Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 8, 2016 18:29

Apart from the messed up intro this appears to be a great version, I love it. From what bootleg is this taken?

Dirty-Work-tracks that should appeal more or less to the majority of Stones-afficionados:

One Hit
Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Very few arguments speak against these tracks, imo.

Dirty-Work-tracks some fans might not like:

Fight - not much melody
Hold Back - not much melody
Winning Ugly - very "jaggerish" and indeed 80s
Back To Zero - same

That makes DW a decent album since almost every Stones-album contains tracks that are not everybody´s cup of tea. At least six tracks of ten should be okay with most listeners ( I happen to love them all, including Back To Zero & Winning Ugly and I love the pure energy of Fight & Hold Back).

post scriptum: the 30 seconds of Key To The Highway should please EVERYBODY.smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 11, 2016 05:37

HMS
Apart from the messed up intro this appears to be a great version, I love it. From what bootleg is this taken?

Dirty-Work-tracks that should appeal more or less to the majority of Stones-afficionados:

One Hit
Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Dirty Work
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Very few arguments speak against these tracks, imo.

Although you do make some sense with that, you're way off with the "afficionados" part. An aficionado would only have DIRTY WORK for the completion aspect of the discography, the results of which would be 'this album sucks'.

Very few arguments speak against those tracks but... regardless of how "good" they are, very few arguments speak for those tracks.

HMS
Dirty-Work-tracks some fans might not like:

Fight - not much melody
Hold Back - not much melody
Winning Ugly - very "jaggerish" and indeed 80s
Back To Zero - same

Ehhhh, no. There's no "might" in that not liking. But the "some" is true - about all 3 of you that are here, at least visibly.

HMS
That makes DW a decent album since almost every Stones-album contains tracks that are not everybody´s cup of tea.

Wrong. Reality much? Oh wait. Did I really just ask that? Nevermind. No Stones album has as many tracks that "are not everybody's cup of tea" like this pile of cow dung has. And for any serious true Stones fan, the tracks on DIRTY WORK amount to being worthy? Zero is the number.

HMS
At least six tracks of ten should be okay with most listeners.

That is beside the point of the album sucking. 6 of 10 tracks being "okay with most listeners" does not equate to the album or the tracks being good, it's simply that they're "okay with most listeners". No where does that equate to being good or great Stones tracks that people want to listen to.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 17:02

You guys spend too much time trying to convince HMS that his taste is terrible. He doesn't get it, and doesn't care about your arguments. Its a wasted case. Let him ramble on with his inane opinions and total lack of understanding. Its a sideshow like a bad reality show.

Date: January 26, 2019 08:26

Sex Drive X Rated Version with nude models: [youtu.be]

Date: January 26, 2019 08:36

Highwire - Official Promo [vk.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 26, 2019 08:37

DiegoGlimmerStones

Nice
Jeroen

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 26, 2019 12:08

Ive got a bo-nerrr. Drivin me maaad.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 26, 2019 13:27

Aren't we getting a wee bit off-topic ? The merits of Flashpoint need to be discussed.

I think it's a good live album, but when you consider the previous live album was Still Life, which was a bit sloppy, there's a marked contrast. Granted, Urban Jungle was my first gig, and I enjoyed the gig, but I feel the Japanese vault series albums, From The Vault, and From The Vault Extra, were more indicative of what I enjoyed. Flashpoint was a highlights album, but with live tracks tweaked in the studio, and 2 extra studio tracks, of which Sex Drive is a seriously underrated funky number.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 26, 2019 14:03

DiegoGlimmerStones
Highwire - Official Promo [vk.com]

This underrated song would have been perfect on Steel Wheels. A great second single after Mixed Emotions.

C'mon guys...now sing this song all together!!
smiling bouncing smiley
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-26 14:07 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 26, 2019 14:37

liked flashpoint when it first came out, first paint it black since the 60,s, but the setlist wasnt great and the album steel wheels hasnt grown with age.

the 1989-90 live performances dont interest me much these days, they have done far better since.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 26, 2019 16:41

buttons67
liked flashpoint when it first came out, first paint it black since the 60,s, but the setlist wasnt great and the album steel wheels hasnt grown with age.

the 1989-90 live performances dont interest me much these days, they have done far better since.

