Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...630631632633634635636637638639640...LastNext
Current Page: 635 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 8, 2023 21:05

MelBelli
A stray remark in an interview with Steve Van Zandt, who hears that the new Stones record is quite good:

[www.usatoday.com]

Not sure where he might have heard this, but it could have been directly from Paul McCartney who he's very good friends with. Paul joined him on stage at a small gig several years ago for I Saw Her Standing There!
If there's any true inside source to be believed at this point who is not a band member (or not directly involved with the band somehow), it would be Macca himself who actually plays on a tune on the new album.
Or maybe he heard it from Dua Lipa who has been rumoured to be on the album. Or Stevie Wonder. Or many others. It could very well be that Steven Van Zandt is also a guest on the album, and he heard it all himself!

Video of Steven and Macca at the Roundhouse in London, 2017:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-08 21:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 8, 2023 21:26

Rockman
He says .......

And I hear the new Rolling Stones record is quite good.

I guess he probably heard that from Keith.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 8, 2023 21:48

I believe he had a chance to listen to the album. It's probably been done for some time. We just don't know it, my thoughts anyway.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2023 21:51

MAYBE Ben Waters rang The Boss
Then Bruce rang Steve ta say he heard it was good

Yes this definitely smells of an inside job ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 8, 2023 22:20

frankotero
I believe he had a chance to listen to the album. It's probably been done for some time. We just don't know it, my thoughts anyway.

Something about the way Steven says he heard it's "quite good" comes across as a slightly underhwelming - in other words it's a polite way to say it's average, or so-so, or mediocre.
Why couldn't he said it sounds "fu*king fantastic"?!!! Anyhow, coming from someone who praises every single Bruce song in existence by saying "The guy has not written a song that I don't enjoy",
you have to sort of question Steven's judgement and opinion. I sincerely hope it's much better than "quite good"...I hope it's absolutely f*cking fantastic! But that might be hoping for a bit too much....

Date: April 8, 2023 22:29

I think Steven is being vague on purpose. He's not going to say it's extraordinary even if it is. He has to consider his friendship and the unfortunate side of business. It's left to us to decide when it comes out.

Date: April 8, 2023 22:41

He already made a statement saying he heard it was "quite good", so it's not really a matter of being vague or not, but a matter of semantics.

Date: April 8, 2023 22:49

Whoa, I think we're running a little too deep here for no good reason. Let's wait until we hear the record is my thought. But yeah the skeptical side of me says it won't be that great. The hopeful side says maybe it will be.confused smiley

Date: April 8, 2023 22:57

I hope it's great also within the context of a band that's been around for 60+ years, who haven't released an album of original tunes in 18 years, and haven't released a truely "classic" album in over 40+ years.
And as for what Steven may or may not have heard, I suppose "quite good" will be good enough at this point, and I guess we can be grateful he didn't say that it's terrible!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-08 22:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 8, 2023 23:48

Hairball
I hope it's great also within the context of a band that's been around for 60+ years, who haven't released an album of original tunes in 18 years, and haven't released a truely "classic" album in over 40+ years.
And as for what Steven may or may not have heard, I suppose "quite good" will be good enough at this point, and I guess we can be grateful he didn't say that it's terrible!

Sorry, but "quite good" might as well be an understated cool way of saying that it's fantastic. And of course it is. Now we for (almost) certain know it will be released not next year, but THIS year. In late summer or autumn. And soon perhaps a single...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 9, 2023 00:16

It does seem to me that they’ll do another fall release similar to ABB and B2B. Seems to be their preferred way of doing things.

Date: April 9, 2023 03:25

lem motlow
It will be ok and fun to hear what they come up with but don’t get your hopes up.
Keith once said Mick Taylor was a great guitar player who found out the hard way that’s all he is.
Mick and Keith are great songwriters who are gonna find out the hard way that’s all they are because the guys who made those old records ain’t here anymore.
No Bill, Charlie,Brian, Nicky, Bobby, Stu, Billy, Mick T , Jim Price, Jimmy Miller, Andy Johns, Glyn Johns,or even Ry Cooder to borrow a lick from.

