Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 51
Re: Totally Stripped
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 4, 2016 19:23

Region issues. To my fellow American fiends/fans I just tried the Paradiso Bluray on my U.S. system and it plays. Furthermore, now I understand the U.S. Amazon price better, it's a made in Germany box set, so you pay customs tax I suppose. Kind of strange in my opinion since I believe most of the market may be in the U.S. Hope this answers or calms some the concerns. Cheers.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 4, 2016 19:36

Japanese blu ray's have the same regio code as U.S. blu rays. Everyone in The States won't have any problems with playin those.

Japanes dvd's are the same regio code as in Europe.

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: June 4, 2016 19:51

Happy:-)

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 4, 2016 20:36

JMARKO

2. The picture quality on these Blu-Rays is terrible. Look like first gen VHS. Dark, saturated, not very sharp. They've done better with material from the 70s and 80s.

that's great news! I already wondered whether it's only the DVDs' poor picture quality - quite grainy. Those shows as well as the Tokyo session were professionally filmed and the mid-90s surely weren't the middle ages of film technology. The picture quality of Hampton 81 is much better

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-04 20:36 by slewan.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 4, 2016 20:52

Having watched the Paradiso, I am wondering if the video was edited recently. It has the same jarring cuts as Sweet Summer Sun, where shots of each musician last approximately 5 seconds (with some exceptions). Speaking for myself, it really puts a damper on an otherwise excellent show. I also wasn't crazy about the aspect ratio but nothing to be done about that.

Still happy with the purchase, no regrets.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 4, 2016 21:08

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 19:19 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 4, 2016 21:42

GJV
Japanese blu ray's have the same regio code as U.S. blu rays. Everyone in The States won't have any problems with playin those.

Japanes dvd's are the same region code as in Europe.

It could still give you trouble though. My PlayStation 3 won't play the LA Forum '75 dvd. It plays everything else fine, which makes it even stranger. I've tried every available country, and it still doesn't play. I hope I won't have an issue with Totally Stripped. My brother got his copy today, the bastard, and he's coming over so we can watch some of it. I really hope there'll be no problems.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 4, 2016 21:51

I have a regio free blu ray player, but I have to adjust it to the right regio code before I use a blu ray (dvd's all play on it anyway). When I played the first disc (Paradiso) I forgot all about it, but it played here in The Netherlands mighty fine, so they probably are regio free, like UrbanSteel said.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: June 5, 2016 01:16

slewan
JMARKO

2. The picture quality on these Blu-Rays is terrible. Look like first gen VHS. Dark, saturated, not very sharp. They've done better with material from the 70s and 80s.

that's great news! I already wondered whether it's only the DVDs' poor picture quality - quite grainy. Those shows as well as the Tokyo session were professionally filmed and the mid-90s surely weren't the middle ages of film technology. The picture quality of Hampton 81 is much better

Oh, yes, fantastic news that they couldn't make these HD Blu-Rays or even bother to have these video sources look any better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have the content of the set, just wish this stuff looked better.

Date: June 5, 2016 10:13

having watched the documentary, Amsterdam and half of the Paris show, I can't help it: But at Paris the band seems to be bored and maybe exhausted

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 5, 2016 10:27

I'm glad the Stones are putting this stuff out. After playing the cd a few times, a familiar complaint: Chuck Leavell on some songs. He just overplays some stuff to death. To quote Mick Jagger (who was talking about John Popper of Blues Traveller): "too many notes". I'm glad I got to see the band with Stu 3 times.

Date: June 5, 2016 10:51

The Paradiso gig is a revelation! That one and the Texas '78 show might be the best shows they ever released on film. Bold statement I know.
Olympia is good, but it never reaches the energy of the Amsterdam concert. Brixton is great, and while the energy level is very high, it still doesn't quite reach Paradiso. They were just shit hot in Amsterdam. And sound is great too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 5, 2016 10:54

... I like it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:22

JMARKO
DrPete
Is there a comparison between the original stripped cd and the current one?

There is only one duplicated performance. So some similar titles but alternate live versions.

None of the studio material is included on the CD.

*this tidbit thumbs up
hadn't fully noticed, so caught up in the DVD's,
but realizing I had a 'new' Stones CD for car,
wheeee

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 5, 2016 12:50

Papo
I think the version of Like A Rolling Stone on the new Totally Stripped CD is lame compared to the one on Stripped.

I stand corrected. What I wrote above is complete bollocks. The Amsterdam version of Like A Rolling Stone ist actually fantastic, as is the whole show. Mick Jagger is doing a great job on LARS in A'dam!

