Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: London and The Stones
Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: February 6, 2024 10:42

The 100 Club in Oxford Street
Half-Moon in Putney

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 6, 2024 11:04

There’s far too many. You’re better off googling it, quite honestly.

Regarding Cheyne Walk: is it a public road, or gated?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 6, 2024 11:18

Big Al
There’s far too many. You’re better off googling it, quite honestly.

Regarding Cheyne Walk: is it a public road, or gated?

Public

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 6, 2024 11:30

clapton71

any places there that I must visit that are associated with The Stones?

See here, from many older threads about Stones-related sites in London: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 6, 2024 14:32

StoneZP
Denmark Street
Hyde Park

Denmark St 4 is where Regent Sound Studios used to be.
You can’t miss it, it’s a guitar shop still called Regent Sound with a couple of Stones posters referring to their recordings there.

Is the Ealing Club still open? Worth a visit if so. Saw Chris Jagger there a couple of years ago.

Re: London UK travel advice for Rolling Stones fans
Date: February 6, 2024 14:42

The Alley Cat bar in the basement of Regent Sound is an excellent spot. Also, Richmond - EEl Pie Island, what was the Station Hotel opposite the train station, and where Nandos now is, on Richmond Bridge, was a cafe where the v young Stones ate, I've heard. The Wick! Have a drink in the Roebuck pub opposite, and look down on wonderful view of The Thames from the terrace overlooking Petersham...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 6, 2024 14:45

I'm surprised there aren't a few local fans, with a bit of cabby's "knowledge", offering tours of all those Stones sites.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 6, 2024 17:37

I have merged a number of old IORR "Visit London" threads together. For links see the main page IORR link list "Forum links of interest".

I am sure there are more than one BOOK about this subject. May be the book title is not "The Rolling Stones in London". Still, get the book(s). Then, just a few chapters which should be in such a book:

Wembley Stadium (12 shows)
Twickenham Stadium (x shows)
London Stadium
60's shows and studio works
Edith Grove
Station Hotel
Richmond
Chelsea
Brixton Academy
Shepherds Bush Empire
Olympic Studios
Primrose Hill
Hyde Park
Steak and Kidney Pie

and lots lots more...

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-06 17:40 by bv.

Date: February 6, 2024 22:52

bv

We're getting a bit archaeological here.

There's a site in Wembley. On it once stood the original Wembley Stadium (built in the 1920's) the venue for many Football finals and where England won the World Cup in the '60s. Also the Stadium where The Rolling Stones played many times (arguably their Home Pitch) and a stone's throw (pun intended) from where Charlie Watts (RIP) "The Wembley Whammer" was brought up. Also the venue for many many historic shows such as the Nelson Mandela concerts and Live Aid in 1985.

That Stadium was pulled down in 2003 and replaced.

I suspect that The Rolling Stones may not have played in the new Stadium.

So, why visit the re-developed location?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: February 6, 2024 23:39

You are welcome to the Hot Stuff Archive if I am around… it’s free!

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 7, 2024 06:53

All you gotta do to access the Hot Stuff Archive is to wear fancy clothes, right?

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 7, 2024 10:26

CaptainCorella
bv

There's a site in Wembley. On it once stood the original Wembley Stadium (built in the 1920's) the venue for many Football finals and where England won the World Cup in the '60s. Also the Stadium where The Rolling Stones played many times (arguably their Home Pitch) and a stone's throw (pun intended) from where Charlie Watts (RIP) "The Wembley Whammer" was brought up. Also the venue for many many historic shows such as the Nelson Mandela concerts and Live Aid in 1985.

At least you could visit Wembley Arena (the old Empire Pool) still standing at the same place where The Stones performed a few times in the 60s and of course did those legendary shows in 1973 + 2003.

Date: February 7, 2024 12:04

The Worst.
CaptainCorella
bv

At least you could visit Wembley Arena (the old Empire Pool) still standing at the same place where The Stones performed a few times in the 60s and of course did those legendary shows in 1973 + 2003.

I'd completely forgotten about that venue. I guess I'd assumed it had been pulled down.

Is it in regular use still? What goes on there?

I was actually at the Sunday 9th Sept 1973 show (from the ticket: Upper North Tier, Entrance 10, Row C, seat 101 cost a massive 2.20UK pounds) when Mick stopped the show because he could see "security" (sic) hassling someone. He stopped the show, told "security" to leave. Big cheers of course. Waited until they'd gone, and then resumed.

(I was also at the 1964 and 1965 Poll Winners concerts there, so saw both The Beatles and The Stones on the same bill on two of the four times that happened. I don't have those tickets as the nice young lady friend who I went with ate them. Not a typo.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 7, 2024 13:59

Topi
All you gotta do to access the Hot Stuff Archive is to wear fancy clothes, right?

Just be kind :-)

Date: February 7, 2024 15:18

I do know that Wembley Stadium as of today is not the very same stadium as The Rolling Stones did perform their 12 shows in during 1982-1999. Still, anyone of the 12 x 70,000 fans,i.e. close to one million fans, who went to those shows, do have great memories from the area, arriving into Wembley Park Tube Station, or some of the others nearby, walking up to the stadium, and the shows 1982 (2), 1990 (5), 1995 (3), 1999 (2). Then packed up in an enormous queue back home the same way...

Ahead of the 2012 shows, after they did their rehearsals in Paris, and the club shows there, The Rolling Stones did their production rehearsals at Wembley Arena. Staying in the nearby Holiday Inn and IBIS, during Stones travels, walking to the nearby local pubs in off-show evenings, no tourists, locals drinking the same every night, sitting in the same places every evening, leaving at the same time, it's just a part of the local English pub culture.

