Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: New article on Altmont
Posted by: slakka ()
Date: August 28, 2016 22:57

wonderboy
Great interview. Reading that back in about 1980 was one of the first things that got me to realizing Keith was one bright man with a lot of things to say. That's a pretty even-handed analysis, imo -- a lot of things went down, a lot of chaos with the crowd, the management of the tour, the Angels being Angels which is a very menacing outfit.
I don't know how much of it was on the Stones; certainly they learned from it. Keith doesn't go into that, because this was still fresh and because he doesn't very often take the rap for most things.
I love that era when rock journalism was a niche thing and fans like me could seek out those things. If an interview like this was posted today it would be all over the internet and so people today eventually stop talking freely.
It's off the Altamont subject, but my favorite bit of this interview is the last bit about the Stones meeting the mayor's daughter in 1966 because she won a prize and hanging out with the mayor and his daughter. It would be a great story to track down that girl and get her memories.

Dear Mr. slakka,
I couldn’t find the quote in the attachment you sent us, but the Rolling Stones only concert in Harrisburg was June 19, 1964 (although they played in nearby Hershey just a few years ago). The obituary for the mayor of Harrisburg in 1964, Dr. William K. McBride, doesn’t mention that he had a daughter.
Ken Frew
Research Librarian
Historical Society of Dauphin County
219 South Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17104
Phone: 717-233-3462
Email: library@dauphincountyhistory.org
Web: www.dauphincountyhistory.org

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 28, 2016 23:26

slakka
wonderboy
Great interview. Reading that back in about 1980 was one of the first things that got me to realizing Keith was one bright man with a lot of things to say. That's a pretty even-handed analysis, imo -- a lot of things went down, a lot of chaos with the crowd, the management of the tour, the Angels being Angels which is a very menacing outfit.
I don't know how much of it was on the Stones; certainly they learned from it. Keith doesn't go into that, because this was still fresh and because he doesn't very often take the rap for most things.
I love that era when rock journalism was a niche thing and fans like me could seek out those things. If an interview like this was posted today it would be all over the internet and so people today eventually stop talking freely.
It's off the Altamont subject, but my favorite bit of this interview is the last bit about the Stones meeting the mayor's daughter in 1966 because she won a prize and hanging out with the mayor and his daughter. It would be a great story to track down that girl and get her memories.

Dear Mr. slakka,
I couldn’t find the quote in the attachment you sent us, but the Rolling Stones only concert in Harrisburg was June 19, 1964 (although they played in nearby Hershey just a few years ago). The obituary for the mayor of Harrisburg in 1964, Dr. William K. McBride, doesn’t mention that he had a daughter.
Ken Frew
Research Librarian
Historical Society of Dauphin County
219 South Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17104
Phone: 717-233-3462
Email: library@dauphincountyhistory.org
Web: www.dauphincountyhistory.org

Maybe Keith meant to say Pittsburgh as they played there on June 25, 1966. I assume Pittsburgh has a "Historical Society"...

Date: August 28, 2016 23:50

2000 LYFH
Keith Richard August 1971 interview by Robert Greenfield. Scans from the book - "The Rolling Stone Interviews Vol. 2" copyright 1973

Fascinating, on pg. 282 Greenfield is asking Keith questions about Jon Jaymes in 1971!

We know Jaymes is long dead. The Booth book sez his assistant was one "Gary Stark"

Who the hell and where the hell is Stark today?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2016 00:32

What a bore!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2016 00:43

Deltics
"The arrogant Stones soon took over planning duties from the smaller local band."
The Grateful Dead? The smaller local band? In California??
Really?

"stung at having missed Woodstock that summer"

"It would also provide the centrepiece of a film, hastily commissioned with just a week of the tour remaining, which Jagger hoped to sneak out before the big-budget Woodstock movie, stealing some of its thunder."

First I've ever heard that any of the Stones were "stung" about not having played Woodstock and the Woodstock movie came out in March 1970 whereas Gimme Shelter was released in December 1970.

So much BS in this article, I think I'll be giving his book a miss.

Hey, you missed one!

