Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 117
Re: GeorgeLicks: Any idea how Blue & Lonesome is expected to sell?
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:01

It won't be #1 in the U.S for sure:

- The Weeked release their album on Nov. 25 and is expected to sell 450-500k on first week, so with a bad 50-60% drop on week 2 still will be close to 200-250k on Dec. 2

- Bruno Mars has an album out too the previous week, so with his current Top 5 hit he can sell over 300k on week 1 and 100-150k on week 2 and 3 at least.

- Metallica and Miranda Lambert are releasing new albums too, both acts are expected to sell over 150k on week 1 and half of that on week 2.

- Michael Buble release a new album too and he's a big seller on the Christmas season so he will sell around 70-80k during all December.

And then it comes the Stones, they won't sell more than 60-70k during the first week and that's a lot if we see their latest releases since 2008.
A Bigger Bang did sell 128k during the first week on 2005, and that was with a big tour behind, two singles with airplay on mainstream rock radio, TV/press promotion and another sales market.

The BEST prediction, a #4 debut with 70-75k and a total of 150-175k after the Christmas season.

A REALISTIC prediction, a #5-#6 debut with 50-60k and a total of 140-150k after the Christmas season.

A NOT SO OUT OF THIS WORLD prediction, a #7-#9 debut with 40-50k and a total of 100-120k after the Christmas season.

Date: October 29, 2016 22:10

James Kirk
Not that it means much, but the cd is already in Amazon's top 10 a month before it's release date.

Amazon has no relevance on the Billboard sales chart, it's a market for older people, you can be #1 on Amazon and #10 on the main chart.
The current #1 album on Amazon is "A Pentatonix Christmas", it was #1 during the whole week and still is expected to chart around #4 or #5 on next Tuesday's Billboard chart.
Phil Collins' hits album is #7 on Amazon right now, it was on the Top 10 for 3 weeks now and what's his position on the Billboard 200? He's #64

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:30

I think it will sell if it somehow becomes trendy in a Starbucks/NPR kind of way so that boomers buy it as Christmas presents for each other to prove how authentic they are.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:54

georgelicks
It won't be #1 in the U.S for sure:

- The Weeked release their album on Nov. 25 and is expected to sell 450-500k on first week, so with a bad 50-60% drop on week 2 still will be close to 200-250k on Dec. 2

- Bruno Mars has an album out too the previous week, so with his current Top 5 hit he can sell over 300k on week 1 and 100-150k on week 2 and 3 at least.

- Metallica and Miranda Lambert are releasing new albums too, both acts are expected to sell over 150k on week 1 and half of that on week 2.

- Michael Buble release a new album too and he's a big seller on the Christmas season so he will sell around 70-80k during all December.

And then it comes the Stones, they won't sell more than 60-70k during the first week and that's a lot if we see their latest releases since 2008.
A Bigger Bang did sell 128k during the first week on 2005, and that was with a big tour behind, two singles with airplay on mainstream rock radio, TV/press promotion and another sales market.

The BEST prediction, a #4 debut with 70-75k and a total of 150-175k after the Christmas season.

A REALISTIC prediction, a #5-#6 debut with 50-60k and a total of 140-150k after the Christmas season.

A NOT SO OUT OF THIS WORLD prediction, a #7-#9 debut with 40-50k and a total of 100-120k after the Christmas season.

Isn't the release date 12/2?

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:59

georgelicks
James Kirk
Not that it means much, but the cd is already in Amazon's top 10 a month before it's release date.

Amazon has no relevance on the Billboard sales chart, it's a market for older people, you can be #1 on Amazon and #10 on the main chart.
The current #1 album on Amazon is "A Pentatonix Christmas", it was #1 during the whole week and still is expected to chart around #4 or #5 on next Tuesday's Billboard chart.
Phil Collins' hits album is #7 on Amazon right now, it was on the Top 10 for 3 weeks now and what's his position on the Billboard 200? He's #64

It will be number one, even in America, you heard it here first.

Date: October 30, 2016 01:35

Maindefender
Isn't the release date 12/2?

Yep, but you have HUGE albums released on the previous 2 weeks and even with 50% drops each week, these albums will be around 250k (The Weeknd), 100k (Bruno Mars), Metallica, Miranda Lambert, Buble (60-70k).

If the Stones' album is going to sell 50-70k on the week of Dec. 2, they will be around #3-#7 (The Weeknd and Bruno Mars will be #1-2) and let's see if any other album will be released that week, any raper could drop and album with no previous notice.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 30, 2016 03:26

georgelicks

This would be in line with Eric Clapton´s new bluesy album, I Still Do, which debuted at No. 6 with 44,000 units in May. It fell to No. 29 the next week, but outperformed the latest Dylan which went 7-82 in the same period.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 30, 2016 06:57

George Licks ..

Thanks for the insight as always. I have but two questions...

Any idea how their new material is coming along (for the supposed studio album of all original stuff in progress) and have they been working on it?

