Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...279280281282283284285286287288289...LastNext
Current Page: 284 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 5, 2019 11:41

wupperstein
I don't believe that Chuck Leawell plays the guitar parts for Keith!

Do you have any evidences for this?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 5, 2019 11:55

retired_dog
mtaylor
Don Was thoughts of new album

[www.instagram.com]

He's either desperately waiting for those long promised three killer riffs to arrive or beginning to realize that at this point, you can't make Stones fans happy no matter how hard you try.

Or both.

He just texted me to tell me what he was really thinking: "Oh no, not another Keith versus Mick discussion on iorr..."
I tried to calm him down with saying that at least it's an efficient way to get to page number 300 with the "new album" thread.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 5, 2019 12:06

matxil
retired_dog
mtaylor
Don Was thoughts of new album

[www.instagram.com]

He's either desperately waiting for those long promised three killer riffs to arrive or beginning to realize that at this point, you can't make Stones fans happy no matter how hard you try.

Or both.

He just texted me to tell me what he was really thinking: "Oh no, not another Keith versus Mick discussion on iorr..."
I tried to calm him down with saying that at least it's an efficient way to get to page number 300 with the "new album" thread.

Apparently he was so happy before he went into the studio.....

[www.instagram.com]

Please, more pictures on Theodora Instagram so we can reach 300+ pages.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 5, 2019 12:11

runrudolph
wupperstein
I don't believe that Chuck Leawell plays the guitar parts for Keith!

Do you have any evidences for this?

Ofcourse this is not true. hs still got a bad day.
jeroen
I said Chuck play some of Keith,s guitarparts on his synth.Typicall on Under my thumb,sympathy and others.I dont like that,i want Keith,s guitar up front

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 5, 2019 13:55

Oh for goodness sake !

The reality is that some arrangements have Chuck tracking/doubling some of Keith's guitar parts to fill out the sound... and some arrangements likely have him playing additional lines that were originally different guitar parts

[...and sometimes no doubt to give Keith the flexibility his onstage laziness & sloppiness require ! ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 14:10 by Spud.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 5, 2019 14:30

Set aside the childish fighting and what do we have?

Some of us pick on Jagger.

Some of us pick on Keith.

Some of us pick on Taylor.

Some of us pick on Ronnie.

Some of us pick on Don Was.

Some of us pick on Chuck.

Some of us pick on Darryl.

I pick on Matt.

Do Chuck or Matt simulate all the guitar parts? No.

Do they simulate some guitar parts? Yes.

Is this typical use for a keyboard in rock concerts? Yes.

Would fans prefer guitars be played by real guitars? Yes.

Is this any different from the sampled harmonica of the past? No.

Is this any different from the sampled percussion they use? No.

Do we take these things too seriously? Yes.

Is Brenda meant to belittle Mick? Yes.

Was a valid point made in belittling Keith by calling him Sophie? Yes.

Out of the four Stones touring is Keith the least consistent? Yes.

Are his weaknesses exaggerated by his toughest critics? Yes.

Are his strengths exaggerated by his adoring fans? Yes.

Is he in amazing shape for his age and what he's put himself through? Yes.

Can we learn to act like adults and be tolerant of one another?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 5, 2019 15:18

This is starting to mirror my workplace. Hey at least I got us a little closer to page 300.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 5, 2019 15:32

Back to thread...there hasn't been a new Stones album released or even announced so far.
Either it will be in 2019 or next year or probably not all.
Anyway...life will go on and I'm waiting patiently...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 5, 2019 15:34

DandelionPowderman
This is why I'm taking another long break from this. I'm getting too old for this crap. Btw, get RoughJusticeOnYa back (someone owes him an apology). IORR needs good posters, not infantile jerks who never will contribute anything.

Have fun, guys, and a GREAT tour.

+ 1

- Doxa

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 5, 2019 16:21

DandelionPowderman
This is why I'm taking another long break from this. I'm getting too old for this crap. Btw, get RoughJusticeOnYa back (someone owes him an apology). IORR needs good posters, not infantile jerks who never will contribute anything.

