Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...401402403404405406407408409410411...LastNext
Current Page: 406 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2020?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 11, 2019 07:51

TornAndFried
bitusa2012
Tonstone
Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour

Why would releasing a new album for $20 hamper Live concert ticket sales? Ridiculous

They could give a copy of the album away to people who purchase a ticket to one of their shows.

Why SHOULD they?

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 11, 2019 08:35

bitusa2012
TornAndFried
bitusa2012
Tonstone
Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour

Why would releasing a new album for $20 hamper Live concert ticket sales? Ridiculous

They could give a copy of the album away to people who purchase a ticket to one of their shows.

Why SHOULD they?

All they'd have to do is raise the price of tickets by $20 which they'll probably do anyways.
The cost of a cd (literally a piece of plastic)is a fraction of what people pay, so to give one away for "free" shouldn't be a problem as many bands do it.
And as an added benefit for the Stones, it will help spike the numbers of cd's being moved giving them a better chance at getting something high in the charts.
David Gilmour had a number one with help of giving them away, and the new Who was also given away and is projected to be a number one this week.
But I think the original point by Tonstone is any negative reviews (if there are any) will be a deterrent for some people to pay for a concert ticket.
In other words, "well it's a crappy new album and I don't want to spend money to see them play some crappy new music".

EDIT/PS: There was insider talk and speculation of the band giving away the new album w/tickets bought prior to the North American No Filter tour, but ultimately there was no new album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 08:39 by Hairball.

Date: December 11, 2019 09:30

Hairball
Unfortunately they only played two (or three) tunes from B&L, and never more than one at the same show. A shame as the tunes were far superior live in the context of a Stones show, while listening to the album itself was just an average experience.
Would have been nice to have some club shows where they played B&L from start to finish (along with some of the classics), but I realize that's an unrealistic thought in these latter days of massive nostalgia filled stadium tours.

They played two BL-tracks the first tour leg. For the next leg they went down to one. Then they did the acoustic set instead.

Date: December 11, 2019 09:34

georgelicks
IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

Stones fans are the toughest to please...

They certainly are. While they are loved .. their true die-hards can be really
tough on them.

Hence .. (and I am paraphrasing below):

A new album is something I would 'not' buy (>>?). I had to read this twice in thinking .. Ummmmm wait a minute here ... did he say he ..'wouldn't'.. consider buying it??

Their US album sales went this way since Voodoo Lounge:

VL: 2.3 million
B2B: 1.3 m
ABB: 600k
B&L: 350k

Where is the news with the lack of interest in their new material?

And how do they do compared with the general decline in album sales for ALL artists/bands?

Date: December 11, 2019 10:05

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Unfortunately they only played two (or three) tunes from B&L, and never more than one at the same show. A shame as the tunes were far superior live in the context of a Stones show, while listening to the album itself was just an average experience.
Would have been nice to have some club shows where they played B&L from start to finish (along with some of the classics), but I realize that's an unrealistic thought in these latter days of massive nostalgia filled stadium tours.

They played two BL-tracks the first tour leg. For the next leg they went down to one. Then they did the acoustic set instead.

I was referring to the North American shows, but should have made that clear. They played one at each Desert Trip wkd. (Ride 'em On Down wkd. I and Just Your Fool wkd. II), and then Ride 'em on Down again at *Vegas '16.
Also, they played Ride em On Down as well as the acoustic set at Chicago II '19, but that might have been the last of the B&L blues covers unfortunately.

EDIT: Quickly glancing through some N.A. '19 setlists, I see they also played Ride 'Em On Down (with Gary Clark Jr) and the acoustic set at Gillette stadium...without looking at every show, maybe that was was the last of the B&L blues covers....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-11 10:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 11, 2019 14:11

I would have thought 350k sales (for B and L) is very respectable by today's standards. Plenty of profit for the label and the hard up musicians.
Not an expensive record to make...3 days was it?

Date: December 11, 2019 15:10

DandelionPowderman
georgelicks
IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

tough on them.

A new album is something I would 'not' buy (>>?). I had to read this twice in thinking .. Ummmmm wait a minute here ... did he say he ..'wouldn't'.. consider buying it??

And how do they do compared with the general decline in album sales for ALL artists/bands?

album sales were peaking in the late 90's so the drop from VL to B2B had nothing to do at all with overall album sales decline

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 11, 2019 15:57

Regardless if the album is stellar you will only hear 2 songs maximum. If it’s good why not do 7 stadiums with usual set list and then do 7 theaters like NYC, LA, Chicago and perform the 9 or 10 songs in full. Again if it’s just a stadium tour we will get the lead off single in the 3rd or 4th spot on set list. honky tonk, tumbling etc ain’t going any where. Stadium masses go for the hits so the quality of new material is irrelevant to most

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 11, 2019 16:32

Oh I'm sure this new album, whenever it comes out, will have a huge amount of pomp and circumstance associated with it. Certainly a making of type documentary on Netflix which would be cool.......

