Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Shine A Light
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:01

HMS
Would rather pass YaYa´s than Shine A Light...
It would not have been released officially if it was that bad. At least it would have been heavily overdubbed, which it isnt to my knowledge, so it seems MJ who´s known to be very critical liked it.

The performances are vital and full of energy - and the playing/singing is damn sure better than Hampton for instance. God knows I love Shine A Light!

I would recommend to buy it - if only for completing the collection. I fully agree with the Rolling-Stones-Magazine-guy.

And Keith´s playing isnt lousy, it comes directly from the heart of Rock n Roll, deep and pure. The sounds he produces on SAL are Rock n Roll-magic.

HMS,
have you ever thought of working in the Stones promotion department? I honestly can't think of any better person able to promote career lowpoints like Dirty Work and Shine A Light as holy grails of Rock 'n Roll. Seriously!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 19:01 by alimente.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:04

@GLS
The Biggest-Bang-package took me by storm. It´s excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-13 19:06 by HMS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:07

HMS
@GLS

That's so not a surprise. You just love things that are bad!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:12

GasLightStreet
HMS
@GLS

Either that or he's just pulling our legs all the time.

Date: April 13, 2016 19:31

alimente
GasLightStreet
HMS
@GLS

Either that or he's just pulling our legs all the time.

Indeed, that is probably it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 13, 2016 20:37

Varied strong opinions here, are the 'can't stand it' folks
bootleg collectors/ secret computer file of RS unofficial live internationally shared by hard core fans? I don't possess the skill or patience to tweek (yet) into this area,
So, rare live gems in my avail. audio collection, and the band/music itself pretty damn good.
My setlist:
JJF
Some Girls (c'mon, this is a rare blast)
JMI (she doesn't @#$%& know me!)
Tumbling Dice (never, ever a warhorse to me, take it every time)
Undercover (rocks man)
Little T&A (for all you dissin' Keith here, knock it off and hear him perform this: KEITH)
Shine A Light (because, it is SAL, but depressing somehow and not a good end, so)
Sympathy For The Devil (see TD explanation)
^^ yep that's all GOLD to me.
As for the DVD, yes I've seen it a few times, but I'm more of a listener than a watcher, sometimes Jagger's torso can be distracting ;-)

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 20:39

I´m honestly not trying to pull someone´s leg. Just like DW and SAL. But sure cannot understand how anyone can be left unsatisfied with the Biggest-Bang-set.

Date: April 13, 2016 21:22

Because it sucks!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 13, 2016 21:23

I just Went thru complete Shine a light...the song with Buddy Guy didn't got me completly sea-sick either thumbs up

..and right now is ABB spinning on track 2.....baby baby let me down real slow....Heavy rock'n'roll here too...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 21:36

How the hell did A Bigger Bang get roped into this? A Bigger Band and Four Flicks illustrate how much better the Stones got at delivering their own concerts. Scorcesee added nothing to their legacy. I find Shine A Light unwatchable except for Buddy Guy and maybe As Tears Go By for the sheer rarity of it, and to see the ravages of age. (And now it's ten years later!).

A Bigger Bang has some great footage in Argentina, a fantastic Midnight Rambler in China, and of course Bob Wills is Still the King in Zilker Park. In fact I was quite happy with 4 Flicks and A Bigger Bang until they started releasing the REALLY good stuff from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I haven't watched either Flicks or Bang in quite a while now. But I never get the urge to play Shine A Light.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 23:46

I've always like SAL - recently when revisiting it I finally gave the CD a blast again (mostly it's the DVD I watch) and really enjoyed it. I honestly think it's quite a cracking performance on many of the songs; not in the same league as Ya Ya's but on 'Some Girls', 'Undercover'(love the guitars!), 'She Was Hot' (got one of the best reactions both times I saw it in cinema) and perhaps the highlight - 'All Down the Line', they sound bloody great!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2016 23:58

IrelandCalling4
I've always like SAL - recently when revisiting it I finally gave the CD a blast again (mostly it's the DVD I watch) and really enjoyed it. I honestly think it's quite a cracking performance on many of the songs; not in the same league as Ya Ya's but on 'Some Girls', 'Undercover'(love the guitars!), 'She Was Hot' (got one of the best reactions both times I saw it in cinema) and perhaps the highlight - 'All Down the Line', they sound bloody great!

thumbs up Right on...and to be fair...NOTHING is in the same league as Ya Ya's!

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: April 14, 2016 00:08

Love its sound and its setlist.

