Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
New article on Altmont
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 21, 2016 22:42

Re: New article on Altmont
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 21, 2016 23:05

Geez, this sure makes Mick look bad. Don't know what more to say.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 21, 2016 23:11

Not sure what's new about it. Even the author's bile seems rehashed.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 21, 2016 23:15

The guy has a book to sell.
I wonder what bmuseed has to say about it?
[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 21, 2016 23:35

Altmont was a tragedy of course.
But not unique. Music. Sport. High emotions. Drugs.
The Who concert in Cincinnati. Eleven deaths.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 21, 2016 23:57

Trying to cover the rehash, he refers to the groupie "known as Miss Pamela" with no last name, when relating scapegrace Mick's attempts at a ménage à trois, to cover his tracks that he obviously lifted the episode from Pamela Des Barres's memoir.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:30

Nonsense. They made NOTHING on the tour

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:35

"Needing cash desperately, they announced a first US tour in three years – but there was an outcry over ticket prices."

And nothing has changed since... smoking smiley

Oh, and that picture of Jagger at the bottom in the jumpsuit is from another concert. If an article has such mistakes, I usually take the rest of it with lots of grains of salt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-22 00:40 by Koen.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:39

potus43

Except that I've read in other articles that Mick and his Personal Manager jetted off to Switzerland with £100k in a suitcase. Which was a reasonable profit in 1969.
Not sure what the various tax authorities thought, however.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 22, 2016 02:22

Nothing new there. Joel Selvin churns out books frequently since he was dumped as the SF Chronicle pop music writer, or took a voluntary buy out. He likes the tabloid angle on things.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: August 22, 2016 02:44

marianna
Nothing new there. Joel Selvin churns out books frequently since he was dumped as the SF Chronicle pop music writer, or took a voluntary buy out. He likes the tabloid angle on things.

Joel Selvin was the ghostwriter for Sammy Hagar's revisionist and ludicrously puffed up autobiography, which was filled with blatant lies about how big his solo career was prior to his stint in Van Halen (particularly album sales and tours, such as claiming his A Day on the Green performance as "I sold out Oakland Coliseum") and the reasons why he left the band, even not truly admitting that he quit, after all these years. In addition, his horrible cheap shots at Eddie are disgraceful. I truly hope that his recent overtures at peace, including his recent apology on Oprah's Where Are The Now, are truly heartfelt.

Nonetheless, if Selvin eagerly swallowed and peddled Sammy's rewriting of history, of course he'd seek a tawdry and exploitative account of Altamont to smear Mick.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: August 22, 2016 04:12

I haven't read the book yet and expect to get it this week. Plus I will be at BookSoup for his signing this week.. I see the promo's and the write up in the UK and I can say that some stuff is wrong. I can only recount what I know to be true.
When Joel contacted me to be interviewed, I told him that I am on the final polish of my book and my comments (thoughts) may be slightly limited..They were... When it comes to the things I know..he doesn't. I am not the topic of the book. I look forward to other's stories..

Plus I think it's a bit of a West Coast East Coast thing... ( I always say, "In New York, someone will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge. In California, they will give it to you.."

I am having my book proofread and am preparing for printing...can't wait.
RS

Deltics
The guy has a book to sell.
I wonder what bmuseed has to say about it?
[iorr.org]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 22, 2016 04:24

It's unfair to say they could have used the Stones' helicopter to medivac the stabbing victim. It wasn't likely to be equipped with the attachment for securing a patient. They also would have required having a paramedic and support equipment/supplies. It's just a needless guilt trip.

Yes, they shouldn't have hired the Angels, either, but why were the Dead using them to begin with? They were always skeevy and violent. People from England might not have been familiar with all the details.

Date: August 22, 2016 05:05

Joel's book was the first I ever heard of this and I doubt it. The second we knew someone was stabbed, I ran for the ambulance..a minute later a cop told me not to bother, the guy was dead. and plus everything you said..marianna

marianna
It's unfair to say they could have used the Stones' helicopter to medivac the stabbing victim. It wasn't likely to be equipped with the attachment for securing a patient. They also would have required having a paramedic and support equipment/supplies. It's just a needless guilt trip.

Yes, they shouldn't have hired the Angels, either, but why were the Dead using them to begin with? They were always skeevy and violent. People from England might not have been familiar with all the details.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 22, 2016 05:43

marianna

Except the Hell's Angels were already used in July 69 at the Hyde Park concert. So the question is who was responsible for hiring them for that concert, maybe Sam Cutler? And yes, I understand that the English Angels were less fierce then the California branch, nevertheless, they were still a gang and doing security. For people outside of California in the 60's, the Angels did not have that "reputation"...yet!

Date: August 22, 2016 07:24

That didn't happen..

jlowe
potus43

Except that I've read in other articles that Mick and his Personal Manager jetted off to Switzerland with £100k in a suitcase. Which was a reasonable profit in 1969.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 22, 2016 10:28

2000 LYFH
marianna

Except the Hell's Angels were already used in July 69 at the Hyde Park concert. So the question is who was responsible for hiring them for that concert, maybe Sam Cutler? And yes, I understand that the English Angels were less fierce then the California branch, nevertheless, they were still a gang and doing security. For people outside of California in the 60's, the Angels did not have that "reputation"...yet!

