Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The *unofficial* Rolling Stones in London online map
Date: April 28, 2016 15:02

The Worst.
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
Satisfaction was certainly written during the US tour in May 1965. Keith Richards and Bill Wyman have several times stated that it was written in Jack Tar Fort Harrison Hotel in Clearwater, Florida, before or after the concert in Clearwater on the 6th of May 1965. And it was recorded a few days later between May 10 and 12 in Chicago and LA. Plenty of different sources confirms this. That Hilton London story is most likely false.

Yes and no, as Keith has stated that both London and Florida was where it happened. Most frequently he has stated the latter, though smiling smiley

Yes, but it has always seemed to be the case that Satisfaction was written and recorded during the US Tour in May 1965. Keith contradicts himself a lot, so I generally trust Bill more than Keith in any case. And Bill has always stated that Keith wrote the riff and the chorus in his Clearwater hotel room, and presented the idea to Mick who wrote much of the lyrics by the pool.

The most interesting fact I find about the whole process, is that after the LA recordings 11-12th of May, The Stones voted democratically to select the next singel. Charlie, Bill and Brian voted for Satisfaction, whilst Mick and Keith voted against it. That just shows how hard it is to assess the quality of your own work I guess. (This is again according to Bill, btw.)

Yeah, I know - deliberately as well smiling smiley

It's unfathomable that they didn't all agree on promoting Satisfaction. The only reason I can think of is the suspiciously resemblance with THAT other song...

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 28, 2016 16:04

Irix
matxil

Curiously, there are no marks set at Cheltenham.

Because the name of the map is: The Rolling Stones in London -- Cheltenham is situated far outside of the Greater London Urban Area.

So why is Cotchford Farm, Redlands and Stargroves included? And if they are considered in the area then the Chichester jail/prison should maybe be included.

Nice idea Jimmy...

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 28, 2016 17:01

Their Bermondsey rehearsal-space would be a nice addition.
Important role in the story of Exile.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: April 28, 2016 17:52

I just booked my ticket to London! Can't wait to use this map and see the complete story of our legends.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 28, 2016 22:47

This is really cool. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 29, 2016 02:16

Clearwater FL is where the Glimmers *finished* Satifaction.
London is where Keith dreamed the riff.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 29, 2016 10:05

How do you know?

Date: April 29, 2016 10:22

The Worst.
How do you know?

It's one of Keith's elaborations..

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 29, 2016 12:15

One suggestion for the map: Chelsea Drugstore, King´s Road, were Mick Jagger was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy. The phrase “You Can´t Always Get What You Want” was apparently printed on Mick Jagger´s receipt.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 29, 2016 13:27

DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
How do you know?

It's one of Keith's elaborations.

Other Stones, including Mick, have also said that Clearwater was where Satisfaction was finished by the Glimmers.
The song didn't go from zero to complete overnight.

Date: April 29, 2016 13:49

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman
The Worst.
How do you know?

It's one of Keith's elaborations.

Other Stones, including Mick, have also said that Clearwater was where Satisfaction was finished by the Glimmers.
The song didn't go from zero to complete overnight.

Yep. «We wrote it in Tampa, Florida, by a swimming pool» (Mick).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 29, 2016 13:50

The Worst.
One suggestion for the map: Chelsea Drugstore, King´s Road, were Mick Jagger was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy. The phrase “You Can´t Always Get What You Want” was apparently printed on Mick Jagger´s receipt.

Chelsea Drugstore is already marked. The "quote" on the receipt is highly unlikely.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 29, 2016 16:00

How about adding Ronnie's childhood home in Whitethorn Avenue, Yiewsley? (in the far west of the map near the Grand Union Canal in West Drayton).

Ronnie also lived at Maids of Honour Row on Richmond Green for a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-29 16:10 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: April 29, 2016 20:15

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

This is the link above about The Stones hotels/flats, but it mentioned Bill stayed above his family's car dealership? That's the 1st I've ever heard of his family having a car dealership...true?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-29 20:15 by Marhsall.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 30, 2016 00:35

Marhsall

[...] it mentioned Bill stayed above his family's car dealership? That's the 1st I've ever heard of his family having a car dealership...true?

