Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Date: March 2, 2016 16:46

GasLightStreet
Of JJF?

It wasn't good in 1981-92 either! But it was "better". I bet there were people complaining about it back then, you just couldn't read it on the internet.

They haven't played JJF worth a shit since 1971.

The JJF from Leeds 1982 is a ramshackle, and it's lovely! Even with the super-long new instrumental section before the third verse grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 2, 2016 16:49

GasLightStreet

They have! And they do it right now in South America.
Not as good as on Love You Live, but less clean as in 1989/90. It has grown dirtier again.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 2, 2016 17:11

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Of JJF?

It wasn't good in 1981-92 either! But it was "better". I bet there were people complaining about it back then, you just couldn't read it on the internet.

The JJF from Leeds 1982 is a ramshackle, and it's lovely! Even with the super-long new instrumental section before the third verse grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Yes!!! That's the way they should play. Very good version. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 3, 2016 00:30

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: March 3, 2016 01:03

I think it`s not musical quality, but lack of a certain spirit, of some real nastiness, maybe. It`s hard to define what makes a Stones album work. I`m with Jeroen, it doesn`t make my stones blood rush. Whereas, these current shows in South America actually do, very much so. If they bear recording, editing, overdubbing etc. and we hear it back on an official artefact, is another matter entirely.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: March 3, 2016 06:04

I loved the Steel Wheels tour, but Flashpoint to me was the most sterile boring Stones live album and I virtually never listen to it except for Highwire which I love and Sex Drive which I don't love. Yet the bootleg "LostPoint" i've listened to continually all these years. Comprised of the B-sides "Just Want To Make Love to You", Play With Fire, 2000 Light Years, Harlem Shuffle, Undercover of the Night, Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice and Street Fighting Man it is FAR SUPERIOR than the Stones official Flashpoint - sad to say

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 3, 2016 12:14

GasLightStreet
The performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash on the 1989-90 tours is that it's too fast, it's almost monotone and the backing vocals are just awful... it sounds like angry mall music.

Eggzactly, probably not fair to compare to Ya Ya's, but that version is the speed meant for live Jumpin' Jack Flash!

Date: March 3, 2016 14:37

LeonidP
GasLightStreet
The performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash on the 1989-90 tours is that it's too fast, it's almost monotone and the backing vocals are just awful... it sounds like angry mall music.

Eggzactly, probably not fair to compare to Ya Ya's, but that version is the speed meant for live Jumpin' Jack Flash!

No I dont think so. The Ya Ya´s version is quite boring. They use the right speed NOW. Almost any version from 1995 on is superior to Ya Ya´s.

Date: March 3, 2016 14:38

This is the only time they found the groove of the studio version (aka perfection), imo.

It's also the only time Mick has sung JJF properly (at least the first verse and chorus) smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-03 14:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 3, 2016 14:42

Yes, the circus-version is great but you have to play it different in stadiums. The way they play it now is the best way, it´s perfect, don´t ever change.

Date: March 3, 2016 14:43

It was great last night. Seems like Keith is more comfortable with the green Telecaster now.

Date: March 3, 2016 16:47

HMS
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

No I dont think so. The Ya Ya´s version is quite boring. They use the right speed NOW. Almost any version from 1995 on is superior to Ya Ya´s.

Not that you would know a good tune, but if speed is all its about then the best bands would be ones like Bad Brains, or NOFX , etc.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 3, 2016 18:27

HMS
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

Yes, but you also think DIRTY WORK is a great album so, you know, whatever, invalid, really. LeonidP, like everyone but you, knows that the YA-YA'S version is superior to any other live album versions. And the version on GIMME SHELTER is better than YA-YA'S' because it's live.

Date: March 3, 2016 18:28

HMS
GasLightStreet

They have! And they do it right now in South America.
Not as good as on Love You Live, but less clean as in 1989/90. It has grown dirtier again.

Nope.

Date: March 3, 2016 18:34

DandelionPowderman
This is the only time they found the groove of the studio version (aka perfection), imo.

It's also the only time Mick has sung JJF properly (at least the first verse and chorus) smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Properly, ha ha, yes. I still think the 1969 chorus is better.

That CIRCUS performance is interesting since it's the sound of a 4-piece band... can not hear or barely hear Jones. Funny screw ups with Wyman going to the chorus... that rumble!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 3, 2016 23:27

Talking about JJF.. the first couple of concerts in 89 included the studiointro. Interesting. But it didnt worked.

Never been a fan of the 69/70 versions of JJF. Love most of GYYYO but never been a fan of JJF.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 3, 2016 23:44

GasLightStreet
HMS
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

Yes, but you also think DIRTY WORK is a great album so, you know, whatever, invalid, really. LeonidP, like everyone but you, knows that the YA-YA'S version is superior to any other live album versions. And the version on GIMME SHELTER is better than YA-YA'S' because it's live.
Why is there so much hate between you and HMS? I must have missed something...

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 00:36

I really enjoyed the CD single that had Highwire, Ruby Tuesday and Play with fire - I think I played it more than the actual entire CD. I did really like Factory Girl from the CD too though.

Date: March 4, 2016 01:06

Tops
Talking about JJF.. the first couple of concerts in 89 included the studiointro. Interesting. But it didnt worked.

Never been a fan of the 69/70 versions of JJF. Love most of GYYYO but never been a fan of JJF.

Only the warm-up show?

Date: March 4, 2016 08:17

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
HMS
LeonidP
GasLightStreet

Why is there so much hate between you and HMS? I must have missed something...