Jagger’s evolving plan for the Stones’ world domination

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 29, 2016 01:09

2000 LYFH, thanks for scanning and posting that! I'd read it so long ago in that book, mine has yellowed like yours.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: August 29, 2016 19:08

A taste of things to come:

I went after Chrysler based on my info from Jaymes...

Date: August 29, 2016 20:04

This story is from the April 30th, 1970 issue of Rolling Stone:

SAN FRANCISCO — 21-year-old Hell's Angel has been indicted for the murder of Meredith Hunter at the Rolling Stones' disastrous free concert at Altamont.

Alameda County District Attorney Lowell Jensen announced the March 24th arrest of Alan David Passaro, who was taken into custody at Soledad Prison, where he was already serving a term for grand theft and sale of grass. Jensen said Passaro was out on bail, awaiting trial on those charges, the day of the concert. He has since been transferred to the Alameda County Jail, where he is being held without bail on the murder charge.

Passaro has a long prison record dating back to 1963 in Antioch, when he was arrested for auto theft and sent to Juvenile Hall. He has been arrested six times in the past, four of them resulting in convictions. At the time of his arrest for murder, he was serving time for back-to-back convictions in June and July of 1969 in San Jose.

According to Alameda County Sheriff Lt. James Chisholm and Detective Sergeant Robert Donovan, their three-month investigation included interviews with more than 1000 people. The key evidence, they said, was footage by crews of the Maysles Brothers, who filmed the entire concert for their documentary on the Stones tour. Several crews had the murder on film.

At almost the same time as the Grand Jury indictment. San Francisco attorney Ephraim Margolin, who was representing the Hunter family in a possible lawsuit, pulled out of the case. Allan Brotsky, a member of attorney Charles Garry's law firm, is considering taking on the case for the Hunter family, who have yet to hear a word from the Stones or any of their representatives. (Garry is best known as the Black Panthers' attorney.)

There was some surprise at the indictment. Many say some sort of hands-off deal exists between the Alameda County Sheriffs and the Angels, and the manner in which the investigation dragged on seemed to indicate little was being done by the law. Now, there is speculation that more indictments may come down, since Hunter was brutally stomped before the actual knifing.

The Alameda County Coroner's report on Hunter, the 18-year-old Berkeley black who was one of four to die that dreary December 6th at Altamont Raceway, also confirms that he was beaten as well as stabbed. While the cause of death is listed as shock and hemorrhage due to multiple stab wounds, the report also lists no less than nine head abrasions large enough to be classed as wounds.

There are five stab wounds listed on the back of the body, nine on the head, and two on the neck. (The "wounds" listed on the arms and inside of the elbow are actually needle-marks, consistent with the finding of 1.0 MG% of methamphetamine in the urine and 0.1 MG% of amphetamine in the liver.)

"Shock and hemorrhage" means that blood flowed to one particular part of Hunter's body after he was stabbed, thereby causing what is known as "blood shock," or just "shock." This might not have been fatal but for the fact that the pulmonary artery, the one that supplies blood to the lungs, was severed by one of the stab wounds, thereby causing the hemorrhage. The viciousness of the knifing is best seen in the stab wounds themselves, which ranged from two and three-quarters to four and one-quarter inches in depth.

Forthcoming from Rolling Stone will be a new inquiry into many of the unanswered questions from Altamont. While much of what went on down there is still a mystery, some things have become more clear in the last four months.

Sam Cutler, the Stones' road manager for their American tour, returned to San Francisco two months after Altamont to tell the whole story, as he saw it. There are several things to keep in mind in reading Cutler's comments. The first is that, because he is no longer with the Stones, he isn't acting as their apologist. Also, he was there for the whole tour, for all the wheeling and dealing, including the free concert. So he should know what goes on. Finally, he has his own ass to look out for, too.

"You can say the main threat to the Stones was the Angels. Undoubtedly, there were a few Angels that would have been only too happy to do Jagger – and me – but equally there were a whole bunch of people in the crowd who would have been only too happy to do the same thing. It was such a weird trip. It was a violent, heavy, downer, black trip. Evil," Cutler summarized.

The man Cutler keyed on, however, was John Jaymes, whose role in the Stones' organization had never been made clear – for good reason, as it turned out. Jaymes seemed to be everywhere on the tour, like he was running it single-handed or something. Who is he?

