Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...645646647648649650651652653654655...LastNext
Current Page: 650 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Date: May 17, 2023 21:08

A glimmer of hope...

- Doxa

Don't fret. Just let it loose. winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 18, 2023 06:46

cyclist
What were Keith's feelings at the time about "Miss You"? The song to me is Mick's successful attempt at riding a trend to revitalize the band. Seems like many of Mick's songs are similar, albeit far less successful, attempts. Was Keith always against chasing a contemporary sound? At what point did he put his foot down?

I still think that no matter the end product, this album (even if it doesn't become one) demands a 33 1/3 book from an intrepid journalist.

If you really want to get into what Keith thought about Miss You:

(W)e still work closely on songs. It still comes together even when we haven't seen each other for months. We help each other on songs like Miss You which came together during the 1976 tour of Europe. A lot of our songs take a long time to come out.

- Keith Richards, 1979

Although Miss You was a damn good disco record, it was calculated to be one.

- Keith Richards, 1997

But then there are others:

The idea for those (bass) lines came from Billy Preston, actually. We'd cut a rough demo a year or so earlier after a recording session. I'd already gone home, and Billy picked up my old bass when they started running through that song. He started doing that bit because it seemed to be the style of his left hand. So when we finally came to do the tune, the boys said, Why don't you work around Billy's idea? So I listened to it once and heard that basic run and took it from there. It took some changing and polishing, but the basic idea was Billy's.

- Bill Wyman, 1978

We didn't intentionally set out to make a DIS-CO record. To me, it's just like... that bass drum beat and my falsettos just fit nicely around the bass part. Vocally, it's more gospel, because nowadays disco records are much more repetitive... you know, I wanna dance and shake my booty repeated 89 times!

- Mick Jagger, 1978

I got that together with Billy Preston, actually. Yeah, Billy had shown me the four-on-the-floor bass-drum part, and I would just play the guitar. I remember playing that in the El Mocambo club when Keith was on trial in Toronto for whatever he was doing. We were supposed to be there making this live record... I was still writing it, actually. We were just in rehearsal.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

During the rehearsal of the El Mocambo gig I wrote the song Miss You. So I remember that 'cause I was waiting for everyone in the band to turn up and I was with Billy Preston, and Billy Preston was playing the kick drum and I was always playing the guitar and I wrote Miss You on that so I remember that moment very well.

- Mick Jagger, 2001

A lot of those songs like Miss You on Some Girls... were heavily influenced by going to the discos. You can hear it in a lot of those four on the floor rhythms and the Philadelphia-style drumming. Mick and I used to go to discos a lot... It was a great period. I remember being in Munich and coming back from a club with Mick singing one of the Village People songs - YMCA, I think it was - and Keith went mad, but it sounded great on the dance floor.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

Miss You wasn't coming together at all, then Billy said, Try playing octave riffs on the bass.

- Bill Wyman, 2011

I thought it was important to keep up with beats and rhythms. Miss You was part of that. I went to Studio 54 - didn't like it. Mick did. Too posey for me. But the records were fantastic. Disco Inferno by The Trammps, George McCrae's Rock Your Baby, The O'Jays. My wife dances, and in those days we used to have lots of parties. Those records would always be on.

- Charlie Watts, 2011

I don't think anyone resisted it at all, not to my knowledge. Whether they did mentally or not, I don't think anyone can really remember that. If they say they remember, they probably don't. They're probably lying (laughs). I mean, I think Charlie particularly loved it and Bill loved it because he came up with a really nice bass line. So I think that it was instantly accepted, in my view. It was only really different as far as the rhythm section was concerned. The rest of the instrumentation is very much a kind of blues-rock instrumentation. You just play what you would play. It's just the beat that's different. It's a sloppy version of the beat of six months before in New York, and not played quite so exactly as you would have played it if you were playing in a session band doing those kind of tunes for a dance record. It's quite strict tempo, it doesn't move around, but it's got a nice loose feel to it compared to some of those records. It's very danceable and that's what we were trying to achieve there.

- Mick Jagger, 2011

[timeisonourside.com]

And if one thinks Keith put his foot down, the title track to the next record says otherwise. In which he did some great playing!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 18, 2023 07:44

The timeline in Gaslightstreet's post is spanning roughly 20 years - after Miss You came out. Right now we have a timeline of nearly 20 years as well - it's just that nothing came out...

For all you counters out there: This is page 650! (Another round one - straight on our way to 700!)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 18, 2023 07:53

650 pages and counting........

And it's been 6,463 days since A Bigger Bang was released...6,463 days and counting....

In dog years that's a whopping 126 years...126 years and counting....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 18, 2023 10:19

Hairball

And it's been 6,463 days since A Bigger Bang was released...6,463 days and counting....

The more you lose sleep over it, the more it drives you mad.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: May 18, 2023 11:33

Thy toured again since 2012 and their shows still are on top level. They have fun and enjoy doing it as we do.
They earn a lot of money doing it, because millions of people went to see them live.
They don't need a new album. And if it's not successful, they damage their extreme successfull career.
Blue And Lonesome was done quickly and without any risk.
I enjoyed the last decade with the Stones a lot! My memories of the shows are great. I'm fine. Anything from now is an extra, a bonus. I don't expect anything.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: May 18, 2023 12:29

I'm wondering what I will have first: the new Rolling Stones album, or GTA 6..

