Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...290291292293294295296297298299300...LastNext
Current Page: 295 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 14, 2019 11:03

jlowe

I echo your views re Band v Solo dynamics.
Yet.
The Beatles, as an example were hardly the most harmonious of relationships in 68/69.
Yet.
They produced some of their best work. Of course they were in full creative flow.
Which clearly Mick and Keith seemingly are not.

You could argue that the Beatles albums, pretty much since Sgt.Pepper, were just a collection of solo-albums, part McCartney, part Lennon and the space that was left over was for George, and, hence, not really a band effort, at least not according to my definition of a band (= a communal effort).

What is admirable about the Beatles was that they had the courage to stop, even when it meant considerable less success, even for McCartney, but more artistic honesty, authenticity or whatever you want to call it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 11:07 by matxil.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 14, 2019 11:43

matxil
jlowe

I echo your views re Band v Solo dynamics.
Yet.
The Beatles, as an example were hardly the most harmonious of relationships in 68/69.
Yet.
They produced some of their best work. Of course they were in full creative flow.
Which clearly Mick and Keith seemingly are not.

You could argue that the Beatles albums, pretty much since Sgt.Pepper, were just a collection of solo-albums, part McCartney, part Lennon and the space that was left over was for George, and, hence, not really a band effort, at least not according to my definition of a band (= a communal effort).

What is admirable about the Beatles was that they had the courage to stop, even when it meant considerable less success, even for McCartney, but more artistic honesty, authenticity or whatever you want to call it.

However, one might think there is courage involved, also in going on.

And what integrity will mean for a band, needs themselves to define what it is for them.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 14, 2019 11:55

runrudolph
Oh well....i guess there will be a new album to coincide with the South American tour in 2020.

Jeroen

Didn't Keith recently say he hoped this would be the last Tour, so 2020 is wishful thinking.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 14, 2019 11:58

keithsman
runrudolph
Oh well....i guess there will be a new album to coincide with the South American tour in 2020.

Jeroen

Didn't Keith recently say he hoped this would be the last Tour, so 2020 is wishful thinking.

"Hoped"? Did not read that anywhere

Date: February 14, 2019 12:11

maumau
keithsman
runrudolph

Jeroen

"Hoped"? Did not read that anywhere

I'm trying to think where he said it, it was in a recent interview, he said something like that.

It' been my view that since 2012 Keith has had to go along because he would hate to be replaced lol. Doesn't really have much choice does he.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 12:14 by keithsman.

Date: February 14, 2019 12:16

Got it, he says maybe this will be the last tour. Possibly wishful thinking on his part or why would he say it .
But yeah sorry i got that wrong, he doesn't say he hopes it's the last one.

In the last year there have been a lot of retirement tours. What do you make of those? Rod Stewart recently said that Elton John’s three-year farewell tour was “dishonest” and “stinks of selling tickets.”
Well, you can look at it either way. If you mean it, that’s the way it is. I just haven’t gotten around to thinking in that head yet. I don’t know if you never know. Maybe this will be the last one, I don’t know.
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 12:29 by keithsman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2019 12:32

keithsman
runrudolph

Jeroen

No, he Did not say that !!!
Jeroen

Date: February 14, 2019 12:40

runrudolph
keithsman
runrudolph

Jeroen

No, he Did not say that !!!
Jeroen

Yes i just told you what he said above.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 14, 2019 15:31

keithsman
Got it, he says maybe this will be the last tour. Possibly wishful thinking on his part or why would he say it .

In the last year there have been a lot of retirement tours. What do you make of those? Rod Stewart recently said that Elton John’s three-year farewell tour was “dishonest” and “stinks of selling tickets.”
Well, you can look at it either way. If you mean it, that’s the way it is. I just haven’t gotten around to thinking in that head yet. I don’t know if you never know. Maybe this will be the last one, I don’t know.
[www.rollingstone.com]

Actually I was surprised and even moved by that Keith remark. Probably something to do with his sobriety, but all that pirate myth-based macho-talk of his and their ever-shining immortality is gone and replaced by a mature and realistic reflection of his and their actual situation and condition. I wish he could have written/thought out loud LIFE from a similar perspective.

- Doxa

Date: February 14, 2019 16:27

Doxa
keithsman

[www.rollingstone.com]

Actually I was surprised and even moved by that Keith remark. Probably something to do with his sobriety, but all that pirate myth-based macho-talk of his and their ever-shining immortality is gone and replaced by a mature and realistic reflection of his and their actual situation and condition. I wish he could have written/thought out loud LIFE from a similar perspective.