"John Jaymes is a nobody," Cutler says. "He's not the business manager of the Rolling Stones, he never has been and he never will be, though he has been represented that way. John Jaymes is like a crass hustler. I mean, like one comes in and says, Ok, this is what I've got to offer, right, and I'll give it to you, and although I'm not extorting a promise from you to do anything about it, it would be groovy if you could see your way towards doing this, right?

"Well, that's John Jaymes. John Jaymes came on the tour – the reason he came to Los Angeles was because the Chrysler Corporation had managed to have 18 cars for the Stones' use in Los Angeles, which we've lost, man. We couldn't locate. We found three of them or something. We rented 18 different cars and we could find three. So Chrysler sent their public relations man, the You Could Be Dodge Material man, John Jaymes. So this fat, very monstrous, very archetypal American . . . arrives from Young American Enterprises, right? Who – as far as I've been able to establish – own the advertising rights to the fickle finger of fate, Laugh-In – they own all the concessions for Laugh-In. So they sell ten million @#$%& plastic fickle fingers of fate.

"Jaymes is bad karma to boot. From Los Angeles to when we arrive in New York, he builds this incredible kind of trip like The Man Who Can Get Everything Done with a minimal amount of problems. Well, that really wore thin, because in fact it wasn't true. He'd gotten six members of the New York Narcotics Bureau – full members, man. This is John Jaymes' trip: he can get you a bent cop when he wants to. I didn't want bloody narcotics agents from New York with loaded guns standing around behind the Rolling Stones on stage. That's your East Coast Mafia bullshit trip. John Jaymes' partner has just retired from 20 years on the New York Narcotics Bureau. Leave the rest of it up to you. You work it all out. I mean, it's such a @#$%& rotten trip, it's incredible," Cutler said.

Jaymes is a man with connections, then, and it was through these connections that he was able to secure Golden Gate Park in San Francisco for the concert. He struck out. Cutler and Rock Scully of the Dead were in a bind now, because they'd been doing nothing while Jaymes took care of everything. There were no permit applications for the park, so now there was no site for the concert. Then, Cutler recalled, the City came up with three possible sites, all of them owned by the Bank of America, two of them "@#$%& useless." The third, Deer Island near Novato in Marin County, 35 miles north of San Francisco, turned out to be just fine, but the bank was asking for too much bread.

Enter (again) Jaymes and Schneider, who have discovered Sears Point International Raceway. Which, it turns out, is owned by Filmways, which also own Concert Associates; the latter had presented the Stones in Los Angeles, and complained about the hard bargain the Stones drove on their contracts. Just when the site is almost set up for the concert, Cutler says, Filmways decides to claim 50 percent of the film revenues. Thus, another deal falls through.

In almost no time, some more wheeling and dealing brought them Altamont. Scully and Cutler arrived at the new site to view it for the first time just twenty hours before Santana's set was to begin. Scully almost croaked right there, but Cutler felt the show must go on regardless of the inherent ugliness of the site, and by 10 AM Saturday, the PA was set up and the stage had been moved over from Sears Point.

That, Cutler felt in retrospect, had been a big mistake; the stage built for Sears Point was to be on a hill-top. It was obviously inadequate for Altamont, but time was too short to build one right.

"One of the biggest mistakes – which we could do nothing about – is that the whole thing would have been very cool if we'd had a twelve-foot high stage, with one set of steps at the back," he says now.

But they never seriously considered cancelling, he admitted, because," . . . the energy that had been going all the time was a kind of buoyant, vibrant energy, and it was also a very powerful one.

"I think it disintegrated because no one knew how to handle the fact that the Stones had decided to come and play for free, quote, quote, in San Francisco. No one knew how to handle it. No one knew how to handle it, and I don't think I knew how to handle it. We did our best. But we got caught up in the bullshit."

That nobody knew how to handle it was obvious by the manner in which the Hell's Angels completely took over the festival. Even today, Cutler still doesn't like to talk about the Angels; it looks like he's becoming a San Francisco resident, and people in San Francisco don't generally criticize the Hell's Angels publicly because it's neither cool nor healthy.

