Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Why did they pick Charlie (and Mr Donkey) on the cover of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2016 22:42

For me the Dylan reference has always been an odd claim. There's so much going on with that cover that the claim seems spurious at best. People always love to find meanings where they aren't. Is there ever a quote from the Stones to back this up?

YEAH Rocky ... dat's da feels I gets about it tooooooooo

ROCKMAN

Re: Why did they pick Charlie (and Mr Donkey) on the cover of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2016 22:46

To me that looks like a cig ,not a doober

... from memories of my dirty filthy basement years I'd go dooooober ....hhhhaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 29, 2016 22:50

But who caught the katy?

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 29, 2016 23:22

Rockman
For me the Dylan reference has always been an odd claim. There's so much going on with that cover that the claim seems spurious at best. People always love to find meanings where they aren't. Is there ever a quote from the Stones to back this up?

YEAH Rocky ... dat's da feels I gets about it tooooooooo

I guess the original concept had nothing to do with Dylan. But since there was a donkey involved, at some point somebody recalled the lyrics of VOJ and brought in the jewels and binoculars.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 30, 2016 00:49

Rockman

... from memories of my dirty filthy basement years I'd go dooooober ....hhhhaaaaaaaa

It's is a joint. I read a story from the photographer saying that mick asked if he had the pic without the joint.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 30, 2016 01:06

schillid
Is that the same as a burro? And is a burrito a small donkey?

Oh my god! I ate a small donkey for dinner last night! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 30, 2016 02:40

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-05 21:47 by schillid.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: November 30, 2016 02:58

The greatest album cover of all time

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 30, 2016 21:07

The filming of the YaYa's cover shoot was hilarious.

Date: November 30, 2016 22:00

Don't ass me. Jackassed but I still don't know

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-30 22:02 by schillid.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 1, 2016 00:00

as eddie murphy once said"ya'll some funny mthrfckers"

i love bob dylan but this is like one of those conversations you have when smoking a joint with people who grew up in the 60's -"you see man.it's a use of dylan imagery,like they brought the donkey and the glasses just like the song ".. as if the stones were thinking about some of dylans word salad when they made the cover of ya ya'a...

here's what the cover is-even thought the little guy is a donkey they are using him for a "pack mule"-the pack mule was used to carry supplies,water, food and whatever was needed for a journey.armies even used them to pull small cannons in the old days.

the stones are using the "pack mule" to travel putting their equipment on his back-the picture is literally taken ON THE ROAD.a happy charlie along side of course.a mule is a cross between a male donkey and a female horse and they are strong as all hell.[once when visiting texas i asked why everyone who had horses had a mule standing around with them.the reason was they protect the horses-they will kick, bite and do everything they can to scare off or even fight off wolves and coyotes.]

this photo began the tradition of the band using images of travelling in anything to due with a tour[blimps,chinese working ladies pointing the way for rv's,planes with eagle talons,flatbed trucks]but it all started with the little donkey playing pack mule with the bands equipment on the road with charlie.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 1, 2016 01:00

Cover never fails to make me smile, Charlie looks so happy. Ironic really because he's the Stone who has always claimed to hate the road.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 03:37

Yes, that was what I was referring to.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 03:39

TheGreek
Deltics
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
nightskyman
Was not the original cover, featuring a marijuana cigarette, screwed up?

I've never heard that, or NeddieFlanders's (love that name!) claim that the working title was Charlie Is Good Tonight, but I've been wrong before.

I've never heard that about the album title either but Ethan Russell took this as a potential album cover only to have it turned down by Mick because of the joint on the hat's brim.

Yes, I was referring to that photo.

Date: December 5, 2016 21:43

Is it an allusion to Charlie's affection for things Equestrian? Or foreshadowing of the zebra appearing years later in the Ride Em On Down video?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-07 16:47 by schillid.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: December 5, 2016 22:15

I think the simple answer to your question is that Mick and Charlie are the only ones who cares about a front cover photo. Keith, Bill and Mick T. probably didn't bother to spend a day off at a closed motorway with a donkey in cold weather.

PS: It was first at the Exhibitionism in London I noticed that Charlie wears a t-shirt with a pair of tits.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 00:17

Koen
video: [www.youtube.com]

It's always struck me as bizarre that the band should go all the way to Birminghsm to film this on a completed but at the time (1970?) not yet open section of the M6 motorway. I know that spot very well and pass it every time I go to my native Scotland, 3-4 times a year. It's now a complete nightmare and full of traffic jams sad smiley

The Brummies on here will know this spot even better than me.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:16

grzegorz67
Koen

It's always struck me as bizarre that the band should go all the way to Birminghsm to film this on a completed but at the time (1970?) not yet open section of the M6 motorway. I know that spot very well and pass it every time I go to my native Scotland, 3-4 times a year. It's now a complete nightmare and full of traffic jams sad smiley