- Doxa

Yeah Keith seems to have finally grown up in many ways, drinking stunts your growth in emotional ways, and in the Bio, Life, he was telling the story of Keef through the image. As much as i enjoyed that book , i was disappointed with Keith refusing to lower the mask. In a way i understand he didn't want to destroy an image he had invested so much of his life into, in another way it was a missed opportunity.
In the same way i would love to see Mick more open, hey maybe he could show a more vulnerable side to his personality, but when he has in the past it has back fired , so i also understand why he is guarded.
It was interesting that the lyric in Micks new twitter clip says he really wants to tell the truth, tell what truth ?? Mmm he's a dark horse if you ask me, with some dark friends from dark places, but incredibly well connected so we will never know the truth. I would hate for Mick or Keith to become too sappy and honest, a bit of mystery don't hurt winking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2019 16:31

Doxa
[Actually I was surprised and even moved by that Keith remark. Probably something to do with his sobriety, but all that pirate myth-based macho-talk of his and their ever-shining immortality is gone and replaced by a mature and realistic reflection of his and their actual situation and condition. I wish he could have written/thought out loud LIFE from a similar perspective.

- Doxa

I think he's just become more comfortable in his skin over recent years...with the increased sobriety more a result than a cause of that.

And when you're comfortable with yourself, you don't mind others seeing who you really are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 16:33 by Spud.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 14, 2019 16:38

Doxa
keithsman

[www.rollingstone.com]

- Doxa

Same here. I found his "Keith playing Keith"-talk (as I used to call it) that also turned "Life" mostly unreadable for me increasingly unbearable for years, but this was indeed something new.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 14, 2019 17:23

I thought he was just making a joke, not turning introspective.
(Last time I dunno, oh no)
Now I’m going to complain
No inner secrets on maintaining his physical stance?
He does ‘nothing’
Big tour millions of bucks
no prep?
No shaking your ya ya’s every night from 8-10 pm weeks before?
No trainers walking you around the park?
Important icon low maintenance.
Just get up and go.
Maybe some wine, maybe not.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 14, 2019 18:04

IanBillen
Charlie says they already did several group sessions all together for this album .. and that was back in November. In his words ....'We did so many bloody sessions for it already and every time we go back in I think....well that was it' (in other words we got it .. we are done with the album) .. and it isn't"....

Charlie said this in November '18? I know he's been vocally and publicly frustrated with the turbulent process in the past ("where's the new album"?), but don't recall the quote above. Must have sailed under my radar...was it the Chad Smith interview? Anyhow, usually it seems Charlie is a man of few words when it comes to the Stones inner workings (he does like to talk about jazz though!), so something must have gotten under his skin. His frustration is understandable though, and at least he's being completely honest vs. Keith who tends to be vague and at times misleading with his mixed messages.

IanBillen
Mate.. they BETTER have a lot of stuff done by now (spanning four years Lol)

Seriously true, but if you condense the amount of time they've actually spent working on this (writing not included), it probably adds up to about three weeks at most give or take. And to think, in that amount of time they could have recorded and released Blue and Lonesome pt.II, pt.III. pt. IV, and maybe even pt. IV. Yet there they are...4 years (or 14 yrs) and counting...

Looking forward to (but not expecting) a new tune prior to the tour, and anything beyond that is still a mystery. 2019 would practically be a miracle given the timeline thus far,
and to release an album in the months AFTER a tour is completed doesn't make much sense. Still thinking 2020...maybe late 2020 to cash in on Christmas sales.

Listened again to Mick's clip of "Really want to talk with you..."...as I did yesterday.
Catchy indeed, and it's sort of grown on me (not really), but.....hard to imagine them playing something like this live, and surely/hopefully it's still in demo form.
It might sound better if the poppy dance pop beat was completely nixed and replaced with a Stonesy reggae vibe, add more bass and drum and some chunky rhythm guitar...slow down the tempo just a bit...add a bit of echo...I can hear it now. I do like the sped up and/or looped little guitar licks from Ronnie, and those should remain as the foundation of the tune. Then an instrumental B-side dub version...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2019 18:48

Somewhere in 2017 Charlie stated he did not like the new songs. Forgot who interviewed him.
Oh well. If its gonna be like Bridges again...there might be 4 good songs on it.
The outtakes will be there in 2048. I will be dead then so who cares.
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 14, 2019 19:43

Hairball
IanBillen
Charlie says they already did several group sessions all together for this album .. and that was back in November. In his words ....'We did so many bloody sessions for it already and every time we go back in I think....well that was it' (in other words we got it .. we are done with the album) .. and it isn't"....

Charlie said this in November '18? I know he's been vocally and publicly frustrated with the turbulent process in the past ("where's the new album"?), but don't recall the quote above. Must have sailed under my radar...was it the Chad Smith interview?