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 18, 2023 13:09

micha063
Thy toured again since 2012 and their shows still are on top level. They have fun and enjoy doing it as we do.
They earn a lot of money doing it, because millions of people went to see them live.
They don't need a new album. And if it's not successful, they damage their extreme successfull career.
Blue And Lonesome was done quickly and without any risk.
I enjoyed the last decade with the Stones a lot! My memories of the shows are great. I'm fine. Anything from now is an extra, a bonus. I don't expect anything.

My sentiments are the same really. After the ABB tour finished in 2007, there was a long wait until we saw them again in 2012. Since then we've been spoilt I would say, they've played every year until 2022 with the exception of the COVID year. What more could we have asked of them ? Not much I think.

The Glimmers are both 80 this year. The final show of 2022 in Berlin in early August was as good as any I've seen. New album ? Yeah OK - if they must. For me, not necessary, but if they bring it out, I'll no doubt buy it anyway ! As for more shows ? If they do them, I'll attend. And if not, I will hardly be complaining about the countless shows I saw in the period 2012 - 2022. They were all great, the memories are great - what else is there to say ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: May 18, 2023 14:40

Hairball

My dog is not happy about this.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 18, 2023 15:42

walkingthedog
Hairball

As long the dog is happy with you @walkingthedog, doing your thing walking the dog! hot smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 18, 2023 16:08

Hairball

How many years?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 18, 2023 16:10

Mick and Keith turn 80 this year. In dog's years, they'll be 560 years old. 560 years old! Oh my gosh. Let's post about this for awhile.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 18, 2023 18:03

Topi
Hairball

How many years?

First post

New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Francis25 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 16:17

Date: May 18, 2023 19:29

I meant to ask how many years "6,463 days and counting" makes.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: May 18, 2023 19:49

We are waiting......

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 18, 2023 19:53

walkingthedog
Hairball

Poor dog, but if it's any consolation your dog is not alone - there's unhappy dogs worldwide who have been waiting well over a century in dog years.

The dogs begin to bark, the hounds begin to howl..........

Evidently Keith isn't very happy either with one of the producers of the "new" album.
Not sure how they're gonna work that little problem out, but probably can expect more delays.

18 years and counting.............

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2023 20:00

Hairball
walkingthedog
Hairball

Poor dog, but if it's any consolation your dog is not alone - there's unhappy dogs worldwide who have been waiting well over a century in dog years.

Evidently Keith isn't very happy either with one of the producers of the "new" album.
Not sure how they're gonna work that little problem out, but probably can expect more delays.

Wow, 18 years. That's more than twice as long as poor Brian was in the band.

It's longer than their absolutely unimpeachable, classic stretch of albums from 1964 to 1981.

Now, I'm not complaining because even if we don't get anything else I'm far and away happy with what we've gotten but when you put it into context...

Date: May 18, 2023 20:06

But hey, if it's any consolation, there's still a few more months to go until that 18-year mark.

17 doesn't sound as bad, does it?

Date: May 18, 2023 20:23

Christiaan

First post

New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Francis25 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 16:17

And the original thread title was New Stones album for 2017, but bv has edited that post and title on a yearly basis to New Stones album for 2018, then 2019, then 2020, then 2021, then 2022, and now 2023.
I imagine he'll have to edit it again to 2024 in which case it will be 19 years and counting....hope not, but there's always a chance it could be 2025 or 2026, or worse case scenario the album will never get released.
Gotta keep hoping, wishing, and waiting as the years continue to roll by....18 years and counting........

Date: May 18, 2023 20:47

Hairball

there's always a chance it could be 2025 or 2026, or worse case scenario the album will never get released.

Why not 2027?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2023 20:55

Topi
But hey, if it's any consolation, there's still a few more months to go until that 18-year mark.

17 doesn't sound as bad, does it?

That is definitely 'glass half-full'!

Date: May 18, 2023 21:01

Yeah, I just want everyone and their dog feel a little better.

Date: May 18, 2023 21:37

Still, we haven't been talking about guest stars so it's not all bad. We've just found a new wall to hit.

Date: May 18, 2023 21:50

East 17 and Counting Crows are among the guests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-19 09:55 by Topi.

Date: May 18, 2023 22:02

I want to think you're kidding, but I feel compelled to believe everything in this thread even when it is contradictory.

Date: May 18, 2023 22:13

I was actually trying to think of a band with the word "wall" in their name, but only came up with Kingston Wall. Anyone remember them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-18 22:14 by Topi.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 18, 2023 22:17

Wallflowers...but they are pretty good. smiling smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 18, 2023 22:34

walkingthedog
Hairball

Not even the flies are happy! But no one releases an album a month.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 18, 2023 22:53

The strategy/tactic for a long time has been "leave them wanting more". This worked well when I was young, now it's more like I'm losing interest. Mixed Emotions, great song and now a pun intended. Sad Sad Sad, another one. On the other side You Can't Always Get What You Want. Also true. It's been a nice ride.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 19, 2023 05:36

Hairball
walkingthedog
Hairball

Maybe Keith will have his dogs take care of the problem ...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...645646647648649650651652653654655...LastNext
Current Page: 650 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home