Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...615616617618619620621622623624625...LastNext
Current Page: 620 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 23, 2023 23:28

I think it´s hard not to "spam". Things connect, don´t they? Isn´t it lovely when people find something they want to respond to?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2023 23:44

That's right Bjorn - it's all related, and it's all relevant!

620 pages!!!smiling smileyeye popping smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 24, 2023 00:19

Hairball

The post preceding mine discussed McCartney solo stuff only - with no Stones relevance, at all. That I call spamming this special thread. Do remember, you are on a Rolling Stones forum, not a Beatles forum. If you want to, create a Beatles forum of your own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 00:20 by Witness.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 24, 2023 01:00

Witness
Hairball

The post preceding mine discussed McCartney solo stuff only - with no Stones relevance, at all. That I call spamming this special thread. Do remember, you are on a Rolling Stones forum, not a Beatles forum. If you want to, create a Beatles forum of your own!

thumbs up

Date: February 24, 2023 02:44

Witness
Hairball

I guess you must have missed this quote from Bungo in the post preceding yours where he stated:

"Only Sir Paul can save this record.
He's an international treasure and will be sorely missed when he's gone.
One of the greatest songwriter's of the modern age".

Clearly this is related, relevant, and on topic in this "special thread" considering the confirmation from the Stones spokesperson that Paul will be playing bass on the new Stones album.
Besides, the Beatles and Stones have always been linked at the hips going back over 60 years, but now even more so than ever given the latest greatest news regarding the Macca-Stones collaboration.
On a related/relevant note, really hoping the tune that Keith and Paul wrote together a decade ago will see the light of day, and now seems as good as a time as ever.
And maybe that tune will incorporate one of Keith's famous "dynamite riffs" he spoke about several years ago.... thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 02:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 24, 2023 03:06

Stones album = Stones/Macca collab ..at best winking smiley

It's actually just Paul guesting on a song, which he has on other performer's albums countless times. Not typically news or noteworthy though , unlike now when The Rolling Stones invite him to sit in. winking smiley
Hope the hype and his minimal participation doesn't end up detracting from the what will undoubtably be an epic new Stones album. smileys with beer

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: February 24, 2023 03:51

He is just making a guest appearance on a "Blues Cover Band" album.

MisterDDDD

It's actually just Paul guesting on a song, which he has on other performer's albums countless times. Not typically news or noteworthy though , unlike now when The Rolling Stones invite him to sit in. winking smiley
Hope the hype and his minimal participation doesn't end up detracting from the what will undoubtably be an epic new Stones album. smileys with beer

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 24, 2023 04:11

MisterDDDD

This, and not Hairball's ridiculous claim, is what this is all about. I guess motives are as much about publicity as about music for such a participation. Myself I fear though that the said hype will detract from the possible qualities of the album.

Date: February 24, 2023 04:31

Since the tour announcement has been cancelled, and the tour itself is in doubt, hoping they release a new single asap - and to kick it all off with a blast release the Macca/Stones collaboration.
On a side note, would be extra special if they invited Sir Van Morrison to sing on a tune, but I know many people have issues with him over his coronavirus stance, so that might be a bit controversial.
I saw him open for the Stones a couple of times - in Nijmegen where he was rained off the stage after three songs, and in San Jose (or maybe was it Oakland?) where there were rumours floating about
that he would be a special guest on stage with the Stones for a version of Little Red Rooster. Unfortunately it didn't happen for whatever reason, but in hindsight it was a huge missed opportunity imo.
Would love to hear him lend his vocals to the new Stones album...maybe for a remake/cover version of Little Red Rooster!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 24, 2023 05:37

Bjorn
I have just bought a new record player. Vinyl. I am 56 years old and have been missing this shit for over 30 years.Just didn´t know it. It´s like finding my roots again.

Lots of emotions. Very mixed. Stones? A new record in may, june would make everything perfect.

