Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...685686687688689690691692693694695...LastNext
Current Page: 690 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 20, 2023 17:59

The subject of band members recording parts separately has also fascinated me. First of all it turns me off to be honest. From a traditional perspective I see a band working ideas off of each other in a studio. Maybe this also takes a huge amount of time and is probably boring. The modern perspective of recording a persons parts and have them glued together so to speak sounds clinical and impersonal. However, it might also alleviate all the "hanging around" as Charlie put it. The debate is never ending I think. And maybe this is the only way they would agree to make a record these days. Who knows.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 20, 2023 19:00

I think it is critical songs develop as a band. It is time-consuming and potentially unrealistic at their ages. I'm not a fan of programmed paint by numbers approach because it reduces the band to session men. That said, overdubbing has often been guitar and vocals added separately. I suppose my real issue is the creation and arrangement of the music is hurt when there isn't band involvement.

Date: July 20, 2023 19:24

Isnt it the case that RS recording sessions do generally feature the band playing together at the same time in the same room, and that is particular to the Stones in recent decades - a lot of bands build it up separately. B&L was all the sound of a room, wasn't it? With overdubs, but that's to be expected...

Date: July 20, 2023 20:07

Apologies, duplicate post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-20 20:08 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2023 06:36

frankotero
The subject of band members recording parts separately has also fascinated me. First of all it turns me off to be honest. From a traditional perspective I see a band working ideas off of each other in a studio. Maybe this also takes a huge amount of time and is probably boring. The modern perspective of recording a persons parts and have them glued together so to speak sounds clinical and impersonal. However, it might also alleviate all the "hanging around" as Charlie put it. The debate is never ending I think. And maybe this is the only way they would agree to make a record these days. Who knows.

The biggest aspect of overdubbing, which is what you're talking about, is that things can be worked out precisely. To get it right. It's not the live energy but what's taken into account for the idea. It's tweaking. SOME GIRLS was a lot of that.

Date: July 21, 2023 06:40

MadMetaphoricalMax
Isnt it the case that RS recording sessions do generally feature the band playing together at the same time in the same room, and that is particular to the Stones in recent decades - a lot of bands build it up separately. B&L was all the sound of a room, wasn't it? With overdubs, but that's to be expected...

B&L was the band. Strings, vocals and drums, live.

Piano: overdubbed.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 21, 2023 11:04

They'd never be able to work in the studio like they used to.

The days of band members and recording engineers picking their noses and drinking coffee for days on end, whilst Keith mucks about [refining the latest product of five strings, three fingers and one arsehole] are long gone ! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 11:05 by Spud.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 21, 2023 20:05

I get the old days aren't coming back. Guess what I should articulate better is the possible fact it's more comfortable and precise for them (or any band) to to take the time to perfect what they like and send it off in a digital file. Maybe it's productive this way. Just a thought. Even still I like better the idea to be in a studio together bashing it out. Okay I'm oldsmiling smiley

Posted by: Bosmatic1 ()
Date: July 22, 2023 01:45

You can be fully confident that the bed of whatever they’ve recorded and will release this fall or next year or whatever will be live off the floor tracks. Of course there will be overdubs. Blue and Lonesome wasn’t all live. Anyway. Everyone is anxiously, sometimes frustratedly, awaiting what is coming. And I still think it’s gonna be better than just good. And I can’t wait to hear even one or two of them live next spring/summer.

Date: July 22, 2023 03:16

From The Sun:

MOVES LIKE JAGGER I’ve known Mick Jagger for decades – here’s the secret to the Rolling Stones’ singer’s incredible fitness as he turns 80
July 21, 2023

"That said, 2023 is shaping up to be another momentous year for rock’s most enduring frontman because the Stones’ first album of original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang is due in October"

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-22 03:55 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2023 04:32

DiegoGlimmerStones
From The Sun:

MOVES LIKE JAGGER I’ve known Mick Jagger for decades – here’s the secret to the Rolling Stones’ singer’s incredible fitness as he turns 80
July 21, 2023

"That said, 2023 is shaping up to be another momentous year for rock’s most enduring frontman because the Stones’ first album of original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang is due in October"

[www.thesun.co.uk]

"the Stones’ first album of original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang is due in October"

Hope so...and maybe/hopefully a new single in September. The Macca-Stones track would be appropriate whether it's good or bad as it would help stir up interest from the general public and the press.
Or possible the Elton track? That would work just as well. Or the track Bill plays on which would probably be the ultimate choice, depending on the quality of the tune of course.
Or maybe just a solid single featuring the core band of Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie - pure rootsy rock and roll. Whatever the case, a tribute album to Charlie...fantastic.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-22 04:33 by Hairball.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 22, 2023 07:19

The hope is back!