Fans who liked Bigger Bang and Voodoo Lounge will be happy, the rest not as much, the one-off songs you’ve heard the last 10 or 15 years are the best they can do.
Ghost Town ,One more shot.that kinda thing is what they are now,it’s just ok but great, not happening.

Lots of valid points within this post, and yes it will be fun to (finally) hear what they come up with after all this time.
A random tune here and there is one thing, but to compile a full album of originals is another, though they have had 18 very long years to do so.
And whether they release it this year, next year, or God forbid the following year, only time will tell if it's worthy and will be able to stand the test of time.
Hopefully it's not a discombobulated freak show with too many guests in the kitchen, but gotta keep hope alive against all the odds that it will be "quite good" at the very least.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 9, 2023 05:23

Hairball
lem motlow
It will be ok and fun to hear what they come up with but don’t get your hopes up.
Keith once said Mick Taylor was a great guitar player who found out the hard way that’s all he is.
Mick and Keith are great songwriters who are gonna find out the hard way that’s all they are because the guys who made those old records ain’t here anymore.
No Bill, Charlie,Brian, Nicky, Bobby, Stu, Billy, Mick T , Jim Price, Jimmy Miller, Andy Johns, Glyn Johns,or even Ry Cooder to borrow a lick from.

Fans who liked Bigger Bang and Voodoo Lounge will be happy, the rest not as much, the one-off songs you’ve heard the last 10 or 15 years are the best they can do.
Ghost Town ,One more shot.that kinda thing is what they are now,it’s just ok but great, not happening.

Lots of valid points within this post, and yes it will be fun to (finally) hear what they come up with after all this time.
A random tune here and there is one thing, but to compile a full album of originals is another, though they have had 18 very long years to do so.
And whether they release it this year, next year, or God forbid the following year, only time will tell if it's worthy and will be able to stand the test of time.
Hopefully it's not a discombobulated freak show with too many guests in the kitchen, but gotta keep hope alive against all the odds that it will be "quite good" at the very least.

Nothing, absolutely nothing justifies this doom talk right now.

Date: April 9, 2023 05:33

HHHhaaaaaaa... yep retired ... All ya can do is laugh ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 9, 2023 08:57

Hey, gotta get your daily fix of Bruce Springsteen hate in, any way you can. And troll the Stones while you're at it.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 9, 2023 11:38

He didn’t say he’s heard it and that it’s quite good. He says he’s heard it’s quite good. Someone, a third party, told him that they’ve heard it and it’s quite good. That’s how I read it anyway. And who cares anyway. I, ME, I want to hear it. If it’s done, RELEASE THE DAMN THING.

Rod

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 9, 2023 15:03

Seriously now, would anyone involved in the album to such an extent that they heard it (or part of it) at some stage tell Steve something like, "The album is just so-so, despite the long time in the making"? -- You would only say something like that if you want to get fired.

Date: April 9, 2023 16:31

Rockman
HHHhaaaaaaa... yep retired ... All ya can do is laugh ...

Yep... or taking this as psychological studies of certain people's state of mind - I mean, first blaming the Stones for not releasing new music since oh so when, then dismissing Blue And Lonesome because it was "just covers", then chewing on the "hitting the wall"-story ad nauseam, then accusing them for more or less lying about recording a new album, and now, as by all accounts it's hard to deny that it's actually coming more or less soon, discussing that it can't be that good anyway...

Date: April 9, 2023 16:37

"Quite good" sounds like a classic Macca-ism to me...for something that's going to be great. Hold the faith for the Rolling Stones resurrekshun ...

Date: April 9, 2023 20:52

MadMetaphoricalMax
"Quite good" sounds like a classic Macca-ism to me...for something that's going to be great. Hold the faith for the Rolling Stones resurrekshun ...

Yes, hoping, waiting, wondering, speculating, and keeping the faith for what seems like eternity now....and "quite good" does sound like a Macca-ism for something thats going to be great.
I've got a feeling that aside from the tune Macca played on, his imprint and influence will be all over this album - he could be the guiding light they've needed all these years to get it done once and for all.

Date: April 9, 2023 21:53

Maybe we should pass the hat around and see
if we can get Macca ta drop by your place ..... HHHHaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: April 9, 2023 21:55

I thought we were supposed to question Little Steven's judgment and opinion?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2023 22:00

Hairball
lem motlow

They can't release it next year or later, it HAS to be this year, if not they will be laughed at and it will just be shelved and released as a "lost album" sometime dow the road...

