Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...398399400401402403404405406407408...LastNext
Current Page: 403 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:04

Just a bit of fun, Erik. Didn't mean for it to be taken to heart.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:09

No worries, Rocky, but just after posting I regretted it, because I'm not in that 32-min clan anyway; I'm all for a 7" , So that's about 7-8 minutes.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:26

Erik_Snow
Rocky Dijon
These same folks will also buy the deluxe edition with [..]
Nope, not all of "us"

Promised?

Date: December 6, 2019 22:31

Erik_Snow
No worries, Rocky, but just after posting I regretted it, because I'm not in that 32-min clan anyway; I'm all for a 7" , So that's about 7-8 minutes.

That was funny. So you're more of a "Gotta Get a Grip"/"England Lost" man, eh? Well, you can't always tell about people.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:36

Erik_Snow

Anyway, but I can imagine the Stones super clever marketing machine coming up with a Super Deluxe Edition as described by Rocky even for a 7" to make the most out of only 7-8 minutes of new material.

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: December 6, 2019 22:56

KRiffhard
Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

Bungo we miss you!!! I'm still hoping that your story it's true!!
Anyway, do you have some news from your source?

Just hold your water for a little while longer. The new record will be finished sometime in the next 6 months and everyone will be well again.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 6, 2019 23:02

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

Anyway, but I can imagine the Stones super clever marketing machine coming up with a Super Deluxe Edition as described by Rocky even for a 7" to make the most out of only 7-8 minutes of new material.

They probably would ! - come to think of that, they were a little late with running things that way;
some thought they were cynical with people having to buy the 15 euro priced 2CD Forty Licks in 2002 just because of 4 new tracks. Probably the same thing with Sucking in the 70s, Flowers, etc. If they had 4 new tracks now, in 2019....
They'd be rich men if they'd got the idea earlier in their career! They missed out on....thousands!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 6, 2019 23:08

Having listened to the new Who album - which I am really impressed with - it makes me think that the only way we will get a decent new Stones album is if they break the Jagger/Richard's axis and let others (eg Ronnie, others?).have more of an input in the creation and production of the songs. Mick is too focused on trying to compete with Drake and all that modern shit, and Keith is stuck in no man's land - perhaps he's cranking out some amazing riffs but I think these days they need more than just a riff or two... I just think.they need to approach this differently because they seem to be stuck/blocked at the moment.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 6, 2019 23:21

400+ pages. At least the year was changed in the subject line again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 00:13 by bam.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 6, 2019 23:26

john lomax
Having listened to the new Who album - which I am really impressed with - it makes me think that the only way we will get a decent new Stones album is if they break the Jagger/Richard's axis and let others (eg Ronnie, others?).have more of an input in the creation and production of the songs. Mick is too focused on trying to compete with Drake and all that modern shit, and Keith is stuck in no man's land - perhaps he's cranking out some amazing riffs but I think these days they need more than just a riff or two... I just think.they need to approach this differently because they seem to be stuck/blocked at the moment.

thumbs up

Date: December 7, 2019 01:42

I'm guessing you missed the bit where Pete wrote a rap for one of the songs but Roger refused to sing it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 7, 2019 10:51

I hope that in the next interview they will not say: 'We are still in the early stages"
Until 1 year ago, they were...
[www.loudersound.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-07 10:51 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 7, 2019 11:15

I want to be optimistic, it's the first time that an album takes so long and maybe it's the right choice if it gives birth to a great album.
Usually their best works were done when they met all together somewhere. In fact this is a new approach and perhaps it could be prolific.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 7, 2019 12:19

rap's not exactly 'modern shit' mind, it's nearly as old as me...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 7, 2019 12:23

eeeerrrr so ya forty five ???

ROCKMAN

Date: December 7, 2019 13:24

yup, you got me Rocky (well, 44)
smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:24

Rocky Dijon
Spud
I think we would all concur that most of their best work was recorded when they were virtually holed up together ia big old house in France for weeks on end.

...and that scenario isn't going to be repeated today

Oh, you mean A BIGGER BANG. No, they're not recording that way this time.

grinning smiley
I quite like ABB actually ...[especially the rather less compressed Abbey Road master.]

You could say I suppose that Keith had his own way with that one... in that further months weren't spent remixing and mucking about with it.winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:38

Why is thread now a sticky?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:56

Sticky ?

It's positively soggy and rancid !

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 7, 2019 15:56

Maindefender

Maybe because 2020 is knocking...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 7, 2019 16:02

shortfatfanny
Maindefender

Maybe because 2020 is knocking...

Q: Knock knock.

A: Who’s there?

A: 2020 Who?

No, that was in 2019....tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 7, 2019 21:06

peoplewitheyes
rap's not exactly 'modern shit' mind, it's nearly as old as me...

Perhaps an understandable mistake on my part since you said "Jagger was focused on Drake and all that modern shit" and Drake describes himself as a rapper.

Mind you, if Jagger was truly "focused on modern shit," would he have almost exclusively toured his greatest hits from 1965-1981 these past seven years, played a set of blues songs at the White House in 2012, and put out an entire album of blues songs in 2016?

His extracurricular activities during that time has been to do a few guest spots with blues and country artists, produce a James Brown biopic, and create and produce an HBO series about the music industry in the 1970s. Not exactly a forward-looking sort of guy when you think of it that way.