Date: December 11, 2019 16:33

georgelicks
IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

tough on them.

Hello George what's the latest timeline? Been a while since you updated us.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 11, 2019 16:54

Hairball
I would never hope for a tour promoting an album as in the old days. One new tune per show, maybe alternating between two every other show, but never three. As for Europe where they're seemingly "a bit more daring", one only has to look at the recent No Filter legs to see that the setlists were consistently similar give or take a tune here and there. The ABB and Licks tour also had the same similarities. Not sure how far back you have to go to find this "daring" Rolling Stones you speak of...maybe all the way back to '63?

I was thinking of the Vienna 2006 concert where they played "Oh No Not You Again", "Rain Fall Down", "Streets Of Love", "This Place Is Empty" and "Rough Justice" from ABB, which is possibly a latter-day record (five new songs!). Not sure, though, how to interprete this. Either they have a special love for Vienna and it was for that reason that they gave us 5 new songs, or they thought the folks here don't care anyway ... winking smiley

But anyways, on that tour (Europe 2006) there were at least three ABB songs in the normal set list and the occasional fourth one in Keith's set. Still not much but better than nothing. I don't think either that one could expect much more now with a new album to back up. Too lazy to get back to the US dates of the ABB tour to check the setlists there ...

Date: December 11, 2019 17:17

<Regardless if the album is stellar you will only hear 2 songs maximum>

That has never happened on a tour with an album of originals.

Date: December 11, 2019 17:19

doitywoik
Hairball
I would never hope for a tour promoting an album as in the old days. One new tune per show, maybe alternating between two every other show, but never three. As for Europe where they're seemingly "a bit more daring", one only has to look at the recent No Filter legs to see that the setlists were consistently similar give or take a tune here and there. The ABB and Licks tour also had the same similarities. Not sure how far back you have to go to find this "daring" Rolling Stones you speak of...maybe all the way back to '63?

I was thinking of the Vienna 2006 concert where they played "Oh No Not You Again", "Rain Fall Down", "Streets Of Love", "This Place Is Empty" and "Rough Justice" from ABB, which is possibly a latter-day record (five new songs!). Not sure, though, how to interprete this. Either they have a special love for Vienna and it was for that reason that they gave us 5 new songs, or they thought the folks here don't care anyway ... winking smiley

But anyways, on that tour (Europe 2006) there were at least three ABB songs in the normal set list and the occasional fourth one in Keith's set. Still not much but better than nothing. I don't think either that one could expect much more now with a new album to back up. Too lazy to get back to the US dates of the ABB tour to check the setlists there ...

That happened quite often on the first leg of the tour. Not very common on the second or third leg, though...

Date: December 11, 2019 18:03

Maindefender
Oh I'm sure this new album, whenever it comes out, will have a huge amount of pomp and circumstance associated with it. Certainly a making of type documentary on Netflix which would be cool.......

Yes - wall to wall coverage would be interesting to see. The highs and lows, ups and downs, ins and outs, etc. of the never ending and difficult process of making a rock and roll album for a band in their '70's, interspersed with with brief family film footage clips of holidays and vacation time. Keith and Mick doing voice overs during the most intense moments (the Getta Grip setback, etc), while Charlie is shown occasionally looking puzzled and Ronnie doodling colorful song titles happy as can be.

On a semi- serious note, I'm sure it will be a historic occasion where the entire world will breathe a sigh of relief.

Date: December 11, 2019 18:35

doitywoik
Hairball

Vienna 2006 with five songs from ABB is probably a record and an anomaly...almost feel sorry for those in attendance having to suffer through them all. winking smiley
Without going through every setlist of the lengthy ABB tour, I recall them doing quite a few during the first leg in the US in '05, and eventually tapering off the number drastically by the time the tour ended.

A quick and random comparison:

Fenway Park, Boston - August 23, 2005: They played four tunes from ABB (Rough Justice, Back Of My Hand, Infamy, Oh No, Not You Again) .
The O2, London - August 21, 2007: The only played one (Rough Justice).

Along with those tunes above, somewhere during the tour I saw them play Rain Fall Down which was good live, and also Streets of Love which was a living nightmare.
In total and based on the above, they played at least six tunes from ABB....seems I recall they also played She Saw Me Coming somewhere, but could be wrong.
So if there is a new album to coincide with the new tour, doubt they'll be able to match that number or even come close to it considering how short the tours are.
And if the album happens to be GREAT that would be a shame, but on the other hand if it's a crappy album maybe best to spare those in attendance and limit it to one.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 11, 2019 18:51

DandelionPowderman

Not limited to Stones, just prefer live material.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: December 11, 2019 18:53

Just one guy's opinion but I'll take a scaled down Dead Flowers on the B Stage over a song of Blue and Lonesome every time.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 11, 2019 18:56

TornAndFried
bitusa2012
Tonstone

That would give be 6 to 10 copies to give away woohoo. I ended up with 17 copies of the last Ben Harper CD and have multiple copies of a few others.

