Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...681682683684685686687688689690691...LastNext
Current Page: 686 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 11, 2023 11:27

Stoneage
Anything but a release this fall, or possibly winter, would surprise me. When you're 80 you can't afford to postpone things anymore. Simple as that.

Your argument would be relevant if the last album wasn't from 2005 and if Mick and Keith had suddenly turned 80... I think they know that time flies...
So honestly, another month or three...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 11, 2023 11:43

ProfessorWolf
LeonidP
Is there anything definite on a new album? ... or all still guesswork/speculation? 2023 seems highly unlikely to me.

If anyone could provide a summary or latest known info, it would be appreciated, by me and anyone else not looking to traverse 100s of pages!! Thanks!

current rumor is the album is done and set for a release in the fall (october-november)

bill has also confirmed that he plays on the album for one song that's in tribute to charlie and that mick was very pleased with his contribution

mick, keith, and ronnie all gathered in new york a few weeks ago for a photo shoot that is presumably for the new album

you can read about it here iorr and based on a video from that event some here seem to think there is something seriously wrong with mick's leg (others think differently)

there re-releasing forty licks iorr

and ronnie has performed onstage three times in the last month with various people
iorr
iorr
iorr

Ben Waters also confirmed he's on three tracks. He said that in an Australian radio interview. I think that was early this year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-11 12:28 by Topi.

Date: July 11, 2023 14:35

Ben Waters, great boogie-woogie pianist.
Stu style.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 11, 2023 17:27

is this the longest wait ever? beating the wait for Chinese democracy by a stretch?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2023 17:30

Whale
is this the longest wait ever? beating the wait for Chinese democracy by a stretch?

Nah, not quite! winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2023 18:49

Big Al
Whale

Even if it does there will be one major difference - The Rolling Stones new LP will be listenable. And there's no way the Stones have spent $19 million dollars on something that's never come out, as the snide joke went.

Although I bet CHINESE DEMOCRACY will end up sounding better (Bob Ludwig mastered it).

Date: July 12, 2023 10:28

GasLightStreet
Big Al
Whale

Even if it does there will be one major difference - The Rolling Stones new LP will be listenable. And there's no way the Stones have spent $19 million dollars on something that's never come out, as the snide joke went.

Although I bet CHINESE DEMOCRACY will end up sounding better (Bob Ludwig mastered it).

I guess we'd need to know when the Stones' session for the forthcoming album actually began. They've been tinkering around in the studio, sporadically, for quite some time; even before the Blue & Lonesome sessions; which, themselves, may have been originally intended for this 'new' album. Of course, as we know, they 'hit-a-wall', and a blues-covers collection was the compromise. The Chinese Democracy saga is something to behold in terms of the sprawling time-length that it was in 'progress' for and - amongst so much else, of course - it took to record. How many years was it, exactly? When was Chinese Democracy first mentioned? in the music press? The early 00's, or, even, the late-1990's?

Date: July 12, 2023 10:30

1997 - 2008 smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2023 10:43

powerage78
1997 - 2008 smiling smiley

Blimey!

Well, although the Stones have ben recording on-and-off for however long, I don't think we could realistically claim that the 'new' album's sessions span, quite, eleven years! That'd be stretching it a tad.

I bought Chinese Democracy at the time of its release, but only recollect the one song: Street of Dreams. It was the only number, if I recollect, that sounded anything like the GnR I loved.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 12, 2023 12:17

Big Al
I guess we'd need to know when the Stones' session for the forthcoming album actually began. They've been tinkering around in the studio, sporadically, for quite some time; even before the Blue & Lonesome sessions; which, themselves, may have been originally intended for this 'new' album. Of course, as we know, they 'hit-a-wall', and a blues-covers collection was the compromise. The Chinese Democracy saga is something to behold in terms of the sprawling time-length that it was in 'progress' for and - amongst so much else, of course - it took to record. How many years was it, exactly? When was Chinese Democracy first mentioned? in the music press? The early 00's, or, even, the late-1990's?

Depending on what jars they dug out from the attic, maybe back in 1972?

Date: July 12, 2023 12:34

<I guess we'd need to know when the Stones' session for the forthcoming album actually began>

According to Don Was (and the Stones) the first session was in 2015. Then they decided on doing B&L instead. I don't know exactly when they picked it up again after B&L, though.

Date: July 12, 2023 12:43

Whatever the case, everyone will remember 2005-2023...

Posted by: RollstoDRSC ()
Date: July 12, 2023 12:54

Hi folks,
over 3 month patience please(good album title!!)
I believe Sir Jagger will do it latest at his 80th birthday!
D

Date: July 12, 2023 13:39

If it's about celebrating Mick's 80th birthday I'd rather expect a (pimped up?) reissue of some of Mick's solo work. But it doesn't seem that something like this is planned.

The way I understood previous posts, the vinyl reissue of 40 Licks is intended for the occasion of Mick's birthday. Looks like understatement but if the new album is really to come out in Fall, they possibly wouldn't want to disturb expected sales by another larger Stones-related release.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2023 14:25

I ken tell they're just waitin' till the Barbie
movie simmers down and people have some spare $$$bucks again ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2023 16:26

powerage78

No, everyone will remember 1962-1982. After that, a long big footnote, a couple of not that memorable albums and that they toured a lot.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-12 16:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 12, 2023 16:35

doitywoik
If it's about celebrating Mick's 80th birthday I'd rather expect a (pimped up?) reissue of some of Mick's solo work. But it doesn't seem that something like this is planned.

The way I understood previous posts, the vinyl reissue of 40 Licks is intended for the occasion of Mick's birthday. Looks like understatement but if the new album is really to come out in Fall, they possibly wouldn't want to disturb expected sales by another larger Stones-related release.

