Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why did they pick Charlie (and Mr Donkey) on the cover of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 27, 2016 15:30

Subtle Stones politics?

Bill could have befriend with the donkey too.

By the way, any one familiar with the Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out's donkey? From which place was coming this four-legged lad? Did he (or his owner) got some royalties?

Re: Why did they pick Charlie (and Mr Donkey) on the cover of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 27, 2016 15:49

Good question. Maybe it boils down to Charlie likes horses, donkeys are nearly horses, right. Anyhow, very iconic picture. Definitely in my top 5 favorite Stones album covers.

Re: Why did they pick Charlie (and Mr Donkey) on the cover of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: November 27, 2016 16:46

I love the Ya-Ya's cover. Charlie with Mick's hat, the guitar and drums on the donkey. Ready to hit the road.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 27, 2016 16:47

Some say it refers to Visions Of Johanna.
?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 17:11 by z.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 27, 2016 17:35

z
?

Apparently referring to this line:

"Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule
But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel"

I remain to be convinced.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: November 27, 2016 19:07

The Joker
Subtle Stones politics?

Bill could have befriend with the donkey too.

You know Bill's reputation. A hole and some hair around and Katastroph. They didn't took the risk! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 27, 2016 19:23

Probably because Mick and Charlie like working together. Charlie is interested in design issues like stage design and album covers, and him and Mick click together personally.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 27, 2016 19:36

wonderboy
Probably because Mick and Charlie like working together. Charlie is interested in design issues like stage design and album covers, and him and Mick click together personally.

I thought Charlie smacked Mick in the face as he didn't like being referred to as 'the drummer'.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 27, 2016 19:37

It was Charlie who needed the donkey for his full drum kit.
In those days the other Stones could easily carry a mic or guitar case and small amp to the next gig...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 19:50 by schillid.

Date: November 27, 2016 19:49

For amps, sometimes the other guys used small luggage carts, like this one.
But Charlie always used the burro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 19:51 by schillid.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 27, 2016 20:15

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2016 20:28

....same here Deltics ..... same here

ROCKMAN

Date: November 27, 2016 20:36

Koen
video: [www.youtube.com]

It looks like a different donkey to me. Apparently this one didn't pass the audition.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 28, 2016 11:02

jlowe
wonderboy

I thought Charlie smacked Mick in the face as he didn't like being referred to as 'the drummer'.

It was "my drummer," and the alleged punchout occurred about 25 years later, during the making of Dirty Work.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2016 11:07

Deltics
z
?

Apparently referring to this line:

"Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule
But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel"

Of course it does. Couldn't be more obvious. The Stones loved Blonde On Blonde. It was the album playing when the cops bust in at Redlands in 67.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 28, 2016 16:07

Was not the original cover, featuring a marijuana cigarette, screwed up?

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 28, 2016 17:50

Wasn't Charlie Is Good Tonight considered as a working title for the live album that became Ya Ya's (or did I dream that)?

N

Date: November 28, 2016 18:08

And the cryptic breasted-tee-shirt...

There was a thread about it... Cannot find it...

Date: November 28, 2016 18:30

nightskyman

I've never heard that, or NeddieFlanders's (love that name!) claim that the working title was Charlie Is Good Tonight, but I've been wrong before.

Date: November 28, 2016 18:54

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
nightskyman

I've never heard that, or NeddieFlanders's (love that name!) claim that the working title was Charlie Is Good Tonight, but I've been wrong before.

I've never heard that about the album title either but Ethan Russell took this as a potential album cover only to have it turned down by Mick because of the joint on the hat's brim.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:59

Deltics
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
nightskyman

I've never heard that about the album title either but Ethan Russell took this as a potential album cover only to have it turned down by Mick because of the joint on the hat's brim.

To me that looks like a cig ,not a doober

Date: November 29, 2016 19:51

TheGreek
Deltics
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
nightskyman

To me that looks like a cig ,not a doober

"In the arranging of items I, along with John Kosh the designer, placed a carefully rolled joint in the brim of Mick's red and white American hat.
...I stood in front of Mick as he gazed at the 8x10 transparency. "Didn't you take one without the joint?" And of course we hadn't ...and the photo was shelved"
Ethan Russell from the deluxe edition of Ya-Yas, 2009.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 29, 2016 19:58

You're all calling it a donkey but it is meant to be a mule as in "jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule", a Bob Dylan lyric from Visions Of Johanna that the album cover visually references.

Date: November 29, 2016 20:03

stewedandkeefed
You're all calling it a donkey but it is meant to be a mule as in "jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule", a Bob Dylan lyric from Visions Of Johanna that the album cover visually references.

But it's a donkey!

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 29, 2016 20:07

z
stewedandkeefed

But it's a donkey!

You are probably correct but the Stones were definitely referencing the Dylan lyric. The "donkey" does have binoculars and jewels around its neck.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 29, 2016 20:32

For me the Dylan reference has always been an odd claim. There's so much going on with that cover that the claim seems spurious at best. People always love to find meanings where they aren't. Is there ever a quote from the Stones to back this up?

As for Ethan Russell's alternate album cover, it is interesting that the Autumn 1970 European tour postcard is present in the lower left hand corner.

Date: November 29, 2016 21:11

jlowe
wonderboy

HIS drummer smiling smiley

Date: November 29, 2016 22:27

z
stewedandkeefed

But it's a donkey!

It's indeed a donkey. Not a mule.

Now, you see it clearly if you compare Charlie's pet (a donkey), to Don Quijote's ( a horse) and Sancho Panza's (a donkey)

Date: November 29, 2016 22:32

ab
jlowe
wonderboy

It was "my drummer," and the alleged punchout occurred about 25 years later, during the making of Dirty Work.

"Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my @#$%& singer." - Charlie Watts

Date: November 29, 2016 22:36

Is that the same as a burro? And is a burrito a small donkey?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home