I hope to see you back soon. Both your opinions as your knowledge about the Stones musically and otherwise are invaluable.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 5, 2019 16:25

matxil
DandelionPowderman

I hope to see you back soon. Both your opinions as your knowledge about the Stones musically and otherwise are invaluable.

smileys with beerhot smileysmoking smiley
jeroen

Posted by: rara ()
Date: February 5, 2019 16:45

harlem shuffle
Do you really think i meant Chuck Berry?I was talking about Chuck Leawell,who,s playing most of the guitar part for Keith,on a synth.Did,nt you hear that on a concert?I think i now enough about The Stones,since i had following Themsen for 50 years.And What,s wrong with nicknames?Why can,t i call Keith Miss Sophie?Since Keith call Jagger Brenda,and his followers her on these slites alsow call him Brenda.So Keith,s nickname would be Miss Sophie

Asle, you gotta breathe and relax. No one here is hating on Mick so just calm down a litte.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 5, 2019 16:53

Rocky Dijon
Set aside the childish fighting and what do we have?

Some of us pick on Jagger.

Some of us pick on Keith.

Some of us pick on Taylor.

Some of us pick on Ronnie.

Some of us pick on Don Was.

Some of us pick on Chuck.

Some of us pick on Darryl.

I pick on Matt.

Do Chuck or Matt simulate all the guitar parts? No.

Do they simulate some guitar parts? Yes.

Is this typical use for a keyboard in rock concerts? Yes.

Would fans prefer guitars be played by real guitars? Yes.

Is this any different from the sampled harmonica of the past? No.

Is this any different from the sampled percussion they use? No.

Do we take these things too seriously? Yes.

Is Brenda meant to belittle Mick? Yes.

Was a valid point made in belittling Keith by calling him Sophie? Yes.

Out of the four Stones touring is Keith the least consistent? Yes.

Are his weaknesses exaggerated by his toughest critics? Yes.

Are his strengths exaggerated by his adoring fans? Yes.

Is he in amazing shape for his age and what he's put himself through? Yes.

Can we learn to act like adults and be tolerant of one another?

Being a fan, even a passionate fan is basically nothing wrong. It becomes problematic when it turns into a substitute religion where facts are overshadowed by faith and just like any other religion tend to divide people instead of bringing them together. So as much as I welcome your voice of reason here, Rocky, I fear that you're fighting a lost battle.

Date: February 5, 2019 17:04

rara
harlem shuffle
Do you really think i meant Chuck Berry?I was talking about Chuck Leawell,who,s playing most of the guitar part for Keith,on a synth.Did,nt you hear that on a concert?I think i now enough about The Stones,since i had following Themsen for 50 years.And What,s wrong with nicknames?Why can,t i call Keith Miss Sophie?Since Keith call Jagger Brenda,and his followers her on these slites alsow call him Brenda.So Keith,s nickname would be Miss Sophie

Asle, you gotta breathe and relax. No one here is hating on Mick so just calm down a litte.
Well im gonna stop this childisness,hope the others alsow stop their bullshit talks.So better go back to the reel topic instead

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 5, 2019 17:05

rara
harlem shuffle

You maybe ought to address his counterparts on the latest pages of this thread at least as much as harlem shuffle. If not, you yourself become part of the comparative onesidedness lately in this thread, I think, quite often even quite unkind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-05 17:07 by Witness.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 5, 2019 17:18

Sometimes I wonder if The Stones read all this and scratch their heads. We're something else. Shouldn't Take It Take It So Hard and IORR But I Like It, comes to mind. Back on subject I believe the new album will be out around tour time, for what it's worth. Cheers everyone!