True, and agreed; the 1989-90 performances weren't as good as the Voodoo / Stripped / No Security eras. I think there were too many on the stage in 1989/90, and that better song choices were on later tours.

Date: January 26, 2019 19:31

tomcasagranda
buttons67

True, and agreed; the 1989-90 performances weren't as good as the Voodoo / Stripped / No Security eras. I think there were too many on the stage in 1989/90, and that better song choices were on later tours.

STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE was a slick greatest hits show, essentially HOT ROCKS and REWIND, without any menace to them, with the possible exception being Midnight Rambler, which was pretty good. Throwing in Ruby Tuesday, Paint It Black, Play With Fire and 2000 Light Years was interesting at least.

TATTOO YOU's tour featured up to seven TY tracks in totality (SMU, Hang Fire, Neighbours, Black Limo, Little T&A, Tops, Waiting On A Friend) as I recall but with a decent smattering of 1970s tracks with the obligatory Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice and what, 5 SOME GIRLS tracks being played - a truer new LP tour than STEEL WHEELS, even though SW tracks were featured, as many as 6 being played in totality, as I recall. Still a decent amount for a new LP tour but much heavier with the hits tracks than 1981-82. It seems, anyway.

And similar to the TY tour featuring at least 2 tracks from a previous LP, Let Me Go and She's So Cold, STEEL WHEELS did feature up to 3 tracks from the previous 2 albums, which they smartly whittled down to 2.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 26, 2019 22:34

What striked me first was the artwork! Cover and inner sleeve stuff: Any bullshit bootleger at the time put more emphasis on that than the official ones...

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 27, 2019 00:03

It was for me a huge dissapointment when this album came out.
I already had the bootlegs Urban Jungle (the Japanese version of Wembley, later in Europe released as Seventh of July), Altantic City, Tokyo and Basel.
This official one sounds too clean, too much studio.
I read somewhere that Wood did two or three solo's in the studio again. This is so clear on Start me up. Everyone who has once listened to a solo of Wood knows that he doesn't sound live as he does on Flashpoint.
Also on Rock and a Hard Place the hornsection who is credit on Flashpoint is the same who plays on the studio version on Steel Wheels, so it looks like the studio version was edit over the original live version somehow.
Also all the backing singing is done again in the studio and some Jagger singing.
Keith sounds way to good singing on Can't be seen, he didn't sound like that live in 1989.
So it's hardly a live album anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 21:09 by GJV.

Date: January 27, 2019 03:50

runrudolph
DiegoGlimmerStones

Nice
Jeroen
Yeah, amazing video ;-)

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 27, 2019 04:13

The mix is pretty sterile sounding, especially considering Bill was still playing with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 04:15 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 27, 2019 04:25

First stones record I ever bought the day it came out. Still think "Highwire" is a great track, but better document of the tour is the Tokyo Vault release.

Date: January 27, 2019 19:40

Strange title choice for the album. Perhaps it was a nod to the opening of the show, because after Start Me Up, there isn't really anything incendiary about it.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 28, 2019 09:14

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 09:16 by SKILLS.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 28, 2019 13:54

ryanpow
The mix is pretty sterile sounding, especially considering Bill was still playing with them.

I agree, and the bassguitar is way too low in the mix. Almost inaudible. The Vault release from Tokyo sounds much better.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: January 28, 2019 14:34

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 28, 2019 17:17

As for me, they should have included Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, 2000 Lightyears and Terrifying.

Sympathy and Gimme Shelter were just superb on the Steel/Jungle tour. I had always been kind of indifferent towards 2000 Lightyears until I experienced it live. They performed it just great on that tour. Admittedly, Terrifying didn't sound much different from the studio version, but it's a cool and somewhat different song that worked great in concert.

Date: January 28, 2019 17:28

doitywoik
As for me, they should have included Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, 2000 Lightyears and Terrifying.

Sympathy and Gimme Shelter were just superb on the Steel/Jungle tour. I had always been kind of indifferent towards 2000 Lightyears until I experienced it live. They performed it just great on that tour. Admittedly, Terrifying didn't sound much different from the studio version, but it's a cool and somewhat different song that worked great in concert.

