Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...644645646647648649650651652653654...LastNext
Current Page: 649 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 11, 2023 15:15

It’ll probably be eventually released as a ‘from the vault’ album. smoking smiley

Date: May 11, 2023 15:16

The new album will be called " Finished After 60 Years"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2023 15:56

Taylor1
They should have tried something totally different like an album of classical music like Paul McCartney, instrumentalsor Irish folk songs.The thought of another album of r&b songs with Sara Dash and Ivan Neville isn’t that stimulating

Agreed, the public would love a Stones album of Irish folk covers. Think how well they fared struggling to contribute to "The Rocky Road of Dublin" with The Chieftains.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure when the Stones gave us an album of R&B songs. Sarah Dash is dead so no worries there and Ivan Neville hasn't played on a Stones session in 30 years.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 11, 2023 16:51

They can release as many albums of R&B songs as they like for me...

..The sound of the Stones playing R&B is a wonder to hear and behold.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 11, 2023 18:42

So, are there any rumors by UMG insiders,as you reported here about an October/November issue?Those rumors said that the album was finished and hopefully the three months time that the Band spent on tour, this time they would promote their album with TV & radio appearances and magazines interview.
Is Something changed?!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 11, 2023 18:56

Taylor1
They should have tried something totally different like an album of classical music like Paul McCartney, instrumentalsor Irish folk songs.The thought of another album of r&b songs with Sara Dash and Ivan Neville isn’t that stimulating

Boy, you're really onto something! The possibilities are endless and mouthwatering - albums of Genesis or Tangerine Dream covers or of Bali Gamelan Music, just a few examples.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 11, 2023 22:18

retired_dog
Taylor1

Boy, you're really onto something! The possibilities are endless and mouthwatering - albums of Genesis or Tangerine Dream covers or of Bali Gamelan Music, just a few examples.

Or or or....how about the Stones covering their favourite Beatles album?!

Date: May 11, 2023 22:43

treaclefingers
retired_dog
Taylor1

Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely! They could even cover the entire Beatles catalog and make it their own, an undertaking no other artist has tried before! Totally uncharted territory, so to speak.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 11, 2023 23:03

retired_dog
treaclefingers
retired_dog
Taylor1

Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely! They could even cover the entire Beatles catalog and make it their own, an undertaking no other artist has tried before! Totally uncharted territory, so to speak.

AI will do that lol

I don’t understand why my post related to the very real future of music was deleted because it centers on AI music. People need to talk about it instead of being silenced

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 11, 2023 23:17

TravelinMan
retired_dog
treaclefingers
retired_dog
Taylor1

AI will do that lol

I don’t understand why my post related to the very real future of music was deleted because it centers on AI music. People need to talk about it instead of being silenced
Do you ever tire of the same old r&b 3 minute songs.Keith and Mick are such great writers I don’t think they need to repeat themselves except for commercial reasons.I would even like an album with just Ron, Keith and Mick playing acoustic guitars and harmonica over revisiting music they already perfected.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 11, 2023 23:39

TravelinMan
AI will do that lol

There's a friendly STICKY at the top of the page explaining why. Simple answer is because our host doesn't want it here. So long as it's his house, he can still call the bouncer to remove us as needed.

Date: May 12, 2023 05:22

Rocky Dijon
TravelinMan
AI will do that lol

There's a friendly STICKY at the top of the page explaining why. Simple answer is because our host doesn't want it here. So long as it's his house, he can still call the bouncer to remove us as needed.

I did read it, and I got the impression it was referring to AI in terms of spam posts etc. like bots.

AI in the music industry is very real, and no I’m not some supporter of it. I just figured a good natured conversation about its implications to us as Stones fans was/is relevant.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 12, 2023 06:07

Bjornulf says no, not here.
His last sentence: "Feel free to search for all the complications of AI systems, but please do not bring those discussions here."

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-12 06:11 by angee.

Date: May 12, 2023 18:11

TravelinMan
Rocky Dijon
TravelinMan
AI will do that lol

I did read it, and I got the impression it was referring to AI in terms of spam posts etc. like bots.

AI in the music industry is very real, and no I’m not some supporter of it. I just figured a good natured conversation about its implications to us as Stones fans was/is relevant.