Date: February 5, 2019 17:23

frankotero
Sometimes I wonder if The Stones read all this and scratch their heads. We're something else. Shouldn't Take It Take It So Hard and IORR But I Like It, comes to mind. Back on subject I believe the new album will be out around tour time, for what it's worth. Cheers everyone!
I alsow believe the album comes before the tour start,i think they are finishing the album in mars

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 5, 2019 17:27

Well I hope they give us something cuz we’re all ‘Crackin’ Up’ here myself included most def
Start me up boys with some new tunes
Flowers budding on the apple trees
Springtime is here
Let’s Go!

Date: February 5, 2019 17:33

Really hope for some new rocktunes,some country,blues,ballads.Pretty shore they come with the album in time before the tour started.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2019 20:48

Rockman

And this from just a few years ago....

Keith and Mick

Imagine locking those two in a room forcing them to write some new tunes in harmony like the old days...good chance some of the old magic would happen.

------------------------------------------------------

PS - Why Can't We Be Friends?...a bit of a Stonesy/reggae vibe...maybe they can do a cover of this studio or live. smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2019 20:57

I suppose the hot air Keith and Mick blew about not being like The Beatles when they did the new tracks for FORTY LICKS comes into play when looking at what they've done.

Keith in 2002:
The only difference between us and the Beatles is that we're still going. So, unlike the Beatles' greatest-hits set [1] we felt we had to put on two or three new tracks in a "to be continued" kind of spirit. I didn't want it to be all just nostalgia.

Huh.

They didn't record anything new for MADE IN THE SHADE or TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE or SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES or REWIND or JUMP BACK. Oh right, there were only 2 Beatles hits sets out, the blue and the red ones, both released in 1973.

He also said this though, which makes me laugh about the last, oh, about 14 years:

I don't think people think about whether there's anything left in us. When you cut 28 tracks in a month, there's plenty in there. It's a matter of do you feel like doing it and, at any rate, what's the point of doing it and is there a reason, etc. But, in a way, it's so strange because we really just work like a band. You know, Let's make a record. There's no really sort of great strategy involved in any of this.

[timeisonourside.com]

Mick in 2005 talking about A BIGGER BANG:
If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it.

No one listens to our new records? I guess that's why they pretty much ignore VOODOO and BRIDGES and BANG on the last 6 years of touring because, I dunno, they really didn't sell 2 million copies or whatever?

Keith, meanwhile, continues to show his fantastic skills with math when talking about who came in with what for the album, which, if anyone remembers, is a double album with 16 songs, with 2 left off that were finished:

The ones I laid on (Mick) were Rough Justice, Infamy, and This Place Is Empty. So it's kind of half and half. Mick comes in far more prepared than I do.

Of course, there was the usual mysticism from Keith:

It's probably the closest that Mick and I have worked together since EXILE ON MAIN STREET. Which says it all.

Says it all. Does anyone know what "it" is?

Then there's the bickering, which, history has shown, when Mick says something you know it's true. Keith, on the other hand...

Mick in 2005:
We did this record with minimal technology, just suitcases of computers. I didn't want to go into a massive glass-and-stone $10 million studio with all the bells and whistles. All that technology can change the way you play. We pared it down, and the intimacy worked.

Keith on recording A BIGGER BANG in Mick's house:
You can make a record anywhere now. The studio isn't so important. In fact, we don't use studios. We just find a good room that's handy for everyone to get to. Most of this album was done at Mick's house in France. The machinery was inside the room with us. The producer, Don Was, and the engineer - they were in the room with us. So you get rid of that glass barrier between the studio and control room, which can be enormous at times. I know from all those years of working in huge studios. You do your thing in the studio, then you go into the control room for a playback and you're on another planet. They're not getting it in there! So it's much better to do it with the recorders actually in the room, and you can do that these days. The equipment is smaller. You can separate things easier without having to put big booths around them. We just played in a small room for most of this album.

Somehow that changed a few years later in Keith's book...
Only Mick still thinks you have to take things into "real" recording studios to really make a real record. He got proved totally wrong on our latest - at the time of writing - album, A Bigger Bang, especially, because we did it all in his little château in France. We had got the stuff worked up, and he said, Now we'll take it into a real recording studio. And Don Was and I looked at each other, and Charlie looked at me... @#$%& this shit. We've already got it down right here. Why do you want to spring for all that bread? So you can say it was cut in so-and-so studio, the glass wall and the control room? We ain't going nowhere, pal. So finally he relented.

