did with Getta Grip/England Lost which included various remixes with multiple artists, but I imagine/hope the Stones album will be of much higher quality than the Jagger or Macca solo efforts.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2023 09:43

Maybe they could do a dub version
of Lavatory Lil and rename it Lavatory Chain .......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 9, 2023 10:00

Rockman
.... thats good ole U-Turn Eric for ya ..... HHHaaaaaaaaAAAA

I'm thinking they'll include Keep Up Blues on the new album.

Date: August 9, 2023 10:29

VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

"Paul McCartney says it was "a lot of fun" to record a guest appearance, playing bass, on the new Rolling Stones album.

— One day I was having dinner with Ronnie (Wood, guitarist for the Stones), I asked how the recordings were going and he said to me: “Oh, sometimes I have to mediate between Mick (Jagger, vocals) and Keith (Richards , guitarist)..." And then I said that I had a guy to help them, Andrew Watt, the producer I was working with. Later we even found out that Mick was already talking to him – he reveals. — And then Andrew asked me one day, “Would you like to play bass on some tracks?”

“I realized that I had known these guys forever, that I had been to their shows, and they to ours, and that John (Lennon) and I had even done some backing vocals for one of their songs. But I had never played with them, all together, in the same room. So I loved it."

[oglobo.globo.com]

Now it's two songs from Paul?!!!! Will both new tunes make it on to the new Stones album?
And if there is indeed two tunes featuring Paul, maybe there will be a cover tune AND an original...the possibilities of pondering either are endless.

Will the original be a rocker? A ballad? A dance tune? Maybe something traditional/bluesy, or something edgy/contemporary??
Will the cover be a Beatles tune? A Stones tune? Or maybe even both with a remake of I Wanna Be Your Man? Or maybe an old blues cover? Or a Motown cover? Or maybe it will simply be two originals or two covers?
Something tells me the mythical tune Paul and Keith wrote together will finally see the light of day...that sure would be a treat. Whatever the case, Pauls excellent bass playing will be a welcome addition imo.
Hopefully Bill's contribution will be just as major and celebrated in the same way. And then there's Elton John, Ben Waters, and other possible guests to ponder (Dua Lipa?), not to mention the multiple producers.
Seems like a lot of commotion just to record a single album with so many guests and producers involved, but hopefully they will narrow it all down to the best of the best. It's been along time coming...

Bridges part II anyone!?!? How ironic that so many on here loathe the latter day output and yet many of us are yearning for something on par with Bridges. Arguably their last great album. Phenomenal tour, great songs, awesome artwork.

I do hope they put time effort and thought into the title and cover. And I’d definitely love for the track list to play as if it were a record first and foremost and then a CD or digital download. Think about song placement.

That might be a lot to hope for when considering the numerous guests along with the multiple producers with their vast differences and wide variety of visions. Not to mention the Keith vs. Mick factor.
Old school traditional meets new school contemporary meets everything in between, meets Keith meets Mick meets Macca meets Bill meets Elton meets everything else...a tongue twisting concept if there ever was one.
But after 18 years and counting since A Bigger Bang, this is bound to be a major accomplishment, and ultimately a celebration of Charlie and the Stones featuring a large cast of fellow musicians and all of their friends.

Date: August 9, 2023 10:30

VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

[oglobo.globo.com]

Exile part 2? There were a few guests on there as well smiling smiley

There is some really good stuff on Bridges (and some bad stuff, imo). Never liked the artwork. Missed the tour, unfortunately sad smiley

Date: August 9, 2023 10:42

Hairball

But after 18 years and counting since A Bigger Bang - -

Less than four more weeks to go until September 5th! We're getting closer.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 9, 2023 12:18

retired_dog
Hairball
Evidenty Paul plays bass on TWO tracks - not just one, or at least he recorded two songs with the Stones. See the latest news posted by Cristiano above.
Seems the Stones are indeed getting by with a little help from their friends, and whether they would have finished the album without all of the help is impossible to know for certain.

There's no indication at all that any of these guests were actually involved in the writing process, so unless proven otherwise, they just added their instrumental parts during the recording process. Consequently, these guests are just promotional "gimmicks" - and to even think that the Stones could not have been able to finish these tracks without them sounds a bit hysterical, sorry.