If you want to discuss it, I'd recommend a thread on "The Daily Beatles" blog with lots of comments, one even by Ruth McCartney:

AI makes Paul McCartney’s voice youthful

Interesting to see (and tellingly) that the respective YouTube links are no longer available due to copyright claims by Universal.

Otherwise, please respect Bjornulf's wishes.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 12, 2023 18:43

georgelicks
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
So, what about rumours according to some UMG insiders, of a possible Oct./Nov. Release?
Are there any chances about that, or we must wait next year spring, hopefully with a NA Tour?!

Let's put that into math:

20 is a bit precise, because in 2012 there was Doom And Gloom and Don't Stop.

OK so let's say from 2013 onward:

BLUE AND LONESOME in 2016 (barely).

Living In A Ghost Town in 2019.

Aside from the reissues and solo material, yeah, that's hardly anything - but given how they are these days (since 2005), it is what it is and it's not "nothing".

18 years. 4 -5 songs of original material. One of which, One Shot, sounds like an unfinished demo. Pathetic from ANY creative rock band, but for The Stones? ABSOLUTELY PITIFUL.

The Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band has morphed into The Worlds Most Expensive (land locked) Cruise Ship Cover Band.

I’m so disappointed in them. Charlie’s unfortunate demise should have hurried them into finishing off the album. They act like time is on their side. It ain’t. Nor is it on mine. I don’t understand anyone defending their lack of desire, creativity. Call it a day lads.

Actually, only 3 new original songs released since 2005: Doom and Gloom, One More Shot and Living In A Ghost Town.

The sad reality is that the group as a unit that released albums and toured ended in 2006-2007, there were many doubts if they would get back together during those years (2008-2012) to work again or just focus on releasing vault material (Exile/Some Girls deluxe) or solo projects (Superheavy, Crosseyed Heart, Ronnie's solo record).

In August 2012 they entered the studio together for the first time in 7 years and recorded 2 songs for GRRR and decided to try touring again, everything since then is a bonus in the Stones' career and it is more than evident that, at least Mick, does not want to release second-rate material that deteriorates the legacy of the group and that's why a new album takes so long... let's add age, Charlie's death, the pandemic and the situation of the industry that makes it totally irrelevant for any group or artist of advanced age to release records that do not sell anything in a market dominated by streaming.

I wish the Stones had put out 2-3 new records since 2005, or Mick solo records at least... but it is what it is, you can't always get what you want.

Date: May 12, 2023 20:55

mailexile67
georgelicks
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet
So, what about rumours according to some UMG insiders, of a possible Oct./Nov. Release?
Are there any chances about that, or we must wait next year spring, hopefully with a NA Tour?!

Aside from the reissues and solo material, yeah, that's hardly anything - but given how they are these days (since 2005), it is what it is and it's not "nothing".

18 years. 4 -5 songs of original material. One of which, One Shot, sounds like an unfinished demo. Pathetic from ANY creative rock band, but for The Stones? ABSOLUTELY PITIFUL.

The Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band has morphed into The Worlds Most Expensive (land locked) Cruise Ship Cover Band.

I’m so disappointed in them. Charlie’s unfortunate demise should have hurried them into finishing off the album. They act like time is on their side. It ain’t. Nor is it on mine. I don’t understand anyone defending their lack of desire, creativity. Call it a day lads.

Actually, only 3 new original songs released since 2005: Doom and Gloom, One More Shot and Living In A Ghost Town.

The sad reality is that the group as a unit that released albums and toured ended in 2006-2007, there were many doubts if they would get back together during those years (2008-2012) to work again or just focus on releasing vault material (Exile/Some Girls deluxe) or solo projects (Superheavy, Crosseyed Heart, Ronnie's solo record).

In August 2012 they entered the studio together for the first time in 7 years and recorded 2 songs for GRRR and decided to try touring again, everything since then is a bonus in the Stones' career and it is more than evident that, at least Mick, does not want to release second-rate material that deteriorates the legacy of the group and that's why a new album takes so long... let's add age, Charlie's death, the pandemic and the situation of the industry that makes it totally irrelevant for any group or artist of advanced age to release records that do not sell anything in a market dominated by streaming.

I wish the Stones had put out 2-3 new records since 2005, or Mick solo records at least... but it is what it is, you can't always get what you want.

