Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:06

smileys with beer

BLUE AND LONESOME only two weeks away!

Edit: 40 new songs by Mick and 3 new songs by Keith...

With a bit of work by "the boys" next spring all is ready and set for a GREAT new ROLLING STONES album with own compositions.

When a band has 43 songs it's just down to destillate the works to a 12 track album.

Easy... thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 00:10 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:40

I'm not surprised by Mick's input, his last full album on his own was ABB more than 11 years ago, except for a few songs on Superheavy (mostly a group work) and Doom And Gloom.
Why he didn't release a Stones or solo album in all this years is annoying.

Date: November 23, 2016 00:46

georgelicks
I'm not surprised by Mick's input, his last full album on his own was ABB more than 11 years ago, except for a few songs on Superheavy (mostly a group work) and Doom And Gloom.
Why he didn't release a Stones or solo album in all this years is annoying.

Off Topic.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 23, 2016 00:50

Mojo magazine, January 2017

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 23, 2016 01:09

maumau
DandelionPowderman
Both critique and praisal can be done in a peaceful way, though.

We don't HAVE TO agree all the time. Hate to see two brilliant posters argue over peanuts. Good times, brothers, the Stones have albums and a tour coming up smileys with beer

smileys with beer subscribe!

I would add: everyone does not have to be either always positive or always negative. i would say the only thing that remains steady for all is the love for the stones

Agreed. thumbs up

But when someone goes out of their way to quote someone (like a troll would do), and then adds personal jabs ala "Based on pure speculation, jealousy and spite" , they've crossed the lines of a constructive/peaceful conversation and have turned it into a piss match. Certainly a critique against Mick shouldn't be taken as personal insult by a member here, and it's a mystery why someone would be personally offended by it.
Mick's a big boy and doesn't need a baby sitter, but certain cheerleaders will take offense at anything that doesn't fit into their unrealistic fantasy and fairy tale. And so it goes... eye rolling smiley

Cristiano Radtke

Thanks for posting Cristiano. thumbs up
Mostly positive except for paragraph three...hope that part doesn't hurt anyone's feelings around here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 01:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 06:31

Irix
The Rolling Stones - Hate To See You Go - Official Video

Sounds great, gritty and tight, and the two songs I've heard so far have me hopeful. My fear was they'd do the album with the sort of lazy, mushy sound of some of the Voodoo Lounge bluesy B-sides (like Jump on Top of Me and Fancy Man Blues and I'm Gonna Drive, ok, but just ok). But this sounds better, and I'm excited, I hope with good reason.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 23, 2016 06:39

thanx christiano
this is a splendid review, hope to find the competent reviewer is wrong in that he found magic and edge in just 3 tracks (i agrre jyf is predictable)
obviously he is not a clapton fan (neither am i so i am keen to believe him)
their magic on a studio record would be something even if it is only for a small bunch of songs. i am confident there's more and now more than before i am looking forward dec 2
smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 23, 2016 08:37

Cristiano Radtke

Thanks Cristiano!
thumbs up

Date: November 23, 2016 10:15

Cristiano Radtke

Is five stars the best you can get?

Date: November 23, 2016 10:41

DandelionPowderman

I guess, usually it is so. In fact, I find the editor's choice to extract from the review only the praising quotes a little bit deceptive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 10:42 by maumau.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 11:34

From Mojo...."the self proclaimed BIGGEST band in the world"???

Rod

Date: November 23, 2016 11:48

bitusa2012
From Mojo...."the self proclaimed BIGGEST band in the world"???

Greatest, obviously smiling smiley

Date: November 23, 2016 12:33

I love this video!!
hot smiley

Date: November 23, 2016 13:00

so do I!

at 00:29 there's a shot of a track list and above "Blue & Lonesome" and "Hate to see you go" it reads "...me too h..." and "...out of my way". Tracks that did not made the cut I guess. But what songs??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 13:01 by maumau.

Date: November 23, 2016 13:39

From 'Uncut':
"(...) But i think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them" Mick

C'mon Mick, we want only rock'n'roll...possibly more 'roll'!
smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 23, 2016 16:00

Mostly positive except for paragraph three...hope that part doesn't hurt anyone's feelings around here.[/quote]

Pretty lukewarm review, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Paragraph 5 is not kind to Keith, but if the reviewer understood Aaron Neville's My True Story he may understand Keith's role on this album a little better. Looking forward to hearing Little Rain...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 16:01 by Maindefender.