Wikipedia says his father was a bricklayer .... maybe the parents of his first wife Diane Cory (married 1959, divorced 1969) were car dealer?
Dunno - it would be interesting to know if the story of his 1st home is correct.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: April 30, 2016 03:03

Hello,

I'm sure there are many ommisions because you can't include everything in a project like this, but Brian lived at Alexis Korner's flat in Bayswater when he first moved to London, also working in Whitely's department shop (still operating today) down the road.

Declan

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: April 30, 2016 10:09

amazing!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 30, 2016 12:47

Did I remember to say that it's a great idea, and I'm finding out a lot of things I never knew.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 2, 2016 01:03

Rollin92
jimmyketchup
Hi everyone!

Many thanks for all the feedback, both on here and via email.

We'll be pushing through an update next week amending some of those mistakes and making some clarifications.

It very much is a work in progress and your feedback is invaluable in improving the map.

The claim on 'Satisfaction' came from a blog post on the Gibson guitar website which we found. But we'll check with what's been said elsewhere and amend.

With regards to some of the other points: Bricklayers Arms and Wetherby arms are both there on the map. We've all the houses on Cheyne Walk too. We'll also look into The Wick a bit more.

If you're not finding particular dots, it may be because they're hidden behind others when you're zoomed out. Make sure you zoom in and out to see the full picture!

Thanks again.

Excellent map. You may wish to add that Wyman has a house in xxxx, around the corner from Cheyne Walk.

Sorry folk. This is plain wrong.

It's one thing recording addresses like 102 Edith Grove, and Olympic Studios, etc, but publishing the current home addresses of anyone (let alone a Rolling Stone) is totally out of order.

I'll add that I have been to where Bill lives (by invitation), it's quite a short street. In addition there was actually a doorstep murder there not many years ago.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 10:30 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 2, 2016 05:17

Great job with the interactive Stones map.

I would love to see you do the same thing for New York City when Exhibition crosses the pond.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 2, 2016 17:21

jimmyketchup
Hi everyone

Music Heritage UK has just released a new interactive online map of the Rolling Stones in London. Covering over 200 points, the map charts the concerts, studios, homes, hang-outs and more of the Stones in London.

We've really enjoyed researching and making this and we wanted to make something which appealed to the hardcore fan as much as the casual.

You can view the map on our site here:
http://musicheritageuk.org/maps/stones-in-london.html

It is also fully embeddable, just click on the top right icon for options.

We'd really appreciate any feedback you might have... you guys are the experts! I'm sure we've forgotten about a few potential entries. You can email any ideas and feedback to info [at] musicheritageuk.org.

Please do bear in mind that we currently can't embed audio/video but are hoping to add this functionality soon and will upgrade the map with relevant content when this happens.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Quite simply - - awesome! thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 2, 2016 19:12

With 100 plus "other locations" it is indeed, an extensive piece of work. I'm not aware of anything more comprehensive on the net or elsewhere?
There will obviously be some omissions and mistakes but the guys ought to be congratulated for their efforts.
I will check the map again, I may have missed these but if not will let the authors know, up to them if they wish to use:
-Brian's various abodes, prior to his Cothford purchase in London
-Their current homes (all available via the net)(but agreed, maybe best not to advertise)
-Ronnie's Art Gallery
-Offices, in addition to those mentioned incl Bill's Ripple offices on the Kings Road
-the infamous" garage incident" location
-Mick Jagger Centre
Some of these maybe on, not checked in full as yet.

Posted by: jimmyketchup ()
Date: May 2, 2016 21:48

Thanks for all of the continuing suggestions for entries on the map.

I'd just like to make it clear that we're not intending to help stalkers, so we won't be adding locations which are currently owned/in use by the Stones and their immediate family.

Where there is a historical justification for inclusion on the map (i.e. Redlands), we've moved to the closest 'location' on the map (i.e. the village/town/suburb) and made it clear that this is the case in the display window.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 3, 2016 00:54

jimmyketchup
Thanks for all of the continuing suggestions for entries on the map.

I'd just like to make it clear that we're not intending to help stalkers, so we won't be adding locations which are currently owned/in use by the Stones and their immediate family.

Where there is a historical justification for inclusion on the map (i.e. Redlands), we've moved to the closest 'location' on the map (i.e. the village/town/suburb) and made it clear that this is the case in the display window.

