Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Bill Wyman 80th Birthday Gala @ O2 London
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 23, 2016 18:20

stargroover
Got my ticket for this birthday party!
Still think we will get some Stones there.
Probably :
Ronnie .....favourite to attend
Mick T.
Ronnie and Charlie ......second favourite
Charlie
Ronnie and Mick
Mick and Carlie
Mick
Keith
Mick and Keith
All the Stones(Complete outstander)

Mick Taylor is in town for the Jack Bruce tribute concert on 25/10.
Might stay for Bill's anniversary concert.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 23, 2016 21:43

The Stones won´t show up uninvited. And an invitation is very unlikely after they treated Wyman so awful in 2012. I believe inviting Wyman/Taylor for 50 and counting was a planned and well executed humilation of the "unfaithful" ex-members. First they humilated Wyman off- and on stage. Then Taylor´s 2-year-long humilation began. He rarely ever had a chance to play his "signature tunes" like CYHMK or Sway and if they allowed him to play those tunes Mick usually stopped his solo after a few bars. They treated him to play acoustic guitar on Satisfaction, his major part of the shows was a few minutes of jamming on MR (anybody could have been doing that, it´s not a big thing). The top of it all was not even letting him know that he wouldn´t be part of the zip-code-tour. According to MT he was ready and waited on a call that never ever came. To be kicked out and not even told about being out is the biggest humilation possible. They acted really macchiavellian. I love the Stones, but they can be real mean if they want to. Bill will never forget what they´ve done to him in 2012. I also do not think Bill will invite Mick Taylor, he obviously doesn´t care for MT. He never offered him to join the Rhythm Kings although it would have been an almost natural choice. So I don´t expect any Stone to join the 80th Birthday Gala.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 23, 2016 21:54

Still hoping for Ronnie and Charlie to show up. Dont think the Glimmer Twins will be there.
Jeroen

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 23, 2016 22:24

corriecas
Still hoping for Ronnie and Charlie to show up. Dont think the Glimmer Twins will be there.
Jeroen

I don't think Glimmers either, I don't think Bill would invite them. But definitely looking likely for Charlie & Ronnie.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 23, 2016 22:42

...Concerning Glimmer twins/Mick Taylor connection we don't really know what happened exactly..! it's difficult to juge ...

Date: October 24, 2016 07:53

"He never offered him to join the Rhythm Kings although it would have been an almost natural choice. So I don´t expect any Stone to join the 80th Birthday Gala."

MT did play with RK on some shows.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 25, 2016 18:10

Now there is the Foxborough gig tonight,Tuesday 25/10,it is looking very unlikely any of them will show.Maybe we get a video message?

Date: October 25, 2016 18:25

stargroover
Now there is the Foxborough gig tonight,Tuesday 25/10,it is looking very unlikely any of them will show.Maybe we get a video message?

By all accounts Foxborough was planned months ago, so I think they will still be at Bill's gig. Well some of them anyway. That Hollie Stephenson posted only a few weeks ago about performing with some of the Stones there.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 26, 2016 01:21

mtaylor
"He never offered him to join the Rhythm Kings although it would have been an almost natural choice. So I don´t expect any Stone to join the 80th Birthday Gala."

MT did play with RK on some shows.

Not sure about the 'obvious choice' bit.
Bill has first rate musicians in his band and having another'ex Stone' in his band would surely not be to his liking.
Re the Glimmers: relationships can't be that bad....they still exchange Christmas presents!
That said I'm pretty sure Mick and Keith will be tied up in NYC for a while on Stones and new baby matters....so no shows.

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: October 26, 2016 02:12

Mick Taylor was on great form at the Jack Bruce gig tonight. Let's hope he's there on Friday
mtaylor
stargroover
Probably :
Mick T.
Charlie
Ronnie and Mick
Mick and Carlie
Mick
Keith
Mick and Keith

Date: October 26, 2016 02:17

I was there too Monkeyman and he was great, some really fluid guitar playing and a nice tribute to Jack.

