Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 17, 2021 02:32

GasLightStreet
terraplane
I have the remastered CD and the sound is really good but I am not fond of the album. Don't enjoy the Steel Wheels tracks and I hate the sound of Keith's acoustic. Some electric/gut string hybrid? So I find myself just skipping tracks.I like that they did include rarer songs though.

A Sadowsky electric nylon.

That was a weird sound. It dates FLASHPOINT. I find Ruby Tuesday and Paint It Black no fun to listen to because of that guitar. PIB on LIVE LICKS is a thousand times better.

I love that guitar! And it brought out some sweet playing from Keith — never replicated since. I seem to remember Waddy playing that guitar on “Locked Away” in 1993.

The acoustic sound Keith settles for now is pretty bad.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 19, 2021 17:46

MelBelli
GasLightStreet
terraplane
I have the remastered CD and the sound is really good but I am not fond of the album. Don't enjoy the Steel Wheels tracks and I hate the sound of Keith's acoustic. Some electric/gut string hybrid? So I find myself just skipping tracks.I like that they did include rarer songs though.

That was a weird sound. It dates FLASHPOINT. I find Ruby Tuesday and Paint It Black no fun to listen to because of that guitar. PIB on LIVE LICKS is a thousand times better.

I love that guitar! And it brought out some sweet playing from Keith — never replicated since. I seem to remember Waddy playing that guitar on “Locked Away” in 1993.

If folks want to hear how good the Sadowsky Electric Nylon can sound, check this out:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 19, 2021 18:15

I know I'm in the minority on this, but Steel Wheels is one of my desert island Stones albums, and the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour(s) are among my all-time favorite Stones performances. I LOVE Flashpoint.

The only problem I have with it (aside from the one flaw of that tour: Matt Clifford's damn triangle on SFTD) is that it's not long enough. The Stones had plenty of killer material to have made a killer triple CD live album with this, including all the B-Sides ("Play With Fire," "2,000 Light Years From Home," "Harlem Shuffle," "Undercover," "I Just Want to Make Love To You" etc etc) as well as prime choices of other cuts:

"Bitch" (Montreal 12-13-89)
"Tumbling Dice" (Atlantic City 12-19-89 or Madrid 6-16-90)
"Terrifying" (Atlantic City 12-19-89)
"Almost Hear You Sigh" (Madrid, 6-16-90)
"Angie" (Dallas 11-11-89 or London 7-7-90)
"Dead Flowers" (East Troy 1989 or Foxboro 1989)
"One Hit" (East Troy 1989)
"Mixed Emotions" (Atlantic City, 12-19-89)
"HTW" (Atlantic City 12/19/89 or Dallas 11-12-89 or Madrid 6-16-90)
"MR" (Foxboro 1989 or Tokyo 2-26-89)
"BTMMR" (Kansas City 10-8-89)
"Happy" (East Berlin, 8-14-90, Madrid 6-16-90 or Dallas 11-11-89)
"GS" (Los Angeles 10-19/21-89, Atlantic City 89, Tokyo 2/26/90, Madrid 6-16-90)
"IORR" (Madrid 6-16-90 or Montreal 12-14-89)

Likewise, they had plenty of great alternate versions to the songs that ended up on the album and the b-sides:

"Harlem Shuffle" (Atlantic City 12-19-89, Los Angeles 10-19/21-89 or NYC 1989)
"Miss You" (Madrid 6-16-90 or Barcelona 1990)
"RAAHP" (Pittsburgh, 9-6-89, Tokyo 2-26-90 or London 7-7-90)
"Play With Fire" (Montreal 12-14-89 or East Troy 1989)
"Little Red Rooster" (Dallas, 11-11-89 or East Troy 1989)
"SFTD" (East Troy 1989, London 7-7-90, or Madrid 6-16-90)
"PIB" (Madrid 6-16-90 or Kansas City 10-8-89)
"2,000 Light Years" (Madrid 6-16-90)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-19 18:22 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: January 2, 2024 21:13

Recently I was listening Flashpoint and I was wondering what the reason was that they added 2 new studio tracks to a live album?
I can’t find anything about it in this topic.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 2, 2024 21:29

stevecardi
I know I'm in the minority on this, but Steel Wheels is one of my desert island Stones albums, and the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour(s) are among my all-time favorite Stones performances. I LOVE Flashpoint.