It's actually the Gravelly Hill Interchange aka Spaghetti Junction, construction of which started in 1968 and was finally opened to traffic in May 1972.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 01:17 by Deltics.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 03:12

Deltics
grzegorz67
Koen

It's actually the Gravelly Hill Interchange aka Spaghetti Junction, construction of which started in 1968 and was finally opened to traffic in May 1972.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Indeed, so it is. Thank you Deltics. It seems that there was a delay of a few months prior to opening, so Mick and Charlie took the opportunity to take a donkey there. I recognise the huge railway marshalling yard, which is still there. Not your line though - your beat was the East Coast Mainline grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2016 03:45

TheflyingDutchman
ab
jlowe
wonderboy
Probably because Mick and Charlie like working together. Charlie is interested in design issues like stage design and album covers, and him and Mick click together personally.

I thought Charlie smacked Mick in the face as he didn't like being referred to as 'the drummer'.

It was "my drummer," and the alleged punchout occurred about 25 years later, during the making of Dirty Work.

Charlie was an angry heroin addict.

"Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my @#$%& singer." - Charlie Watts

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 6, 2016 05:53

lem motlow
as eddie murphy once said"ya'll some funny mthrfckers"

i love bob dylan but this is like one of those conversations you have when smoking a joint with people who grew up in the 60's -"you see man.it's a use of dylan imagery,like they brought the donkey and the glasses just like the song ".. as if the stones were thinking about some of dylans word salad when they made the cover of ya ya'a...

here's what the cover is-even thought the little guy is a donkey they are using him for a "pack mule"-the pack mule was used to carry supplies,water, food and whatever was needed for a journey.armies even used them to pull small cannons in the old days.

the stones are using the "pack mule" to travel putting their equipment on his back-the picture is literally taken ON THE ROAD.a happy charlie along side of course.a mule is a cross between a male donkey and a female horse and they are strong as all hell.[once when visiting texas i asked why everyone who had horses had a mule standing around with them.the reason was they protect the horses-they will kick, bite and do everything they can to scare off or even fight off wolves and coyotes.]

this photo began the tradition of the band using images of travelling in anything to due with a tour[blimps,chinese working ladies pointing the way for rv's,planes with eagle talons,flatbed trucks]but it all started with the little donkey playing pack mule with the bands equipment on the road with charlie.

ETA: I meant to say just a 'thank you' to Lem, good read to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 05:55 by 35love.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:06

ab

It was "my drummer," and the alleged punchout occurred about 25 years later, during the making of Dirty Work.

Wasn't it a year before in Amsterdam during one of the band's corporate meeting (or one of their yearly compulsory stay in the Netherland for fiscal reasons...)?

Keef often said that after being punched Mick flew through a window and would have landed in a 'Dam canal if the other guys hadn't managed to hold him by his shirt.
But that could be another Keef fabrication...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 15:09 by dcba.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:20

grzegorz67
Koen

It's always struck me as bizarre that the band should go all the way to Birmingham to film this on a completed but at the time (1970?) not yet open section of the M6 motorway. I know that spot very well and pass it every time I go to my native Scotland, 3-4 times a year. It's now a complete nightmare and full of traffic jams sad smiley

In this interview at approx 10:45, author Joel Selvin claims it was filmed "on a New York pier". Perhaps he confused the album cover's film location with the concert location (NYC).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 1, 2017 15:49

Charlie fresh input about the donkey question....

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 1, 2017 20:53

The Joker
Charlie fresh input about the donkey question....

[www.youtube.com]

Cool, thanks for sharing.

Nice to hear "Take the 'A' Train" as well.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 1, 2017 21:00

Love that Charlie always sports RS gear, and has been so involved in the artistic endeavors of the band.
Also love that he has had his G-daughter Charlotte carry the torch for the tours of today.. big contributions!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2017 22:13

schillid
Is that the same as a burro? And is a burrito a small donkey?

that's what she said.

Date: February 2, 2017 00:50

Burro means donkey. There is other spanish term for Donkey: Asno
Burrito is little donkey.

Mula means Mule. You can equally use "Mula" or "Mulo"

Caballo means Horse
Yegua means Mare

Donkey x Mare = Mulo/Mula
Horse x Mule = Burdégano

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-02 00:50 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 2, 2017 01:17

emotionalbarbecue
Burro means donkey. There is other spanish term for Donkey: Asno
Burrito is little donkey.

Mula means Mule. You can equally use "Mula" or "Mulo"

Caballo means Horse
Yegua means Mare

Donkey x Mare = Mulo/Mula
Horse x Mule = Burdégano

In portuguese as well. thumbs up

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: February 2, 2017 08:28

James Kirk
The greatest album cover of all time
thumbs up
To go with one of the greatest albums of all time

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home