If neither MT or the other Stones show up then so be it, it'll be a superb gig nonetheless with a cracking line up.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: October 26, 2016 03:46

Yeah Happy Birthday Bill Wyman! I agree he was the best for the Stones just listen to Hampton that one of the best live concerts I think they ever did that whole tour was great but DJ has nothing on Bill it took 10 imo for DJ to even have the Stones sound kinda right and the way they changed because of DJ Even though I like DJ now. Not even close to Bill though for the Stones imo.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:59

i think a great night in Indigo 28 october

Date: October 27, 2016 17:57

monkeymantoo
Mick Taylor was on great form at the Jack Bruce gig tonight. Let's hope he's there on Friday
mtaylor
stargroover
Probably :
Mick T.
Charlie
Ronnie and Mick
Mick and Carlie
Mick
Keith
Mick and Keith

thumbs up

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: October 27, 2016 20:25

Has onyone got a spare ticket please?
Flairville@aol.com or 07912572121.
Thanks,
Ben.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 27, 2016 20:30

Hi Ben,

I was going to be in the same boat as you, looking for a spare too but I can't get down south now.

I'm convinced that there will be tickets available online tomorrow at some point and even it that and The Pilot Inn fail, do try at the Indigo box office.

Good luck to you and everyone have a great birthday bash!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 27, 2016 23:16

HMS
The Stones won´t show up uninvited. And an invitation is very unlikely after they treated Wyman so awful in 2012. I believe inviting Wyman/Taylor for 50 and counting was a planned and well executed humilation of the "unfaithful" ex-members. First they humilated Wyman off- and on stage. Then Taylor´s 2-year-long humilation began. He rarely ever had a chance to play his "signature tunes" like CYHMK or Sway and if they allowed him to play those tunes Mick usually stopped his solo after a few bars. They treated him to play acoustic guitar on Satisfaction, his major part of the shows was a few minutes of jamming on MR (anybody could have been doing that, it´s not a big thing). The top of it all was not even letting him know that he wouldn´t be part of the zip-code-tour. According to MT he was ready and waited on a call that never ever came. To be kicked out and not even told about being out is the biggest humilation possible. They acted really macchiavellian. I love the Stones, but they can be real mean if they want to. Bill will never forget what they´ve done to him in 2012. I also do not think Bill will invite Mick Taylor, he obviously doesn´t care for MT. He never offered him to join the Rhythm Kings although it would have been an almost natural choice. So I don´t expect any Stone to join the 80th Birthday Gala.

In what way did they humiliate Bill? By not letting him play more than two songs, or was it something else?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 27, 2016 23:23

“I jammed with Charlie [Watts], Keith [Richards] and Ronnie [Wood] in a studio in Battersea nine months before the gig. Mick came on the third day,” says Wyman, in a characteristically flat tone, as he sits in one of the booths in Sticky Fingers beneath a wall decorated with Stones tour posters and concert photographs. “And they were getting over-friendly, Keith in particular. I invited Keith and Patti [Hansen, Keith Richards’ wife] to the house for dinner and he was all over me. He gave me a scarf with all these skeleton things on it and he kept hugging me, saying, ‘Man, it’s great to be back.’ And the talk was that I’d be heavily involved when they did their next thing.”

Wyman — who no longer has the cadaverous, crow-like air of a Rolling Stone but who now looks like your average 78-year-old millionaire, albeit one with hair — documents the frustrations that followed. They began when he was told he could only play two songs at the O2.

“And they wouldn’t tell me which two,” he says, managing to sound both indignant and unemotional at the same time. “It really disappointed me. I said, ‘Why don’t you let me do the last five, and then your guy [Darryl Jones, who replaced Wyman as the Stones’ bassist] can do the encore?’ No, no, no. So the day before the rehearsal I’m going through 50 Stones songs, thinking they’ll want me to do my signature ones like Miss You and Jumping Jack Flash. Then they tell me I’m doing Honky Tonk Women and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll.”

