Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 14-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 15, 2016 21:05

The Stones sounded good.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 03:43 by HankM.

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 14-Oct-2016 live show updates
Date: October 15, 2016 21:13

video: [www.youtube.com]

Paint It Black

Date: October 15, 2016 21:14

Tumbling Dice

Date: October 15, 2016 21:15

Tumbling Dice

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 15, 2016 21:16

RipThisBone
video: [youtu.be]

JUST YOUR FOOL!

Keith at 1:05 smoking smiley

Date: October 15, 2016 21:16

[www.youtube.com][/video]
YCAGWYW & Satisfaction

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2016 21:37

A few more thoughts from last night...

Keith played well enough given his age, his health, and being in the dry desert.
The steely eyed look on his face before unleashing some sort of a dilapidated solo on Sympathy was priceless. Same with Midnight Rambler - he was prowling around the stage like a desert demon. He and Ronnie 'weaved' well, and when Keith couldn't finish a blues lick, Ronnie would finish it for him. Sometimes maybe it was intentional 'weaving', and other times it was Ronnie covering for Keith. The opening riff of Honky Tonk Women could have been heard a thousand miles away - it was loud and clear.You Got the Silver - best version I've ever seen live due to his sincere vocals and Ronnie's surprisingly great slide. The opening riff to Little T&A was seemingly concise and on target, but then I noticed Chuck hiding in the shadows and playing along to it on his keyboards in order to embellish Keith's ramshackled guitar playing. Sounded great, but would have preferred a f*cked up raw version with Keith and his guitar alone.

Mick tried to make a joke about all the food choices - to paraphrase: "back in the old days it was a hot dog and a beer" (or maybe he said soda). "Now you have all these choices, with mushrooms being a popular choice" He was referring to magic mushrooms (psilocybin), but the joke seemed to go over most everyone's heads. Not many people were frying on mushrooms as far as I could tell (maybe some of the younger whippersnappers)- but alcohol and weed was in abundance.

Thankfully no Prince cover - would have been a waste of precious setlist time. Mick did mention him though at one point, saying "like Prince used to say...Party!!!" - or something like that.

Micks voice became nasally throughout to the point of being annoying, probably choosing to sing through his snout rather than his mouth in order to prevent the desert dust from infiltrating his throat. I can attest to the dusty atmosphere - when I got back to the hotel room I blew my nose and a cloud of dust billowed out of each of my ears! winking smiley

Date: October 15, 2016 21:52

Koen
RipThisBone
video: [youtu.be]

JUST YOUR FOOL!

Keith at 1:05 smoking smiley

Yes!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:07

So glad to read positive reports and see that they changed up the first half of the setlist a bit. I've only had a chance to see the Just Your Fool video and that was awesome. The Stones would do well to take some cues from how well they did on that tune: Let Keith stick to rhythm, which he can still do well. Keith needs to admit that his soloing days are a thing of the past. Let Ronnie play when a solo is required. I hate seeing Keith embarrass himself the way he does on SFTD these days.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:13

will post report later - I was in love with this show, till then here is my video, enjoy!

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Date: October 15, 2016 22:19

HonkeyTonkFlash
So glad to read positive reports and see that they changed up the first half of the setlist a bit. I've only had a chance to see the Just Your Fool video and that was awesome. The Stones would do well to take some cues from how well they did on that tune: Let Keith stick to rhythm, which he can still do well. Keith needs to admit that his soloing days are a thing of the past. Let Ronnie play when a solo is required. I hate seeing Keith embarrass himself the way he does on SFTD these days.

Perhaps you're on to something, but hopefully that will never happen. If it came down to Ronnie playing 100% of all solos, I'd probably prefer no solos at all.
I'd rather watch Keith play a simple screwed up lick, then watch Ronnie grimace and squeeze out something that's erratic and over the top.
Keith is still playing lead well enough to hold his own for the most part, and Ronnie is there to help 'weave' when necessary.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:23

Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash

Perhaps you're on to something, but hopefully that will never happen. If it came down to Ronnie playing 100% of all solos, I'd probably prefer no solos at all.
I'd rather watch Keith play a simple screwed up lick, then watch Ronnie grimace and squeeze out something that's erratic and over the top.
Keith is still playing lead well enough to hold his own for the most part, and Ronnie is there to help 'weave' when necessary.