Date: December 11, 2019 19:06

daspyknows
TornAndFried
bitusa2012
Tonstone

That would give be 6 to 10 copies to give away woohoo. I ended up with 17 copies of the last Ben Harper CD and have multiple copies of a few others.

I had about eight David Gilmour cd's and ended up giving a few away here and on a Pink Floyd forum (where almost everyone already had multiple copies).
Still have at least two copies unopened and one that I played for a week or so as it's not the greatest album by any means.

Should be getting five WHO cd's soon, but still waiting...will be happy to give a couple away after they all arrive.

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: December 11, 2019 21:31

Gaetzi
Just one guy's opinion but I'll take a scaled down Dead Flowers on the B Stage over a song of Blue and Lonesome every time.

Yes, indeed. I really like Blue and Lonesome but I want to hear the Stones play their songs.

I can still remember when albums were just 8 or 9 songs. Not 10 or 12. Somehow, back then, just get 8 songs felt more special. It also made the material easier to make a part of your life.

I say this because bands always worked on and wrote more than just the 8 or 9 they released which made those songs more thoughtful and polished.

I would rather get 8 songs with 2 or 3 gems than 12 with just 1 gem.

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: December 11, 2019 21:38

Doxa
Rocky Dijon
Doxa

There was a time I was proud to be a Rolling Stones fan. Not anymore. Nothing wrong with the the band, but the fans. I've seen enough of polority all over the world. I log out.

- Doxa

Our loss far more than yours, I suspect. Less aggravation and unnecessary stress for you certainly.

No loss anywhere, bullshit less here or there, no meaning. But just think of what the guys themselves say, like they did last year about "Miss You":

Rock purists at the time were horrified that the Stones had supposedly sold out and “gone disco” — a laughable nonscandal now, considering how many current rock acts (Muse, Beck, Franz Ferdinand, the Killers, and pretty much any band that’s ever released a remix) draw from dance music now. Recalling the backlash, Richards remarked in his dry and delectable drawl: “Purists of any kind really piss me off. Of course, there are some who are gonna think this or that. But that’s their privilege; it’s cool with me. Not everyone’s gonna get it the first time.”

“Yeah, I mean, now it’s ridiculous to even think about,” Jagger marveled. “It’s a bit like Bob Dylan going electric, isn’t it? It’s ridiculous to even think that people made a fuss about it. Now you look back and think, ‘How stupid was that?’ There were a lot of people that were very narrow-minded about it. To me, I wasn’t brought up on rock music so much as blues and soul music, and a lot of that music was dance music. It was specifically made to dance to. You know, I like dancing, so as far as I’m concerned, all sorts of fast songs for me were all made to dance to. So obviously, I’d be very interested in making dance music. And that particular groove was the groove of the moment. You don’t really play the grooves of yesteryear when you make records; you play the grooves of now. And that sort of beat was the thing that was going around at the time. For some people, it was a very big hit, but not everyone liked it.”

Sometimes I feel like the band people like isn't really the one it really is. The Stones are the best rock'n'roll band of the world no doubt, but the secret of their greatness is that that they never been any 'proper' rock band an sich - they are just a bunch of rhythm and blues musicians, inspired by whatever kind of black American music, who just are able to make a noise that makes people make their asses move. They are not a soundtrack for some bloody redneck KKK rally. "You Can't Always Get What You Want", my ass.

If one wants some 'proper' rock music, go ahead and buy the new Who album or something. And try to stay awake. At least remember to hate that odd Jagger guy.

- Doxa

This is why I have been reading this board for over ten years. Bravo!

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: December 12, 2019 00:10

Hairball
Maindefender

Yes - wall to wall coverage would be interesting to see. The highs and lows, ups and downs, ins and outs, etc. of the never ending and difficult process of making a rock and roll album for a band in their '70's, interspersed with with brief family film footage clips of holidays and vacation time. Keith and Mick doing voice overs during the most intense moments (the Getta Grip setback, etc), while Charlie is shown occasionally looking puzzled and Ronnie doodling colorful song titles happy as can be.

On a semi- serious note, I'm sure it will be a historic occasion where the entire world will breathe a sigh of relief.

pls refresh our memories: what, precisely was "the getta grip setback" ... and what, exactly, did it set back?

my memory is:

1) mick had a couple of songs

2) keith didn't dig 'em

3) so mick recorded them with charlie and ron, then

4) released 'em as solo singles, and

5) keith was surprised

did this sequence represent a "setback" because had mick never released the singles we'd have had a stones album by now?

or is this just more of a general editorial comment on what you perceive to be the overall crappiness of the singles in question?

