Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...282283284285286287288289290291292...LastNext
Current Page: 287 of 704
Re: New Stones album for 2019?
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 8, 2019 09:24

georgelicks
Not producing an album of originals in 12,13,14 years is bad enough .. but when they have a contract for one .. they tell us one is coming .. yet they are doing everything BUT working on it is where the frustration actually came from ... from me and some others ... yeeesh hehe

- Virgin's record contract from November 1991 asked for 3 albums with no deadline on it and re-issue of the post 1971 stuff. The contract was for $45 million.

- First new album was Voodoo Lounge, almost 3 years after the signed contract. Second one was B2B and the third one ABB, 14 years after the original contract. It took them 14 years to close that contract, and that was 15 years ago when albums were still important and the band was still active.

Now we have a modest $2 million contract for one album signed on 2017 (oh the long lost days of the $28 or $45 million contracts from the 80's or 90's...) and everyone at Universal knows that the Stones are semi-retired, so if it takes them 3, 4 or 5 years to deliver that album it wont surprise anyone except some fans thinking that we are still on an era when albums are still important, let alone for an artist with all his members on their mid-70's.

An album is an option, and not the main one by anyone, so we're now on contracts for $2-3 million for each album when 20-30 years ago that contract was for $7-10 million for each album for a top act, no act is rushed to release an album anymore, this decade best selling artist, Adele, released 2 albums in almost 11 years.

Back on the Stones, they want this album to be a great one, they don't want another ABB with a bunch of Stones by numbers rockers, the want a B2B type album again, a mix of classic and modern, something fresh, and it will take all the time that it needs, Mick said it 2 years ago: "We'll keep working on it until we do it right".

All the options are on the table: A christmas release, ticket bundle during another leg of a new tour on 2020, a preview EP with 3-4 songs on 2019 and then the full album on 2020, etc.

I'm not counting the years of 1991 or 1994. That was then ... this is now. Besides .. five years between albums is a heck of alot sooner than 13 or 14 .. ... As well it was a completely different market then .. (as you very much know). People take out album contracts now and deliver them not too terribly long afterward .. If The Stones are still a working band and have any sort of contract .. they should not be given any slack.

We can talk about the reasons why they never delivered an album until the cows come home. They were (or are .. whichever) the biggest band on the planet. They could of made an album if they wanted to. They simply didn't. Other big name acts made several. Too many excuses and passes are given to The Stones .. I don't buy it. Never will. If they wanted to put out an album .. nothing would of held them back.

They were A. lazy recording wise .. or B. uninspired .. or C. Couldn't get on the same page with each-other.

Possibly all three? Point is this .. we can talk numbers... or previous contracts all day and night but one fact still remains ...they didn't make an album of originals in 13 years ...(and every other big name or older act has .. Some have made several) and that due to nobody else's neglect but their own.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 09:39 by IanBillen.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 8, 2019 10:03

mg72
13 & 14 years are two really common breaks of original material as are 15 and 16.
James Taylor: 2002. No original material again until 2015.
Sting: 2003. No non concept original material again until 2016.
Alabama: 2001 no original material again until 2015.
Don Henley: studio album in 2000. Not again until 2015.
The Who: 2006 not again until 2019. One single was done for the 50th anniversary.

But Henley took up his time with the Eagles, i.e their tours, and Long Road Out of Eden. He also did an unreleased country classics album, of which some tracks appear on Cass County.

The Who - again, Pete Townshend did the Classical Quadrophenia with Alfie Boe, and Rachel Fuller. Roger has done a great collaboration with Wilko Johnson, and a solo album last year.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 8, 2019 10:09

Re; my reply to mg72 - I wish to expand a little.

What I was implying is that Henley, Daltry, and Townshend have not been lazy. Granted some of these albums / tours are trading on past glories, but Mick seems reluctant since SuperHeavy to release, in bulk, either a solo album, or a Stones album, of fresh material. There was the single, England Lost, but that seemed to be diminishing returns.

On the other hand, Keith and Steve Jordan created Crosseyed Heart, but I'm mindful that some of that album may have been tracks languishing in the archive, and not fresh product. I wonder when it was really recorded ?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 8, 2019 10:24

the recorded songs will all get released one day...
Jeroen

Date: February 8, 2019 12:49

georgelicks
Not producing an album of originals in 12,13,14 years is bad enough .. but when they have a contract for one .. they tell us one is coming .. yet they are doing everything BUT working on it is where the frustration actually came from ... from me and some others ... yeeesh hehe

- Virgin's record contract from November 1991 asked for 3 albums with no deadline on it and re-issue of the post 1971 stuff. The contract was for $45 million.

