Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Shine A Light
Date: April 13, 2016 13:19

SHINE A LIGHT

Label: Universal Music
Release date: April 1, 2008
Recorded in New York City at The Beacon Theater on October 29 and November 1, 2006

Track list:

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Shattered
She Was Hot
All Down the Line
Loving Cup
As Tears Go By
Some Girls
Just My Imagination
Far Away Eyes
Champagne & Reefer
Tumbling Dice
You Got the Silver
Connection
Sympathy for the Devil
Live with Me
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Paint It Black
Little T&A
I'm Free
Shine a Light

Japanese issue includes the following bonus track:

Undercover of the Night

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 13:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Shine A Light
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 13:35

This is one of their all-time-greatest live albums! It´s oh so thrilling. The setlist is superb and the Stones deliver impressive performances, I was blown away at first listening, absolutely marvelous.

The DVD of course is even more impressive - by far the best concert movie of the Stones ever, captured in a small venue by a great director and a great camera crew.

Date: April 13, 2016 13:39

In Crossfire Hurricane, when All Down The Line comes on, it really surpasses the 1981 clip shown right prior to it. A great version performed with unbelievable energy.

The rest of the show isn't on the same level, imo, although there are some good ones here (Shattered, I'm Free, Shine A Light, As Tears Go By and Some Girls).

Connection and Little T+A are downright poor, especially the former. Undercover (Of The Night) is beyond sloppy.

One of the few Stones albums that could benefit on having the guitars less up front at times, imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 13:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 13:39

I really love it, despite the fact that Mick's vocals could be better on various tracks. To me highlights are:

Jumpin' Jack Flash
She Was Hot
Loving Cup
As Tears Go By
Some Girls
Just My Imagination
Far Away Eyes
Champagne & Reefer

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 13, 2016 13:46

It starts off spectacularly good. These first four songs really get my spirits high.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 13, 2016 13:47

SPLENDIDO!

Their best since Ya Ya's....thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 13, 2016 13:53

The streak

Some Girls

Just My Imagination

Far Away Eyes

Champagne & Reefer

is excellent. The add-ons Shine a Light, I'm Free, too. The rest ist mediocre or horrible (Keith solo on SFTD is a hot candidate for the worst solo of all time). Not a must-have. One of the numerous products of an Oldie band, unfortunately.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 14:00

HMS
This is one of their all-time-greatest live albums! It´s oh so thrilling. The setlist is superb and the Stones deliver impressive performances, I was blown away at first listening, absolutely marvelous.

The DVD of course is even more impressive - by far the best concert movie of the Stones ever, captured in a small venue by a great director and a great camera crew.

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 14:04

"Horrible" versions on SAL? I disagree. It varied from decent to excellent IMO.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 13, 2016 14:17

I have a vague memory actually owning this album. But I can't remember ever listening to it. I guess seeing the movie was a turn-off. (With one exception though - C & R with Buddy Guy).

Date: April 13, 2016 14:22

When Buddy didn't understand that C&R was a 13 bar blues, I understood that it wouldn't end nicely... The song never recovered after he started singing (or did they correct his mistake after a couple of minutes)

It's a fun version just the same smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 13, 2016 14:28

I never understood that either (not being a musician) but it worked for me anyway. Apparently it worked for Buddy too. His "singing" literally blew them away!

Date: April 13, 2016 14:36

Stoneage
I never understood that either (not being a musician) but it worked for me anyway. Apparently it worked for Buddy too. His "singing" literally blew them away!

All the power in his lovely voice vanished when he sang on top of the wrong chords for minutes. He's one of the few that could pull it off, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 13, 2016 14:50

Really their worst live effort, and probably even among their worst gigs. It's mainly Richards, whom still seems to be suffering from his palmtree accident. BUt also Jagger's not in fine form, he really is trying too hard.

Mathijs

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 15:10

Mathijs
Really their worst live effort, and probably even among their worst gigs. It's mainly Richards, whom still seems to be suffering from his palmtree accident. BUt also Jagger's not in fine form, he really is trying too hard.

Mathijs

Respectfully disagree my friend, as did the writer of this review:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 13, 2016 15:16

Never cared for this one. Somehow the energy feels fake, the guitar section doesn't deliver and Jagger (like Mathijs stated) sounds forced.

Definately their least interesting live release.

Date: April 13, 2016 15:33

The thread inspired me to listen to it again.
Must say there's a lot to be enjoyed indeed. Some girls and Just my imagination are
really good. I prefer this version of Just my imagination even to the Hampton version,
but that's mostly to blame on Ernie Watts, who gets on my nerves.