Macca, Wyman, Elton John and whoever else "outside helping hands" may have added some interesting colourings, but the songs were already there.

Last but not least, there's no confirmation anywhere that this will be just a "single album", could be, but could also turn out that it's going to be a double (or even triple!)...

Haha, it is impossible to know for certain if Elvis is dead or Paul is not, or if a man ever visited the moon... One cannot underestimate the power of wild imagination, especially these days. Especially if it is driven by an agenda.

But what I find interesting in Macca involvement is him taking part in the very heart of a Stones recording, the backing track (if what he says holds true). The bass has a big role there, you know, having a big hand in making the famous Stones groove. The band's been traditionally very careful or even strict about it (backing track) being right, to catch the right 'feel' , etc. There've been non-members along the years doing their contribution there for sure (sometimes just having someone around to do the task), but to me it looks like that it is not the place for invited big name guests to add stardust there. They need to fit, no matter who they are. It's a 'sacred' thing, the core of their sound. The very kitchen. Adding overdubs, coloring things - something guests typically do - is something else.

So in this sense I am curious about the Macca thing. Maybe they thought he might 'fit', or that his contribution would serve the song(s) aptly. Or maybe they just don't care that much any longer, like thinking, 'never mind the outcome, it is nice to have an old legendary rival onboard. At least it looks nice, no matter how it sounds like...'

Interesting to hear the outcome (if it makes the album...)!

- Doxa

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 13:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 9, 2023 12:38

Multiple producers? We really don’t know. Besides keeping Charlie’s drums, they could have recut all the tracks with Andrew Watt. Maybe the Glimmers canned Don Was. Who knows at this point?

Date: August 9, 2023 13:25

Bashlets
Multiple producers? We really don’t know. Besides keeping Charlie’s drums, they could have recut all the tracks with Andrew Watt. Maybe the Glimmers canned Don Was. Who knows at this point?

Well, according to Macca, he suggested Watt to help in overcoming the disagreements between Mick and Keith (he was noticed by Ronnie). If Was was still there or not, he seemingly had run out of his abilities in copying with the tension between Mick and Keith. Probably they needed a new third man.

But yeah, although the latest rumours/raports suggest that Andrew Watt is the producer, as far as I know, we don't know yet how extensive his task is. Does it cover the whole album, or just the latest sessions of it.

There's a lot we don't know, but soon many of our open questions are answered...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 13:26 by Doxa.

Date: August 9, 2023 13:47

doitywoik
DiegoGlimmerStones
From Liam on Shidoobee

I was listening to Howard Stern's surprise show on the Sirius XM app last night, and he was talking to his friend, Ross Zapin, who has strong ties to the music business. They started talking about their favourite Stones songs, and Ross mentioned that 3 people have told him they've heard the new Stones album and that it's exceptional.

Not much of an update, but good to hear good things about the new album! Can't wait to hear it

I'm wondering what these three people would have said if they thought the album is only average, or total crap. Would they have said, "I've heard the new Stones album and it's average at best, just Stones by numbers", or, "I've heard the new Stones album and it's total crap"? I don't think so. So, I wouldn't take such statements too serious.

Yeah, one should be pretty critical when hearing these opinions of some third parties who have had the priviledge to hear the not-yet-released thing. Many things matter there, politeness or gratitude especially having a big role. But if memory serves, a while ago someone else - was it Little Steven? - occasionally mentioned having heard it (or about it), and it was "pretty good" or something. That 'not-so-thrilled-sounding' remark made the negative or pessimist block here pretty satisfied.

I guess better to wait and let one's own ears make the judgment.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 13:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 9, 2023 13:54

Little Steven. A very reliable man.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 9, 2023 15:00

Rockman
Maybe they could do a dub version
of Lavatory Lil and rename it Lavatory Chain .......

Here's hoping!

I knew you were waiting for another chance to mention this stroke of Macca genious, and those who can wait will always be rewarded, right?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 9, 2023 15:21

smiling smiley Rockman really doesn’t like the Lavatory Lil. Would be funny if Paul made a dedication in Australia. Haha.