Or, as Cutler explains it, "I'm not putting the Angels down at all. There's no doubt, for example, that the Angels – that a lot of cats got hurt that didn't deserve to get hurt. Because they were in the way . . . The Angels had a bum trip on 'em. No doubt about that – they like walked into it. There ain't no doubt about that either. Right in the beginning a number of Angels tried to sort it out as best they could and it just got worse and worse for them. And it just got blacker and blacker and blacker. Talk to the Angels. You'll find 20 Angels out of the 300 or however many were there who had a groovy time. They were the 20 who stayed at the Angels bus. The rest of them had a total bummer."

The exact nature of the understanding between the Angels and the concert promoters, if indeed there was any understanding, is still uncertain. Cutler admits the Angels were given $500 worth of beer by the Stones, but insists they were not hired as security. They were told it was going to be a party, and, presumably, the beer was to make them more festive.

According to Cutler, prior to the festival, "I asked how one deals with the different groups in this area. If you're organizing a thing for 300,000 people, how do you deal with 300,000 people? What do the Angels want, what does anybody want out of it? So as part of this process of finding out, we went to see the Angels. Rock Scully and I and Emmett Grogan went to see the Angels.

"Now the Angels didn't want anything out of it. The Angels aren't cops; they wouldn't police an event, and nobody would invite them to."

The obvious question, then, is how they ended up in that role. To which Cutler only replies that they did even though nobody expected them to, and that he didn't want any police in any form for the concert.

"The only Angels I ever talked to were the San Francisco Angels," he claims. "They were coming to a party. And it was clearly understood between them and me and Rock and everyone else that it was a party. That's what we wanted it to be."

But the Angels definitely were given $500 worth of beer – "Five hundred bucks? Peanuts. What's five hundred bucks to the Rolling Stones? Nothing – paid for by the Stones, prior to the concert.

"The Dead have bought beer for the Angels. The Airplane have bought beer for the Angels, lots of groups have. The traditional way of making it all cool and groovy and calm and nice for the Angels and for everybody else is to get a supply of beer in; the Angels give it out and drink it and have a party at their bus. It's happened before and it's happened successfully. No reason to believe that it wouldn't happen successfully again."

Then why do the Angels claim they were hired as security?

"That's an honest misconception on their part. No one in the whole world can hire the Angels to do anything."

Cutler has now worked himself somewhat into the Grateful Dead circle, and seems to be pretty happy with them. "As people, they are real, there's no bullshit about them, there's no pop star charisma about them," he says.

"It's a sad thing that lots of things that I will say will kind of @#$%& up whatever kind of degree of friendship that exists between me and the Rolling Stones," he laments. "I guess that with some members of the Rolling Stones that kind of friendship is pretty low and with other members it might be a bit better, but that's life, ain't it? Or that's life with the Rolling Stones, life in the pop melee. I think it's miserable.

"I don't think the Rolling Stones, as a group, have acted honorably. They haven't acted honorably quite simply because of all the shit that's been flying, directed at me, and Mick Jagger has made no attempt, at all, to protect me. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. I believe that if I work my guts out for somebody, and make 'em a lot of bread – which I did for example at Hyde Park – from the Hyde Park concert which the Stones made $400,000 out of, that's what they got for the American film rights. I got not one penny. And I dug doing it.

"The Rolling Stones can get up and say, 'Sam Cutler is a shit,' maybe, but he's not as much of a shit as everybody's made out. Because the whole Altamont trip personally cost me a lot. It cost me, for example, the whole financing of a series of festivals I was going to do in Europe, which in fact while it's been embarrassment, is groovy, 'cause that's the last festival I want to be involved in anywhere. It's the death of festivals. Bloody good thing as well. It can go in some other direction as far as I'm concerned."

Cutler, as his remarks make obvious, was miffed at the Stones. He had sought to see Mick back in London, but his request for a meeting got shuffled aside. Finally, he got to see Jagger for 10 minutes – an "embarrassing" 10 minutes, according to Cutler, because neither could think of anything to say to the other. But Cutler does have ideas about how the Stones might begin to improve matters.

