Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 51
Re: Totally Stripped
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 11, 2016 08:04

RipThisBone
Gonna watch PARADISO again !!!

I came home early tonight so I could watch the whole Paradiso show (and some Brixton) uninterrupted by the family and I got to say that this really captures the Stones at one of their finest moments-The Stones (professionally shot) playing more obscure tunes (Spider & the Fly) in a smaller, intimate venue- during the time period when they were still firing on all cylinders and playing really well with enthusiasm. It boggles my mind that it has taken so long to have these shows finally released. Aside from the Licks theatre shows in 2002, it would have been great had they done more of these types of shows during the Voodoo Lounge tour. But aside from all my pontificating and griping, these shows are as good as it gets. This is arguably an essential release for the old collection....

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 11, 2016 13:07

Just watched paradiso would have swapped All Down The Line and Rip This Joint for 2 others never really liked these much. Otherwise fantastic showsmiling smiley)

John Nicholls

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 11, 2016 18:44

a question for the sound experts: How does the sound of the DVDs / Blu ray discs compare to the sound of the CD?

(to my ears the CD sounds much better than the DVD but I can't really compare because I have to play DVDs on my mac while my CD player is linked to my hifi system.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 11, 2016 18:53

slewan
a question for the sound experts: How does the sound of the DVDs / Blu ray discs compare to the sound of the CD?

(to my ears the CD sounds much better than the DVD but I can't really compare because I have to play DVDs on my mac while my CD player is linked to my hifi system.

Hi Slewan. IMO the sound of the DVDS is much better than the cd. Anyway, i enjoy tehm More.
jeroen

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 11, 2016 20:57

Is it me or Ronnie was 'overcreative' in Brixton? A couple of is solos sound completely out of this world.

PS. Connection in Brixton is a beautiful trainwreck grinning smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 11, 2016 22:50

No song lists on the plexiglass? How did they survive?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 11, 2016 23:44

ironbelly
Is it me or Ronnie was 'overcreative' in Brixton? A couple of is solos sound completely out of this world.

Ronnie's playing on all these shows is incredible. It bums me out that he really lost it on the B2B and No Security tours. He made a big comeback on the Licks tour after getting sober but has never really re-approached playing like this since.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 11, 2016 23:52

The CD is a great CD. I gave it a listen today, and it's a fine live album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 12, 2016 00:01

keefriff99
ironbelly

Ronnie's playing on all these shows is incredible. It bums me out that he really lost it on the B2B and No Security tours. He made a big comeback on the Licks tour after getting sober but has never really re-approached playing like this since.

Maybe so, but to make up for it Keith's playing was superb on the No Security Tour, from which it's been a gradual decline, while Wood's playing is still top notch, the only Stones musician still playing at peak.

Date: June 12, 2016 00:12

24FPS
keefriff99
ironbelly

Maybe so, but to make up for it Keith's playing was superb on the No Security Tour, from which it's been a gradual decline, while Wood's playing is still top notch, the only Stones musician still playing at peak.
Oh yeah, I agree. I can remember watching Ronnie on the No Security tour and seeing how utterly out of it he was, and Keith's playing more than made up for it.

Ronnie's playing has been quite good the past decade, but it's still a bit choppy and tentative at times, where on this set, he's just letting it rip.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 12, 2016 00:58

24FPS
keefriff99
ironbelly

Charlie's playing is top notch as well...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 12, 2016 01:48

Maybe you're all more used to it,
but Paris opening with Honkey Tonk and then
Tumbling Dice...so sweet, and of course last 1/2 of Tumbling Dice bliss, joy.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: June 12, 2016 01:56

'You Got Me Rocking Now'
I've met the studio recorded track 1/2 way there, but it was just out of my grasp, too fast? Too much good rhyme? Something, I admired it, but...
Paris 'YGMRN' does it! What a performance.
Paris show flows better for me/ what a setlist.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 12, 2016 02:32

ironbelly

"Connection" at Paradiso is one of the coolest footage of them I've ever seen. Brilliant!!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 12, 2016 03:45

Wild Slivovitz
ironbelly

"Connection" at Paradiso is one of the coolest footage of them I've ever seen. Brilliant!!

"Connection" at Paradisio is the only time I have seen and heard that the song actually works in a live-setting! It's really great, which only makes me think that Jagger are the sole reason for it's succes.

On all other live versions over the years, including Paris and Brixton, Keith chops and smashes the poor thing into pieces with no sense of timing and bad playing. Charlie has his responsibility of it too, with his tampering on the tom-tom's, which makes it sound like a train-wreck.

