Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Historic Stones Places
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 23, 2022 13:57

Sidcup Art College, Grassington Road, Sidcup, Greater London.

Date: August 23, 2022 13:59

Ealing Art College, St Mary's Road, Ealing, London.

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: August 23, 2022 14:16

Thanks so far Irix and dead flowers !

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 23, 2022 14:18

The Gore hotel.
[rollingstonesdata.com]

Date: August 23, 2022 14:48

Charlie's birth place: University College Hospital (UCH), Euston Road, Camden, London.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 23, 2022 15:55

No, the Eel Pie Island museum is not on the island, but a few minutes walk away on the mainland. No Stones-era venue survives on the island, though if you are in Twickenham it's worth taking time to visit the riverside.

[www.eelpiemuseum.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-23 15:59 by Green Lady.

Date: August 23, 2022 16:24

Thanks erikjjf, my information is that the Beggars Banquet Party was at the Queens Gate Hotel (Queensgate 54) Kensington.
Perhaps the name has changed from Gore Hotel ?

Thanks also Green Lady - yes i read that the Museum is on the mainland and now nothing can be visited for stonesfans on the island. Sadly.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 23, 2022 16:49

6 Spielman Road, Dartford - Keith spent most of his childhood and teenage years there. I don’t think the Richards’ were at the Chastilian Road address for that many years after Keith’s birth. You have Mick’s childhood home in the hamlet of Wilmington, Dartford Grammar, Dartford Railway Station and the old Livingstone Hospital.

Date: August 23, 2022 18:12

2 Munro Terrace, Chelsea: Former RS Office.

Great Marlborough Street Magistrates Court, 19-21 Great Marlborough Street, W1F, now Courthouse Hotel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-23 18:13 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 24, 2022 00:02

TheGreek
Chess Studios on the South Side of Chicago smiling smiley

What's the address again? smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2022 02:40

dead.flowers

Great Marlborough Street Magistrates Court, 19-21 Great Marlborough Street, W1F, now Courthouse Hotel.

Again thanks, dead flowers.
By the way, i didn't found the adress "2 Munro Terrace" in Chelsea, but the tip with the Courthouse Hotel and possibly the Ealing Art College fits in well with my walk, which will probably mainly lead to Soho, Kensington and Ealing.

Re: Historic Stones Places in London UK
Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 24, 2022 03:38

A few more...

5 Wandsworth Plain - RS Office for many years
38-42 Harrington Road - Harrington Club - Ronnie's club in 2000/2001 (many autographs sourced here)
Bull's Head Barnes - Mick played with Chris here
Half Moon Putney - Stones attended and played Joe Seabrooke's wake
Astoria - Now demolished
Brixton Academy
Shepherds Bush Empire
Somerset House - Stones 50th Birthday Party - all Stones attended
Royal Albert Hall
Troubadour - Ronnie & Mick Taylor

I could go on forever with album, tour, anniversary, gig after party venues etc... current homes should be off limits. Old offices, old homes, studios etc... where do you stop? I bumped into Ronnie at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Dean Street on Friday :-)

(Ronnie never lived in the Cheyne Walk house he owned for a few years)

How about the Hot Stuff Archive?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 24, 2022 05:03

DGA35
TheGreek
Chess Studios on the South Side of Chicago smiling smiley

What's the address again? smiling smiley

Pretty sure it's on Milwaukee Avenue.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 24, 2022 08:50

Don't forget 102 Edith Grove, SW10 where Mick, Keith and Brian shared a flat in 1962/63 ...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 24, 2022 09:15

Meise
Don't forget 102 Edith Grove, SW10 where Mick, Keith and Brian shared a flat in 1962/63 ...

It's No.10 on the original poster's list.

BUT - it's so hugely important that it deserves to be on the list at least twice!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 24, 2022 12:04

Meise

see post #1 - i visited Edith Groove two times, at one time i have a short look inside and see the steps.

mattleeuk
A few more...

5 Wandsworth Plain - RS Office for many years
38-42 Harrington Road - Harrington Club - Ronnie's club in 2000/2001 (many autographs sourced here)
Bull's Head Barnes - Mick played with Chris here
Half Moon Putney - Stones attended and played Joe Seabrooke's wake
Astoria - Now demolished
Brixton Academy
Shepherds Bush Empire
Somerset House - Stones 50th Birthday Party - all Stones attended
Royal Albert Hall
Troubadour - Ronnie & Mick Taylor

I could go on forever with album, tour, anniversary, gig after party venues etc... current homes should be off limits. Old offices, old homes, studios etc... where do you stop? I bumped into Ronnie at Pizza Express Jazz Club, Dean Street on Friday :-)

(Ronnie never lived in the Cheyne Walk house he owned for a few years)

How about the Hot Stuff Archive?

Big thanks Matt for the adresses, infos and your incredible videos of the tour !
The offer for the Hot Stuff Archive would of course be a nice thing, if the time was right.
We are from 1st to 4th October in London.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 24, 2022 12:45

Nankstone
Sure - but i visited the most places in Dartford and Cheltenham some years ago winking smiley

This trip only London please.

I saw somewhere that the 5 phone boxes that the original line up were photographed outside in the early days are still there. At Marble Arch apparently but I stand ready to be corrected!

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: August 24, 2022 12:54

Could someone please explain the connection with The Ivy, West Street please (number 2 on the original post list).