"Well, for the start they should clearly and unequivocally come out with what they're going to do with the money," he suggested. "The Maysles Brothers should quite clearly state that their half of the film is profit. In other words, that the money is not being given to anything, it's not being given to any kind of a charity or anything."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 29, 2016 21:34

Sam Cutler 3 years ago at a book-store signing & GS movie presentation.
At 44:30 onward it's too sad;
I watched all of it tho, he's in a unique situation and seems pretty out-front.
Has his very mixed emotions about his history with the band, and it's understandable.
but in 2013 saying of Mick onstage after he told him to get off...
"...a very very brave and ballsy guy."

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-29 22:32 by hopkins.

Date: August 31, 2016 21:34

Me and my big mouth..My remembering Altamont A mostly accurate article on a Q & A I did at a screening of Gimme Shelter in Livermore, CA three years ago..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 1, 2016 18:40

Mojo Magazine, October 2016

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 3, 2016 19:27

2000 LYFH
This story is from the April 30th, 1970 issue of Rolling Stone:

Or, as Cutler explains it, "I'm not putting the Angels down at all. There's no doubt, for example, that the Angels – that a lot of cats got hurt that didn't deserve to get hurt. Because they were in the way . . . The Angels had a bum trip on 'em. No doubt about that – they like walked into it. There ain't no doubt about that either. Right in the beginning a number of Angels tried to sort it out as best they could and it just got worse and worse for them. And it just got blacker and blacker and blacker. Talk to the Angels. You'll find 20 Angels out of the 300 or however many were there who had a groovy time. They were the 20 who stayed at the Angels bus. The rest of them had a total bummer."

The exact nature of the understanding between the Angels and the concert promoters, if indeed there was any understanding, is still uncertain. Cutler admits the Angels were given $500 worth of beer by the Stones, but insists they were not hired as security. They were told it was going to be a party, and, presumably, the beer was to make them more festive.

According to Cutler, prior to the festival, "I asked how one deals with the different groups in this area. If you're organizing a thing for 300,000 people, how do you deal with 300,000 people? What do the Angels want, what does anybody want out of it? So as part of this process of finding out, we went to see the Angels. Rock Scully and I and Emmett Grogan went to see the Angels.

"Now the Angels didn't want anything out of it. The Angels aren't cops; they wouldn't police an event, and nobody would invite them to."

The obvious question, then, is how they ended up in that role. To which Cutler only replies that they did even though nobody expected them to, and that he didn't want any police in any form for the concert.

"The only Angels I ever talked to were the San Francisco Angels," he claims. "They were coming to a party. And it was clearly understood between them and me and Rock and everyone else that it was a party. That's what we wanted it to be."

But the Angels definitely were given $500 worth of beer – "Five hundred bucks? Peanuts. What's five hundred bucks to the Rolling Stones? Nothing – paid for by the Stones, prior to the concert.

"The Dead have bought beer for the Angels. The Airplane have bought beer for the Angels, lots of groups have. The traditional way of making it all cool and groovy and calm and nice for the Angels and for everybody else is to get a supply of beer in; the Angels give it out and drink it and have a party at their bus. It's happened before and it's happened successfully. No reason to believe that it wouldn't happen successfully again."

Then why do the Angels claim they were hired as security?

"That's an honest misconception on their part. No one in the whole world can hire the Angels to do anything."

Cutler is trying to cover his ass here and not doing a very good job of it.

Pretending to bring the Angels in and give them $500 in beer[that's over $3000 in todays money]but not have them working security,["oh they misunderstood"]You gave them all that free drink out of the kindest of your heart? what a great guy.

Photographer Jim Marshall overheard Cutler say to the Angels "do what you have to do,just keep everyone away from the Stones"-but they weren' hired as security..Riiiiight.

Date: September 4, 2016 18:03

Riiiight....they weren't hired for security!
Sorry, but at this point you will have to wait a couple of months to hear the actual story that I got at the time from Sam...
PS: note that,for the most part, the beatings had nothing to do with stage security..

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 5, 2016 02:05

bmuseed

PS: note that,for the most part, the beatings had nothing to do with stage security..

exactly, we all know that beatings are only done for purposes of morale. in all the BS talk about altamont, the stones and blame i've never understood why the fact than san fran was the runaway capital of the usa in the late '60's is never mentioned. keith was right, some of those A-holes were askin' for it.

plus, someone down front pointed a gun at mick. that matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-05 02:13 by sundevil.