Yes, it is what it is. One can only be disappointed if one still lives the dream that they are "an active, creative band". They simply aren't anymore. That ship has sailed at least since since ABB, arguably even earlier. Everything we got since 2012 is nothing more than an afterthought, an added bonus for those who can appreciate it. For those who still think of them as a creative unit, like "hell, for them it must be easy to release a new album every 1, 2 or 3 years like in the old days" it surely must come as a major disappointment that the Stones did not live up to their expectations.

Fact is, they're pensioneers who once in a while come together to play shows as long as it's fun for them and to keep the brand and the cashcow going. Mick is still writing songs with seemingly little to no intention to release them. Keith likely the same. Every once in a while something comes up that could be "useful" for the Stones. That's probably the way the idea to record one last Stones album came about. "We record whenever we have something in our hands". No hurry. No pressure. It is what it is. Time is on their side. Maybe not on ours, but that's a different thing altogether.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-12 23:51 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 13, 2023 07:41

retired_dog
mailexile67
georgelicks
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet

Yes, it is what it is. One can only be disappointed if one still lives the dream that they are "an active, creative band". They simply aren't anymore. That ship has sailed at least since since ABB, arguably even earlier. Everything we got since 2012 is nothing more than an afterthought, an added bonus for those who can appreciate it. For those who still think of them as a creative unit, like "hell, for them it must be easy to release a new album every 1, 2 or 3 years like in the old days" it surely must come as a major disappointment that the Stones did not live up to their expectations.

Fact is, they're pensioneers who once in a while come together to play shows as long as it's fun for them and to keep the brand and the cashcow going. Mick is still writing songs with seemingly little to no intention to release them. Keith likely the same. Every once in a while something comes up that could be "useful" for the Stones. That's probably the way the idea to record one last Stones album came about. "We record whenever we have something in our hands". No hurry. No pressure. It is what it is. Time is on their side. Maybe not on ours, but that's a different thing altogether.

Understandable.

However... 18 years? That's essentially a generation!

4 new songs on FORTY LICKS and 2 new songs on (what should've been called) SIXTY LICKS... and within those 18 years, Mick talking about how they're not like greatest hits touring Beach Boys.

If you eat your bag of Doritos, they always make more.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 13, 2023 13:03

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
mailexile67
georgelicks
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet

Understandable.

4 new songs on FORTY LICKS and 2 new songs on (what should've been called) SIXTY LICKS... and within those 18 years, Mick talking about how they're not like greatest hits touring Beach Boys.

Actually , since 1998, or a quarter of a century there has been one studio album , and that album was maybe their worst .But at least more than a quarter of a century ago they gave us one of their best in Bridges

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-13 13:07 by Taylor1.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 13, 2023 20:40

Rocky Dijon
Taylor1

Agreed, the public would love a Stones album of Irish folk covers. Think how well they fared struggling to contribute to "The Rocky Road of Dublin" with The Chieftains.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure when the Stones gave us an album of R&B songs. Sarah Dash is dead so no worries there and Ivan Neville hasn't played on a Stones session in 30 years.

Ned Kelly outtakes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-13 20:40 by doitywoik.

Date: May 14, 2023 19:37

retired_dog
TravelinMan
Rocky Dijon
TravelinMan
AI will do that lol

If you want to discuss it, I'd recommend a thread on "The Daily Beatles" blog with lots of comments, one even by Ruth McCartney:

AI makes Paul McCartney’s voice youthful

Interesting to see (and tellingly) that the respective YouTube links are no longer available due to copyright claims by Universal.

Otherwise, please respect Bjornulf's wishes.

There are plenty of places to discuss a revolutionary trend (for better or worse) in the music industry. It just makes this place a little "head in the sand" — which is totally fine! It's a private fansite after all.

Any update on the Dallas Rehearsals ever being fully released?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-14 19:39 by TravelinMan.

Date: May 15, 2023 06:46

mailexile67
georgelicks
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet

Ugh. Obviously Don't Stop was pre-2012!

The lack of stand alone singles, obviously sans one, yet alone any kind of original album says something.

"We're focused on touring" etc says whoever.

