Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 1, 2016 11:38

Indeed that nylon guitar sound,yuck.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 1, 2016 11:54

DandelionPowderman
When I put on SMU I don't hear plastic, and it's the same with BS, JFF and Satisfaction as well. All rocking versions, albeit with some show-arranging (horns).

There's nothing 80s-sounding on the four songs I mentioned. Not on Sad Sad Sad either, for that matter smiling smiley

The «plastic», however was saved for Miss You and Rock And A Hard Place (+ the live sampler-version of I Just Wanna Make Love To You, with its horrendous synth harp).

The excellent B-side 2000 Light Years From Home should have been included on Flashpoint, though.

There are more synths on Fingerprint File and Time Waits For No One combined than on the good part of Flashpoint. Just saying...

Perhaps people don't like the sound of Keith's nylon string-guitar, and that's why they don't like RT, PIB and FG? Beats me...

You remember the beginning of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, where Mick is saying something like "everybody seems to be ready" and then the guitar just makes a single note, maybe a wrong start, of Jumping Jack Flash? That's the sort of sound I miss on Flashpoint. I think Keith's acoustic work on Ruby Tuesday is great but it's just not enough to get me excited.
Sad Sad Sad, I can hear Ronnie and Keith "weaving", but everything sounds thin, there are no bum notes, no dynamics, no aggression.

Date: March 1, 2016 12:00

matxil
DandelionPowderman
When I put on SMU I don't hear plastic, and it's the same with BS, JFF and Satisfaction as well. All rocking versions, albeit with some show-arranging (horns).

There's nothing 80s-sounding on the four songs I mentioned. Not on Sad Sad Sad either, for that matter smiling smiley

The «plastic», however was saved for Miss You and Rock And A Hard Place (+ the live sampler-version of I Just Wanna Make Love To You, with its horrendous synth harp).

The excellent B-side 2000 Light Years From Home should have been included on Flashpoint, though.

There are more synths on Fingerprint File and Time Waits For No One combined than on the good part of Flashpoint. Just saying...

Perhaps people don't like the sound of Keith's nylon string-guitar, and that's why they don't like RT, PIB and FG? Beats me...

You remember the beginning of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, where Mick is saying something like "everybody seems to be ready" and then the guitar just makes a single note, maybe a wrong start, of Jumping Jack Flash? That's the sort of sound I miss on Flashpoint. I think Keith's acoustic work on Ruby Tuesday is great but it's just not enough to get me excited.
Sad Sad Sad, I can hear Ronnie and Keith "weaving", but everything sounds thin, there are no bum notes, no dynamics, no aggression.

I don't disagree, don't get me wrong, but it was impossible to sound like that in 1989. Not really the Stones's fault.

IMO, we have to judge Flashpoint for what it is: 1989 live music.

Of course there are bum notes, and there is no doubt about SMU having tons of aggression. But to achieve the semi-amateurish, lovely garage-sound of 1969 they'd had to scrap all the equipment, lose the backing musicians and book a club (and do some overdubs, of course) smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 1, 2016 14:01

I remember all my non-Stones-fans-friends liked it back then. Personally of all 1989/90 recordings I know I like "Seventh Of July" the most. You all know it very well, if not, watch out for this one. Much better than Atlantic City.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 1, 2016 14:21

Shit

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 1, 2016 14:49

Well I'm not a big fan of the Steel wheels/Urban Jungle tours. Cheesy keyboards, sterile sound, too slick, no soul...

But ,as someone said, it was the late 80's. It was impossible to sound like they did in 81/82.

And it was a very important tour for the band. And the "middleoftheroad"-way of playing the songs actually gained them a lot of new fans.

But talking about Flashpoint.

The highlights of the tour are not included....

Bitch (Atlantic City), Almost Hear You Sigh (Tokyo/London), Play With Fire (Cdsingle), Salt of The Earth (Atlantic City)

My own version of Flashpoint:
Start Me Up
Bitch
Ruby Tuesday
Play With Fire
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Women
Salt Of The Earth
Factory Girl
Before They Make Me Run
Almost Hear You Sigh
Paint It Black
2000 Light Year From Home
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumpin Jack Flash
Satisfaction

Date: March 1, 2016 15:18

HMS
I remember all my non-Stones-fans-friends liked it back then. Personally of all 1989/90 recordings I know I like "Seventh Of July" the most. You all know it very well, if not, watch out for this one. Much better than Atlantic City.

