Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Historic Stones Places
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:35

dead.flowers

The street level was raised.

Yep:

[www.GettyImages.com]

Google StreetView

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:40

Irix
dead.flowers

The street level was raised.

Yep:

[www.GettyImages.com]

Google StreetView

Funny, it's actually true............. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs up

Re: Historic Stones Places in London UK
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 25, 2022 21:23

Interesting to see that those old telephone boxes are still in place. It could be because they’re the old-style, iconic type. Most of the more ‘modern’ ones are gone. I bet they are not operational though!

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: August 26, 2022 11:52

Thanks again, Marble Arch fits well in my walk in october.
I'll try to see if it looks the same there as in the picture.
Ronnie' Scotts is also on the "to see" wish list.

Did anyone know if it's worth visiting the "new" HRCs in London to see Stones objects there?
I've been to the "old" HRC (Old Park Lane) 3 times, there are quite a few very nice Stones objects there.
However, I don't know if the HRC "Marble Arch" and HRC "Picadilly" also contain Stones things that should have been seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-26 11:53 by Nankstone.

Date: August 26, 2022 18:27

Nankstone
Thanks again, Marble Arch fits well in my walk in october.
I'll try to see if it looks the same there as in the picture.
Ronnie' Scotts is also on the "to see" wish list.

Did anyone know if it's worth visiting the "new" HRCs in London to see Stones objects there?
I've been to the "old" HRC (Old Park Lane) 3 times, there are quite a few very nice Stones objects there.
However, I don't know if the HRC "Marble Arch" and HRC "Picadilly" also contain Stones things that should have been seen.

The "old" HRC at Hyde Park Corner/Old Park Lane is of course the original Hard Rock Cafe opened in 1971. The HRC Marble Arch is the Hard Rock Hotel and has a very 'Vegas' style bar and Live music every night. I do not recall seeing much Stones stuff there but fun to visit.

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: August 28, 2022 02:12

mattleeuk
A few more...

5 Wandsworth Plain - RS Office for many years
38-42 Harrington Road - Harrington Club - Ronnie's club in 2000/2001 (many autographs sourced here)
Bull's Head Barnes - Mick played with Chris here
Half Moon Putney - Stones attended and played Joe Seabrooke's wake
Astoria - Now demolished
Brixton Academy
Shepherds Bush Empire
Somerset House - Stones 50th Birthday Party - all Stones attended
Royal Albert Hall
Troubadour - Ronnie & Mick Taylor

I could go on forever with album, tour, anniversary, gig after party venues etc... current homes should be off limits. Old offices, old homes, studios etc... where do you stop? I bumped into Ronnie at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Dean Street on Friday :-)

(Ronnie never lived in the Cheyne Walk house he owned for a few years)

How about the Hot Stuff Archive?
Ronnie Wood was at Pizza Express Jazz Club...maybe He will play there with Ben Waters?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2022 03:26

maybe cause they have a Wood fired oven ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 9, 2022 15:29

Hi, i'm back from London spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
we had many impressions and experiences, even though many things went differently than originally planned.
Concerts by Abba (Avatars) and the fabulous "Analogues" at the Palladium were part of it, as were some Stones historical locations.
Due to lack of time, however, it was only places around Soho and nothing further away.
In contrast to the list from Posting No.1. we were at these 10 places:

- 100 clubs
- Pizza Express Soho
- Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club
- De Hems Bar
- RS Carnaby No. 9 shop
- Scene Club Soho (Gr. Windmill Street)
- Hard Rock Hotel (Oxford Street)
- Hard Rock Cafe (Piccadilly)
- Palladium Theater (incl. Analogues concert)
- Telephone Boxes (Marble Arch)

This leaves enough places for at least 3 more London trips ....
Thanks to the many tips and addresses from you.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 9, 2022 19:29

I was at The Half Moon in Putney last Sunday afternoon to see a pal of mine, Peter Bruntnell and his bandmates perform there.
One of his guests on stage was Jay Farrar from USA band Son Volt who was on vacation with his missus.
He knew that The Rolling Stones performed there,and the band then played Dead Flowers.
I really enjoyed the almost 3 hour gig. thumbs up

Posted by: nickdominguez ()
Date: October 10, 2022 00:45

I have 2 Spanish Tony Sanchez address books! I could advise you with some names/addresses.

Feel free to email me - nick@spanishtonymedia.com

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: October 11, 2022 16:15

The Mobile Studio Limited as indicated on the Black And Blue inner sleeve in: 17, Berners Street, W1P 3DD.
In 1987, I was there and on the goround floor was a barber's shop. The owner told me that I wasn't the only one looking for what had happened to the place then. Then, the company already had moved to Munro Terrace where I went too. And guess what; I found it out by looking in the telephone book...