It's highly unlikely that Mick said that. He would admit it. He has no problem talking about whatever:

It was a better vibe than last time but you never know why that is. We weren't only in my house in France but wherever we were, yes it was (kept simple). We were in places where there wasn't a lot of distraction. And there wasn't a lot of sort of hangers on and all that sort of thing. If you record in the studio in L.A., for instance, like we'd done before in the past, you do get a lot of distractions and you do get a lot of hangers on. So there wasn't any distraction, so we just got on and did what we did with this small group of people and we were very focused.

So it's no wonder they haven't done anything. BLUE AND LONESOME was an agreement. They all agreed on those tunes - it took them not even a week to record them because they couldn't agree on the originals they were recording. For some reason it took a year for those tunes to be released but at least it was something.

Mick doesn't want to spend months in a studio jamming to come up with songs like Keith does, he wants things ready to go and get done. Keith prefers to have everything simmer while he plays the same riff over and over for weeks to find something in it.

Those days have been long gone with the Stones.

One can read all that above and not wonder why they haven't recorded a new record in years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-06 18:15 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 5, 2019 21:17

Nice post gaslight. thumbs up

"If you record in the studio in L.A., for instance, like we'd done before in the past, you do get a lot of distractions and you do get a lot of hangers on" - Mick

Which begs the question, what has become of the supposed studio work in L.A. that Keith and Ronnie hinted at?
Wondering if all key members were/are present? Mick and Charlie? Maybe they're in the thick of it right now?
If so, are they being distracted with lots of hangers on as was the case in the past?

Weather is finally clearing up in the area w/some light sporadic sprinkles after a week or so of off and on rain with some of it heavy at times.
Forecast says partly cloudy w/sunny skies starting tomorrow which means lots of things to get distracted by - hope they get something accomplished!thumbs up

Posted by: mg72 ()
Date: February 6, 2019 06:55

Maybe something this spring/summer.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 6, 2019 07:27

Anyone seen the movie Stan and Ollie? Reminds me a bit of Mick and Keith. It's very good, by the way.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 6, 2019 11:52

TeddyB1018
Anyone seen the movie Stan and Ollie? Reminds me a bit of Mick and Keith. It's very good, by the way.

Yeah i thought the same thing, brilliant film, similar to the Glimmers in the way they keep going on the road because what else can they do.
Also the brake up in their relationship and career for 16 years because Stan felt hurt that Ollie made a film on his own had similarities.
Thought Steve Coogan was so good as Stan, genius.

Posted by: Degsy ()
Date: February 6, 2019 12:29

Anybody seen this? Thoughts?
[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 6, 2019 13:25

TeddyB1018

Yes, getting very good reviews in the UK.
Coogan seems to be developing.oping into a very good actor.

Actually The Stones at times resemble the Marx Brothers:

Bill would be Zeppo, the straight man, left early on
Charlie would be Harpo, very stable marriage, modest and low key
Ronnie would be Chico who lived well and spent more than he earned
Mick, probably Groucho, who was de facto leader. (And also had a late fling with a girl 50 years his junior)
Keith, a mix of Groucho and Chico.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 6, 2019 13:45

Talking of 50 + year age gaps, i see Micks ex out and about with Clint Eastward, platonic of course but this must make Mick feel positively young grinning smiley
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 6, 2019 14:04

keithsman
Talking of 50 + year age gaps, i see Micks ex out and about with Clint Eastward, platonic of course but this must make Mick feel positively young grinning smiley
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Methinks Clint has had a facelift.
Unfortunately he can't do anything about his neck and hands (see photos).
Bizarre results.

Mick's tweet
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: February 5, 2019 05:44

[mobile.twitter.com]

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...279280281282283284285286287288289...LastNext
Current Page: 284 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50