Date: December 7, 2019 21:11

hey Rocky, I didn't say that about Jagger wanting to be Drake!

I merely commented that rap isn't exactly this year's latest fad. It's almost as old as disco, something that many would agree the Stones took on with great aplomb.

Anyways, keep up the excellent analysis RockyD, love reading your thoughts (and when you place that signature sentence at the end of your posts, accusing you of various misdemeanours!)

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: December 7, 2019 21:45

As the days go by I find myself, increasingly, unsure about whether The Stones should do another studio album or not. It would be incredibly sad if something really substandard were to emerge. Occasionally I wonder to myself if, in fact, an album has already been made, but failed to reach the required quality threshold. Hence the endless delays, and confusions, that surround this issue.

I say none of this from a critical or dismissive perspective. The band have given me a whole lifetime of pleasure, from the first time I heard the impertinent swagger of It's All Over Now through to the recent 50th anniversary release of the Let It Bleed box set, and all points in between. For more years than anyone could possibly have expected, The Stones managed to, somehow, defy the ageing process. Or at least appear to. But that is no longer possible. And their creative capabilities are bound to be affected by this. I realise there may be recordings in the vaults that could be utilised. And also perhaps partly finished material that might be worthy of completion. There may even be a new song or two inside the heads of Mick and Keith. But, despite all of this, there is a distinct risk of us getting a dogs breakfast of an album - something that sounds like a cobbled together jumble of bits and pieces.

When Blue and Lonesome came out I thought that it would be a rather wonderful way of bringing down the curtain on The Stones recording career. Going back to their roots. Paying dues to their influences. And ending where they began - as a superb rhythm and blues band who could take material crafted by the old masters of the blues and putting their own unique spin on it.

Its a thought!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 7, 2019 23:22

einestages: "Blue and Lonesome", das letzte Stones-Album, bestand aus Blues-Coversongs. Ist ein komplett neues Werk zu erwarten?

Wood: Ja. Wir sind schon dabei. Das neue Album ist wie ein Puzzle, wir müssen noch die fehlenden Teile zusammensetzen. Wir hoffen, es 2020 zu veröffentlichen und dann unsere Welttournee fortzusetzen.

[www.spiegel.de]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2019 00:40

That quote above seems more intense when posted in the German language.
Still though, "puzzle", "missing parts", and "hope" add up to the same thing - no new album on the horizon.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 8, 2019 01:25

Spud
Rocky Dijon
Spud
I think we would all concur that most of their best work was recorded when they were virtually holed up together ia big old house in France for weeks on end.

...and that scenario isn't going to be repeated today

Oh, you mean A BIGGER BANG. No, they're not recording that way this time.

grinning smiley
I quite like ABB actually ...[especially the rather less compressed Abbey Road master.]

You could say I suppose that Keith had his own way with that one... in that further months weren't spent remixing and mucking about with it.winking smiley

It was more than that that Mick had in mind, he apparently wanted to go to a proper studio and record the album proper, likelu with outside help (if not why bother?) like they did for B2B to great effet for the most part. The decision to stick with the French recordings was likely made fairly early though, at least before the tour was announced.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 8, 2019 04:30

peoplewitheyes
hey Rocky, I didn't say that about Jagger wanting to be Drake!

I merely commented that rap isn't exactly this year's latest fad. It's almost as old as disco, something that many would agree the Stones took on with great aplomb.

Anyways, keep up the excellent analysis RockyD, love reading your thoughts (and when you place that signature sentence at the end of your posts, accusing you of various misdemeanours!)

Misdemeanours like attributing Mr. Lomax's quote to you in my encroaching senility. Mea culpa, peoplewitheyes!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 8, 2019 05:04

44 ….. hey wow that was close ……..
Ya should play the Howlin' Wolf track …….
When we we's on the tear we sing those opening lines all daaa time...…

I wore my .44 so long, I've made my shoulder sore
I wore my .44 so long, I done made my shoulder sore

…………………………………………………………………………. Forty Four -- Chester Burnett

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 8, 2019 20:09

jlowe
I have never seen a Jane Rose Manager type in the background. Mick has P.A's of course to sort out his personal life.

Judging from what one can read at times, Jane Rose's job appears to be situated rather in the latter department. Like, making sure Keith doesn't miss his appointments by more than six hours, catches his flights, and packs a spare pair of socks and panties, etc.

bam
400+ pages. At least the year was changed in the subject line again.

Yep, and now we're going for 500! grinning smiley

mtaylor
Wood: Ja. Wir sind schon dabei. Das neue Album ist wie ein Puzzle, wir müssen noch die fehlenden Teile zusammensetzen.

Would be interesting to know what Ron actually said in English. "Wir sind schon dabei" comes close to "We've already started" Kind of, early stages in full flight. Putting the ablum together like pieces of a puzzle sounds a bit like condensing the 40+ song (not to forget the three dynamite riffs) by making to or three songs (or sketches of songs) into one. Like, this piece here makes a good verse, any piece anywhere that might serve as the chorus (and some snippets for the middle eight)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 21:07 by doitywoik.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...398399400401402403404405406407408...LastNext
Current Page: 403 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home