Posted by: ARB ()
Date: August 9, 2023 15:53

Is September 5th an official date or best guess?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 9, 2023 15:58

Doxa
retired_dog
Hairball
Evidenty Paul plays bass on TWO tracks - not just one, or at least he recorded two songs with the Stones. See the latest news posted by Cristiano above.
Seems the Stones are indeed getting by with a little help from their friends, and whether they would have finished the album without all of the help is impossible to know for certain.

There's no indication at all that any of these guests were actually involved in the writing process, so unless proven otherwise, they just added their instrumental parts during the recording process. Consequently, these guests are just promotional "gimmicks" - and to even think that the Stones could not have been able to finish these tracks without them sounds a bit hysterical, sorry.

Macca, Wyman, Elton John and whoever else "outside helping hands" may have added some interesting colourings, but the songs were already there.

Last but not least, there's no confirmation anywhere that this will be just a "single album", could be, but could also turn out that it's going to be a double (or even triple!)...

Haha, it is impossible to know for certain if Elvis is dead or Paul is not, or if a man ever visited the moon... One cannot underestimate the power of wild imagination, especially these days. Especially if it is driven by an agenda.

But what I find interesting in Macca involvement is him taking part in the very heart of a Stones recording, the backing track (if what he says holds true). The bass has a big role there, you know, having a big hand in making the famous Stones groove. The band's been traditionally very careful or even strict about it (backing track) being right, to catch the right 'feel' , etc. There've been non-members along the years doing their contribution there for sure (sometimes just having someone around to do the task), but to me it looks like that it is not the place for invited big name guests to add stardust there. They need to fit, no matter who they are. It's a 'sacred' thing, the core of their sound. The very kitchen. Adding overdubs, coloring things - something guests typically do - is something else.

So in this sense I am curious about the Macca thing. Maybe they thought he might 'fit', or that his contribution would serve the song(s) aptly. Or maybe they just don't care that much any longer, like thinking, 'never mind the outcome, it is nice to have an old legendary rival onboard. At least it looks nice, no matter how it sounds like...'

Interesting to hear the outcome (if it makes the album...)!

- Doxa

Yeah, interesting to hear whether these bass lines could have been played by anybody (including me!) or were another stroke of Macca genious and turned aimless ditties into masterpieces and therefore even earned him a credit like "Jagger/McCartney/Richards"!

Date: August 9, 2023 16:27

ARB

Official date for what?

Date: August 9, 2023 16:30

Bashlets

I remeber Carl Falk (One Direction's producer) tweeted a couple of years ago that «he never had been involved in working with this many blues chords before».

So I guess Keith agreed to try him out. Don't know if his work made the album, though. I hope not.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 9, 2023 16:36

GasLightStreet
Having Ringo drum on one or more tunes... would be incredible. With (or less likely) without Paul.

Why not?

At this point - it's a celebration. And as Paul alluded to, a return of gratitude, or something like that, with All We Need Is Love.

So long ago... yet here we are, 300 years later or whatever it is.

No matter. If what The Rolling Stones recorded with Paul McCartney on bass makes the album, great. The biggest unfortunate, is that it wasn't with Charlie, at least live in the studio. That's as bad as it gets. Then again, maybe Paul overdubbed on a song with Charlie.

No matter if it's with the Steve Jordan Stones era. I think Paul might say something. He does know a little bit about songwriting.

Of course, if the Stones, with Charlie, recorded live with Paul, Charlie might say:

That was nice. I rather liked it.

Ringo does not play on the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 16:38 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: August 9, 2023 17:08

ARB

September 5th will be the 18th anniversary of the release of A Bigger Bang.

I just thought I'd let Hairball know. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-09 17:09 by Topi.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 9, 2023 17:10

More Hot Rocks

Maybe he's going to play on the next one then!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 9, 2023 17:15

When is the unofficial dateline for Christmas releases? October something?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 9, 2023 20:56

More Hot Rocks

"What about Dua Lipa? What about Stevie Wonder? What about Ozzy? What about Sting? What about Ray Davies? I hope there are enough guests to make up for the fact that it isn't a Keith solo album..."

Rinse, repeat, hit wall, repeat

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...692693694695696697698699700701702...LastNext
Current Page: 697 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home