For me Wembley will always be one of the key places with Stones memories, walking out of the shows back in 1982, as they played "Land of Hope and Glory", it is 42 years ago, but the memory is still giving me goosebumps, not to mention in 1990, when two of the shows were postponed into August that year, the two last shows with Bill Wyman as a permanent band member on stage.

Then do not forget Charlie Watts, nicknamed "The Wembley Whammer".

If I can, I always stay a night or two out in one of the low priced still great quality Wembley hotels during travels, the train is direct in 10 minutes from Wembley Central station to Marylebone Railway Station.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: February 7, 2024 16:09

bv
I do know that Wembley Stadium as of today is not the very same stadium as The Rolling Stones did perform their 12 shows in during 1982-1999. Still, anyone of the 12 x 70,000 fans,i.e. close to one million fans, who went to those shows, do have great memories from the area, arriving into Wembley Park Tube Station, or some of the others nearby, walking up to the stadium, and the shows 1982 (2), 1990 (5), 1995 (3), 1999 (2). Then packed up in an enormous queue back home the same way...

Ahead of the 2012 shows, after they did their rehearsals in Paris, and the club shows there, The Rolling Stones did their production rehearsals at Wembley Arena. Staying in the nearby Holiday Inn and IBIS, during Stones travels, walking to the nearby local pubs in off-show evenings, no tourists, locals drinking the same every night, sitting in the same places every evening, leaving at the same time, it's just a part of the local English pub culture.

For me Wembley will always be one of the key places with Stones memories, walking out of the shows back in 1982, as they played "Land of Hope and Glory", it is 42 years ago, but the memory is still giving me goosebumps, not to mention in 1990, when two of the shows were postponed into August that year, the two last shows with Bill Wyman as a permanent band member on stage.

Then do not forget Charlie Watts, nicknamed "The Wembley Whammer".

If I can, I always stay a night or two out in one of the low priced still great quality Wembley hotels during travels, the train is direct in 10 minutes from Wembley Central station to Marylebone Railway Station.

So many great points in there, Wembley will be forever iconic for the Stones. Do you think there is any likelihood that Mick and the guys will play at the 'new' Wembley stadium during the next tour? They have played in London a bunch of times since it opened but have avoived the stadium for some reason. I would love to see them play there again.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 7, 2024 19:07

IF the Stones perform in London once again, then surely Wembley Stadium should be on the cards. Hyde Park is terrific, yet seeing them at England’s national stadium would be marvellous. I just missed out in ‘99, though i did attend the Division Two Play-Off’s Final between the mighty Gillingham and Man City that very same year. Bloody Mancs! The original Wembley was such an iconic venue; steeped in history and nostalgia. I’m glad I at least got to go there.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 7, 2024 19:40

Big Al: unfortunately the new Wembley Stadium is notorious for its horrendous sound. It has been reported time and time again. Echoes all over the place. Guardian critic Alexis Petridis wrote this: “the sound at Wembley tonight recreates the experience of trying to listen to Fleetwood Mac with your head submerged in a tureen of soup”

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 7, 2024 22:37

The Worst.
Big Al: unfortunately the new Wembley Stadium is notorious for its horrendous sound. It has been reported time and time again. Echoes all over the place. Guardian critic Alexis Petridis wrote this: “the sound at Wembley tonight recreates the experience of trying to listen to Fleetwood Mac with your head submerged in a tureen of soup”

I wholeheartedly agree. The new Wembley is an abysmal music venue in my experience with muddy echoey sound. I saw 3 of their 12 shows at the old one.

Date: February 8, 2024 13:33

One of my great still stressful memories from Wembley Stadium was arriving late - very very late - for one of the shows.

I was on a flight out of Oslo Norway at 3pm, not very wise to fly on show day. The flight was canceled, and I was pushed into a 5pm flight. Luckily there is a -1h time difference to UK, but still, getting through customs takes time. I was with no luggage, rushing out for a taxi, as trains i.e. tubes through Central london did take forever those days.

The taxis said they were not going anywhere near the Wembley area, as they had both The Rolling Stones there, at the Stadium, and Prince had something like 20 shows at the Wembley Arena, one of them at the very same day.

One lucky advice told me I could take the tube "on the outside of Central London", so I took one tube through the middle of nowhere, rushed to the connecting tube, and arrived into Wembley Park tube stadion at around 8:10pm.

Knowing the Stones always start their Wembley shows at 8:20pm or so, due to the curfew 10:30pm, I was running like crazy. The walk from Wembley Park to the stadium takes 11 minutes, I did it in may be 5 minutes.

Nobody queuing to get in, I was inside in a minute, The Stones were still not on, I grabbed a beer on my way down towards the front stage area. Then they were on stage as I had a clear view of the stage. Puh!

Bjornulf

Date: February 8, 2024 13:34

One must during any London visit is of course:

Hot Stuff Archive
The Rolling Stones Museum in London
by Matt Lee

Bjornulf

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 8, 2024 13:53

That's all you need!

Date: February 9, 2024 08:35

bv
One must during any London visit is of course:

Hot Stuff Archive
The Rolling Stones Museum in London
by Matt Lee

Thank you Bjornulf, I am honoured. It wasn’t finished when you previewed and it’s constantly getting better as I acquire more great pieces or whole collections as well as my 50+ loan items returning from exhibitionism / unzipped this month!

Anyone wishing to visit hit me up and let’s work out when is convenient.

Please also contact me if you have one or many items you are looking to rehome.

Mattleeuk@gmail.com

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home