Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101...LastNext
Current Page: 96 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Date: December 12, 2016 19:28

TheGreek

Blue And Lonesome isn´t "relevant" as it adds nothing new. It has no musical relevance. It´s surprisingly good, in fact a very very good album but they just do what many others have done before. Of course they do it better than most others, but an album of originals as impressive as B&L would have been more "relevant".

After 11 years of not releasing a new album, even the most horrible Stones-album ever would have gone Number One, I guess. So being No.1 does not make it relevant. Nevertheless it´s nice to see that they still can reach a No.1 position.

That Blue And Lonesome isn´t "relevant" (musically) doesn´t matter - it´s still one of the most enjoyable albums they ever released. Like someone else said above, there is nothing to complain about B&L.

So, with that logic, NOT ONE SINGLE PIECE of classical music – when the classics are being interpreted – is relevant? Tell him DP , preach the Book of Blues to the unenlightned

He knows it already, mate thumbs up

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 12, 2016 19:57

Love this album. Great!!!

There´s just one little thing that I wish they would have done differently:

These fast first two singles...in my opinion...is lacking the sound of a real snare drum. Drumsticks on those - just like they play the songs live - would have made it even more enjoyable. When I hear Just your fool on my radio, there´s a brutal wall of guitars - which is fine - but I miss the snare!

But I guess The Rolling Stones wanted the drums to swing and be jazzy and bluesy and all of that! No big deal!

:-D

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 19:59

How dare you mention the snare! Just joking. Both Keith and Charlie aren't as loud on this one, and that is different.

Date: December 12, 2016 20:03

TheGreek
Much ado over a garbage comment of COVERS , Please it's not about darn covers , it's about The Rolling Stones INTERPERTATION of the masterworks from the Blues .Today ,nobody can touch the Glimmer Twins greatness of interperting the BLUES .This album is in a TIME WARP because the Stones traveled back in time and were possesed by all of the legendary Bluesman in order to produce a masterpiece of an album .They sold there soul to the blues right from the begining when Keith and Mick ran into each other on the train tracks when they were kids !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the feeling I have with B&L. It's energetic music. I'm moved by B&L! smileys with beer

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:07

It´s cool Socrates 1. I´m just thinking... ;-)

Date: December 12, 2016 20:11

I know that's why I was just joking.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:37

Hairball
Indeed, and I don't understand why someone who says they didn't like it should be interrogated by someone else...

Several have expressed disappointment. I am calling out one that made 'generic' statements about it, I asked if he's listened more than twice, he ignored that and made the comment that "one must be critical" ... so to me he is one of those types that thinks he/she has to criticize just for the sake of it, and never gave it a shot. Is there not one song that stands out? Nothing to comment on specifically? Really? You really think someone gave this a fair shot and think all tracks are a big dud?

Hate it all you want, people, for all that I care, but if you can't really say why other than to attempt to rain on others' parade, well then yes, I choose to interrogate.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 20:38

I love the new album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 04:44 by LeedsLungs71.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: December 12, 2016 21:03

Does anyone know if the vinyl purchase on amazon should have come with the down load as well. Thanks

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 12, 2016 21:09

Donnebr
Does anyone know if the vinyl purchase on amazon should have come with the down load as well. Thanks

It should do but it doesn't come with a download code, you have to log into your Amazon account and download it from there.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: December 12, 2016 21:43

Thanks. I will try that tonight.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 12, 2016 22:16

With very few significative exceptions (mainly 2 comes to mind: love in vain and in a very basic way IJWTMLTY) this band has never made covers with an intellectual aim to "make it different", on the contrary the band has been born with two guitarists learning by heart the riffs of their heroes. The difference in the stones covers has always been made by their sound itself, distinctive and unrepeatable. That sound, to me, is still alive and relevant though different from the past. And it is because of that sound that I am a rolling stones fan. That sound rings big time in B&L, to the extent that I am baffled that some fans (not critical reviewers) here can't hear it. Sorry for them.

They're records have ceased to be relevant a long time ago and it wont be this or even a new one of originals to change this fact, I am afraid. I certainly hope so, and hope that this success will hint them the direction to take. Not in terms of making other cover collections but in terms of shape songs in the studio and dont give a shit of what is "relevant" outside that studio. If they do so, given their relevant sound, the only difference would be made by the quality of ideas and songwriting. We will see.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 22:39 by maumau.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 12, 2016 22:59

For what its worth, review site METACRITIC scores the album 84/10 (currently)
Compare:
ABB 73/100
SAL 76/100

Date: December 13, 2016 01:00

84/10 must be some kind of a record grinning smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 13, 2016 01:34

great record, but i wish they had picked up some "blues artists" names.

Lightnin' Mick Jagger
Howlin' Keef
Magic Woody
Charlie "Blue" Watts.

other than that, perfect record.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 13, 2016 04:21

Swayed1967

They are the band that made Let It Bleed, Exile, Tattoo You, which puts them in a different place than where they were in 1964. But I can see that some of what I say might be prejudice, and like I said, I definitely will buy the album and listen to it. But from what I've heard of it till now, it's lightyears away from the covers they did in the 60s and early 70s.