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: July 22, 2023 18:00

What ever happened to an announcement around Mick's birthday?

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 22, 2023 18:03

CJFP
What ever happened to an announcement around Mick's birthday?

Still possible

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 22, 2023 20:44

Could they, would they drop a new single on Mick's birthday?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2023 22:25

The big surprise on Mick's birthday is the 40 Licks release in digital and vinyl:

"To celebrate Mick Jagger’s 80th birthday, Forty Licks will release digitally
on 26 July followed by the physical release on 28 July (pre-order 28 June)".

40 Licks

Is it possible there will be a new album announcement and/or new single on the same day? Possible, but doubtful.
The anticlimactic news last month of the 40 Licks release was like receiving a lump of coal on X-mas when you were hoping for a brand new bicycle.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2023 23:53

YEAH ... try tellin' that to
an Alaskin' kid who's inta charcoal sketching ..... HHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 23, 2023 00:29

Forty Licks has absolutely no bearing if they released a new single on Jaggers birthday . FL is readily available in used cd shops. All the songs except 3 ( not even well known hits) are available on multiple compilations. How many vinyl copies are being pressed worldwide? I’m guessing no more than 10,000

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 23, 2023 00:51

Bashlets
Forty Licks has absolutely no bearing if they released a new single on Jaggers birthday . FL is readily available in used cd shops. All the songs except 3 ( not even well known hits) are available on multiple compilations. How many vinyl copies are being pressed worldwide? I’m guessing no more than 10,000

Don,t forget the Atmos Mix. That will be quite interesting!

Date: July 23, 2023 02:06

I'm not buying the new album in October. I'm waiting for ReelStones' version.

Date: July 23, 2023 06:08

frankotero

It's extremely likely that a lot of what you like about The Rolling Stones' albums has been done with what you just described. Although a majority of tracks are recorded live with the band, there have been tons of overdubs regarding guitars, 6 and 4 string, and obviously vocals. Horns. Percussion.

Even their live albums are not live albums. Except for some of the recent VAULT releases.

As I recall, there are 3 versions of Neighbours circulating, the last being the album version - but it you listened to it you'd probably wonder how the hell it became the LP version: after overdubbing, there's editing. And they've chopped the shit out of some songs. You can hear it with headphones but some edits are perfect.

Date: July 23, 2023 06:11

hockenheim95
Bashlets

Don,t forget the Atmos Mix. That will be quite interesting!

No it won't.

That shit is bad idea.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 23, 2023 11:19

Oh yes. How dare that Jagger dude celebrate his birthday or even have a birthday if there is no new Stones single or an album announcement. Such a disappointment if that is the case. Even offensive for us fans.

FORTY LICKS? Jeez, that's a middle finger stuff for us fans. Jagger has no right to age after that!

- Doxa

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: July 23, 2023 12:22

Edited for clarity, apologies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-23 12:24 by sandandglue.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: July 23, 2023 12:23

Rocky Dijon

Post of the day already. Brilliant!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 23, 2023 13:27

DiegoGlimmerStones
the Stones’ first album of original material since 2005’s A Bigger Bang is due in October"

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Yeah, the Sun, such a reliable source…

Date: July 23, 2023 13:51

Rocky Dijon

haha,, good one.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 23, 2023 15:06

Rocky Dijon
Are you waiting for ReelStones' mix or Reelstones' mastering? Because, you know, there are two separate cues depending on your choice. And anyway, did you qualify by consecutive consensus to be enlisted in any of those cues? winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 23, 2023 15:23

ironbelly
Rocky Dijon
Are you waiting for ReelStones' mix or Reelstones' mastering? Because, you know, there are two separate cues depending on your choice. And anyway, did you qualify by consecutive consensus to be enlisted in any of those cues? winking smiley

You don’t know what Atmos is grinning smiley

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: July 23, 2023 19:12

Rocky Dijon

so that is the Atmos 2.0 version and songs being played backwards ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...685686687688689690691692693694695...LastNext
Current Page: 690 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home