Date: September 6, 2016 21:44

bmuseed
Sorry, but at this point you will have to wait a couple of months to hear the actual story that I got at the time from Sam...

I'm hoping for your insight but also something more than the shiny objects we are told to look at every time Altamont is mentioned.
The shiny objects being the Stones,the black guy in the lime green suit and the Angels.
of course,followed shortly by the spoon feeding of the narrative-angry bikers attack crowd and kill concert goer.

I've always maintained that the crowd themselves were some fckd up nasty ass people and contributed greatly to the disaster as much as anyone.
it's something i saw even during the 70's going to see the Stones.-this sort of underbelly of losers and derelicts that i didn't see at concerts by other bigtime bands like he Who or Zeppelin.but for some reason a Stones show was like a magnet for them

If i ask how the other three people died and who killed them,or why the Angels weren't fighting with the crowd at the prior Dead or Airplane shows,or if i mention i'd like to have seen that guy who punched Mick Jagger in the face maybe get cracked in the head with a pool cue a couple of times- i get ten responses all telling me the Hells Angels are mean and nasty people.
i get it-and water is wet,but it still doesn't answer anything beyond the surface.

Date: September 7, 2016 17:31

My insight...the Euro tour was scarier..and the press, sucks!
Lem...it seems the nasty ass people were mostly around the stage..more than likely 'bad drugs' had a big influence..
If you were a few hundred feet from the stage...you had a great time..and the newspapers reflected that the next day. It wasn't until a quiet news Monday that the 'if it bleeds lead' took over. I was surprised they didn't have the headline.. Man brings a knife to a gunfight..and wins. When I saw the footage, I was glad an Angel was there.
I wanted to punch the guy that hit Mick..I went for him... Mick stopped me. "Be cool" he said..

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 7, 2016 18:09

sundevil
bmuseed

Cant even take you seriously after that one.

How the heck would you know that he was pointing a gun at Mick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-07 18:10 by stanlove.

Date: September 7, 2016 18:14

lem motlow
bmuseed

If i ask how the other three people died and who killed them,

Because you have already shown yourself to be totally pro Angel. This question right here proves it again. Why the heck would it matter that 3 other people died. A guy drowned so somehow that defends the Angels?

2 people get run over and that someohow is defense of the Angels? Your arguments have been irrational from the start and all in favor of the Angels.

Its on Video. We saw the way the Angels acted.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 7, 2016 18:49

bmuseed
Lem...it seems the nasty ass people were mostly around the stage..more than likely 'bad drugs' had a big influence..
If you were a few hundred feet from the stage...you had a great time..and the newspapers reflected that the next day. It wasn't until a quiet news Monday that the 'if it bleeds lead' took over. I was surprised they didn't have the headline.. Man brings a knife to a gunfight..and wins. When I saw the footage, I was glad an Angel was there.
I wanted to punch the guy that hit Mick..I went for him... Mick stopped me. "Be cool" he said..

How would punching the guy have made things better? Maybe just better for you?Seems an orderly arrest or removing him (in one piece) from the grounds is the better option.

Date: September 7, 2016 20:20

bmuseed

I was glad he was there too,that was really close to the stage and if that gun went off who knows what would've happened.
i once said "a first year law student could've gotten Passaro off on that charge"i didn't say that as an offhand remark.

I have a relative with a JD from Stanford-i showed her this case and she said "i could've mopped the floor with that prosecutor after my first semester" the D.A got caught up in the hype and overcharged the guy,you can't give someone the death penalty when the so-called victim is a gangbanger brandishing a gun and they find meth in his system during the autopsy.
I think it was Rock Scully who said he noticed the guy and he looked like a madman.

i agree about the "bad drugs" thing.the Angels had no history of problems with the crowds at the Greatful Dead shows which is why Garcia told the Stones they were ok.like i posted before i've been in close proximity to them and i didn't feel any "dark forboding sense of trouble" as the vibe at Altamont was described,it was just a bunch of bikers drinking beer.like you said,there was something wrong with those people down front,they were looking for trouble .

And it was a good show.i read an interview in the mid-70's and they asked Mick about it,he said "i talked to alot of people later who enjoyed it.sometimes i think the only people who had a bad time were me and the guy who got killed"-the old Jagger sarcasm aside,that was true for alot of the people there.

i hope you touch on all of this in your book,i can't wait to read it.