- First new album was Voodoo Lounge, almost 3 years after the signed contract. Second one was B2B and the third one ABB, 14 years after the original contract. It took them 14 years to close that contract, and that was 15 years ago when albums were still important and the band was still active.

Now we have a modest $2 million contract for one album signed on 2017 (oh the long lost days of the $28 or $45 million contracts from the 80's or 90's...) and everyone at Universal knows that the Stones are semi-retired, so if it takes them 3, 4 or 5 years to deliver that album it wont surprise anyone except some fans thinking that we are still on an era when albums are still important, let alone for an artist with all his members on their mid-70's.

An album is an option, and not the main one by anyone, so we're now on contracts for $2-3 million for each album when 20-30 years ago that contract was for $7-10 million for each album for a top act, no act is rushed to release an album anymore, this decade best selling artist, Adele, released 2 albums in almost 11 years.

Back on the Stones, they want this album to be a great one, they don't want another ABB with a bunch of Stones by numbers rockers, the want a B2B type album again, a mix of classic and modern, something fresh, and it will take all the time that it needs, Mick said it 2 years ago: "We'll keep working on it until we do it right".

All the options are on the table: A christmas release, ticket bundle during another leg of a new tour on 2020, a preview EP with 3-4 songs on 2019 and then the full album on 2020, etc.

Thanks for the update, Georgelicks
jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 8, 2019 13:21

Thanks (aka Batman). Nice that the band felt the urge to meet in LA. Hoping the preview EP pops up...thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 8, 2019 13:54

mg72
2019 is shaping up for icons releasing new music.
ACDC
Gordon Lightfoot: First since 2004.
Possible Guns N Roses: First since 2008.
Hootie and the Blowfish
The Rolling Stones.
The Who: first since 2006.

Some might like them, but I cannot cop that Hootie and the Blowfish are icons

Rod

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 8, 2019 14:59

Rocky’s post from the other day is the big news....how sad that these guys have been holding grudges/agendas against each other for nearly 20 years...I guess the good news is that they are working through the problems and maybe we’ll get something better than the last few efforts...great insight. Thanks for posting that Rocky!

Date: February 8, 2019 15:14

Are the Stones still in LA??
Jeroen

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 8, 2019 15:25

Rip This
Rocky’s post from the other day is the big news....how sad that these guys have been holding grudges/agendas against each other for nearly 20 years...I guess the good news is that they are working through the problems and maybe we’ll get something better than the last few efforts...great insight. Thanks for posting that Rocky!

Trouble is they've long now been too old and ugly to be locked in a room and told not come out until they have some songs.grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 8, 2019 15:47

tomcasagranda
On the other hand, Keith and Steve Jordan created Crosseyed Heart, but I'm mindful that some of that album may have been tracks languishing in the archive, and not fresh product. I wonder when it was really recorded ?

CROSSEYED HEART was recorded between 2011 and 2013 with mixing and overdubbing in 2014. A lot of the songs had their origins in older material that Keith had worked up mainly from 2000-2002, but some of it started in 1996. They weren't the same songs with the same titles. It's a bit like recognizing heritage. If you hear "Blood Red Wine" and think it's "Winter" or "Cried Out" and think it's "Laugh, I Nearly Died." Some people hear "Just Because" and call it "Trouble." They're not the same songs. Maybe bits carried through, but the finished music and lyrics were not written prior to 2011 (in the case of CROSSEYED HEART).

Instead of forgetting about these unrealized ideas, the threads were picked up and the creative process continued and the result is something new. I suspect that's what's happened with the new Stones album if what I was told was correct. The majority of the material goes back to 2011, but it has kept developing and evolving until the finished product will not be very close to what Mick started with. Right now they're Jagger-Richard-izing them and surgically removing the Clifford DNA, or at least burying it further. This isn't a bad thing. A Stones album should be Jagger-Richards and not just in name only. However they can collaborate fruitfully, they should.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 8, 2019 15:56

Rocky Dijon
... However they can collaborate fruitfully, they should.

Quite so .

Because, at their age, life definitely is to short .