Is that the restaurant ?

thank you.

Date: August 24, 2022 13:06

Nankstone
dead.flowers

Again thanks, dead flowers.
By the way, i didn't found the adress "2 Munro Terrace" in Chelsea, but the tip with the Courthouse Hotel and possibly the Ealing Art College fits in well with my walk, which will probably mainly lead to Soho, Kensington and Ealing.

What I found is: 2, Munro Terrace, Cheyne Walk, London SW10 0DL.

Google gives a few hits for that address. Seems to be off Cheyne Walk, about 200 m to the west of Albert Bridge, on the corner with Riley Street.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: August 24, 2022 13:57

Ambassadors Theatre - West Street London WC2H 9ND

Great gigs with Ronnie back in 2010smiling smiley

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 24, 2022 14:10

Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.

Date: August 24, 2022 14:20

"The Ivy" on West Street was an original hang out of many celebrities. Ronnie was commissioned by Andrew Lloyd-Webber and painted a triptych of many of those guests which included Mick Jagger. "The" Ivy now has many locations so isn't really THE anymore. The other branches aren't anywhere near as exclusive or expensive but they are leveraging the brand.

The Ivy club, upstairs from the restaurant, is where the after parties were held for the Ronnie Gig's at the Ambassadors Theatre as well as the Boogie for Stu gigs. It's also where I was a last minute addition to Ronnie's pub quiz team and where I met him when the test press for Live In London had arrived.

The Ivy painting was first exhibited at The Royal Academy of Art on Piccadilly and Mick and Ronnie both attended. Ronnie later did an after dinner speech there and auctioned a ballet painting for charity. The Ivy painting was then moved to Drury Lane Theatre, famous for where Mick came out to sing Dance at a Ronnie solo show there.

How could anyone forget Ronnie Scott's!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 24, 2022 15:40

CaptainCorella
Meise

BUT - it's so hugely important that it deserves to be on the list at least twice!

I didn't notice, sorry. But thanks for the hint and comment!
But hey, what about Wormwood Scrubs prison? 160 Du Cane Rd ...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 24, 2022 15:59

Meise
CaptainCorella
Meise

I didn't notice, sorry. But thanks for the hint and comment!
But hey, what about Wormwood Scrubs prison? 160 Du Cane Rd ...

And Brixton Prison. Keith was in Wormwood, whilst Mick was in Brixton, right?

Date: August 24, 2022 16:15

exhpart
Nankstone
Sure - but i visited the most places in Dartford and Cheltenham some years ago winking smiley

I saw somewhere that the 5 phone boxes that the original line up were photographed outside in the early days are still there. At Marble Arch apparently but I stand ready to be corrected!

The phone boxes are indeed still in place on Bayswater Road at Marble Arch.....as can be seen from this recent picture from the 'Hot Stuff Now and Then' series of pictures -

Date: August 24, 2022 20:21

Manofwealthandtaste

Made famous by the photo of Manofwealthandtaste!

One could do a lot worse than visiting sites they were photographed in as Manofwealthandtaste did in the Hot Stuff "campaign"! More of a treasure hunt

Date: August 25, 2022 00:39

Yes correct mattleeuk !

For me it's just a pleasure to find places here and there that still exist in connection with the history of the Stones.
Before it all really goes away I just want to see some places, whether it was straight out of the sixties or later, it's a little bit of an adventure to try.
For example in Cheltenham I met someone who knew Brian from before he moved to London, he showed us the place in St Marys Church where he was singing in the church choir with Brian etc. He gave us other addresses to visit in Cheltenham etc.
On one of our 4 previous trips to Scotland it was of course a "must" to stop in Pittenweem and go in search of Stu's roots.
At the after show party at "Bothy" Edinburgh 2018 I met Georges, who was supposed to teach Mick, Ron & Bill how to play golf at Loch Lomond in the 90s as Guest Manager... it turned out to be a long evening at the "Bothy Bar" - I think Georges still has holes in his stomach from my many questions...
In Stockholm 2017 I was in the Kungliga tennis halls, I asked if there were places/things that remind of the Stones history and was promptly led by the manager to a kind of "ancestral gallery" (which is usually closed to visitors) where there are also photos of the Stones performance issued on 04/01/1965 (besides photos of the Beatles, John McEnroe, Bjorn Borg etc.) ...

What I actually want to say, I just really enjoy researching these things / places and this often results in experiences that you cannot plan and that are sometimes incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-25 02:06 by Nankstone.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 25, 2022 01:56

Manofwealthandtaste
exhpart
Nankstone

The phone boxes are indeed still in place on Bayswater Road at Marble Arch.....as can be seen from this recent picture from the 'Hot Stuff Now and Then' series of pictures -

Jeeez, how tall is that guy in the colour photo? - if Mick is 5'9" he must be 6'9"......?

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 25, 2022 06:49

EddieByword
Manofwealthandtaste
exhpart
Nankstone

Jeeez, how tall is that guy in the colour photo? - if Mick is 5'9" he must be 6'9"......?

Eh? The phone boxes have been out in the rain for the past 60+ years. They've shrunk. The recent photo is of someone of average height.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 25, 2022 13:14

CaptainCorella
EddieByword
Manofwealthandtaste
exhpart
Nankstone

Eh? The phone boxes have been out in the rain for the past 60+ years. They've shrunk. The recent photo is of someone of average height.

The street level was raised.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home