Date: September 7, 2016 20:48

swimtothemoon
bmuseed

How would punching the guy have made things better? Maybe just better for you?Seems an orderly arrest or removing him (in one piece) from the grounds is the better option.

Don't remember what happened to him. Was he arrested, thrown out or did he just walk away?

Date: September 8, 2016 02:40

lem motlow

If i ask how the other three people died and who killed them,or why the Angels weren't fighting with the crowd at the prior Dead or Airplane shows,or if i mention i'd like to have seen that guy who punched Mick Jagger in the face maybe get cracked in the head with a pool cue a couple of times- i get ten responses all telling me the Hells Angels are mean and nasty people.
i get it-and water is wet,but it still doesn't answer anything beyond the surface.

The book, Altamont: Death of Innocence in the Woodstock Nation quotes Ralph J. Gleason detailing the Angels pummeling a guy/guys while guarding the generators at The Be In.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 8, 2016 17:02

" ... there was an outcry over ticket prices."

There was no outcry over prices.

I was twelve in 1969 years old when I saw the Stones at the Spectrum in Philly. The ticket cost $7.50. I still have it.

My mother took me and my 2 brothers; my friend and my friend's mom and little brother; and my older brother's friend...

Eight of us for $60!

Date: September 8, 2016 21:56

schillid

" ... there was an outcry over ticket prices."

There was no outcry over prices.

Yes there was. The Stones were getting criticized in the press for the high ticket prices for the time.

Date: September 9, 2016 02:08

stanlove
sundevil
bmuseed

Cant even take you seriously after that one.

How the heck would you know that he was pointing a gun at Mick?

i was tempted to say something, but i got a question instead. you related to anyone?

Date: September 9, 2016 20:10

Where did I say this???
bmuseed

I don't recall it and it's not something I would say.

and now for the good press....that happened the next day...

Date: September 10, 2016 01:00

the quote boxes are screwed up, you didn't say it, i did. spanish tony quoted mick as saying "F*ck, there's a guy with a gun out there". since mr. lime green was more or less front row according to the film, and mick spotted him, it's POSSIBLE someone could have been shot. even if mick hadn't spotted him, it's still possible one of the stones could have been shot.

and i don't buy the BS, "so what", "rolling stone" style argument, "even with a gun present, nothing was going to happen", coming from people that were NOT going to have the gun pointed at them. for a million reasons it was the ultimate bad gig and luckily the stones got out in tact.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: September 10, 2016 21:02

That Mojo article says that the Angels turned Meredith's gun over to the police. I always thought it was never found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-10 21:03 by misterfrias.

Date: September 10, 2016 22:05

misterfrias
That Mojo article says that the Angels turned Meredith's gun over to the police. I always thought it was never found.

that "qoute this message" option isn't that damn hard to use,i wish some of the posters would figure it out.alot of these questions and answers are a convoluted mess

-click it,the persons message will appear in a box,write your reply over or under it.

watch-misterfrias post above in a box^
my answer-below v

If you watch Gimme Shelter you'll see a guy in a white shirt [who i assume is from the small security force the owner hired to protect the speedaway grounds] is talking to a cop,he says "i have the gun,one of the Angels gave it to me"
which is why even though we have these threads pop up here and again it's always good because people are constantly trying to shovel sht.
i actually saw something recently"poor meredith even lost his gun,a fan took it for a souvenir" i'm thinking,how fckng lazy is the guy who wrote this article.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: September 10, 2016 22:48

lem motlow
misterfrias

If you watch Gimme Shelter you'll see a guy in a white shirt [who i assume is from the small security force the owner hired to protect the speedaway grounds] is talking to a cop,he says "i have the gun,one of the Angels gave it to me"
which is why even though we have these threads pop up here and again it's always good because people are constantly trying to shovel sht.
i actually saw something recently"poor meredith even lost his gun,a fan took it for a souvenir" i'm thinking,how fckng lazy is the guy who wrote this article.

Damn, Lem, I have seen that movie a thousand times and have never noted that comment. Thanks for the clarification.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2191
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home