Date: April 14, 2016 00:32

HonkeyTonkFlash
IrelandCalling4

thumbs up Right on...and to be fair...NOTHING is in the same league as Ya Ya's!

Don't forget the Roundhouse (without overdubs) winking smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 14, 2016 02:07

There was also a 1-CD release in the USA (Polydor B0010960-02) featuring a slightly different cover argtwork and with the following tracklist :

1 Jumpin' Jack Flash
2 Shattered
3 She Was Hot
4 All Down The Line
5 Loving Cup (With Jack White III)
6 As Tears Go By
7 Some Girls
8 Just My Imagination
9 Faraway Eyes
10 Champagne & Reefer (With Buddy Guy)
11 Band Introductions
12 You Got The Silver
13 Connection
14 Sympathy For The Devil
15 Live With Me (With Christina Aguilera)
16 Start Me Up
17 Brown Sugar

Missing songs (when compared to the 2-CD version) :
Tumbling Dice, Satisfaction, Paint It Black, Little T&A, I'm Free, Shine A Light.

[www.discogs.com]

Date: April 14, 2016 03:19

Beacon Theatre concerts original setlists :

Oct 29 2006

1 Start Me Up
2 Shattered
3 She Was Hot
4 All Down the Line
5 Loving Cup (with Jack White)
6 As Tears Go By
7 I'm Free
8 Undercover of the Night
9 Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
10 Shine a Light
11 Champagne & Reefer (with Buddy Guy)
12 Tumbling Dice
13 You Got the Silver
14 Little T&A
15 Sympathy for the Devil
16 Live With Me (with Christina Aguilera)
17 Paint It Black
18 Jumpin' Jack Flash
Encore:
19 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Nov 1 2006

1 Jumpin' Jack Flash
2 Shattered
3 She Was Hot
4 All Down the Line
5 Loving Cup (with Jack White)
6 As Tears Go By
7 I'm Free
8 Some Girls
9 Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
10 Far Away Eyes
11 Champagne & Reefer (with Buddy Guy)
12 Tumbling Dice
13 You Got the Silver
14 Connection
15 Sympathy for the Devil
16 Live With Me (with Christina Aguilera)
17 Honky Tonk Women
18 Start Me Up
Encore:
19 Brown Sugar
20 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

[www.setlist.fm]
[www.setlist.fm]

*According to www.zentgraf.de , all of the 2-CD tracks are from the second concert (November 1st), except for 3 of the bonus tracks (Paint It Black, Little T&A, Shine A Light).
Actually the only song missing from the November 1st concert is Honky Tonk Women.

Date: April 14, 2016 16:04

Terrible album. Like someone else here I saw the DVD, and was so turned off by it, I never bothered with audio disc. It represents everything that has gone in the crapper in Stonesland. The extra pressure of Scorsese's cameras probably only made matters worse. Everything felt forced to me; even Keith gifting that guitar.
One poster mentions that if it was that bad then Jagger, the perfectionist would not have released it. But that is part of the problem: he is the one with the ultimate say-so, yet he is way out of touch.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 14, 2016 16:17

A funny thing is, that at first I was rather positively surprised by Christina Aguilera,
of whom I'd never heard any music before. I thought she had a rather powerful contribution
to Live with me.
But after listening to it again (it had been a while, I must admit) I have to admit
that her pointless screaming over the instrumental break has a rather annoying effect.
Maybe I should watch the DVD again to see if she makes up for that with visible qualities
(I don't actually remember these, though I can strongly recall the visuals of Lisa,
so I guess it was disappointing).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-14 16:18 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 14, 2016 17:12

Fantastic live album !!!

Date: April 15, 2016 01:58

Just finished to listen again to this album and it's great from start to finish.
Possibly the first time they put out a live album made from a single show (November 1st show) and to me that's what makes this album better than say Live Licks, No Security, Flashpoint...
Put back I'm Free between As Tears Go By and Some Girls and it makes the flow even better. They should have labelled the 4 last tracks as "bonus track", it would have made things clearer.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 02:27

i think shine a light has the more variable setlist than any other stones live album and most of the songs are delivered with energy and enthusiasm.

i always find it hard to rank live albums than studio albums but shine a light is close to being the best of the later bunch.

i still love yaya,s and love you live from the earlier days although the setlists on these tend to be less varied.

shine a light also dosent flood the album with a lot of late 60,s songs, and gives the mid 60,s a bit of recognition which most other stones live albums never seem to do.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home