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: February 8, 2019 16:33

'It must be hell' on undercover starts out with Sole Survivor riff, goes into HTW riff and ends with Sole Survivor

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 8, 2019 18:50

This is like rooting for your favorite football team that happens to be in a slump, and their glory days are far behind them.
They haven't had a really big win in ages, but most of the fans' loyalty to the team is apparent through thick and thin,
And while the fan base gets smaller each passing year, many jump back on the band wagon when there's something to actually cheer about.
It gets frustrating for some of the diehards, but to see the legends still out on the field trying their best makes it somewhat worthwhile - win or lose.

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 8, 2019 21:35

runrudolph
Jeroen

Darryl seems to be in Chicago

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 8, 2019 21:50

Yes the Stones are still in L.A. recording.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 8, 2019 22:07

Have there been ANY sightings of Mick?

Date: February 8, 2019 22:17

z
runrudolph
Jeroen

darryll is not a Stone
Jeroen

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 8, 2019 22:24

runrudolph
z
runrudolph
Jeroen

darryll is not a Stone
Jeroen

He is their bassist since 25 years back. If the band is rehearsing/recording he should be there.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 8, 2019 23:28

chatoyancy

I saw a photo of Charlie at a party for Hal Blaine a couple of days ago.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 9, 2019 00:28

chatoyancy

Thanks Chatoyancy!!
Do you know if they're working on some outtakes?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 9, 2019 00:56

Rocky's info on the new stuff sounds good to me. I was going to type up the backstory of Crosseyed Heart but no need when Mr. Dijon is around.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 9, 2019 01:02

Stoneage
runrudolph
z
runrudolph
Jeroen

darryll is not a Stone
Jeroen

He is their bassist since 25 years back. If the band is rehearsing/recording he should be there.

They have recorded since Darryl's joining with different people on bass. When I watched them record at Ocean Way for Bridges to Babylon, no one was playing bass. Maybe Don is filling in, or Ronnie.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: February 9, 2019 07:34

Keith plays bass uncredited sometimes.

Date: February 9, 2019 09:55

TeddyB1018
Rocky's info on the new stuff sounds good to me. I was going to type up the backstory of Crosseyed Heart but no need when Mr. Dijon is around.

Hi Teddy! What about "One More Shot" solo version? Imo it could have been the first single of CH and i feel it's far superior to Stones version!!
[www.wsj.com]

Date: February 9, 2019 10:24

Stoneage
runrudolph
z
runrudolph
Jeroen

darryll is not a Stone
Jeroen

Both ronnie and keef can play the bass.
jeroen

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 9, 2019 10:53

We should somehow make a weekly summary from Rocky/Teddy/Soldatti with the actual info.

[*] Recording in LA as of February 9th
    [*] A lot of older Mick/Matt Clifford Material as source material
    [*] Transformation from Mick/Matt --> Stones DNA
    [*] Old outtakes are being worked on and considered as well
    [*] Effort to make the album more than a by-the-numbers later day Stones album
    [*] Release date or release format not yet defined and not considered important due to decreased relevance of album releases in general and Stones releases specifically

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 12:41 by Lorenz.

Date: February 9, 2019 10:54

chatoyancy
Keith plays bass uncredited sometimes.

...on which songs?! winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2019 10:59

KRiffhard
TeddyB1018

Hi Teddy! What about "One More Shot" solo version? Imo it could have been the first single of CH and i feel it's far superior to Stones version!!
[www.wsj.com]

Subscription required...
I'm assuming your basing your opinion on what Steve Jordan had to say (I recall him saying Keith's version is much better), but as far as I know it's never been leaked?
Whatever the case, I have a feeling it would be far superior to the Stones version also based on the rest of Crosseyed Heart - best Stones related album in decades!

Date: February 9, 2019 11:04

Lorenz
We should somehow make a weekly summary from Rocky/Teddy/Soldatti with the actual info.

[*] Recording in LA as of February 9th
    [*] A lot of older Mick/Matt Clifford Material as source material
    [*] Transformation from Mick/Matt --> Stones DNA
    [*] Effort to make the album more than a by-the-numbers later day Stones album
    [*] Release date or release format not yet defined and not considered important due to decreased relevance of album releases in general and Stones releases specifically

Perfect summary thumbs up thumbs up
Only thing missing it's they're working on a bunch of old outtakes too! Am i right Rocky?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-09 11:15 by KRiffhard.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...282283284285286287288289290291292...LastNext
Current Page: 287 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home