The torments didn’t stop there. “Two days later I went to the O2 for the soundcheck. I had to use his [Jones’s] amplifier and he plays completely differently from me. He plays with his fingers, hard, I play with my thumb, lightly. I didn’t have time to check out his amp settings. Then Mick says, ‘We’ve got to rehearse with Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck and this girl [Florence Welch] and there’s no time for a soundcheck — for you.’ In the end I just went on stage, plugged in and hoped for the best.”

What was the reason for such treatment at the hands of his former brothers in arms? “Maybe they were punishing me for leaving the band,” offers Wyman, to cries of protest from his personal assistant, who’s sitting at a table nearby. “They never wanted me to leave. When I came off stage and went to join my wife and daughters in the pit, the bass player started doing Miss You! He’s playing all my parts — and not as well as I thought he should. He’s playing the octaves as single notes. And then Mick starts saying what a great bass player he is, right in front of me. ‘Look at Darryl, isn’t he fantastic?’ goes Mick.”

Wyman shakes his head. “They never forgave me for leaving.

[www.theaustralian.com.au]

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 27, 2016 23:55

Thank you Lien. Very interesting.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 28, 2016 00:37

Lets face it. It's been all downhill since he left.

Posted by: Somethinelse ()
Date: October 28, 2016 01:50

mtaylor

Mick T was in town for the Jack Bruce tribute. He didn't hang about however. And since Bill didn't extend an invitation to him, he's not planning to gate-crash the party.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 01:53 by Somethinelse.

Date: October 28, 2016 01:57

Somethinelse
mtaylor

Mick T was in town for the Jack Bruce tribute. He didn't hang about however. And since Bill didn't extend an invitation to him, he's not planning to gate-crash the party.

Part of me has thought all along will Bill want any of the Stones there? i.e- He doesn't want to turn it into a Stones event. And I see where he's coming from if thats the case but I do hope some do show up though.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 28, 2016 06:17

Lien
“I jammed with Charlie [Watts], Keith [Richards] and Ronnie [Wood] in a studio in Battersea nine months before the gig. Mick came on the third day,” says Wyman, in a characteristically flat tone, as he sits in one of the booths in Sticky Fingers beneath a wall decorated with Stones tour posters and concert photographs. “And they were getting over-friendly, Keith in particular. I invited Keith and Patti [Hansen, Keith Richards’ wife] to the house for dinner and he was all over me. He gave me a scarf with all these skeleton things on it and he kept hugging me, saying, ‘Man, it’s great to be back.’ And the talk was that I’d be heavily involved when they did their next thing.”

Wyman — who no longer has the cadaverous, crow-like air of a Rolling Stone but who now looks like your average 78-year-old millionaire, albeit one with hair — documents the frustrations that followed. They began when he was told he could only play two songs at the O2.

“And they wouldn’t tell me which two,” he says, managing to sound both indignant and unemotional at the same time. “It really disappointed me. I said, ‘Why don’t you let me do the last five, and then your guy [Darryl Jones, who replaced Wyman as the Stones’ bassist] can do the encore?’ No, no, no. So the day before the rehearsal I’m going through 50 Stones songs, thinking they’ll want me to do my signature ones like Miss You and Jumping Jack Flash. Then they tell me I’m doing Honky Tonk Women and It’s Only Rock’n’Roll.”

The torments didn’t stop there. “Two days later I went to the O2 for the soundcheck. I had to use his [Jones’s] amplifier and he plays completely differently from me. He plays with his fingers, hard, I play with my thumb, lightly. I didn’t have time to check out his amp settings. Then Mick says, ‘We’ve got to rehearse with Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck and this girl [Florence Welch] and there’s no time for a soundcheck — for you.’ In the end I just went on stage, plugged in and hoped for the best.”

What was the reason for such treatment at the hands of his former brothers in arms? “Maybe they were punishing me for leaving the band,” offers Wyman, to cries of protest from his personal assistant, who’s sitting at a table nearby. “They never wanted me to leave. When I came off stage and went to join my wife and daughters in the pit, the bass player started doing Miss You! He’s playing all my parts — and not as well as I thought he should. He’s playing the octaves as single notes. And then Mick starts saying what a great bass player he is, right in front of me. ‘Look at Darryl, isn’t he fantastic?’ goes Mick.”