I know it will never happen, and I know what you mean about Ronnie. He can be erratic, but when he wants to deliver, he still has the chops, if he would just stop clowning. One thing I used to like about Keith in the old days was that he knew his limitations and didn't try to exceed them. Sadly, that's no longer the case.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:28

Hairball
The opening riff to Little T&A was seemingly concise and on target, but then I noticed Chuck hiding in the shadows and playing along to it on his keyboards in order to embellish Keith's ramshackled guitar playing. Sounded great, but would have preferred a f*cked up raw version with Keith and his guitar alone.
winking smiley

No comment... Just the reality on almost every song.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-15 22:31 by powerage78.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:29

^^^

That is a comment....

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:32

Loved the video Andreea.
[youtu.be]

I really get the feel of how good that first night with Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones must have been to everyone there.

Enjoy the next two nights of fantastic music by really great performers. smileys with beer

Date: October 15, 2016 22:36

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hairball
HonkeyTonkFlash

I know it will never happen, and I know what you mean about Ronnie. He can be erratic, but when he wants to deliver, he still has the chops, if he would just stop clowning. One thing I used to like about Keith in the old days was that he knew his limitations and didn't try to exceed them. Sadly, that's no longer the case.

When the Stones eventually call it a day, Ronnie should form a solo band and he can clown around all he wants - I'm sure it would be good.

Date: October 15, 2016 22:38

Chuck and Matt, 2 keyboards

powerage78
Hairball
The opening riff to Little T&A was seemingly concise and on target, but then I noticed Chuck hiding in the shadows and playing along to it on his keyboards in order to embellish Keith's ramshackled guitar playing. Sounded great, but would have preferred a f*cked up raw version with Keith and his guitar alone.
winking smiley

No comment... Just the reality on almost every song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-15 22:55 by powerage78.

Date: October 15, 2016 22:51

^
And the connection between the pic of Dylan and his Band to what I wrote about Little T&A is?
(apologies if obvious, just a bit groggy due to Desert madness)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 15, 2016 22:53

Hairball
When the Stones eventually call it a day, Ronnie should form a solo band and he can clown around all he wants - I'm sure it would be good.

Actually Ronnie is way more focused when he's touring solo. Which is disturbing since I don't like to see him being a clown with the Stones.

Ronnie is still able of playing great guitar solos, especially when playing blues. As the blues songs are working so well they should play 5-7 songs from the new album in a row instead every show.

Give Ronnie lots of space to solo and maybe invite some special guest blues player, Keith can stay with holding the rhythm.

It's really annoying to see how the show was taken to a different level when they played ''Just Your Fool'', just to see them directly move on to something less intriguing... sad smiley

Date: October 15, 2016 22:57

Pic mistake.

What you tell Hairball is priceless.
Just the true fonction of the keyboards on stage.
THE ULTIMATE TABOO. drinking smiley

Hairball
^
And the connection between the pic of Dylan and his Band to what I wrote about Little T&A is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-15 23:05 by powerage78.

Date: October 15, 2016 23:00

TheBlockbuster
Hairball

Actually Ronnie is way more focused when he's touring solo. Which is disturbing since I don't like to see him being a clown with the Stones.

Ronnie is still able of playing great guitar solos, especially when playing blues. As the blues songs are working so well they should play 5-7 songs from the new album in a row instead every show.

Give Ronnie lots of space to solo and maybe invite some special guest blues player, Keith can stay with holding the rhythm.

It's really annoying to see how he show was taken to a different level when they played ''Just Your Fool'', just to see them directly move on to something less intriguing... sad smiley

Sweet Virginia directly followed 'Just Your Fool' and was truly captivating out in the desert - even the most casual of fans were caught up in it's charm.

But yes it would be GREAT to see 5-7 songs from the new album!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 15, 2016 23:05

zgubi
will post report later - I was in love with this show, till then here is my video, enjoy!