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: July 1, 2023 01:28

The tongue logo I put on the sign many years ago is getting a bit faded.

[flic.kr]

Sorry not London.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-01 01:32 by cooheid.

Date: July 1, 2023 11:11

Hi cooheid,
no problem that it's not London - Pittenweem is also part of Stones history (for me) cool smiley
I was there in 2015 and also photographed the town sign (West access road), but there was no tongue on it - but you must have stuck the tongue to another town sign (East town sign or North) or later ...
Does anyone actually here have any infos as to which house was exactly where Stu spent his early childhood ?
I was hoping to ask someone locally at the time, but no one in Pittenweem was able to tell me exactly.
After all, I was then in the "Kirklatch Court" where one of the houses is said to have been Stu's former childhood home, but which one exactly ?

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: July 1, 2023 11:50

I could not identify the house either. But the houses looked a bit too modern to be the original houses. The Stones logo sticker is on the north approach to the village. The council really should at least put a plaque up at the very least me thinks.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: July 1, 2023 13:29

You can see the sticker on google maps.

Date: July 1, 2023 14:20

cooheid
I could not identify the house either. But the houses looked a bit too modern to be the original houses. The Stones logo sticker is on the north approach to the village. The council really should at least put a plaque up at the very least me thinks.

Yes, that was my impression too, that the houses there are a bit too modern, but I wasn't sure.
Of course, Stu's parents' house could also have been rebuilt, demolished or similar, sadly there are fewer and fewer authentic, historical Stones places ...
They should definitely put a plaque on the road or at the entrance to the town in memory of Pittenweem's most famous resident (is he ? - i think, yes !).

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: July 2, 2023 00:57

Wormwood Scrubs Prison Gates, Du Cane Road, London - 'The Italian Job' film (1969)

Warden
"You'll be back"

Keith
"Not on your watch"

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-02 02:47 by Zotz.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: July 3, 2023 18:00

Cheltenham Cemetary Brian Jones Grave - 2010

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 3, 2023 19:51

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Ealing Club, out by Ealing Broadway tube. Charlie played his first Stones gig there. I was lucky enough to see 3 shows there in 2018, including Chris Jagger and Ben Waters. It was slated for demolition to expand London transit but don’t think that’s happened yet.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 3, 2023 23:51

SomeTorontoGirl
I don’t think anyone has mentioned the Ealing Club, out by Ealing Broadway tube. Charlie played his first Stones gig there. I was lucky enough to see 3 shows there in 2018, including Chris Jagger and Ben Waters. It was slated for demolition to expand London transit but don’t think that’s happened yet.

I actually thought that the 'original' building was demolished - or extensively redeveloped some years back. Question mark.

During that stage of work some eagle eyed people spotted that the original sign advertising the blues sessions was in danger of being obliterated. They retrieved it and gave it to Bill Wyman.

I don't recall it being in his big sell of a few years back, so I guess he still has it?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

1st time in London- looking for Stones help
Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: August 28, 2023 19:52

Hey everyone. I'm going to London for the first time and want to hit some Stones landmarks, but it is bit overwhelming. There are so many tours and I don't necessarily want to take an all day tour. Can someone tell me what I should and should not do? Good/bad tours... or even stops I can make on my own? What is worth it and what is not worth the time. Thank you so much!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Re: 1st time in London- looking for Stones help
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 28, 2023 19:56

Hackney seems to be the place to go these days.

Re: 1st time in London- looking for Stones help
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 28, 2023 23:10

mickjagger1009

I'm going to London for the first time and want to hit some Stones landmarks, but it is bit overwhelming.

Depends on what you're most interested in. Here're some older threads of the same topic (London+Stones sites) - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] . The RS History Tour can now be found in the [Web.Archive.org] .

You can also check many sites (addresses) via Google StreetView before you go there in reality. By the way: Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers Restaurant is closed forever since June 2021.

Matt Lee's Hot Stuff Archive (Rolling Stones Museum in London) - [iorr.org] , Google Maps.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-28 23:40 by Irix.

London and The Stones
Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: February 5, 2024 22:39

I'm gonna be there in June...any places there that I must visit that are associated with The Stones? Appreciate any suggestions.

Re: London and The Stones
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 5, 2024 22:57

that zebra crossing at Abbey Road…?grinning smiley

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: February 5, 2024 22:57

thumbs up

Posted by: Tumlin73 ()
Date: February 6, 2024 00:52

I can only think of the shop in Carnaby Street.

Also the statue of Mick n Keith by Dartford train station.

Date: February 6, 2024 01:10

Edith Grove
Cheyne Walk
The Roundhouse

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: February 6, 2024 01:30

Denmark Street
Hyde Park

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 6, 2024 01:33

The former Bricklayer’s Arms in Soho (a short hop from Denmark St).

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home