I don't think at all that it's "cool" that a song simply sounds bad.
There are forum members here, who thinks that it's "beautiful" to hear a song like "Connection" fall apart in concert. Like Keith is all forgiven because he is a great personality. Hilarious.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 12, 2016 03:48

TOTALLY STRIPPED thumbs up

hot smiley

PARADISO thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

hot smileyhot smileyhot smiley

Edit: Shame Keith and Mick did not swapped places for CONNECTION.
Keith taking Mick's place centre stage and Mick at the right singing...
I know it's only whining... (but I Like it yes I do).

smileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-12 04:00 by RipThisBone.

Date: June 12, 2016 04:58

Blueranger
Wild Slivovitz
ironbelly

"Connection" at Paradisio is the only time I have seen and heard that the song actually works in a live-setting! It's really great, which only makes me think that Jagger are the sole reason for it's succes.

On all other live versions over the years, including Paris and Brixton, Keith chops and smashes the poor thing into pieces with no sense of timing and bad playing. Charlie has his responsibility of it too, with his tampering on the tom-tom's, which makes it sound like a train-wreck.

There are forum members here, who thinks that it's "beautiful" to hear a song like "Connection" fall apart in concert. Like Keith is all forgiven because he is a great personality. Hilarious.
There's a HUGE difference between the gloriously ragged and sloppy performances that the Stones regularly gave in the '70s, which had a rock'n'roll charm to them, and complete trainwrecks. I don't find them funny or endearing...I think it shows a lack of respect for the crowd when a song is completely butchered and laughed off.

Posted by: opj ()
Date: June 12, 2016 09:39

I've now ripped the DVD's to cd, and listened to it a couple of times, it's really a great collection of concerts we've got here. It's good to be a stones fan these years. It so great that the band has opened their archive. I think that over the next years we'll see a lot more coming out. I don't much about a new album, but the rumors of a blues album would be at big thing.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: June 12, 2016 09:45

Wild Slivovitz

It was even cooler on the following night where the Glimmer Twins shared the same microphone at the end of this song !

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 12, 2016 12:59

I was charmed to hear Keith come up with "your actual French" at the Olympia
Substantial Damage is drawing on deep roots :E

Posted by: Ale67 ()
Date: June 12, 2016 18:54

opj
I've now ripped the DVD's to cd, and listened to it a couple of times, it's really a great collection of concerts we've got here. It's good to be a stones fan these years. It so great that the band has opened their archive. I think that over the next years we'll see a lot more coming out. I don't much about a new album, but the rumors of a blues album would be at big thing.

Oh my, oh my! Where did you hear that, Opj???
I perfectly agree with you, I think there's any need of a Stones album whatsoever at all, but a real blues full album???
Oh yessss!!! Tell me it's true!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2016 22:20

Here ya go Ale67

Go to 01.54 to hear Don Was talk about Stones and the new album

[ondemand.rrr.org.au]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 12, 2016 22:51

with sssoul

"Paris i'm still drying off" was also quite good...

Posted by: Ale67 ()
Date: June 12, 2016 23:25

Rockman
Here ya go Ale67

Go to 01.54 to hear Don Was talk about Stones and the new album

[ondemand.rrr.org.au]

Thank you so much Rockman! Let's cross our fingers! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: June 13, 2016 00:22

Saw Paradiso this weekend. What a fantastic guitarsound! Fantastic show with a great opener Not Fade Away!

Date: June 13, 2016 01:26

with sssoul
Substantial Damage is drawing on deep roots :E

I chuckled of that one, too thumbs up

Date: June 13, 2016 01:28

Blueranger
Wild Slivovitz
ironbelly

The Winos version rocked. Keith played it in open G at the Palladium.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 13, 2016 03:47

Just got the deluxe hardcover book with the 4 discs today, as I am in the southeast, I will wait until next weekend to watch as playing certain songs loud in an apartment building might be inappropriate given the events that happened today.

Date: June 13, 2016 08:11

got the cd/dvd version. listened to the cd. enjoyed "rip this joint" and "I go wild". great version of "miss you". other than that the cd has me baffled. not many rare choices and most of it doesn't sound "stripped". whats the point

whats on the dvd? some live stuff and a documentary?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 13, 2016 08:14

keefriffhard4life
got the cd/dvd version. listened to the cd. enjoyed "rip this joint" and "I go wild". great version of "miss you". other than that the cd has me baffled. not many rare choices and most of it doesn't sound "stripped". whats the point

whats on the dvd? some live stuff and a documentary?

I think you got the wrong edition. Everyone should spend the few bucks more for the deluxe edition featuring three complete shows.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home