7th Of July is a great show, albeit a lot cleaner-sounding than Atlantic City.

And all those ballads! What's with that? An endless string of ballads. They were lovely, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2016 18:04

DandelionPowderman
People on here don't like Factory Girl, Paint It, Black, Ruby Tuesday or the killer version of SMU?

Describing it as a piece of shit. Really?

I agree, Dandy. Those 4 make the album for me. I like "Highwire" too.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 1, 2016 18:26

Rockman
Sweet Thing is truly sweet!

Sure is ... Got a 12" somewhere with different mixes on it...Great Stuff

In the beginning, when life was simple
We were at each other night and day
You were so sensual and so inventive
We said we'd stick together come what may

In the beginning, you were so brutal
You turned the heat on in the afternoon
Get so excited, get so addicted
You had me eating from your golden spoon ................mmmmmmmmm

Sweeeeeeet!

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: March 1, 2016 18:28

LeonidP
great B-sides, Street Fighting Man

Is that on a Flashpoint-single???

Big T

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 1, 2016 18:38

JustinCaseBandDK
LeonidP
great B-sides, Street Fighting Man

Is that on a Flashpoint-single???

It was a b-side to Jumpin' Jack Flash but it was from "At The Max" not "Flashpoint".

[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 18:52 by Deltics.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 1, 2016 18:46

I was so excited to see them on this Steel Wheels Tour. Fresh, excitement, and great set lists. Yet this comes across as a sterile album and when compared to the good from the vault releases it is far too polished. I prefer From the Vault Tokyo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 1, 2016 21:30

matxil
DandelionPowderman

You remember the beginning of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, where Mick is saying something like "everybody seems to be ready" and then the guitar just makes a single note, maybe a wrong start, of Jumping Jack Flash? That's the sort of sound I miss on Flashpoint.

Nobody remembers Mick saying something like that since he didn't say it, Sam Cutler said "Everybody seems to be ready"...

Date: March 1, 2016 21:44

Start Me Up - Awesome. Atlantic City had the best performance of it. Way better than the studio version for the same reason Honky Tonk Women on LOVE YOU LIVE is better than the studio version - it just is. And it's different, it's played better.
Sad Sad Sad - Of the 3 STEEL WHEELS songs on the album this is the only one they should've bothered with. It's decent. It's new.
Miss You - The performance of this tune was good and it's interesting but overall, eh, whatever.
Rock and a Hard Place - Absolutely horrible.
Ruby Tuesday - Interesting but unnecessary.
You Can't Always Get What You Want - Decent.
Factory Girl - This is cool.
Can't Be Seen - Horrible.
Little Red Rooster - Horrible.
Paint It Black - Interesting, although the LIVE LICKS version is better.
Sympathy for the Devil - It was interesting when it came out but it's aged horribly.
Brown Sugar - Decent. LIVE LICKS version is way better.
Jumpin' Jack Flash - Horrible.
Satisfaction - Horrible.

Studio tracks:

Highwire - SW leftover, it's SBN.
Sex Drive - Nice guitar in this one but otherwise pointless.

I only ever listen to Start Me Up. The sound of the Stones being clean and tidy, very un-Stones, unlike how GYYYO and STILL LIFE are, superior live albums to this piece of dog shit. Their most pointless live album ever.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:09

Little Red Rooster is pure magic. Eric Clapton is wonderful on that one.

The rest is bloated 80/90s-style stadium rock. The Stones did what everybody else did at that time. They had no choice. Their music lost much of its dirtiness, but the worst thing were their hilarious costumes.

Date: March 1, 2016 22:11

Little Red Rooster is horrible with all of those squiddily squiddily notes Clapton vomits out. How anyone can think that is good is not on Earth.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 1, 2016 22:19

Yes, very good in a sense but way too polished. Almost too good. I like it but I prefer the rough sloppiness of Love You Live and Still Life. I won't even mention Ya Ya's as it belongs in a class of superiority all it's own.

