Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Bill Wyman 80th Birthday Gala @ O2 London
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 28, 2016 15:44

I understand why he had to play acoustic on Satisfaction. The few times he played electric he awfully overplayed, tried to steel the solo and made weird variations of the riff.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 28, 2016 15:46

5 tickets now left of stubhub with the cheapest being a single in the rafters for £120 + fees. I think he could have filled the O2 arena itself for this 1-off event so a pity he's gone for the Indigo.

10 on Viagogo from £176 + fees. It looks like this really is the hottest ticket in town as a previous poster said.

Still, it's his birthday do so his choice. Perhaps he prefers the intimacy of a smaller venue.

Nothing on getmein or seatwave or returns to the box office.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 16:11 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 28, 2016 16:01

MonkeyMan2000
I understand why he had to play acoustic on Satisfaction. The few times he played electric he awfully overplayed, tried to steel the solo and made weird variations of the riff.

Listening to Brussels I always felt that he ruins some of their signature songs by playing weird variations. MT just ain´t no team-player.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 28, 2016 16:46

.Ronnie Wood ! winking smiley

Mick Hucknall ?@mjhucknall
Excited to celebrate @bill_wyman being 80yrs young 2nite at the 02 with my pals @vanmorrison @ronniewood and @RobertPlant @BluesFestUK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 16:46 by Lien.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:10

Yayy - way cool! Can't wait for this show!

Date: October 28, 2016 17:17

thumbs up

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:23

Waiting for a phone call to see if I have got a ticket

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:23

EJM
Another piece of non evidence based speculation from me .....

I guess one problem in O2 2012 was that Mick and Keith's relationship was on such fragile ice after THE Book and the deterioration of Keith's chops after the accident.

As a result I suspect Keith had much less influence on who did what than Bill expected him to have based on the past. In addition his playing had been so unreliable that the regular band had been rearranged somewhat to close in to support him in various ways.

I think you're right here. Bill has said that when he was in the band, Keith would lead the rhythm section, and that he and Charlie would sort of intuit where Keith was going. I'm pretty sure that's not the dynamic that has developed with Darryl.

EJM
Mick recognised keith needed a completely supportive bass back up to avoid disasters and putting in different band members , even as solid as Bill, on the big numbers might have been risky. Things seem much better now.

The " Miss you " stuff, however , does seem a bit thoughtless of Mick

I wonder if it wasn't an attempt to tease Bill that fell flat. Mick seems to like Bill well enough. I'm thinking of the pictures of Mick on stage with a newspaper headline about Bill pinned to his shirt.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:01

" I suspect Keith had much less influence on who did what "

Well before the O2 shows, Keith said in an interview (was it Rolling Stone?) that "Darryl is not going anywhere [during the show]" which clearly suggested Bill will not be involved very much. So Keith must have known in advance.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:18

Mathijs

But in all honesty, it was Taylor himself who blew it. It just wasn't any good what he played. It was unrehearsed, uninspired, sloppy. So they quickly moved him to Midnight Rambler only, which is a blues jam in B, where not much can go wrong. But even there Taylor managed to step on Jagger's and Richards'toes, by overplaying and being too present. It just wasn't a big success.

Mathijs

for the life of me i cannot understand what the hell mick taylor was thinking during that guest spot.i was really pulling for him too..
the shows i saw i couldn't help but cringe when he was out there,i was saying to myself "mick just fade into the backing musicians and throw in your licks here and there-be mick taylor,stay back and let your guitar do the talking.
what does he do?-he jumps out there in front with jagger and starts walking around the front of the stage and as mathijs said horribly overplaying.it was as if he wanted his big rockstar moment and he just didn't fit in with them, visually or musically.
if you've seen the stones enough times you can sort of see how things are going onstage by looking at jagger and richards-about the tenth forced smile and i knew they were gonna cut ties with him..he could've done more work with them but he just blew it..again.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 28, 2016 20:09

Well... I can agree on the over playing and wanting his moment to a degree. But also I can feel Mick Jagger is loving this, the jamming and all. In my opinion Mick J is loving the feeling during Midnight Rambler. And there is/was more potential there. Who can really tell where and why it ended?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 28, 2016 20:23

lem motlow
Mathijs

But in all honesty, it was Taylor himself who blew it. It just wasn't any good what he played. It was unrehearsed, uninspired, sloppy. So they quickly moved him to Midnight Rambler only, which is a blues jam in B, where not much can go wrong. But even there Taylor managed to step on Jagger's and Richards'toes, by overplaying and being too present. It just wasn't a big success.