Indeed a Deluxe reissue of WS with unreleased tracks or a rerelease of the 2007 Best Of with Eazy Sleazy and a companion CD of unreleased tracks would have made more sense than a release of 40 Licks! Maybe they didn't want to upset Keith ahead of the new album release?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 12, 2023 16:45

Doxa
powerage78

No, everyone will remember 1962-1982. After that, a long big footnote, a couple of not that memorable albums and that they toured a lot.

- Doxa

Yes, that's pretty much it. Although I think everyone will visually remember the grizzled, elderly, latter-day Stones, the music won't be 'widely' remembered by anyone, other than the likes of those of us, here. Their last global-hit was Start Me Up. The musical acknowledgement ends there, really.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2023 16:46

powerage78
Ben Waters, great boogie-woogie pianist.
Stu style.

If one follows those confirmed things, and not fantasy speculations, it starts to look like that the new album will be pretty conventional one. That is, not trying to catch some new waters, but trusts on their old past doings. Something that I think is more than understable for 80 old men making their last bog musical statement. I mean, Ben Waters belongs musically to the Old Guard, and as persons, the confirmed guests as well: Macca, Bill, Elton... If one recalls, it was Elton John way prior BLUE&LONESOME that wished that the Stones should do a blues album again, since he thinks their are best at that. He probably wouldn't be that interest in contributing if it would be too 'experimental'. Then Macca's account of the Stones is pretty well-known, although I don't think the tune will be a blues cover, but something good old Stones rock and roll that suits to him and he loves it. Bill's track will be for Charlie, and that most likely will be something 'for the good old times sake'.

It is only the producer that seems to bring something contemporary and freshness into it.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-12 16:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 12, 2023 16:48

gotdablouse
doitywoik

Indeed a Deluxe reissue of WS with unreleased tracks or a rerelease of the 2007 Best Of with Eazy Sleazy and a companion CD of unreleased tracks would have made more sense than a release of 40 Licks! Maybe they didn't want to upset Keith ahead of the new album release?

With the UBER release expanded set-including-guitar picks of EVERYTHING Keith has ever released, including 12" splatter vinyl Run Run Rudolph's, I think Keith would probably give a flying-you-know-what if MJ got a rerelease of Wandering Spirit.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 12, 2023 18:20

FORTY LICKS isn’t even a thought for them. All the tracks except 4 are available to stream on numerous albums including greatest hits. Vinyl pressing for die hards is limited. They could release the new album the same day as the reissue and it would not affect sales of either one of them. People unless vinyl fanatics or huge stones fans are not buying it. It is readily available in used CD shops like Bullmoose, Newburyport Comics. Actually only 3 tracks since Don’t Stop is on Honk

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 12, 2023 18:29

Ok. No news today.

Date: July 12, 2023 19:09

Rockman
I ken tell they're just waitin' till the Barbie
movie simmers down and people have some spare $$$bucks again ...

... Mick and Barbie? grinning smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 12, 2023 19:16

doitywoik
Hairball
doitywoik
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
Rockman
Well they could do the old Dylan trick
Take classic blues riffs and chuck new lyrics over them .....

I would prefer the opposite actually - old lyrics Mich wrote when he was drug fueled or the band did and new music married to them. So long as he doesn’t over-enunciate the words or over sing them!

I think it would be interesting if Dylan was a guest on the new Stones album. Either on a new and original Stones/Dylan collaborative effort, or a classic old blues tune.
Or maybe an updated version of Like a Rolling Stone. I can hear it now: "How does it feel.........". Or maybe the Stones can guest on Dylan's next album.

If Dylan needs a Stone he'll get Mick Taylor.

But then there was this brief episode in Dylan/Stones history...Dylan, Keith, and Ronnie aka The Three Amigos - a reunion might be in store some day! They could record a new unplugged/stripped style studio album
featuring several of their greatest (and a couple blues covers). Maybe a remake of Like a Rolling Stone, but change some of the lyrics and retitle it Like the Rolling Stones..."how does it feel, to be like the Rolling Stones..."
Based on the infamous Live Aid performance though, it could all end up as being out of tune, out of whack, out of key, out of synch, and out of their minds

The Three Amigos - Unplugged/stripped

Live Aid 1985

Considering the Live Aid trio episode, this might rather be a reason for Bob to avoid another such episode. winking smiley
Yes, that's true, but I think he had a good time that night, that's all that matters, it's only rock'n roll.
However Ronnie is a great friend of Bob and they have often worked together.

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: July 13, 2023 14:09

With all the respect, but it seems nobody believe this album is gonna be published this year. All of those who claims to know 'the source' went muted.
That silence says a lot/

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: July 13, 2023 14:09

With all the respect, but it seems nobody believe this album is gonna be published this year. All of those who claims to know 'the source' went muted.
That silence tells a lot/

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 13, 2023 14:28

MonicaDe

What makes you think that? "Nobody" believes?

Date: July 13, 2023 14:46

Topi
MonicaDe

What makes you think that? "Nobody" believes?

My name is Nobody ... winking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 13, 2023 15:18

MonicaDe

Yeah, I am quite excited that there seems to be some concrete info that its coming this year, but if it doesn't then that definitely would not surprise me.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 13, 2023 15:29

MonicaDe

On the contrary, it seems everything (rumors, promo shoot) is lining up for an October release, what makes you think that's not happening anymore?. The next step would be an official announcement, until then what would be the point for "those who claims to know 'the source'" (who are they anyway ?) to repeat that October date ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...681682683684685686687688689690691...LastNext
Current Page: 686 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home