Keith, Bill and Charlie have said in many interviews that the Hell's Angels at Hyde Park was quite innocent and different compared with the proper HA from California. Everything was fine With HA at the Hyde Park gig and they thought the same about HA and Altamont.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 22, 2016 11:46

Got to say I'm relieved to hear about the helicopter story. Too bad people have to do things like this to make money. Sometimes I forget the Stones make a good target for this sort of thing.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 22, 2016 14:07

I could not read the article too well. I was too distracted by the adverts on the website
that lured me into looking at all kinds of body parts by people I do not know, but that
sure had body parts to look at.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 22, 2016 15:43

Sounds like horribly done revisionist history here. Complete crap. Sure the Altamont concert got messy. It was poorly organized and thrown together at the last minute. The blame game always rears its ugly head following situations where things go wrong. All things considered, the Stones played really well in the face of the swirling violence induced by the Hells Angels that took place on and around the absurdly built low stage.

I wouldn't spend a penny on this piece of garbage book.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 22, 2016 16:36

filstan
Sounds like horribly done revisionist history here. Complete crap. Sure the Altamont concert got messy. It was poorly organized and thrown together at the last minute. The blame game always rears its ugly head following situations where things go wrong. All things considered, the Stones played really well in the face of the swirling violence induced by the Hells Angels that took place on and around the absurdly built low stage.

Yeap. If I ran the world you would have to prove everything you put into print or else admit its just speculation.

Another thing I never got about Altamont is so many people knocking Jagger for his actions with the Angels during the concert. I think he did as good as anyone could have in trying to defuse the situation. Alot of people always try to say he looked weak and scared but I don't believe that at all.

Its a weird thing with Jagger the way so many want to cut him down. he is always accused of being jealous of other artists also, like nobody else I have ever seen. But I don't know where that comes from or where anyone gets that from. Jst their speculation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-22 17:29 by stanlove.

Date: August 22, 2016 17:34

stanlove
filstan

Yeap. If I ran the world you would have to prove everything you put into print of else admit its just speculation.

Another thing I never got about Altamont is so many people knocking Jagger for his actions with the Angels during the concert. I think he did as good as anyone could have in trying to defuse the situation. Alot of people always try to say he looked weak and scared but I don't believe that at all.

Oh yea, agreed. What could Mick do apart from what he attempted? It was chaos in front of the stage. Angels dumping their bikes down there, just ridiculous. Both Mick and Keith did their best. Personally, I liked Keith's pissed off lines regarding the Angels beatings. "either those cats cool it man or we don't play!" "look cat, that guy there, if he doesn't stop it!" "Okay man, look we're splitting, you know, If those cats, if you people, we're splitting man if those cats don't stop beatin' everybody up in sight" "I want em out of the way!"

What else could they have done given the chaos? Hey, the boys played their butts off that night in brutal conditions. The Angels there was of course a massive, horrible mistake. Sam Cutler had no clue about what those people were really about. Scully recommending it was imo very much to blame.

Date: August 22, 2016 18:36

It's for the fans! The Rolling Stones care about their fans. ie: The Grateful Dead ran while it was still daylight. The Rolling Stones mounted that stage surrounded by the violence. Keith challenged the Angels. Mick tried to keep the people calm. They only wanted to play their music for the fans and give them a free gift.

No Good deed goes unpunished..
'
PS-we did not hire the Hell's Angels..

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 22, 2016 18:43

jlowe
potus43

That could be I thought I saw something that suggested a LOT more $$$$

Date: August 22, 2016 19:11

Thanks for your input bmuseed. You were eyes on that ground.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 22, 2016 19:42

The Mick looks scared shirtless at several moments in Gimme Shelter and carried on regardless -
which is what I call genuine courage.

Other Stones were probably also visibly scared, but that's less apparent
since the Maysles brothers spent so much time & footage looking at the Mick

Date: August 22, 2016 19:53

Talking Profit! I just looked at the financials I made for the tour... the 1969 tour had a net profit of 57%!! (wonder how that compare to all the other tours) and other than some cash I gave the boys (not $100,000 in cash), was paid to their overseas company via traditional banking wire with IRS approval...
PS--also got Gimme Shelter out of it..smiling smiley

potus43
jlowe
potus43

That could be I thought I saw something that suggested a LOT more $$$$

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 22, 2016 20:08

bmuseed
It's for the fans! The Rolling Stones care about their fans. ie: The Grateful Dead ran while it was still daylight. The Rolling Stones mounted that stage surrounded by the violence. Keith challenged the Angels. Mick tried to keep the people calm. They only wanted to play their music for the fans and give them a free gift.

No Good deed goes unpunished..
'
PS-we did not hire the Hell's Angels..

After Marty (and others in the crowd) got beat up, the Dead thought that the best idea would be not to play and the Stones could come on a few hours earlier and get the whole concert over sooner. But it turned out (as you are well aware of), that the Stones were waiting for the sun to go down to film their set. Phil Lesh said later that the Dead should have gone on (as scheduled) to fill up the time, but added that when the music was being played is when the crowd was rushing the stage and is when thee Angels were pushing back. Of course the Stones had to play, could you image them bailing, the whole place would have gone mad.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 22, 2016 20:43

with sssoul
The Mick looks scared shirtless at several moments in Gimme Shelter and carried on regardless -
which is what I call genuine courage.

Other Stones were probably also visibly scared, but that's less apparent
since the Maysles brothers spent so much time & footage looking at the Mick

The only time I think he looked scared was the first fight during SFTD when the stage was totally out of control. But he right away took the mic and started to calm things down.

The guy who I always think must have been scared but I am sure wouldn't admit it is the Stones body guard. What was he going to do if the Angles did attack any of the Stones?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 22, 2016 21:09

Pretty sure all the band members were afraid, just looking at at that big crowd from such a low stage with just a thin line of questionable security.
Nothing wrong with that - as sssoul said, they showed some real courage in going on and doing the best they could to keep things calm and go on with the show.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home