Right now I´m playing the Cheap Trick-Dream Police-album. One dollar/pound/euro at the local "second-hand-dealer", or what you call it in english.

I really like it. But hope to be able to replace it soon. With a record that has Sir Paul on bass on one fantasic and unforgettable track! smiling smiley

well in america we call them thrift stores

nice find by the way

thing about thrift stores is they usually don't sort the wheat from the chaff

last month i picked up a good mono copy of aftermath for 50 cents

and last week i found a good condition copy of "i'm jimmy reed" for the same price

but i had to sort thru what seemed to be hundreds and hundreds of barbara streisand and kenny rodgers records to find them

but it's worth it considering the prices of used vinyl at record shops nowadays

like you i'm really looking forward to having a brand new stones album on vinyl to play

hopefully not at el mocambo prices

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 05:41 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 24, 2023 10:24

ProfessorWolf - wonderful, happy for you! Aftermath, mono and only 50 cent! Yes, thank God, we have these thrift stores. Vinyl for 30, 40, 50 dollars? - it´s insane. And yes, lots of Barbra Streisand and cheap strange records here in Sweden too, but sometimes there´s a little gem hidden in the pile, so to speak. The new Stones album on the other hand, well, sometimes you just have to pay...that´s life , but I won´t buy any other new vinyl records. I just love to be surprised and smile when find something unexpected at pastor Andersons garage sale. smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 24, 2023 12:24

Witness
MisterDDDD

This, and not Hairball's ridiculous claim, is what this is all about. I guess motives are as much about publicity as about music for such a participation. Myself I fear though that the said hype will detract from the possible qualities of the album.

Any publicity is good publicity, they say. The hype is actually a good reminder how big the nostalgic Beatles vs. Stones issue is. Like MisterDDDD pointed out, Macca has quested many times in other people's record, without bigger notice, but this is something different. At least it is a headliner. Probably the one by THE TIMES is the funniest and most revealing. There the whole thing is reduced to: Paul is The Beatles, and Mick is The Stones. So whenever the roads of those two icons cross or they say something about each other or of their old bands that's the latest turn in the ever-going 'Beatles vs. Stones' soap opera and that make headlines (by the way, it is interesting how strongly the media has noticed some casual remark by Mick in one concert.)

But as is with today's hectic media, this is something that after a few days no one cares or remembers outside hardcore Stones or Macca/Beatles fan circles any more (of course, we have our Beatles troll here, who has found a new angle into his anti-Stones agenda, but I think we can handle it).

But I think the most valuable thing in this hype has been that the Stones representatives have been extraordinarily active, and even revealing that Macca's contribution occured during the mixing stage of the album. This is a good sign, and probably indicating that something will happen pretty soon.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 12:48 by Doxa.

Date: February 24, 2023 12:30

Why won't any of the Stones say anything, btw? An anonymous «Stones rep» is hardly a source to build a story on...

Date: February 24, 2023 13:00

DandelionPowderman
Why won't any of the Stones say anything, btw? An anonymous «Stones rep» is hardly a source to build a story on...

Why should they say? You really think that, say, Mick would write e-mails in order to answer some questions by media based on some rumours. That is something they pay for their reps. And I don't think the reps do their job without some guidance by their bosses. But surely Mick and the rest will talk and give interviews when there is a product to promote. We are not there yet...

By the way, Macca's representatives refused to answer. That's natural: this is a Stones affair, their product soon out, and Macca's people surely are not giving a 'little help from their friend' there...

- Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 24, 2023 13:14

ProfessorWolf

like you i'm really looking forward to having a brand new stones album on vinyl to play

thumbs up

It may be on 4 discs and nicely packaged ...but it didn't need 8 sides for the running time and didn't need the fancy hard box/sleeve thingy.

Vinyl releases from the Stones these days are too often aimed at the "Deluxe package" collectors and little thought is given to those of us who aren't made of money and just want to listen to the music on vinyl because we prefer it.