Always love to see your fantastic post Andreea..........................

Date: October 15, 2016 23:10

powerage78
Pic mistake.

What you tell Hairball is priceless.
Just the true fonction of the keyboards on stage.
THE ULTIMATE TABOO. drinking smiley

Hairball
^

Well you didn't have to delete the great pic of Dylan and his band as I wanted to save it in my random Desert Trip folder.
Please re-post...even temporarily - I will grab it ASAP! smileys with beer

Date: October 15, 2016 23:16

It's a BV pic winking smiley

Date: October 15, 2016 23:20

powerage78
It's a BV pic winking smiley

OK - got it.

ps - if you're going to use my quote as your signature, please give credit where credit is due..."Hairball" would suffice. winking smiley

edit - never mind, I see you did! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-15 23:21 by Hairball.

Date: October 15, 2016 23:22

Done winking smiley

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: October 15, 2016 23:25

HMS
What I have seen and heard of them since 2012 makes me think that

-Charlie is as good as ever. Thunder in right hand, lightning in left.

-Ronnie plays better than in 2006/07, 1981/82 and 1994/95.

-Keith plays less but more impressive stuff. He´s still the Riffmaster.
Even the occasional bum notes sound right in their own special way. His intros are often marvelous/better than on records.

-Mick is as good as he was 20 years ago. On stage he sings better than in a studio setting. The live-rendition of "Just your fool" blows the studio version away. He still is the best frontman the world has ever seen - and that's part of what makes Stones concerts great - the fans.

None of them is "struggling".
If they struggle then they must have been struggling ever since the world began. They do NOT struggle.

I don't post here often, but I was there last night and I agree with almost everything above. The Stones were great last night and not struggling. The one point above I would modify is regarding Keith's intros. He did some very well last night and a couple really screwed up. GOOMC was a terrible intro, but Keith's been screwing up some intros for a long time. He's playing better than during ABB (and Ronnie is playing much better than then}, but Keith's probably not as good as when they returned for the five 50 and counting concerts.

I'm looking forward to seeing them next week twice in Vegas. The middle part of the set last night, starting with Little TnA was outstanding, even Miss You, which I don't like that much, but the fans around me loved it - and that's part of what makes Stones concerts great - the fans.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 15, 2016 23:39

IGTBA
HMS
What I have seen and heard of them since 2012 makes me think that

-Charlie is as good as ever. Thunder in right hand, lightning in left.

-Ronnie plays better than in 2006/07, 1981/82 and 1994/95.

-Keith plays less but more impressive stuff. He´s still the Riffmaster.
Even the occasional bum notes sound right in their own special way. His intros are often marvelous/better than on records.

-Mick is as good as he was 20 years ago. On stage he sings better than in a studio setting. The live-rendition of "Just your fool" blows the studio version away. He still is the best frontman the world has ever seen - and that's part of what makes Stones concerts great - the fans.

None of them is "struggling".
If they struggle then they must have been struggling ever since the world began. They do NOT struggle.

I don't post here often, but I was there last night and I agree with almost everything above. The Stones were great last night and not struggling. The one point above I would modify is regarding Keith's intros. He did some very well last night and a couple really screwed up. GOOMC was a terrible intro, but Keith's been screwing up some intros for a long time. He's playing better than during ABB (and Ronnie is playing much better than then}, but Keith's probably not as good as when they returned for the five 50 and counting concerts.

I'm looking forward to seeing them next week twice in Vegas. The middle part of the set last night, starting with Little TnA was outstanding, even Miss You, which I don't like that much, but the fans around me loved it - and that's part of what makes Stones concerts great - the fans.

Indeed, playing is better than ever. Keith is executing those solos better than I've seen him do in decades.

Best show ever.

Date: October 15, 2016 23:43

Since 1969.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 15, 2016 23:49

RaiseTheKnife, powerage78, I sincerely ask: why all the resentment?
I get negative reviews, I get disappointment, I get being let down,
and I get losing money.
But, pretty brutal on and on, like carrying a hard core grudge?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home