Good. Many - eg Cotchford - are private residences of people who have no Stones connections and their personal privacy needs to be respected.

Historic Stones Places in London UK
Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: August 23, 2022 12:50

Hello folks,
is there a kind of list of still existing authentic places in the long Stones history ?
So places, houses, theaters, clubs etc. that are still the way they were when the Stones were there (at least partially)
Maybe there is already a thread about it ?

I'm planning a short trip to London (my wife wants to see the ABBA thing and I'm going to check it out to see if that's an option for the Stones from... well maybe 2030)

Of course I've been to quite a few places in my last 3 trips, but maybe you still have something that I might have forgotten?
Here are the places we have visited so far (even if some things are not quite the same as before) most of them only from the outside, of course, but some also from the inside.

already visited :
01-Bricklayer's Arms, Broadwick Street 7 (Soho)
02-The Ivy, West Street 5 (Soho)
03-Regent Sound Studio, Denmark Street 4 (Soho)
04-Marquee Club, Oxford Street 165 (Soho) (original "Marquee Club" Wardour Street)
05-Prince Charles Cinema, Leicester Place 7 (Soho)
06-Saville Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue 135 (Soho)
07-Palladium, Argyll Street 8 (Soho)
08-Flamingo Jazz Club, Wardour Street 33 (Soho)
09-Ken Colyer Club (Studio 51), Great Newport Street 10-11 (Soho)
10-Stones WG, Edith Grove 102 (Chelsea)
11-Mick & Marianne, Cheyne Walk 48 (Chelsea)
12-Keith & Anita, Cheyne Walk 3 (Chelsea)
13-Mick & L'Wren, Cheyne Walk 98 (Chelsea)
14-Ron & Eva, Cheyne Walk 103 (Chelsea)
15-Chelsea Drugstore, Kings Road 49 (Chelsea)
16-Wetherby Arms, Kings Road 500 (Chelsea) - (destroyed)
17-Sticky Fingers, Phillimore Gardens (Kensington) (now closed)
18-Queensgate Hotel, Queensgate 54 (Kensington)
19-Downe House, Richmond Hill 116 (Richmond)
20-The Wick, Richmond Hill 144 (Richmond)
21-Crawdaddy Club, One Kew Road 1 (Richmond)
22-Olympic Studios, Church Road 117 (Barnes)
23-New Vicoria Theatre (Victoria) (today Apollo Victoria Theatre)

yet to visit :
01-"De Hem" Pub", Macclesfield Street 11 (Soho)
02-Roundhouse, Chalk Farm Road (Camden)
03-IBC Studios, Portland Place 35 (Marleybone) ???
04-Decca Studios, 165 Broadhurst Gardens (West Hampstead) ???
05-Ealing Jazz Club, The Broadway 42a (Ealing) (today "Room Club")
06-London School of Economics, Houghton Street (Holborn)
07-The 100 Club, Oxford Street 100 (Soho)
08-Nicky Hopkins Memory Bank, Perivale Park (Ealing)
09-Eal Pie Islands (Twickenham) - (destroyed - re-opened 2016 (Museum not on the island)) ???
10-Carnaby Shop Nr. 9 (Carnaby Street Nr.9) - Soho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-23 22:53 by bv.

Re: Historic Stones Places
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 23, 2022 13:13

Impressive list! But probably there are something interesting to see in Dartford. At least one railway stop...

- Doxa

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 23, 2022 13:16

Dartford Train Station?

What about Mick's (Denver Road, Dartford) and Keith's (Chastilian Road, Dartford) and Ronnie's (Yiewsley, Hillingdon) family homes, where they grew up?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 23, 2022 13:35

London, 33 Mapesbury Road - where Mick, Keith & A.L.Oldham lived in 1963-64.

London, 18 Powis Square - Brian wrote a letter on 2-Jul-1962 about the RS-lineup - [iorr.org] .

London, 46a Maddox Street - former RS Headquarter.

London, 69 New Oxford St. - former RS-Records Office - [iorr.org] .

Cindy P's Stones-History-Tour - [Web.Archive.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-23 14:05 by Irix.

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: August 23, 2022 13:37

Sure - but i visited the most places in Dartford and Cheltenham some years ago winking smiley

This trip only London please.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 23, 2022 13:42

Chess Studios on the South Side of Chicago smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home