I agree. The new album is OK but the fact is we’re listening to Blues covers because their own music is too weak to release. The band that gave us Let it Bleed, Exile and etc. has more or less much admitted this. I can’t seem to get past that...

And what’s so special about Jagger’s vocals or the guitars on B&L as compared to, say, Cook Cook Blues or Fancy Man Blues? IMO, their own blues outtakes stand up to anything on B&L. So yeah, while the new album is better than A Bigger Bang I’m sure come next year I’ll listen to it about as much as I listen to Fancy Man Blues.

The harp-playing is fantastic though. Given the lack of creative juice flowing through this once greatest of all bands somebody should lock Jagger in a studio with nothing but a harp and an acoustic guitar.

Something akin to writer's block. As such, it does not necessarily imply weakness, but heightened quality check in the creative process from wish to achieve something approaching to greatness.

Compared to "Fancy Man's Blues" and "Cook Cook Blues", not wanting to denigrate those, one may feel a greater inspiration and spontanity about many of the songs on BLUE AND LONESOME. Besides, the quality of non-compromise, the Rolling Stones going for a complete album of blues only. That ambition in an era, where blues seems long since to have become a music form of the past. In that situation, an album of blues covers is a vital statement.

One may wonder if the Rolling Stones may inspire other musicians and upcoming bands to play and possibly renew the blues. Hopefully also as ethnic genre music, especially by black musicians reconquering blues as a preferred musical expression.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2016 05:11

The new album is OK but the fact is we’re listening to Blues covers because their own music is too weak to release.

How the hell do you know that?? ... have you heard the tracks that they've been working on ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 07:28

Hairball

While it is a decent album of covers and better than A Bigger Bang (and most/if not all from the past 35 years), that really isn't saying much. Because of the weakness of their own attempts at new music, it seems they've almost thrown in the towel. Along with the blues outtakes you mention being equal (if not better)to the tunes on B&L, I still think Down in the Hole (an original) stands head and shoulders above all of these new covers. While maybe unfair to compare this to their true glory days - Exile, Let it Bleed, etc.,- or even their very early days, it's impossible not to.

Yeah, I played Cook Cook Blues during my workout this morning and it really sizzles. I’m gonna have to take back what I said about their 80s blues outtakes being equal to anything on B&L – Cook Cook Blues (an outtake from the DIRTY WORK sessions no less!) is definitely better, if only because it’s an original tune. Fancy Man Blues also ranks higher due to the originality factor.

After Cook Cook Blues, I played Little Rain. It was OK but I kept hearing Little Red Rooster trying to bust out of it so I decided to play that instead...and it’s a decision I don’t regret.

But I think you’re only half right when you say it’s unfair, but impossible not to, compare their current music to that of their glory days. While you and I and no doubt many others find it impossible this thread (this entire board for that matter) proves that a significant portion of the fan base will go goo goo over anything they release. They’re actually aware that it pales in comparison but they just don’t care – they’ll find something in it that they can rally behind – the energy, the spontaneity, the wailing harp, that signature sound etc. I envy them that actually and in the past was probably among their ranks. I can recall hearing the intro to Rough Justice and thinking the greatest rock n’ roll band in the world was finally back. I really enjoyed A Bigger Bang for at least 3 weeks until I realized how lyrically and musically sterile it was. With B&L, however, I knew I wouldn’t like it that much from the very start just because I wanna hear original tunes. If they had released an album of covers in the 70s there woud’ve been a bigger backlash than when Dylan went electric. I accept that at this stage in their career we have no right to be screaming at them for new material but if you’re looking for someone to gush over stuff they’ve already done better in the past – it ain’t me, babe.

Date: December 13, 2016 07:32

Rockman
The new album is OK but the fact is we’re listening to Blues covers because their own music is too weak to release.

How the hell do you know that?? ... have you heard the tracks that they've been working on ?????

No, I haven’t heard the new tracks and I never will according to Ron Wood who more or less said that they’ll strip the 6 new songs they have in the can for usable riffs and start over. In other words, the current songs are too weak to release. And so we got the blues instead. Hey, it was probably the right decision.

Date: December 13, 2016 07:43

Witness

They are the band that made Let It Bleed, Exile, Tattoo You, which puts them in a different place than where they were in 1964. But I can see that some of what I say might be prejudice, and like I said, I definitely will buy the album and listen to it. But from what I've heard of it till now, it's lightyears away from the covers they did in the 60s and early 70s.

I agree. The new album is OK but the fact is we’re listening to Blues covers because their own music is too weak to release. The band that gave us Let it Bleed, Exile and etc. has more or less much admitted this. I can’t seem to get past that...

And what’s so special about Jagger’s vocals or the guitars on B&L as compared to, say, Cook Cook Blues or Fancy Man Blues? IMO, their own blues outtakes stand up to anything on B&L. So yeah, while the new album is better than A Bigger Bang I’m sure come next year I’ll listen to it about as much as I listen to Fancy Man Blues.