Date: April 13, 2016 15:44

marcovandereijk
Must say there's a lot to be enjoyed indeed. Some girls and Just my imagination are
really good. I prefer this version of Just my imagination even to the Hampton version,

And Keith is not getting on your nerves on the SAL-version of Imagination?

Good! smiling smiley

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 13, 2016 15:57

Keith ranges from mediocre to lousy here and is clearly nowhere near being in fine form. Jagger is overdoing it. I do enjoy "She Was Hot" and "Loving Cup", as well as "Champagne and Reefer", but the rest is pretty forgettable.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 13, 2016 16:00

1. Great guitar-driven album (listen to SFTD on headphones just to hear the guitars responding to each other)
2. Good set list
3. Good mix
4. Good choices for the featurings
5. Maybe not as good as Sweet Summer Sun, but in their best 5 live albums

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 13, 2016 16:01

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk

Good! smiling smiley

Almost everyone gets on my nerves on the entire album which in theory could have been a "modern El Mocambo" but fails to deliver anything that comes close to the old Stones magic and excitement.

Date: April 13, 2016 16:03

DandelionPowderman

Good! smiling smiley

That's typical Keith guitar playing if you ask me. The effectiveness is not in the speed
or the number of notes played, but in the space he creates between his licks.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 13, 2016 16:42

HonkeyTonkFlash
Mathijs

Mathijs

Respectfully disagree my friend, as did the writer of this review:
[www.rollingstone.com]

First paragraph from ^ RS magazine review:
The first time you play Shine a Light, avoid checking the set list. Let each song surprise you. You'll ask, "Hey, isn't that the intro to 'Some Girls'? No way — 'Far Away Eyes'? WTF, 'All Down the Line'?"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:19

DandelionPowderman
SHINE A LIGHT

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Easily their worst live album. Just horrible. It's so bad I deleted it from my media player. It's the sound of a very seriously tired band that sounds like it has no interest whatsoever in what it's doing. Shattered could be the one good track on it but Ronnie takes a shit on the soloing and just plays chords.

The movie is at least entertaining to watch but even since that's so bad I've only seen it twice, with the second time being one time too many. Scorsese is an idiot with his incessant prattling about nothing yet alone his fictitious drama.

It's the DIRTY WORK of their live releases: it should be deleted from the discography.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:41

Very weak album - the performance is like a side show at the circus.
Should have never been officially released.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:42

RobertJohnson
The streak

Some Girls

Just My Imagination

Far Away Eyes

Champagne & Reefer

is excellent. The add-ons Shine a Light, I'm Free, too. The rest ist mediocre or horrible (Keith solo on SFTD is a hot candidate for the worst solo of all time). Not a must-have. One of the numerous products of an Oldie band, unfortunately.
Spot on.
In the appreciation list this one comes in very low for me.
Much prefer live licks to this for instance

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:46

I have only seen the DVD and thought the music quality so bad, that I never listened to the CD. Then again, on the DVD, whenever one of them comes in the picture, his or her sound is amplified with respect to the rest, which really p***es me off. I assume that this does not happen on the CD. Then again, reading all the reviews above, I think I'll pass.

Date: April 13, 2016 17:50

matxil
I have only seen the DVD and thought the music quality so bad, that I never listened to the CD. Then again, on the DVD, whenever one of them comes in the picture, his or her sound is amplified with respect to the rest, which really p***es me off. I assume that this does not happen on the CD. Then again, reading all the reviews above, I think I'll pass.

It doesn't but it doesn't matter, it's still crap. Good move to pass.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 18:37

Would rather pass YaYa´s than Shine A Light...
It would not have been released officially if it was that bad. At least it would have been heavily overdubbed, which it isnt to my knowledge, so it seems MJ who´s known to be very critical liked it.

The performances are vital and full of energy - and the playing/singing is damn sure better than Hampton for instance. God knows I love Shine A Light!

I would recommend to buy it - if only for completing the collection. I fully agree with the Rolling-Stones-Magazine-guy.

And Keith´s playing isnt lousy, it comes directly from the heart of Rock n Roll, deep and pure. The sounds he produces on SAL are Rock n Roll-magic.

Date: April 13, 2016 18:52

THE BIGGEST BANG was released officially and that's quite bad. In fact it's unwatchable, just like SHINE A LIGHT is unwatchable and unlistenable.

DIRTY WORK was released officially and it's an embarrassment to The Rolling Stones, to rock'n'roll and to Stones fans.

You, HMS, pass on excellent musicianship (GYYYO!) for something pathetic (SAL). Par for the course.

When you say "The performances are vital and full of energy - and the playing/singing is damn sure better than Hampton for instance." you're describing GYYYO, not SAL.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home