The only problem I have with it (aside from the one flaw of that tour: Matt Clifford's damn triangle on SFTD) is that it's not long enough. The Stones had plenty of killer material to have made a killer triple CD live album with this, including all the B-Sides ("Play With Fire," "2,000 Light Years From Home," "Harlem Shuffle," "Undercover," "I Just Want to Make Love To You" etc etc) as well as prime choices of other cuts:

"Bitch" (Montreal 12-13-89)
"Tumbling Dice" (Atlantic City 12-19-89 or Madrid 6-16-90)
"Terrifying" (Atlantic City 12-19-89)
"Almost Hear You Sigh" (Madrid, 6-16-90)
"Angie" (Dallas 11-11-89 or London 7-7-90)
"Dead Flowers" (East Troy 1989 or Foxboro 1989)
"One Hit" (East Troy 1989)
"Mixed Emotions" (Atlantic City, 12-19-89)
"HTW" (Atlantic City 12/19/89 or Dallas 11-12-89 or Madrid 6-16-90)
"MR" (Foxboro 1989 or Tokyo 2-26-89)
"BTMMR" (Kansas City 10-8-89)
"Happy" (East Berlin, 8-14-90, Madrid 6-16-90 or Dallas 11-11-89)
"GS" (Los Angeles 10-19/21-89, Atlantic City 89, Tokyo 2/26/90, Madrid 6-16-90)
"IORR" (Madrid 6-16-90 or Montreal 12-14-89)

Likewise, they had plenty of great alternate versions to the songs that ended up on the album and the b-sides:

"Harlem Shuffle" (Atlantic City 12-19-89, Los Angeles 10-19/21-89 or NYC 1989)
"Miss You" (Madrid 6-16-90 or Barcelona 1990)
"RAAHP" (Pittsburgh, 9-6-89, Tokyo 2-26-90 or London 7-7-90)
"Play With Fire" (Montreal 12-14-89 or East Troy 1989)
"Little Red Rooster" (Dallas, 11-11-89 or East Troy 1989)
"SFTD" (East Troy 1989, London 7-7-90, or Madrid 6-16-90)
"PIB" (Madrid 6-16-90 or Kansas City 10-8-89)
"2,000 Light Years" (Madrid 6-16-90)

Ever since that triangle version of SFTD has existed they've played it that way ever since - one more reason they should've dropped it after 1990.

My favorite Mixed Emotions - as in, I wish it would've made the live album - is the MTV Awards (recorded from show 1 of 2 in Toronto 3 nights earlier), especially towards the end when they go off a bit - Ronnie had some excellent riffing going on and Charlie just killed it.

But yeah, FLASHPOINT could've been a lot longer (as sterile sounding as it is). It didn't sell like they probably hoped for but they could've easily just made a fantastic double live album and for those of us that need that suffering, had they thought of it then, a deluxe triple album edition, ha ha; to solve any issues regarding the single B-sides they could've

1. edit and LP version
2. other show versions (Start Me Up from Atlantic City, or the actual live version of Undercover Of The Night without the overdubs, for example)
3. anything they could've left off all 3 editions of the live album

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 2, 2024 21:40

Mabru
Recently I was listening Flashpoint and I was wondering what the reason was that they added 2 new studio tracks to a live album?
I can’t find anything about it in this topic.

Simply to get fans to buy it. Sales increase with studio tracks since not all fans care to buy live albums. It's the same reason many bands (including Stones, Doom & Gloom / One More Shot) release new studio songs on greatest hit compilations.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 2, 2024 22:24

stevecardi
... and the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour(s) are among my all-time favorite Stones performances.

Same here, their musical performance was absolutely top on those tours. Yet I can't really warm to Flashpoint. The production is a bit sterile, doesn't really sound like a live album to me. Also the choice of songs is not optimal IMHO, 2000 Light Years, Gimme Shelter, Terrifying should have been on it.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 2, 2024 23:01

doitywoik
stevecardi
... and the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour(s) are among my all-time favorite Stones performances.

Same here, their musical performance was absolutely top on those tours. Yet I can't really warm to Flashpoint. The production is a bit sterile, doesn't really sound like a live album to me. Also the choice of songs is not optimal IMHO, 2000 Light Years, Gimme Shelter, Terrifying should have been on it.

I thought as a whole, the Steel Wheel musical performances were pretty polished and tight but the Flashpoint album is a dud simply because what was left off it. It would have been a much better received release at it been a complete concert, although we later got the complete Altantic City show later dvd with an accompanying CD if my memory serves me well.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 2, 2024 23:56

Was the first live album I bought of theirs, and I will have always have a soft spot for it. I agree it could have been much longer, but I did enjoy all the varied songs included, either on it, or on the B-Sides. I enjoy the sound - the start of the modern Stones sound!!!!! Would have to think about it a lot, as I never have, but it might juuuuuuuuuuuuuust miss being a Top 5 favorite Stones live album. Not sure though. Definitely Top 10.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: January 3, 2024 01:10

7th of July and Rolling Stones '90 (Tokyo feb 26) sounded both like the real deal.