Good point by "lem motlow" - ABB was not memorable mostly because the playing is poor, nothing stands out, although not as dire, the same could be said for VL or SW, on the other hand they got tons of great musicians to beef up the tracks for B2B and it added the needed variety...well when the songs weren't fillers (mainly Always Suffering and Too Tight).

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 9, 2023 22:16

Seriously now, would anyone involved in the album to such an extent that they heard it (or part of it) at some stage tell Steve something like, "The album is just so-so, despite the long time in the making"? -- You would only say something like that if you want to get fired.

Date: April 9, 2023 22:54

Hairball
MadMetaphoricalMax

Yes, hoping, waiting, wondering, speculating, and keeping the faith for what seems like eternity now....and "quite good" does sound like a Macca-ism for something thats going to be great.
I've got a feeling that aside from the tune Macca played on, his imprint and influence will be all over this album - he could be the guiding light they've needed all these years to get it done once and for all.

Yeah, it goes without saying - NO MACCA, NO STONES!

Date: April 9, 2023 23:01

gotdablouse
Hairball
lem motlow

They can't release it next year or later, it HAS to be this year, if not they will be laughed at and it will just be shelved and released as a "lost album" sometime dow the road...

Good point by "lem motlow" - ABB was not memorable mostly because the playing is poor, nothing stands out, although not as dire, the same could be said for VL or SW, on the other hand they got tons of great musicians to beef up the tracks for B2B and it added the needed variety...well when the songs weren't fillers (mainly Always Suffering and Too Tight).

I sincerely hope you're right gotdablouse, and as bitusa2012 posted:

"If it’s done, RELEASE THE DAMN THING".

But after all these years without a new album of original material, nothing will surprise me at this point.
As always though, wishing for the best...hopefully it will be this year, but if it it takes another one or two, so be it. smiling smileythumbs up

18 years and counting...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 10, 2023 09:51

The good thing to me is they knew when to stop and hopefully did an autopsy on the last few records.
Mick had clearly lost his fckng mind at some point. He actually said “ it can’t be that hard playing bass in The Rolling Stones” when Bill left.I thought he was joking but he PLAYED BASS on about five songs!
In his defense he thought what was released as Bigger Bang ( that sounds like the title of a WHAM album) was demos.

Jagger was heading to the studio when Was and Keith told him this half baked mess was it, they were done.does Don Was have some sort of blackmail material on the band? It’s the only reason I can think of why he’s allowed near them.

10 songs, the best ones you got, don’t brick wall the shit out of them. That’s it.
You don’t have to “give us more because it’s been so long” 10 songs we’ll be fine.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: April 10, 2023 12:46

lem motlow
The good thing to me is they knew when to stop and hopefully did an autopsy on the last few records.
Mick had clearly lost his fckng mind at some point. He actually said “ it can’t be that hard playing bass in The Rolling Stones” when Bill left.I thought he was joking but he PLAYED BASS on about five songs!
In his defense he thought what was released as Bigger Bang ( that sounds like the title of a WHAM album) was demos.

Jagger was heading to the studio when Was and Keith told him this half baked mess was it, they were done.does Don Was have some sort of blackmail material on the band? It’s the only reason I can think of why he’s allowed near them.

10 songs, the best ones you got, don’t brick wall the shit out of them. That’s it.
You don’t have to “give us more because it’s been so long” 10 songs we’ll be fine.

Yes yes YES. Give that man a cigar. Hit the nail right on the head!

Date: April 10, 2023 13:18

Rolling Stones is a gigantic freight train traveling at full speed. This train has always traveled on a rail named Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. (Keith being the propeller on stage and so on).

No Bill and no Charlie means what you may imply.

Mick and Keith know it. But they may be thinkning "why should we stop anyway? should we stay at home watching tv?".

Besides in that train travelled Brian, Taylor, Booby Keys, Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-10 13:25 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: April 10, 2023 14:06

No worries. We got Macca on board now. The guiding light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-10 14:07 by Topi.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...630631632633634635636637638639640...LastNext
Current Page: 635 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home