A link to the actual comments would be most helpful.

Chad Smith interview's from 2015.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 14, 2019 20:58

Hairball
IanBillen

Charlie said this in November '18? I know he's been vocally and publicly frustrated with the turbulent process in the past ("where's the new album"?), but don't recall the quote above. Must have sailed under my radar...was it the Chad Smith interview? Anyhow, usually it seems Charlie is a man of few words when it comes to the Stones inner workings (he does like to talk about jazz though!), so something must have gotten under his skin. His frustration is understandable though, and at least he's being completely honest vs. Keith who tends to be vague and at times misleading with his mixed messages.

IanBillen
Mate.. they BETTER have a lot of stuff done by now (spanning four years Lol)

Seriously true, but if you condense the amount of time they've actually spent working on this (writing not included), it probably adds up to about three weeks at most give or take. And to think, in that amount of time they could have recorded and released Blue and Lonesome pt.II, pt.III. pt. IV, and maybe even pt. IV. Yet there they are...4 years (or 14 yrs) and counting...

Looking forward to (but not expecting) a new tune prior to the tour, and anything beyond that is still a mystery. 2019 would practically be a miracle given the timeline thus far,
and to release an album in the months AFTER a tour is completed doesn't make much sense. Still thinking 2020...maybe late 2020 to cash in on Christmas sales.

Listened again to Mick's clip of "Really want to talk with you..."...as I did yesterday.
Catchy indeed, and it's sort of grown on me (not really), but.....hard to imagine them playing something like this live, and surely/hopefully it's still in demo form.
It might sound better if the poppy dance pop beat was completely nixed and replaced with a Stonesy reggae vibe, add more bass and drum and some chunky rhythm guitar...slow down the tempo just a bit...add a bit of echo...I can hear it now. I do like the sped up and/or looped little guitar licks from Ronnie, and those should remain as the foundation of the tune. Then an instrumental B-side dub version...

Yezza.. he definitely said this. Even point's out how many sessions they have been doing and he also pointed out that that Blue & Lonesome was actually the second set of sessions. This was from February of 2018 (a year ago). As of a year ago they has done so many bloody sessions so he doesn't know where it is in his words. See Below:

Comments at 18:25 - 19:00 (listen to 'Charlie' and try to tune the other guys out for this segment).

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 20:59 by IanBillen.

Date: February 14, 2019 23:47

I'm a bit confused Ian as you said Charlie said this in November, but the video you posted is from last year in Feb. '18.
And I remember most of that interview quite well, especially Charlie saying "...so I don't know where the new album is now, do you?" as he looks at Ronnie, and then trails off "we did so many bloody sessions..."
Then Ronnie jumps in quickly with a response of "no we don't" (referring to not knowing where the new album is), and immediately changes the subject to the Grammy award.
However, I don't hear Charlie say "and every time we go back in I think....well that was it, and it isn't". that you mentioned above...maybe that quote was from another interview?

Then immediately after that, it's interesting to hear Charlie say in reference to recording the old blues covers, that Mick doesn't like yesterday - only now and tomorrow - a guy who doesn't like looking back.
Almost as if saying Mick's heart wasn't really into playing the blues covers, but then Ronnie quickly steps in again and says thankfully Mick likes to play the harmonica!
Makes sense as Mick has said he wants to record more "experimental and contemporary" music (dance, pop, etc.) vs. Keith who wants to record "classic sounding Stones" (blues, rock, etc.).

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: February 15, 2019 00:04

My guess is that they have got the guts of an album down and will pick up after the tour (track selection, finishing touches and mixing) with the new album released at end of year.
Don't think anything will be released before then.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 15, 2019 02:24

runrudolph
Somewhere in 2017 Charlie stated he did not like the new songs.

No, this is just Charlie's mumbling. We've already been through that. Charlie says they did three or four sets of sessions for the new album but he doesn't write the songs and thus doesn't have the final say in those things, Mick writes them and Mick has to live with them, so he doesn't know where they are with the new album. The he also says something like everytime they go in[to the studio], he thinks that was that [<-- 3'37", I'm not totally sure what Charlie really says here, somebody out there got better ears?] but the question is not whether he is happy with it, they must be happy with it.

It's here, 2'38" - 3'43" (Charlie talking about the new album):

[www.youtube.com]
(NME interview, published Feb 2nd, 2018)

Hairball
However, I don't hear Charlie say "and every time we go back in I think....well that was it, and it isn't". that you mentioned above...maybe that quote was from another interview?

Probably it's the interview mentioned above (see link), at 3'37" roughly. I must admit I have problems to make out the exact [relevant] words, maybe someone else listen to it again?