Date: December 12, 2019 00:27

LazarusSmith
Hairball
Maindefender

pls refresh our memories: what, precisely was "the getta grip setback" ... and what, exactly, did it set back?

my memory is:

1) mick had a couple of songs

2) keith didn't dig 'em

3) so mick recorded them with charlie and ron, then

4) released 'em as solo singles, and

5) keith was surprised

did this sequence represent a "setback" because had mick never released the singles we'd have had a stones album by now?

or is this just more of a general editorial comment on what you perceive to be the overall crappiness of the singles in question?

I don't think most people need their memory refreshed, but you covered it well and I would say yes to most of the above.
But no - even if Mick had never released them there probably still wouldn't be a new album.

As it stands he took time to record and release them, he took time to promote them, and he had videos made, etc., etc., etc - all the while he could have been focusing on the Stones album.
In other words it was a setback on the work in progress of the new Stones album. And yes, in my opinion the singles were crappy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 12, 2019 02:19

Yep Doxa .… know what you mean ….

ROCKMAN

Date: December 12, 2019 03:59

Hairball
Maindefender

Why bother responding and then come up with “semi serious” drivel? We all know the machine will hype the Greatest a Rock n’ a Roll band 8n the world

Date: December 12, 2019 04:10

Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender

Why bother responding and then come up with “semi serious” drivel? We all know the machine will hype the Greatest a Rock n’ a Roll band 8n the world

Because my post was completely tongue-in-cheek in response to what you now say is something "we all know". If it's something we all know, then why even post it in the first place? And why so serious?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 12, 2019 04:49

georgelicks
IanBillen
DandelionPowderman

tough on them.

Has nothing to do with 'sales'. It has to do with a die hard Rolling Stones fan saying he has no plans on buying their next album. Nine out of ten major Stones fans who bought their last two or three studio albums will buy or download this one as well. It is mostly the general public / casual fan in which sales have declined for them (along with many other acts).

My point was here we have a die hard Rolling Stones fan .. one who is even heavily involved in a Rolling Stones message board saying he has no plans / interest in their next record. On a U2, Neil Young, Bob Dylan .. Duran Duran .. Neil Diamond ... Lady Gaga ... Elton John ... etc. etc. a statement like this is very very rare yet on a RS message board statements like this are not so uncommon (in the end it is my guess that he will end up buying or at least downloading it). My point is many of their die hard fans are tough on them or naysayers (most of The time it isn't I .. but The Stones themselves who prove them wrong).

The only times they are not tough is when they SHOULD be ... like them saying they need or at a lack of 'family time' and good rest etc. etc. (which I feel that part .. or neglect due to those aspects is a really laughable excuse).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-12 04:53 by IanBillen.

Date: December 12, 2019 04:56

Howdy Ian - with no news yet regarding the supposed December sessions for the supposed new album, seems some of the natives here are getting quite restless, anxious, impatient, and some even angry.
I hope you're doing well with a level head as always, just as I am, knowing this process has been going on for years, sometimes with no insider updates for weeks and even months on end.
Happy Holidays from California! smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2019 05:00

Tonstone
New album ? why would they want to put out new songs that will only get slated 'Not as Good as Exile - Not a Tattoo You or a Sticky Fingers.

Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour That's where the money is.Get used to it if they really wanted they could have put something out. Ask yourself why they have not.

Let's see... using your logic, the following would not exist:

STEEL WHEELS
VOODOO LOUNGE
BRIDGES TO BABYLON
A BIGGER BANG
BLUE AND LONESOME

A new album will not hamper ticket sales. What a load of anti-vaxxing crap that is.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2019 05:02

Tonstone
DandelionPowderman
Tonstone
New album ? why would they want to put out new songs that will only get slated 'Not as Good as Exile - Not a Tattoo You or a Sticky Fingers.

Mick knows there is no money in releasing a new studio album that will get Negative press and would hamper Live concert ticket sales on the Never Ending No Filter Tour That's where the money is.Get used to it if they really wanted they could have put something out. Ask yourself why they have not.

They did put something out. It sold remarkably well and won a Grammy...

C'mon Dandy of course it sold well , Well known Blues Tracks by the Stones is a given and I would buy them all day long , My point is would new songs that are not old Blues standards be appealing ? They would last a couple of Plays and be forgotten . Bridges To Babylon & A Bigger Bang spring to mind.Only my opinion.

B&L was, for the most part, not well known blues tracks. It sold well because a lot of people felt like it was the first good Stones album in eons based on what they heard: older general Stones fans like it when the Stones play blues.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...401402403404405406407408409410411...LastNext
Current Page: 406 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1614
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home