Mathijs

for the life of me i cannot understand what the hell mick taylor was thinking during that guest spot.i was really pulling for him too..
the shows i saw i couldn't help but cringe when he was out there,i was saying to myself "mick just fade into the backing musicians and throw in your licks here and there-be mick taylor,stay back and let your guitar do the talking.
what does he do?-he jumps out there in front with jagger and starts walking around the front of the stage and as mathijs said horribly overplaying.it was as if he wanted his big rockstar moment and he just didn't fit in with them, visually or musically.
if you've seen the stones enough times you can sort of see how things are going onstage by looking at jagger and richards-about the tenth forced smile and i knew they were gonna cut ties with him..he could've done more work with them but he just blew it..again.

Mick Taylors playing with The Stones 2012-2014 was very utfortunate due to the fact that he was JUST as rusty as Keith and Ronnie compared to the golden years.

You could clearly understand Keith and Ronnie allowing their chops fading to an amateur level after years of too much fame and money. But Mick Taylor was supposed to be the underdog playing Keith and Ronnie off the stage showing that he still was a relevant guitarist. Sadly this didn't happen and Taylor was just a shadow of his former shelf. Don't blame this on age, Jeff Beck is still great, cause he still plays guitar on his free time.

With that said Taylor's playing on White Room at Jack Bruce tribute was better than I had expected.

Date: October 28, 2016 21:55

Merchandise smiling smiley

T-shirts with Ronnie's design for Bill's birthday ;

[mobile.twitter.com]

Date: October 28, 2016 22:44

No scopes so far sad smiley

Date: October 28, 2016 23:29

grzegorz67
No scopes so far sad smiley

[www.periscope.tv]

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: October 28, 2016 23:42

I don't understand this. Not sticky. Nothing.confused smiley

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 28, 2016 23:56

With many thanks to Beast, who is now enjoying this concert and was so kind to send me these pics she took at the O2.

While waiting for the birthday gig some old pics and 7" covers and posters were being shown on the screen:

Happy Birthday to Bill:

Joe Brown on stage, playing Ruby Tuesday:

Van Morrison on stage:

Harlem Shuffle:

Date: October 29, 2016 00:16

"They say never meet your heroes. These Gentlemen @vanmorrison @RobertPlant are an exception to that rule. Backstage at @bill_wyman 80th"

[twitter.com]

Date: October 29, 2016 00:19

Sterling work as ever Cristiano. Thank you very much sir! Would love to have been there but sold out ages ago and I was too slow sad smiley

Date: October 29, 2016 00:40

Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 29, 2016 01:12

Stevie Van Zandt presenting a Lifetime Achievement award to Bill Wyman with Bob Geldof

[twitter.com]

Date: October 29, 2016 01:13

Stevie, Bill and Geldof doing Little Red Rooster

[twitter.com]

Date: October 29, 2016 01:18

"It's Percy Plant sounding fab on I Feel So Bad."

[twitter.com]

Date: October 29, 2016 01:23

"Robert and the fantastic Imelda May"

[twitter.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 29, 2016 01:24

Great just great. Thanks to everyone keeping us current with this!
Bill looks happy. To think Van the Man is there with him is just great.
Keep it coming if you can. thumbs up

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 01:53

No Stones but a video message wishing him a very happy birthday.

Initial thoughts; Excellent and from where I was sitting you could hear every note of Bill's bass. Cracking version of Beast of Burden done.

Highlight though was an 80 year old Wyman performing Si Si Je Suis live for the first time.

Date: October 29, 2016 03:51

Some more pics from Beast (thank you again! smiling smiley) and some infos about the setlist:

Holly Stevenson - Beast of Burden and Time is on My Side
Bob Geldof - Little red rooster and Route 66
Bill - Je Suis un Rock Star
Mick Hucknall - King bee, Reconsider Baby and 634-5789
Beverley Skeete - It's a Man's World
Imelda May - Let The Good Times Roll and I'm Crying (the Animals' song)

Note: by judging the record labels on the screen, Robert Plant did You Need Loving

Date: October 29, 2016 03:53

Bill receiving his Lifetime Achievement award and some more pics from Beast:

Date: October 29, 2016 06:34

Photos by Alan D West/PA

Date: October 29, 2016 06:35

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home