How is Blue and Lonesome as an album? (I simply can't wait to know.. ha).

- Ian

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: October 30, 2016 07:00

JUST YOUR FOOL - DESERT TRIP 14 OCT 2016

[youtu.be]

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 30, 2016 13:42

James Kirk
Just wondering if you had any idea if Blue & Lonesome is expected to sell well?

It's gonna make Frampton Comes Alive look like child's play.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 30, 2016 15:11

Didn't Keith's album sell about 300k worldwide?
I wonder what sales have to be (allowing for different royalty rates) for them to break even these days.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 30, 2016 15:13

It will be no. 1 at least in Germany, at least if not a Justin Bieberstein album comes between or something like that. Even the boring KR album was no. 2 or 3.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-30 15:24 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: October 30, 2016 18:17

Any idea how their new material is coming along (for the supposed studio album of all original stuff in progress) and have they been working on it?

There's no rush for the new studio album, don't hold your breath, as far I know they have 6-7 new songs recorded and there's no studio time booked for at least the next 3-4 months, it's all about family time after the promo for exhibition.

The new blues album will calm down the expectations for a new original songs album and let's be honest, the world is not dying to hear a new Stones record, we'll see how much the new blues album sell, Universal is expecting 800k - 1m copies worldwide at best.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 30, 2016 18:27

Old acts, like the Rolling Stones, surely must have a high percentage of consumers actually buying the physical product (the album) as opposed to downloading it on net sites?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2016 18:57

This should sell well if everyone on this board buys several copies of each of the available versions...I have mine ordered on CD and Vinyl already...thinking about the deluxe and the download, just to round things out.

This is a team effort everyone!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 30, 2016 19:39

A team effort to make the Rolling Stones even richer?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 30, 2016 22:19

georgelicks

There's no rush for the new studio album, don't hold your breath, as far I know they have 6-7 new songs recorded and there's no studio time booked for at least the next 3-4 months, it's all about family time after the promo for exhibition.

The new blues album will calm down the expectations for a new original songs album and let's be honest, the world is not dying to hear a new Stones record, we'll see how much the new blues album sell, Universal is expecting 800k - 1m copies worldwide at best.

You wrote: 'There's no rush for a new studio album'.

>> .. You can say that again (ha)

However I agree.... a new Blues album will suffice for a little while.. it will hold us over more to the point.

6-7 recorded songs is not that much. They were in the studio in December .. April ... June ... and perhaps in August. Not much progress there?

Hmmmmmm Perhaps 6-7 strong album keepers is might be the gist of it? Hmmm?

Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 30, 2016 22:38

They've been in the studio in December two weeks, in April one week, in June two weeks, and again in July when Keith said to BBC:"The Stones are working on one,yeah at the moment as we speak.We cut a few new things and we're going in the studio again later this year!"
Interest for new Blues album will finish at the end of January, so with studio work in November/early December two weeks and in February/march again other two weeks, new album of originals will be ready for June with the European Tour...
Sometimes here you are too pessimistic...smoking smileythumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2016 22:49

YEAH there'll be an album of new material real sooooooooon

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2016 07:59

mailexile67
They've been in the studio in December two weeks, in April one week, in June two weeks, and again in July when Keith said to BBC:"The Stones are working on one,yeah at the moment as we speak.We cut a few new things and we're going in the studio again later this year!"
Interest for new Blues album will finish at the end of January, so with studio work in November/early December two weeks and in February/march again other two weeks, new album of originals will be ready for June with the European Tour...

Something tells me the interviewer was not interviewing Keith during the recording session. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2016 08:00

This one doesn't seem to have many people revved up as the CROSSEYED HEART thread did.

Funny, innit.

Date: October 31, 2016 09:29

GasLightStreet
This one doesn't seem to have many people revved up as the CROSSEYED HEART thread did.

Funny, innit.

i'll probably get this and get my dad a copy so that's 2 for me. the keith solo album was fresh material and his previous 2 solo albums were amazing. the stones have been hit and miss for a long time and this are retreads of classic blues tunes we've all heard a billion times. I think 1/2 covers and 1/2 new material would have been better and then maybe in 2018 do that again and call it a day as far as recording studio material goes. by that point jagger and Richards will be 75+

Date: October 31, 2016 10:43

GasLightStreet
mailexile67

Something tells me the interviewer was not interviewing Keith during the recording session. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Could also mean that they still were in the process of recording it, even though he wasn't in the studio at the moment?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 31, 2016 13:01

georgelicks

I have a feeling that 6/7 new songs recorded are all Mick's demo...
smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-31 13:04 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 31, 2016 15:43

GasLightStreet

Funny, innit.

We need the whole release!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 31, 2016 16:34

I am incredibly excited for this to come out. I wish they didn't announce anything until 2 weeks before, so that the anticipation/waiting wasn't so long!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 31, 2016 16:46

IanBillen

You wrote: 'There's no rush for a new studio album'.