Date: February 15, 2019 04:13

Hard to say doitywoik....lets simplify it all and just say Charlie don't know.....

Date: February 15, 2019 04:52

... and he don't really care, it seems winking smiley

Date: February 15, 2019 05:01

Haha...sounds like they could be lyrics to a yet to be written, recorded, and released new Stones tune on the supposed new album.
Meanwhile, Charlie is listening to his jazz collection because when it comes to the Stones Charlie don't know, and Charlie don't care...smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 15, 2019 05:03

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

According to Keith....everybody in LA with Don Was producing... things must be close to Finnish...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 15, 2019 05:09

keithsman

ROCKMAN

Date: February 15, 2019 05:16

Rip This
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

According to Keith....everybody in LA with Don Was producing... things must be close to Finnish...

Nice to think so after all this time, but Keith goes on to say:

'We'll have it done this year, at some point. We'll put down as much as we can for a week or so, and then we're on the road. So we'll see what happens after that.'

Hoping they accomplished something great while in L.A., and maybe georglicks will eventually give us a hint as to what, if anything, was actually done. thumbs up

Date: February 15, 2019 06:40

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

"The Stones are also about to start recording their new album."

Good news, ain't it: after 14 years of preparation they finally start recording their new album ... tongue sticking out smiley

Hairball
Haha...sounds like they could be lyrics to a yet to be written, recorded, and released new Stones tune on the supposed new album.
Meanwhile, Charlie is listening to his jazz collection because when it comes to the Stones Charlie don't know, and Charlie don't care...smiling smiley

The Continuing Adventures of one Chawlie Watts, Session Drummer for The Rolling Stones

Charlie don’t know
and Charlie don’t care
too much time on his hands
got a session to spare

Charlie’s watching the phone
but the phone, it won’t ring
noone’s calling him up
they don’t tell him a thing

noone would tell him
they’re in need of some noise
move your ass to LA
play some jazz for the boys

Therefore Charlie don’t know
and Charlie don’t care
rather sits in his cars
rather fodders his mare ...
winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-15 06:42 by doitywoik.

Date: February 15, 2019 06:56

The new album will be released In 2019, september, october or november. If they are recording now, I see this release very soon to all, I'm so excited!!

Date: February 15, 2019 07:02

DiegoGlimmerStones
The new album will be released In 2019, september, october or november. If they are recording now, I see this release very soon to all, ...

November 2019 is real soon? This is February ... LOL

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 15, 2019 07:04

Hairball
I'm a bit confused Ian as you said Charlie said this in November, but the video you posted is from last year in Feb. '18.
And I remember most of that interview quite well, especially Charlie saying "...so I don't know where the new album is now, do you?" as he looks at Ronnie, and then trails off "we did so many bloody sessions..."
Then Ronnie jumps in quickly with a response of "no we don't" (referring to not knowing where the new album is), and immediately changes the subject to the Grammy award.

Then immediately after that, it's interesting to hear Charlie say in reference to recording the old blues covers, that Mick doesn't like yesterday - only now and tomorrow - a guy who doesn't like looking back.
Almost as if saying Mick's heart wasn't really into playing the blues covers, but then Ronnie quickly steps in again and says thankfully Mick likes to play the harmonica!
Makes sense as Mick has said he wants to record more "experimental and contemporary" music (dance, pop, etc.) vs. Keith who wants to record "classic sounding Stones" (blues, rock, etc.).

Mr. Hairball, Sa.

Yezz .. Ronnie quickly veers Charlie and the convo to the Grammy's .. definitely can see that. During this interview he said they did so many bloody sessions .. and in an Interview with Ronnie he said he didn't know where the album is .. and every time they go in he thinks .. 'well that was it ... ' .. 'but it isnt' (I am paraphrasing the 'but it isnt' .. but this is what he said.

Point is this .. Charlie says in a few separate Interviews they did a solid handful / several group sessions for this record. That was a year ago.

He also noted on a few separate occasions that the December 2015 session in December that gave birth to Blue and Lonesome was actually the second lot of sessions for the new album (the up coming record). They had actually did a good set of sessions / one group session before that in working on this material.

To sum it up .. they damn well better have pleeeeeenty of material ... and they have had several sessions for this record .. group sessions .. Mick and Keith .. Mick and Ronnie .. Keith and Don Was. This record has been worked up in studios from London .. to New York City .. Now to LA ..over four years. My complaint was there were too many long stretches in between with them doing everything under the sun (I still very much feel that way ... but I cannot bitch right now. They are or just did another major chunk of recording . so I'm satisfied .. for now anyway grinning smiley )

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-15 07:06 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...290291292293294295296297298299300...LastNext
Current Page: 295 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home