Their about to age out in regard to stadiums/promoters/insurance. It really is about to end in that regard.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 15, 2023 08:42

Their about to age out in regard to stadiums/promoters/insurance. It really is about to end in that regard.[/quote]

I would never count them out in that regard, until it's actually over. I shake my head at the idea that they can still sell out stadiums at ridiculously high prices, but hey, they can still do it. All they'd have to do is go to the states and Canada and pick out places they haven't played in a while. The demand is still there. Charlie dying didn't stop them. It had no effect on ticket sales. As long as the guitars play....

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: May 15, 2023 14:54

24FPS
Their about to age out in regard to stadiums/promoters/insurance. It really is about to end in that regard.

I would never count them out in that regard, until it's actually over. I shake my head at the idea that they can still sell out stadiums at ridiculously high prices, but hey, they can still do it. All they'd have to do is go to the states and Canada and pick out places they haven't played in a while. The demand is still there. Charlie dying didn't stop them. It had no effect on ticket sales. As long as the guitars play....[/quote]

And Mick moves

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 15, 2023 20:48

Yes, I must have posted this in the touring thread but like Macca not touring in 2023 when he apparently still can probably means that barring any miracles (they do happen) it's over...gone are the days where they could say "see you next year" (like Mick in "Still Life", hehe...) and not think twice about it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 15, 2023 23:14

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
mailexile67
georgelicks
bitusa2012
GasLightStreet

Understandable.

Actually , since 1998, or a quarter of a century there has been one studio album , and that album was maybe their worst .But at least more than a quarter of a century ago they gave us one of their best in Bridges

Their worst was released in 1986.

OK so only one album since 1997, not including BAL. No matter how it's spun - bonus material with reissues, the blues album, all the live releases, new and old, a new single here and there, they've hardly done anything.

Too busy touring. They might not ever admit it until after it's done but they essentially acknowledged that they haven't been interested in creating new music. And this newest (and supposedly last) bit has grown a beard already.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 17, 2023 01:11

"Mick is still writing songs with seemingly little to no intention to release them. Keith likely the same"

Yeah Mick is "productive" but Keith was right when he said "that don't mean sh*t" since nothing has been deemed worthy of release since hum...2011 and some SH tracks and D&G and LIAGT. Well we got GGaG and EL but I'm not sure these tuneless tracks qualify as "songs" ?

I wonder what Mick thinks when he looks at his notebooks and backlog of probably 100+ "songs", must be pretty depressing...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 17, 2023 02:38

gotdablouse
"Mick is still writing songs with seemingly little to no intention to release them. Keith likely the same"

Yeah Mick is "productive" but Keith was right when he said "that don't mean sh*t" since nothing has been deemed worthy of release since hum...2011 and some SH tracks and D&G and LIAGT. Well we got GGaG and EL but I'm not sure these tuneless tracks qualify as "songs" ?

I wonder what Mick thinks when he looks at his notebooks and backlog of probably 100+ "songs", must be pretty depressing...

Well, at least some material by both of them has been deemed worthy to make up the (likely) last Stones album! It only needs to be released some time...

There may be a thing or two that depresses Mick, but I don't think the one you mentioned is amongst them...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-17 05:41 by retired_dog.

Date: May 17, 2023 05:52

retired_dog
gotdablouse

Well, at least some material by both of them has been deemed worthy to make up the (likely) last Stones album! It only needs to be released some time...

There may be a thing or two that depresses Mick, but I don't think the one you mentioned is amongst them...

They delivered an extremely focused single with Living In A Ghost Town, the best single since Start Me Up.

They've been unoffering since.

There's probably more to it than just appeasing the fans. Mick has mentioned it a little bit, that it has to be great, which brought surprise to my eyes reading that because, you know, DIRTY WORK-A BIGGER BANG in general.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: May 17, 2023 07:13

What were Keith's feelings at the time about "Miss You"? The song to me is Mick's successful attempt at riding a trend to revitalize the band. Seems like many of Mick's songs are similar, albeit far less successful, attempts. Was Keith always against chasing a contemporary sound? At what point did he put his foot down?

I still think that no matter the end product, this album (even if it doesn't become one) demands a 33 1/3 book from an intrepid journalist.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 17, 2023 19:40

Let's add here the info shared by Meise on tour thread that according to German Stones museum representative the album is finished and will be released in early fall.

A glimmer of hope...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-17 19:42 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...644645646647648649650651652653654...LastNext
Current Page: 649 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home