[Apologies for all the editing...dyslexic fingers grinning smiley]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 13:23 by Spud.

Date: February 24, 2023 13:16

Yeah, why confirm anything at all, anonymously? The Stones's reps should have refused to answer as well, imo.

Is this really the way they wanted to confirm that an album will come out soon?

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 24, 2023 13:18

Quick, somebody ask them about the tour! winking smiley

Date: February 24, 2023 13:48

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, why confirm anything at all, anonymously? The Stones's reps should have refused to answer as well, imo.

Is this really the way they wanted to confirm that an album will come out soon?

Of course not. But that they actually bother to comment at all, and do that with pretty specific details in regard to the new album, is I think a good sign. We have to remember that before this it has been just some casual remarks by the band members what we have heard 'officially' about the album. Now their representatives are seemingly guided to provide specific info about the project. A serious step in the realization of it.

Of course, some conspiracy theorists might think that the whole hype is created by the Stones people, you know, leaking some rumours, to build up the hype, but I would not go that far...

- Doxa

Date: February 24, 2023 13:57

To me it looks like the authority and the role of representatives in the business is a bit questioned or belittled here..

I think we should not confuse 'representatives' with 'sources close to the band' or 'insiders' or whatever 'deepthroats' the tabloids build their stories on. The represenatives are the ones working for the band, and the instance media contacts with if they want to ask something about the band. Like some of these articles mention, the communication has been done via e-mails. That of being 'anonymous' is I think a normal procedure in business. Their name doesn't matter, because their sole task is to act as a spokesperson to someone else.

The scenario of, say, THE TIMES trying to reach, say, Keith Richards by phone to ask him about the rumours of The Beatles and Stones supergroup union or that of Keith himself phoning to them to kill the rumours would be out of this world... Well, if Keith attends some public event, probably they could ask some questions there and he might answer, but otherwise, forget it.

- Doxa

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 24, 2023 14:03

DandelionPowderman

I'm sure that Stones rep had at least strict instructions what not to say.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 24, 2023 14:28

Let's hope Macca guests on a "Blues Cover" with tongue firmly in cheek by all

sc uk

Date: February 24, 2023 15:23

straycatuk
Let's hope Macca guests on a "Blues Cover" with tongue firmly in cheek by all

sc uk

Haha.. To make this already Monty Pythonisque sketch even funnier that would be awesome. I would love to see that happen!

But I am afraid that the reality is a bit more boring, and nothing that extraordinary will happen (except the dude playing the bass). The Stones representative mentions Macca playing on a "new song". I don't think he or she would have used that wording if it had not been a literally new song - a new Jagger/Richards(/anyone) original - in question. So I am afraid those wishing the Stones - again - doing a cover of an old song for whatever nostalgic or romantic reasons will be disappointed. Business as usual.

Personally no matter how much I love BLUE & LONESOME, and my counting of years starts from 2016, I look forward to hearing them doing new originals this time.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 15:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 24, 2023 15:41

Me too..

..but if they also knocked out another Blue & Lonesome one lunchtime...I'd be quite happy grinning smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 24, 2023 15:50

Doxa

But I am afraid that the reality is a bit more boring, and nothing that extraordinary will happen (except the dude playing the bass).

I'm afraid that too: the whole fuss about could have been in vain - a 'new song' maybe, but it doesn't mean it'll appear on the new album. When asked about a release, the reply could be: "at some later point in time".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 16:05 by Irix.

Date: February 24, 2023 15:52

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

True.

Also interesting that many of the publications who wrote about this exciting news of a Macca-Stones collaboration, have also highlighted the fact that the Stones have not had a new album of originals since 2005.
It's become a story within an even bigger story...a subplot within the lenrthy twisted saga. Not sure it's something the band wanted any of the focus to be on, but here are some examples....18 years and counting....