They included Sympathy For The Devil, though. And they released 2000 Light Years From Home on the Highwire-single. The latter definitely earned its spot on the live album. Brilliant versions.

They did great versions of GS and Terrifying on the SW-tour indeed thumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 28, 2019 17:46

Somebody remarked earlier that Flash Point was such a huge contrast with Still Life.

The Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour was really the beginning of what some folks call the Vegas era .

For better or worse, depending on your point of view, it signalled a new, more sophisticated but less spontaneous kind of show... with songs arranged more like the record, to provide as sort of live action greatest hits experience to please the perceived typical punter.

Me ? I preferred the unruly guitar band with a bit of brass & keyboard embellishment ...but I've still greatly enjoyed the Vegas era shows and don't hold the grudges that some folks around here do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 17:48 by Spud.

Date: January 28, 2019 21:12

DandelionPowderman
doitywoik

They included Sympathy For The Devil, though. And they released 2000 Light Years From Home on the Highwire-single. The latter definitely earned its spot on the live album. Brilliant versions.

They did great versions of GS and Terrifying on the SW-tour indeed

I got SEVENTH OF JULY in the mail back in 1991, a little bit after FLASHPOINT came out, and I was floored by how good it was. In comparison to FLASHPOINT, JULY had a ton of better material on it - more new songs, more old songs. Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh (the 2 CD singles were essentially greatest hits EPs), Happy, Tumbling Dice, 2000 Light Years, Street Fighting Man, a fantastic version of IORR.

Granted, the FLASHPOINT singles had tracks that didn't make the album, like Play With Fire (what a shame - it's fantastic) and Undercover Of The Night, rightfully so kept off the album, with it's horrible overdubs, oddly they included YCAGWYW, Factory Girl and RAAHP, as well as Tumbling Dice and Street Fighting Man from the iMax movie, I Just Want To Make Love To You and Harlem Shuffle.

I'd buy JULY again if it was a vault release. Since they did HAMPTON and LEEDS from the TATTOO YOU tours it would be fantastic if they put out ATLANTIC CITY and 7th OF JULY, which I suppose would be simply LIVE IN LONDON or something like that - just as with HAMPTON and LEEDS, both releases would reveal the idiosyncrasies of how the songs evolved, at least the new songs anyways.

Date: January 28, 2019 22:00

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
doitywoik

They did great versions of GS and Terrifying on the SW-tour indeed

I got SEVENTH OF JULY in the mail back in 1991, a little bit after FLASHPOINT came out, and I was floored by how good it was. In comparison to FLASHPOINT, JULY had a ton of better material on it - more new songs, more old songs. Midnight Rambler, Gimme Shelter, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Almost Hear You Sigh (the 2 CD singles were essentially greatest hits EPs), Happy, Tumbling Dice, 2000 Light Years, Street Fighting Man, a fantastic version of IORR.

Granted, the FLASHPOINT singles had tracks that didn't make the album, like Play With Fire (what a shame - it's fantastic) and Undercover Of The Night, rightfully so kept off the album, with it's horrible overdubs, oddly they included YCAGWYW, Factory Girl and RAAHP, as well as Tumbling Dice and Street Fighting Man from the iMax movie, I Just Want To Make Love To You and Harlem Shuffle.

I'd buy JULY again if it was a vault release. Since they did HAMPTON and LEEDS from the TATTOO YOU tours it would be fantastic if they put out ATLANTIC CITY and 7th OF JULY, which I suppose would be simply LIVE IN LONDON or something like that - just as with HAMPTON and LEEDS, both releases would reveal the idiosyncrasies of how the songs evolved, at least the new songs anyways.

I bought the vinyl LP first, and RAAHP and Can't Be Seen were not included.. So, I never counted those tunes as part of Flashpoint.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 27, 2019 05:02

Just got a copy of this today, it making me a happy camper winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2019 05:22

… what caravan park ya stayin'in ?????????????????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 27, 2019 05:55

[m.youtube.com] this one winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2019 06:29

…. hope so Paddy ….

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home