I was left speechless by Flashpoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 01:20 by ds1984.

Date: January 3, 2024 03:02

ds1984
7th of July and Rolling Stones '90 (Tokyo feb 26) sounded both like the real deal.

I was left speechless by Flashpoint.

OK.

I'll take the bait for everyone else:

In a good way? Doesn't seem like it.

Date: January 3, 2024 03:32

Sighunt
doitywoik
stevecardi

I thought as a whole, the Steel Wheel musical performances were pretty polished and tight but the Flashpoint album is a dud simply because what was left off it. It would have been a much better received release at it been a complete concert, although we later got the complete Altantic City show later dvd with an accompanying CD if my memory serves me well.

Yes, ATLANTIC CITY is excellent.

Look at the song selection for FLASHPOINT:

Some new and recent (Start Me Up albeit its second live album but at least completely different; Miss You, Sad Sad Sad, RAAHP, Can't Be Seen), a couple of oddities (Ruby Tuesday, Factory Girl) and then... the usual, although Paint It Black wasn't the usual at that point but whatever, and the two studio tracks.

Did we really need -

YCAGWYW again? No LOVE YOU LIVE
Little Red Rooster? No LOVE YOU LIVE
SFTD again? No LOVE YOU LIVE
Brown Sugar again? No LOVE YOU LIVE
Jumpin' Jack Flash again? No LOVE YOU LIVE
Satisfaction again? No STILL LIFE

Yet they erred to the classic aspect of HOT ROCKS in regard to a new live album. They did all the work on it, overdubs, editing, B-sides, the videos for Highwire and Sex Drive, and then had basically nothing to say about it. It was released and then it didn't exist. CBS/Sony went all out, the Stones disappeared.

Their last release with CBS/Sony - they knew they were done somehow even though they signed a 4 album deal with CBS/Sony and this was release number three (unless somehow Mick's SHE'S THE BOSS counted) - they seemingly purposely took a dump and left to sign with Virgin.

Very weird.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 3, 2024 11:32

When I read the recent comments I get a picture that FLASHPOINT was a kind of artistic and commercial failure at the time.

Yeah, artistically perhaps - the inclusion of studio tracks was a bit odd and probably the over-all sound was pretty polished - but, however, it still belonged to the era when live albums were still artefacts of their own, not trying to document a whole concert, but tried to say something unique on their own (and the previous live albums had a role there). In that way, especially the contrast to the live album from their previous tour (STILL LIFE) was a big one, very much establishing their new 'professional' sound (like YA-YA'S did at the time). I personally recall how 'odd' the album sounded like. Totally a new sound. Like a different band. The following live albums - STRIPPED and NO SECURITY - continued this line of thought: a new live album needed to be distinguished from the previous live albums. It was not until the DVD era changed the whole market, and the golden era of live albums as artistic statements was over. For the Stones the turning point was FOUR FLICKS.

But leaving the always difficult and subjective artistic matters aside, no way FLASHPOINT was any commercial flop. Damn, it has sold some 4 million copies, and it is their best selling live album (with STRIPPED, if that one counts). By contrast, YA-YA'S has sold 3.6m, STILL LIFE 3.2m and LOVE YOU LIVE 2.5. And it was not only back then: if we look at the streaming numbers, it is their most streamed live album.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-03 11:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 3, 2024 14:12

Steel Wheels days were of a different flavor compared to modern day Stones in my opinion. Both myself and the band were younger and it’s the last of Bill. It was very exciting, I particularly liked all the singles and EPs more than the live album. I played it a lot, but I played Still Life much more. These days I don’t play either. Maybe I’m more interested in more recent recordings. However, Ya-Ya”s has always been a must listen throughout. A lot of interesting points brought up in this thread. Also an important album in my opinion.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 3, 2024 15:59

To be perfectly honest, I purchased Flashpoint some years ago, during a period whereby I would gobble-up all I could. Like many still undoubtedly still are, I was a fanatic. However, with my rabid fandom now long tamed, I’m reasonably confident that I simply wouldn’t purchase this today. For me, it’s a somewhat superfluous release. There’s been so many excellent bootlegs available from this tour, and now the likes of Atlantic City have been officially released; that’s awesome, and an absolute ‘must have’; Flashpoint and less so. I’d file it alongside No Security and the much-maligned Live Licks; another purchase I simply wouldn’t bother with, today. As For the single, Highwire? Well, I would download it. It is a good song, after all.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 3, 2024 16:39