Because he's a loony that insists that DIRTY WORK is a great album (and the crap songs from VOODOO, BRIDGES and BANG are great) when it's the epitome of horrendous and the most embarrassing thing the Rolling Stones have ever done. He hates their great albums and great songs and loves their shit work.

He clearly doesn't understand music (although his only saving grace is he does like UNDERCOVER, which is a good album).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 4, 2016 10:54

Flashpoint was a huge hit for us. It was my graduation year, and all we played was Flashpoint and GnR's Use Your Illusion albums. I remember Paint it Black being a huge hit as well, due to the Tour of Duty TV series. The Stones were really back on top in 1990/1991.

Mathijs

Date: March 4, 2016 12:39

GasLightStreet
Because he's a loony that insists that DIRTY WORK is a great album (and the crap songs from VOODOO, BRIDGES and BANG are great) when it's the epitome of horrendous and the most embarrassing thing the Rolling Stones have ever done. He hates their great albums and great songs and loves their shit work.

He clearly doesn't understand music (although his only saving grace is he does like UNDERCOVER, which is a good album).

It is not true that I hate their great albums. SF, BB, LIB are albums that I love. Exile could be great if it wasn´t so long. Their very first albums as a Rythmn n Blues band are phenomenal, their singles output in the 60s is brilliant.

VL, Bridges & ABB are very good albums if you skip some indeed rather superfluous songs. Shine A Light is one of their best live albums/DVDs, it is outstanding. And so is Dirty Work, imo their last full-time convincing studio-album.

It´s true I dont like songs like Thief In The Night, How Can I Stop, Moonlight Mile, Waiting ON A Friend, Fool To Cry and a few others and do like Hihgwire, Doom And Gloom, Sweet Neo Con, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Gunface and Dont Stop. So what, tastes may differ. Moonlight Mile might be a more skillfull piece of music than Dont Stop but Dont Stop is far more entertaining and that is what I like about it.

Dirty Work isnt that bad. At least half of the album should please even the most critical fan. And it is less 80s-sounding than Undercover or Steel Wheels. One man´s meat is another man´s poison, that´s all. GasLightStreet´s knowledge of the Stones and music in general is much more profound than mine, that´s clear to me and I do not wish to deny it. But he also has to accept that there are people who like songs or albums (even DW) that he doesn´t like. After all how could there be something like a bad Stones-album? They are the Stones, they do not make bad albums. Some are better than others, but none is really bad or "a pile of shit". Even Goats Head Soup and Some Girls both have a couple of good tracks.

Date: March 4, 2016 22:47

HMS
So what, tastes may differ...

Of course people have different tastes. It's more because you never shut the f*ck up about it and bring it up in every thread you post in, like an 8 year old kid trying to make a point.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 4, 2016 22:59

Anyone had a try at the recent reissue from Japan on SHM-CD ? It was reissued along Steel Wheels with a new 2015 remastering apparently.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 5, 2016 00:12

LeonidP
HMS

Of course people have different tastes. It's more because you never shut the f*ck up about it and bring it up in every thread you post in, like an 8 year old kid trying to make a point.

Exactly.

His "so what, tastes may differ"-attitude is fake. In truth he's acting like a troll, always trying to provoke.

Date: March 5, 2016 15:02

alimente
LeonidP
HMS

Exactly.

His "so what, tastes may differ"-attitude is fake. In truth he's acting like a troll, always trying to provoke.

Yes, 'troll' is the perfect word!

Date: March 5, 2016 19:35

Be nice guys, there is obviously humour involved here as well..

Date: March 8, 2016 17:41

HMS
Dirty Work isnt that bad. At least half of the album should please even the most critical fan. And it is less 80s-sounding than Undercover or Steel Wheels.

That's ridiculous. DW is the most 80s sounding album. It's not even cringe worthy, it is a cringe. And any critical fan would admit that buying it was a waste of money yet they might like a couple of songs from it. Being critical requires admitting when things are bad - and DW is bad.

The Stones do make bad albums.

They've done it twice, with TSMR and DW.

Some people may think they've made more than 2 bad albums with STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO, BRIDGES and BANG being obvious selections. Considering the size of the Stones' discography it's quite reasonable to say they've made some bad albums, especially anything post-1981 (I love UNDERCOVER but as a critical fan it's very odd, even though it's the last truly inventive Stones album where they seemed to still care in what they were doing, with some pretty good songs on it and decent filler).

EOMS is a great album - even if it is "too long". To me it has 2 too many songs on it, with I Just Wanna See His Face and Sweet Black Angel being unnecessary, yet I still listen to those tunes and like them. Regardless, that doesn't detract from it being a great album: there are still 16 awesome tunes on it. That's considerably different than an album that, at best, should've been not released and only a single with a B-side should've been released (preferably Had It With You) or an EP.

Because DIRTY WORK is that bad.

The sound of SOME GIRLS tends to make me not like it as much as it should be liked but the songs on it are, for the most part, outstanding. That's when songwriting wins out over production. How someone can say SOME GIRLS (and GOATS HEAD SOUP) only has "a couple good tracks" reminds me of the mindset of people that say they like AC/DC because they own BACK IN BLACK: it doesn't add up.

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: March 8, 2016 17:44

Tops
Talking about JJF.. the first couple of concerts in 89 included the studiointro. Interesting.
Soundcheck Steel Wheels 1989
[www.youtube.com]

Big T

Date: March 8, 2016 17:49

JustinCaseBandDK
Tops
Talking about JJF.. the first couple of concerts in 89 included the studiointro. Interesting.
Soundcheck Steel Wheels 1989
[www.youtube.com]

Good grief that's just... weird.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home