The harp-playing is fantastic though. Given the lack of creative juice flowing through this once greatest of all bands somebody should lock Jagger in a studio with nothing but a harp and an acoustic guitar.

Something akin to writer's block. As such, it does not necessarily imply weakness, but heightened quality check in the creative process from wish to achieve something approaching to greatness.

Compared to "Fancy Man's Blues" and "Cook Cook Blues", not wanting to denigrate those, one may feel a greater inspiration and spontanity about many of the songs on BLUE AND LONESOME. Besides, the quality of non-compromise, the Rolling Stones going for a complete album of blues only. That ambition in an era, where blues seems long since to have become a music form of the past. In that situation, an album of blues covers is a vital statement.

One may wonder if the Rolling Stones may inspire other musicians and upcoming bands to play and possibly renew the blues. Hopefully also as ethnic genre music, especially by black musicians reconquering blues as a preferred musical expression.

I hope you're right...especially about black musicians. Let's all wish upon a star that rap music gives way to the slide guitar.

Date: December 13, 2016 08:44

Cook Cook Blues is not from the DW-sessions. It was recorded in November and December 1982 for the Undercover-sessions.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 10:23

Deltics

It should do but it doesn't come with a download code, you have to log into your Amazon account and download it from there.

Mine came with a "The Sound of Vinyl" Code on a 4"x4" slip of paper inside the sleeve of Sides 1 and 2

Rod

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:36

DandelionPowderman

So, with that logic, NOT ONE SINGLE PIECE of classical music – when the classics are being interpreted – is relevant?

Never thought of it like this, but coming to think of it: yes, reinterpretating the classics is not (musically) relevant. It's good music, but it does not add anything new. Unless it really gives it a new twist, but that hardly ever happens as far as I know.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:41

My only criticism of B&L is the production. Did MJ and bloody Don Was really spend a year getting this overloaded sound.Just your Fool is almost unlistenable . Where are the gaps, the air , the room ?????

Got Live if you Want It EP had better production..............

They should have called Glyn Johns.

sc uk

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 13, 2016 11:49

Even the oldest music is new to someone who hasn't heard it before.

Amd if musicians didn't still play and interperate it...hardly any bugger would ever have heard any of it winking smiley

Date: December 13, 2016 11:51

matxil

So, with that logic, NOT ONE SINGLE PIECE of classical music – when the classics are being interpreted – is relevant?

Never thought of it like this, but coming to think of it: yes, reinterpretating the classics is not (musically) relevant. It's good music, but it does not add anything new. Unless it really gives it a new twist, but that hardly ever happens as far as I know.

If it is performed unbelievably well, it becomes relevant indeed. That's where the discussion is at here, the way I see it smiling smiley

A crap song like In The Army Now with Status Quo became a european hit in 1986. Nobody remembered that the writers, the Bolland Brothers, had a minor more provincial hit with it four years prior to the Quo-version.

The song was peformed greatly, and clicked with the target group (which was way beyond Status Quo's fan group, btw) - hence the song became relevant.

Is it different with an entire album of covers? Yes and no, I'd say.

For the Stones, this is perhaps the only way to become relevant again, imo. People smile at the thought of seeing Mick Jagger do Satisfaction for the 10.000th time. For most people, this music is fresh - as the Stones were very wise picking their material for BAL. There aren't many classic blues tunes that the general public knows here. The band comes out of this on both feet, revitalised, and ready for new adventures. Hopefully with a self-penned album.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:06

straycatuk
My only criticism of B&L is the production. Did MJ and bloody Don Was really spend a year getting this overloaded sound.Just your Fool is almost unlistenable . Where are the gaps, the air , the room ?????

sc uk

I promised not to citicise the production/mastering on this one [for a change].

Because, whilst I may not agree with it 100%, I respect their decision to go with the old school recording methods.

I do agree though...its a shame we can't hear the room better.
I had hoped that we would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 13:09 by Spud.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 13, 2016 12:34

DandelionPowderman
The band comes out of this on both feet, revitalised, and ready for new adventures. Hopefully with a self-penned album.

I also thought that was the intention. But, as time goes by, how will they keep the momentum?

But it is encouraging that the album sells well. That might be an incentive to get back
to the studio once more, set up the equipment like they did last time, and play with
ideas, they'll have coming from any direction.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 13, 2016 13:18

straycatuk

sc uk

Yes. The only weak side of Blue and Lonesome is mastering.

But it can be to vast extent improved by using Audacity, deamplifying by -3 db and apply Clip Fix at 98 (or 95) per cent, also the results of editing can be saved as 24 bit FLAC (not neccessary). Then it sounds well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 13:19 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: December 13, 2016 13:19

marcovandereijk

The band comes out of this on both feet, revitalised, and ready for new adventures. Hopefully with a self-penned album.

I also thought that was the intention. But, as time goes by, how will they keep the momentum?

But it is encouraging that the album sells well. That might be an incentive to get back
to the studio once more, set up the equipment like they did last time, and play with
ideas, they'll have coming from any direction.

I just came back from the record store in my lunch break. They played the entire Blue & Lonesome there smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...919293949596979899100101...LastNext
Current Page: 96 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home