For me a major difference between Still Life and Flashpoint was that Still Life came out shortly before the Show in my town, got quite some airplay, and thus gave you a preview of what to expect. Flashpoint came a year after Urbal Jungle, and at least over here without any promotion at all (I remember that I just saw it by accident in a record store one day). So what one expects in that case is rather a kind of souvenir of what one heard at the show, the vibes and atmosphere, songs that made the tour special etc. And to me, Flashpoint didn't deliver that. To me, Flashpoint rather has the flair of just fulfilling contractual obligations.
I also consider (or prefer) live albums (as) albums of their own, I'd rather have good (or the best) performances of songs from different shows, assembled in a way that it makes the live album a coherent whole that "clicks" on its own. If it's an album from a tour that accompanied a new release (or two) I also like to get live versions of the new songs, or otherwise stuff that has not been on previous live albums, or comes in a new arrangement or really takes off live in a new or different way. (So what I'm also missing on Flashpoint is Harlem Shuffle.) For me, Flashpoint doesn't really provide this. I don't mind the two studio songs in the end as I don't have the single, but in the context of Flashpoint I could as well have done without them (also, I wouldn't have minded a shorter version of Flashpoint.
I had quite the same feelings about Stones At The Max, which to me didn't really transport the vibes of the tour(s) either.
Live Licks seemed (and seems) totally superfluous to me. What I find still quite enjoyable is No Security, that one has a certain flair to it and also works well as an album in its own right.

Date: January 3, 2024 17:21

I loved the concept of NS, and the tour/name, but the album isn't a coherent live album at all to me. It's just a collection of songs not really gathered on any other live albums and doesn't have a concert feel at all. I rarely listen to it. Same for Live Licks, though I do love the covers!!! >grinning smiley< Shine A Light is great. Stripped is magnificent. El Mo is the creme de la creme. Flashpoint I think has a place - a good one. And for me, I will take it over Still Life and LYL - 2 more I rarely listen to. For the live albums, I'd say the ones I listen to the most are:

El Mo
Bremen
Stripped
Charlie is My Darling
Checkerboard Lounge (does this count as a Stones album???)
Flashpoint
Shine A Light
San Jose
Buenos Aires
and one of the Vaults - I'd have to go research which one. Might be Leeds?

Those are in no particular order.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 3, 2024 17:51

The increased tempo in the songs takes a bit of adjusting to, but certain songs it really elevates in a different way. Miss You is sped up, and it gives the song a different vibe. Not bad, good and in a different way.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2024 18:33

VoodooLounge13
I loved the concept of NS, and the tour/name, but the album isn't a coherent live album at all to me. It's just a collection of songs not really gathered on any other live albums and doesn't have a concert feel at all. I rarely listen to it. Same for Live Licks, though I do love the covers!!! >grinning smiley< Shine A Light is great. Stripped is magnificent. El Mo is the creme de la creme. Flashpoint I think has a place - a good one. And for me, I will take it over Still Life and LYL - 2 more I rarely listen to. For the live albums, I'd say the ones I listen to the most are:

El Mo
Bremen
Stripped
Charlie is My Darling
Flashpoint
Shine A Light
San Jose
Buenos Aires

Good picks, but what about Brussels and Ya Ya's? For me those are probably 1-2 followed by El Mo.

Date: January 3, 2024 20:41

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

El Mo
Bremen
Stripped
Charlie is My Darling
Flashpoint
Shine A Light
San Jose
Buenos Aires

Good picks, but what about Brussels and Ya Ya's? For me those are probably 1-2 followed by El Mo.

Brussels I forgot. That would definitely be in there. Overall, probably #2 for me after El Mo. I also forgot RNR Circus! Love that one!!! As much for the non-Stones stuff as the Stones stuff. My favorite versions of Jeffrey and A Quick One are on there!!!

Ya-Ya's I don't spin much. That's another that I've never understood the hype. I think there are far better live albums.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2024 22:50

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

El Mo
Bremen
Stripped
Charlie is My Darling
Flashpoint
Shine A Light
San Jose
Buenos Aires

Brussels I forgot. That would definitely be in there. Overall, probably #2 for me after El Mo. I also forgot RNR Circus! Love that one!!! As much for the non-Stones stuff as the Stones stuff. My favorite versions of Jeffrey and A Quick One are on there!!!