Date: March 1, 2016 23:24

I deleted Can't Be Seen, RAAHP and Little Red Rooster from FLASHPOINT on my media player they're so bad. That's happened with some other Stones albums, with one live album being deleted entirely (that would be the amazingly awful SHINE A LIGHT).

Date: March 2, 2016 00:07

Buy the vinyl instead. The original release is without CBS and RAAHP.

I bet you manage to suffer through the Chuck and Clapton-show on LRR smiling smiley

Date: March 2, 2016 00:07

A week or two before FLASHPOINT came out there was some EP sent to radio stations that featured Start Me Up and, I think, Paint It Black and Miss You.

But Start Me Up was played on the radio and it sounded just jaw dropping awesome.

FLASHPOINT had quite good hype it seemed, a lot of buildup, and I think there may have been some tie in with the AT THE MAX movie.

I don't know how STILL LIFE fared regarding its "visibility" since it was released at the start the 1982 tour.

Date: March 2, 2016 00:09

They shoulda used the Atlantic City Start Me Up...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 2, 2016 00:10

A bit slower and chunkier performance in Dallas...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 2, 2016 00:12

Rehearsal from Philly...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 2, 2016 00:27

There was also a live sampler with Play With Fire and I Just Wanna Make Love To You (among others), if memory serves..

Date: March 2, 2016 00:28

I did a search for promo discs and found zero! Seems like there'd be some listed.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 2, 2016 15:35

Some pop band doing the Rolling Stones (exception Little Red Rooster due to brilliant guitar work not only by EC). Sterile, clinical, polished and flat, the live testimonium of the beginning of the Vegas years. A very good rocker is Highwire.

Date: March 2, 2016 15:41

OK, now so many people are describing Flashpoint as «sterile», «a piece of shit» and «a pop band».

It's time to explain what you mean here – in detail. Sterile won't do, as I know a thing or two about sound. Can you point me to what's shitty about the performance on following tunes – especially why they don't rock?

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 2, 2016 16:08

DandelionPowderman
OK, now so many people are describing Flashpoint as «sterile», «a piece of shit» and «a pop band».

It's time to explain what you mean here – in detail. Sterile won't do, as I know a thing or two about sound.

The performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash on the 1989-90 tours is that it's too fast, it's almost monotone and the backing vocals are just awful... it sounds like angry mall music. I think that's what people mean by sterile. Some of the songs sounded really good played fast - like Start Me Up. But you can't take a song that has a menacing swagger to it, like Jumpin' Jack Flash or as they did in 1990, Street Fighting Man, and not only cut its balls off but make it real shiny by playing it too fast without any oomph.

FLASHPOINT is that sound, no oomph. LOVE YOU LIVE has oomph, as bad as it is. Hell, LIVE LICKS has oomph.

Date: March 2, 2016 16:21

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

It's time to explain what you mean here – in detail. Sterile won't do, as I know a thing or two about sound.

The performance of Jumpin' Jack Flash on the 1989-90 tours is that it's too fast, it's almost monotone and the backing vocals are just awful... it sounds like angry mall music. I think that's what people mean by sterile. Some of the songs sounded really good played fast - like Start Me Up. But you can't take a song that has a menacing swagger to it, like Jumpin' Jack Flash or as they did in 1990, Street Fighting Man, and not only cut its balls off but make it real shiny by playing it too fast without any oomph.

FLASHPOINT is that sound, no oomph. LOVE YOU LIVE has oomph, as bad as it is. Hell, LIVE LICKS has oomph.

I can see that, but I didn't see people complaining about this in 1982. The Leeds-version, for instance, is way faster than this. And the backing singers are lower in the mix on Flashpoint than on other live versions from this tour...

Date: March 2, 2016 16:23

Of JJF?

It wasn't good in 1981-82 either! But it was "better". I bet there were people complaining about it back then, you just couldn't read it on the internet.

They haven't played JJF worth a shit since 1971.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 17:14 by GasLightStreet.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home