Date: November 23, 2016 16:07

maumau
DandelionPowderman

I guess, usually it is so. In fact, I find the editor's choice to extract from the review only the praising quotes a little bit deceptive.

Yes.

Date: November 23, 2016 16:17

can anyone guess what songs are on the video?

at 00:29 there's a shot of a track list and above "Blue & Lonesome" and "Hate to see you go" it reads "...me too h..." and "...out of my way". Tracks that did not made the cut I guess. But what songs??

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 23, 2016 16:17

That review from Mojo is the perfect example of a rock "journalist" that loves themselves more than they love their profession.

How many big words can I use in my "review" while I float above the world in my own shit-zeppelin? Give me a @#$%& break, man.

I'm now more excited for this release than ever, especially since Paul Trynka used the word 'prosaic' and 'hagiographic'.

edit: I had to look up 'hagiographic' because spell-check wouldn't even recognize it as a real word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 16:35 by Kurt.

Date: November 23, 2016 16:29

maumau

Elmore James' It Hurts me Too, maybe?

Date: November 23, 2016 16:55

Cristiano Radtke
maumau

yep seems likely you got it
and the other one? cant figure it out..

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 23, 2016 17:41

maumau

I can't find anymore info about it, but there's an unpublished 1943 song called "Stay Out of My Way, There'll Be No Trouble".

Anyone know this one???

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 23, 2016 17:46

Out of My Way (by Son Seals??)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 23, 2016 19:16

Kurt
That review from Mojo is the perfect example of a rock "journalist" that loves themselves more than they love their profession.

How many big words can I use in my "review" while I float above the world in my own shit-zeppelin? Give me a @#$%& break, man.

I'm now more excited for this release than ever, especially since Paul Trynka used the word 'prosaic' and 'hagiographic'.

edit: I had to look up 'hagiographic' because spell-check wouldn't even recognize it as a real word.

Funny......thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 23, 2016 20:24

Maindefender
Hairball
Mostly positive except for paragraph three...hope that part doesn't hurt anyone's feelings around here.

Pretty lukewarm review, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Paragraph 5 is not kind to Keith, but if the reviewer understood Aaron Neville's My True Story he may understand Keith's role on this album a little better. Looking forward to hearing Little Rain...

True. Quite lukewarm, but I was trying to focus on the positives. But now that I know it's 3 out of 5 (I thought the criteria was 4 star being the best), it reads a bit more in the negative.
I think Keith's Crosseyed Heart only received 3 stars in the same mag (?), and most here know what a great album that was. I would have given it a 4.5+ and maybe a 5 had it been a few tunes longer.
Just goes to show you can't make an honest personal opinion (or be offended) based on what others have written. Looking forward to hearing it all myself - warts and all - and engaging in the discussions/critiques that follow. thumbs up

*** Even before reading this review, I've been hesitant to want to hear their cover of I Can't Quit You Baby - there's no way it will match the strength and quality of Otis Rush's original version. Zeppelin butchered it once, and don't know if I candle hearing it butchered again. The reviewer says" "Ponderous, over-literal, and so obviously transmutes gold into lead that you wonder how it possibly made the cut". Hopefully this reviewer is full of shit (as alot of them can be), but I have a feeling he might know what he's talking about here. Will wait to listen and judge it for myself, but am in no rush to do so.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 23, 2016 21:19

maumau
Cristiano Radtke
maumau

yep seems likely you got it
and the other one? cant figure it out..

I would love a Stones version of It Hurts Me Too, Mick's singing on the Edwards version is great! As a side note, I have heard a great chuck berry version (can't recall if studio or live, I think he has covered it both ways)

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:06

Maindefender

Pretty lukewarm review, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Paragraph 5 is not kind to Keith, but if the reviewer understood Aaron Neville's My True Story he may understand Keith's role on this album a little better. Looking forward to hearing Little Rain...[/quote]

I don't know, I read it and got excited to hear the album. If there are three songs on it that are magic, as he says, then that is great and all anyone can expect. Three magic, three relative duds and the rest pretty good. I know there are people who have to say every song is great, even before hearing it, but to me that is a pretty good and probably realistic review.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 23, 2016 22:06

Best review ever.
Awesome. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 23, 2016 22:55

Cristiano Radtke

"Keith Richards seems strangely subdued..."

He knows what he has to do.

Date: November 23, 2016 23:26

Maindefender
Kurt

Funny......thumbs up

Funny indeed.

thumbs down "review"...this "journalist" don't know what he/she is talking about.

Edit: hagiographic my ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 23:30 by RipThisBone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home