- "The Stones, who have not issued a new album of original material since 2005’s “A Bigger Bang...” - Variety

- "The Beatles singer will play bass on one track of the untitled project, the first Stones LP of original material since 2005's A Bigger Bang" - Entertainment Weekly

- "...the untitled collection will be the veteran band’s first new studio album of new songs since 2005’s A Bigger Bang". - Billboard

- "Variety reports that the Stones project — which will mark their first album of new material since 2005’s ‘A Bigger Bang’ — is currently in the mixing phase". - NME

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2023 15:53

Doxa
The Stones representative mentions Macca playing on a "new song".

Neither of the Stones rep's comments quoted by CNN and Billboard said it's a "new" song.

In an email to CNN Wednesday, a representative for the Rolling Stones confirmed that McCartney, 80, plays bass “on just one RS track.”

[www.cnn.com]

A spokesperson for the Stones confirmed to Billboard in an email on Thursday (Feb. 23) that Sir Paul McCartney is “playing bass on a song” on the Mick Jagger-led group’s upcoming album

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 24, 2023 15:58

Hairball
doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

True.

Also interesting that many of the publications who wrote about this exciting news of a Macca-Stones collaboration, have also highlighted the fact that the Stones have not had a new album of originals since 2005.
It's become a story within an even bigger story...a subplot within the lenrthy twisted saga. Not sure it's something the band wanted any of the focus to be on, but here are some examples....18 years and counting....

- "The Stones, who have not issued a new album of original material since 2005’s “A Bigger Bang...” - Variety

- "The Beatles singer will play bass on one track of the untitled project, the first Stones LP of original material since 2005's A Bigger Bang" - Entertainment Weekly

- "...the untitled collection will be the veteran band’s first new studio album of new songs since 2005’s A Bigger Bang". - Billboard

- "Variety reports that the Stones project — which will mark their first album of new material since 2005’s ‘A Bigger Bang’ — is currently in the mixing phase". - NME

most likely the all have the same source and/or are copying from each other

Date: February 24, 2023 16:01

Spud
Me too..

..but if they also knocked out another Blue & Lonesome one lunchtime...I'd be quite happy grinning smiley

The same here. The fanboy in me would welcome any such album any minute, and would wish a new version to come every month from a mail like an electricity bill. But the critical observer in me thinking their doings and career and legacy in more universal terms, might have some reservations...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 16:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2023 16:02

ProfessorWolf
Bjorn
I have just bought a new record player. Vinyl. I am 56 years old and have been missing this shit for over 30 years.Just didn´t know it. It´s like finding my roots again.

Lots of emotions. Very mixed. Stones? A new record in may, june would make everything perfect.

Right now I´m playing the Cheap Trick-Dream Police-album. One dollar/pound/euro at the local "second-hand-dealer", or what you call it in english.

I really like it. But hope to be able to replace it soon. With a record that has Sir Paul on bass on one fantasic and unforgettable track! smiling smiley

well in america we call them thrift stores

nice find by the way

thing about thrift stores is they usually don't sort the wheat from the chaff

last month i picked up a good mono copy of aftermath for 50 cents

and last week i found a good condition copy of "i'm jimmy reed" for the same price

but i had to sort thru what seemed to be hundreds and hundreds of barbara streisand and kenny rodgers records to find them

but it's worth it considering the prices of used vinyl at record shops nowadays

Congrats on your find...that is truly unusual. I find that you do have to go through a helluva lot of Barbra Streisand and Kenny Rogers to find anything unique...and a Stones or Beatles record? Almost unheard of...but diligence pays off, you never know. Good job!

Date: February 24, 2023 16:04

slewan
Hairball
doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

True.

most likely the all have the same source and/or are copying from each other

It doesn't take a "source' to state or come up with a well known and obvious fact - a quick google search of the Stones discography says it all.
And stating a simple well known fact with different words and phrases wouldn't be considered "copying".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...615616617618619620621622623624625...LastNext
Current Page: 620 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home