Posted by: GivenToFly08 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 13:02

Having watched (in that order) the documentary, Paradiso and Olympia, Paradiso really stands out as one extraordinary performance. The sound is fantastic and the performance, wow. And Ronnie is on fire and inspired (not so much in Paris).

However the mix bothers me sometimes. On Angie from the Olympia, Keith almost disappears in the background during the solos. The mix on "Stripped" was much more balanced. In my opinion, the way Ronnie and Keith combine their riffs is one of the gems of the show and I will continue to listen to Stripped for the best version of that tune.

But, to be fair, the balance is perfect on the new mix of "Midnight Rambler", which makes it absolutely marvelous imho...

Anyway great stuff all over. Can't believe it's been 21 years already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 13:03 by GivenToFly08.

Date: June 5, 2016 13:35

Papo
Papo
I think the version of Like A Rolling Stone on the new Totally Stripped CD is lame compared to the one on Stripped.

I stand corrected. What I wrote above is complete bollocks. The Amsterdam version of Like A Rolling Stone ist actually fantastic, as is the whole show. Mick Jagger is doing a great job on LARS in A'dam!

a.) Can anyone hear Keith' acoustic guitar on LARS? I mean: really hear it, not just hearing it because he visibly plays one?

b.) Watching Jagger's performance of LARS provides another strong indication for my believe that the Stones never understood that song. It's neither a pop nor a party-sing-along-and-have-fun-song. Jagger jumping up and down during the song is not just totally out of place but a massive offense (in case a song can be offended)

Date: June 5, 2016 14:23

slewan
Papo
Papo

a.) Can anyone hear Keith' acoustic guitar on LARS? I mean: really hear it, not just hearing it because he visibly plays one?

b.) Watching Jagger's performance of LARS provides another strong indication for my believe that the Stones never understood that song. It's neither a pop nor a party-sing-along-and-have-fun-song. Jagger jumping up and down during the song is not just totally out of place but a massive offense (in case a song can be offended)

Regarding B:
It IS a party singalong in the Stones' version.

JumpingKentFlash

Post Totally Stripped
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 3, 2016 22:39

So, after Eagle Rock / UMG seriously cutting the mustard with this package, what is next from the vaults, or archive ? Or, if there is a new release, will the reissue packaging take a back seat ? Thoughts ?

Re: Post Totally Stripped
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 3, 2016 22:48

A San Jose'99 DVD/bluray? A double cd of the 72 tour?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 3, 2016 22:54

I want the complete Roundhouse gig. And I want them to release the Sticky-Fingers-show, complete and in all it´s glory.

Date: June 3, 2016 23:05

Toronto Phoenix and Sticky Fingers Live come to mind..

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 3, 2016 23:18

I suspect that vault releases will be on hold while they promote the current record. Maybe the Sticky Fingers Live could be part of a deluxe package of the new one.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 3, 2016 23:20

Havana 2016 .... concert film + documentary:

[dugdaleblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-03 23:45 by Irix.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 3, 2016 23:48

Something early, we have too many live shows from later day. How about a show from 1966, with Last Time, 19th Nervous, Lady Jane, etc. That would rule!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 4, 2016 00:07

Next up from the Vault is San Jose '99...I have also heard that they are making similar to TS box sets for the 2002 club shows in the U.S. and Europe.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 4, 2016 01:01

El Mocambo would be Nice!!!
Jeroen

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 01:40

How about the rest of "Stripped"?

It simply amazes me how they always find a way to leave the most important stuff off. I LIKE THE NEW PACKAGE - let me make that clear, but we get "Honky Tonk Women" again and again and they leave off some real rarities like Still A Fool, Jump On Top Of Me, Can't Get Next To You (at least we got "Meet Me In The Bottom)

Can someone please explain why these cool rarities were not included?

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: June 4, 2016 02:18

Lynd8
How about the rest of "Stripped"?

It simply amazes me how they always find a way to leave the most important stuff off. I LIKE THE NEW PACKAGE - let me make that clear, but we get "Honky Tonk Women" again and again and they leave off some real rarities like Still A Fool, Jump On Top Of Me, Can't Get Next To You (at least we got "Meet Me In The Bottom)

Can someone please explain why these cool rarities were not included?

Maybe they are being saved for a Stripped 30th Anniversary Edition. I thought the same thing. I actually like the officially released live non-lp single sides better than the cd included with the set.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 4, 2016 04:30

"No Expectations" from Toshiba was an amazing performance - another missing masterpiece... "Let's Spend The Night Together" too.

Oh well, I'll try to stick to the real intent of the thread and cast a vote for Toronto 2003 club gig - hopefully they don't leave off the key tracks

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1601
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home