Ya-Ya's I don't spin much. That's another that I've never understood the hype. I think there are far better live albums.

Yes, Circus is good, but I wonder if I like it more because I always listen to it while watching the video I think that improves the experience.

Date: January 3, 2024 23:15

While by first time listening to Flashpoint I remember I thought..."this is a turning point". A mature, coherent and, yes, respectable band. Neither better nor worse, just different. A different way of having a party. The Mick's hair cut said all.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: January 4, 2024 11:17

My all time favorite version of Satisfaction is on Flashpoint. They go full Otis, and it is great.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2024 12:28

Took me a while to appreciate Flashpoint.

It marked a whole sea-change in the way they played and presented songs on the stage.

It wasn't my favourite, rough and ready, best pub band in the world any more...

...and, at the time, I didn't very much like that !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-04 13:08 by Spud.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 4, 2024 12:49

Spud

It marked a whole sea-change in the way they played presented songs on the stage.

Good points! Although I feel Keith was performing at his peak during the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungles tours, there was, indeed, a whole 'sea-change', otherwise. The 1989-90 tour would prove to be the blueprint and beginning of how they'd tour through to the end of the A Bigger Bang Tour in 2007; after which, we entered a 'new era', and different model, beginning in 2012.

When you mention 'best pub band in the world', that immediately leads me to think about the ragged, rough-and-ready performances from the 1981-82 tour. What an incredible difference between then and what would follow seven years later, in 1989.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2024 12:59

MelBelli
GasLightStreet
terraplane

I find Keith's playing and sound fantastic on the nylon Sadowsky, he really showed what a fantastic acoustic player he is. I never understood why he abandoned that guitar after the Urban Jungle tour.

Mathijs

Date: January 4, 2024 13:12

Yep, I thought "electric guts" sounded great too...

...and gave a glimpse of the "closet flamenco player" Keith grinning smiley

Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: January 4, 2024 13:21

Mathijs
MelBelli
GasLightStreet
terraplane

I find Keith's playing and sound fantastic on the nylon Sadowsky, he really showed what a fantastic acoustic player he is. I never understood why he abandoned that guitar after the Urban Jungle tour.

Mathijs

He also played Ruby Tuesday with that guitar on the Bridges to Babylon tour rehearsal, but never live.

Date: January 4, 2024 13:34

Much less suited to Ruby Tuesday I'd say.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 4, 2024 13:56

Big Al
Spud

It marked a whole sea-change in the way they played presented songs on the stage.

Good points! Although I feel Keith was performing at his peak during the Steel Wheels and Urban Jungles tours, there was, indeed, a whole 'sea-change', otherwise. The 1989-90 tour would prove to be the blueprint and beginning of how they'd tour through to the end of the A Bigger Bang Tour in 2007; after which, we entered a 'new era', and different model, beginning in 2012.

When you mention 'best pub band in the world', that immediately leads me to think about the ragged, rough-and-ready performances from the 1981-82 tour. What an incredible difference between then and what would follow seven years later, in 1989.

So true. But, then again, the 'sea-change' wasn't something unseen before in their career. The official live albums are a good document of that: there was never one Rolling Stones with a typical sound, but quite a bunch of bands with different sound.

The difference between GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! and GET YER YA-YA'S OUT - just in three years! - is incredible. The wild, energetic, funnily amateurish and sloppy rock pop group playing for screaming chicks turned into dark professional blues rock band. Then, if LOVE YOU LIVE offered a degenerated version of the latter, STILL LIFE introduced us a whole new band with a new sound: punk-kicked older statesmen of rock rushing through songs, lead by the ancient art of weaving and a singer sounding like a horse. And the difference, once again, was a huge one - like YA-YA'S ever happened (there were a lot of old fans who weren't that fond of that at all).

So in a way, FLASHPOINT continued the story of the band going through changes (some caused by inner dynamics, some by responding to altering circumstances). There was no static Stones sound, but they kept on evolving. But what we didn't know back then that FLASHPOINT turned out to be, like you said, a "blueprint" for the years to come. They basically still sound the same (I agree that 1989-2007 is an era of its own, 'Cohlian Era', and the concept has changed since then. But as a live act, they still musically basically follow the same concept we hear in FLASHPOINT). One could even claim that the Stones ended up sounding like or finally discovered their 'ultimate' sound - this is how we want to sound like. Well, pragmatically speaking, for the last 35 years they have managed pretty well with that concept, no matter if losing some foundational members or the main guitarist some chops...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-04 14:15 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home