>> .. You can say that again (ha)

However I agree.... a new Blues album will suffice for a little while.. it will hold us over more to the point.

6-7 recorded songs is not that much. They were in the studio in December .. April ... June ... and perhaps in August. Not much progress there?

Hmmmmmm Perhaps 6-7 strong album keepers is might be the gist of it? Hmmm?[/quote]

Original songs are not a necessity. There's plenty of stuff by other writers (Lucinda Williams, Peter Tosh, Chuck Berry come to mind) they could easily make their own. It would require actually learning and rehearsing the songs however. It could be helluva 14 song album.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 31, 2016 17:33

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

Funny, innit.

i'll probably get this and get my dad a copy so that's 2 for me. the keith solo album was fresh material and his previous 2 solo albums were amazing. the stones have been hit and miss for a long time and this are retreads of classic blues tunes we've all heard a billion times. I think 1/2 covers and 1/2 new material would have been better and then maybe in 2018 do that again and call it a day as far as recording studio material goes. by that point jagger and Richards will be 75+

While this blues album is a welcome addition, I'm not sure how much weight it will hold in the long run as it basically contains'retreads of classic blues tunes' as you say. Crosseyed Heart on the other hand was almost 100% filled with originals, and although not to everyone's liking, at least it was a reflection of the man himself rather than a regurgitation of someone elses work from a bygone era. There is the novelty factor though of this new blues album, but after several listens it would seem almost pointless to hear over and over as the original versions will all more than likely be the superior versions, and all are readily available. It might do some good for the younger and uninitiated to the blues, but there's only so many of those willing to invest time and money into something that's considered 'antique' to them. Most of the kids today are into pop, Taylor Swift, Kanye West, and Justin Bieber, etc. The hardest rock they know is Coldplay, and it's doubtful they want to invest in and listen to any classic rock bands other than The Beatles, and maybe Led Zeppelin. To them, the thought of buying a Stones album filled with blues covers is probably considered 'uncool'. If they want the blues, they'll go directly to the primary sources which in today's world is one click away...why settle for less?

From what I've heard so far, the album will be enjoyable for a few listens, but will be nothing to really sink my teeth in to.
With that said, the live versions I saw were better...teetering, ramshackled, and on the edge.

As for any Stones originals, not holding my breath. As someone else mentioned what they've recorded so far are probably all of Micks demos. Remember he was quoted as saying last year "I've got a bunch of demos I'm excited about and will bring to the band". After recording the blues numbers, the band may have recorded a few overdubs on Micks demos and then became either bored of frustrated with it all, leaving any thought of a new album of originals hanging in limbo. Thankfully they have a huge catalogue to listen to, and when in doubt I always dig out Exile.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 31, 2016 19:11

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

Funny, innit.

While this blues album is a welcome addition, I'm not sure how much weight it will hold in the long run as it basically contains'retreads of classic blues tunes' as you say. Crosseyed Heart on the other hand was almost 100% filled with originals, and although not to everyone's liking, at least it was a reflection of the man himself rather than a regurgitation of someone elses work from a bygone era. There is the novelty factor though of this new blues album, but after several listens it would seem almost pointless to hear over and over as the original versions will all more than likely be the superior versions, and all are readily available. It might do some good for the younger and uninitiated to the blues, but there's only so many of those willing to invest time and money into something that's considered 'antique' to them. Most of the kids today are into pop, Taylor Swift, Kanye West, and Justin Bieber, etc. The hardest rock they know is Coldplay, and it's doubtful they want to invest in and listen to any classic rock bands other than The Beatles, and maybe Led Zeppelin. To them, the thought of buying a Stones album filled with blues covers is probably considered 'uncool'. If they want the blues, they'll go directly to the primary sources which in today's world is one click away...why settle for less?

From what I've heard so far, the album will be enjoyable for a few listens, but will be nothing to really sink my teeth in to.
With that said, the live versions I saw were better...teetering, ramshackled, and on the edge.

As for any Stones originals, not holding my breath. As someone else mentioned what they've recorded so far are probably all of Micks demos. Remember he was quoted as saying last year "I've got a bunch of demos I'm excited about and will bring to the band". After recording the blues numbers, the band may have recorded a few overdubs on Micks demos and then became either bored of frustrated with it all, leaving any thought of a new album of originals hanging in limbo. Thankfully they have a huge catalogue to listen to, and when in doubt I always dig out Exile.

thumbs up

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 31, 2016 20:08

Stoneage
Old acts, like the Rolling Stones, surely must have a high percentage of consumers actually buying the physical product (the album) as opposed to downloading it on net sites?

I think you've got a point there. I mostly listen to music on my phone these days, but even so, buying a download just doesn't feel "real" to me. I was thinking the other day that when this one is released, I will definitely buy it at a record store, and I may well buy the vinyl version just for old times' sake. The last time I bought a Stones LP in a shop was over a quarter century ago, when Steel Wheels came out.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1181
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home