Wyman shakes his head. “They never forgave me for leaving.

[www.theaustralian.com.au]

He said he did the O2 gig, so his daughters could see him with his former band and see where he came from. He sounded very humble about it.

The Stones is soulless without him.

BTW, why isn't this a Sticky topic? I hope Brenda won't get a Sticky treatment when it comes to his 80th birthday...

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 28, 2016 09:29

I think those hoping to score a ticket for tonight might have a struggle.The usual places like Viagogo etc have very little left.This clearly is the hottest gig in London tonight.
There is also Georgie Fame on at Ronnie Scots.Second performance at 11 pm.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 28, 2016 12:47

stargroover
I think those hoping to score a ticket for tonight might have a struggle.The usual places like Viagogo etc have very little left.This clearly is the hottest gig in London tonight.
There is also Georgie Fame on at Ronnie Scots.Second performance at 11 pm.

I think you might be right. I'm conidering a late dash in from Swindon. There's currently one going on stubhub in the far upper balcony for £120 + fees.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 28, 2016 12:54

vertigojoe

That´s not true - simply not true.
With all their fillers VL, B2B & ABB were better albums than Steel Wheels (last one with Wyman on bass)

VL-Tour, Licks-Tour, B2B-Tour, Security-Tour and on and on - those tours were all much better than polished Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle-Tour (last tour with Wyman). Even ABB-tour was better. 2012-16 was often great considering their age.

In a couple of weeks we´ll get a great Blues-album.

I can see absolutely nothing "downhill" since he left.
Or did you mean it was "all downhill" for Bill since he left?
This to a certain extent might hold more truth.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 28, 2016 13:16

Another piece of non evidence based speculation from me .....

I guess one problem in O2 2012 was that Mick and Keith's relationship was on such fragile ice after THE Book and the deterioration of Keith's chops after the accident.

As a result I suspect Keith had much less influence on who did what than Bill expected him to have based on the past. In addition his playing had been so unreliable that the regular band had been rearranged somewhat to close in to support him in various ways.

Mick recognised keith needed a completely supportive bass back up to avoid disasters and putting in different band members , even as solid as Bill, on the big numbers might have been risky. Things seem much better now.

The " Miss you " stuff, however , does seem a bit thoughtless of Mick

Date: October 28, 2016 13:18

HMS
vertigojoe

That´s not true - simply not true.
With all their fillers VL, B2B & ABB were better albums than Steel Wheels (last one with Wyman on bass)

VL-Tour, Licks-Tour, B2B-Tour, Security-Tour and on and on - those tours were all much better than polished Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle-Tour (last tour with Wyman). Even ABB-tour was better. 2012-16 was often great considering their age.

In a couple of weeks we´ll get a great Blues-album.

I can see absolutely nothing "downhill" since he left.
Or did you mean it was "all downhill" for Bill since he left?
This to a certain extent might hold more truth.

I can understand what you mean, but I'll have to go for SW as the superior album. Except for How Can I Stop, nothing tops Continental Drift, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh and Hearts For Sale on the later albums, imo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 28, 2016 13:46

HMS

But in all honesty, it was Taylor himself who blew it. It just wasn't any good what he played. It was unrehearsed, uninspired, sloppy. So they quickly moved him to Midnight Rambler only, which is a blues jam in B, where not much can go wrong. But even there Taylor managed to step on Jagger's and Richards'toes, by overplaying and being too present. It just wasn't a big success.

Mathijs

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 28, 2016 15:34

Mathijs

But in all honesty, it was Taylor himself who blew it. It just wasn't any good what he played. It was unrehearsed, uninspired, sloppy. So they quickly moved him to Midnight Rambler only, which is a blues jam in B, where not much can go wrong. But even there Taylor managed to step on Jagger's and Richards'toes, by overplaying and being too present. It just wasn't a big success.

Mathijs

Agree completely.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home