Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rival Sons Live at Sentrum Scene, Oslo
Date: March 2, 2017 12:23

A few lines about a (relatively) young rock'n'roll band, trying to carry the torch, which is a hard task indeed.

These Californians are a good band, and they put on a good show. A strong singer (he said he had a cold, but never once was he out of pitch), a great guitar player and a very interesting drummer. The keyboard player and the bassist found their place nicely in the soundscape.

Their music sounds like a blues-based southern mix of funky hard rock, with twists of Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allmans. At the same time, they sound «modern» in a way that's hard to explain. Perhaps it's the use of guitar effects?

The show started out rocking like fvck, and everybody had a great time. After a while, though, it dawned on me that this band didn't have enough great songs to keep it up. As the show proceeded, there were more and more talking, extended guitar solos (with the rest of the band being off stage), drum solos (same here) and bass solos (same here).

None of these musicians were good enough entertainers to carry on by themselves, keeping the audience on their toes.

The dynamics of the show was crap. The climax was during the first half! Then again, the first half was dynamite.

All in all, it was a good night out, with a band I knew very little about (a friend scored me a ticket), and it was a nice acquaintance.

I'm sure many of you know this band way better than me, but I'd say they got great potential, and their quiter stuff was really beautiful (then they sounded like a polished version of the Black Crowes).

Any thoughts on this band? Here are some pics and a video from the Oslo-show:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-02 12:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: OT: Rival Sons Live at Sentrum Scene, Oslo
Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: March 2, 2017 15:03

I first heard (and really enjoyed) their set when I saw them open for Black Sabbath on The End tour just recently, they managed to win over what started as an indifferent crowd for an opening band.

I haven't yet dug fully into their catalogue, but my main impression is they have some killer tracks buried amongst many respectable but mostly forgettable ones.

Re: OT: Rival Sons Live at Sentrum Scene, Oslo
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 4, 2017 12:35

I just discover this band thank to your post.
I have to admit I am really impressed. They are really four talented musicians, they know their roots and deliver original tunes with good songs.
If you look at the comments on the youtube videos it's mainly "how is it possible I did not discover this band before ??".
It's a band to follow me think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home