Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Still Life (1981 American Concert)
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 5, 2016 20:40

DandelionPowderman
I grew up with this album, right after getting TY (my first Stones album). I was blown away, by the sound and the playing. I'm still blown away...

I think it was a nice touch with the covers, especially the ones they never had recorded before. TFR and GTAGG are the Stones at their best, imo. UMT, LSTNT and TIOMS are excellent.

*any dude (meaning you) that can look at a RS photo and say: xyz guitar in F flat, knuckle finger on 2, therefore that can only mean 'Beast of Burden' or whatever, has street cred for life w/ me,
but I must admit I will be disappointed if now that we have Vault 1982 Leeds
'Going To A Go Go'
you still want to listen to the 1981 Still Life album version.
I realize I'm starting to sound like a Leeds '82 broken LP,
but those CD's are INCREDIBLE. (In my layman no guitar musician strong opinion).

Date: February 5, 2016 20:54

35love
DandelionPowderman
I grew up with this album, right after getting TY (my first Stones album). I was blown away, by the sound and the playing. I'm still blown away...

I think it was a nice touch with the covers, especially the ones they never had recorded before. TFR and GTAGG are the Stones at their best, imo. UMT, LSTNT and TIOMS are excellent.

*any dude (meaning you) that can look at a RS photo and say: xyz guitar in F flat, knuckle finger on 2, therefore that can only mean 'Beast of Burden' or whatever, has street cred for life w/ me,
but I must admit I will be disappointed if now that we have Vault 1982 Leeds
'Going To A Go Go'
you still want to listen to the 1981 Still Life album version.
I realize I'm starting to sound like a Leeds '82 broken LP,
but those CD's are INCREDIBLE. (In my layman no guitar musician strong opinion).

True, but in 1982 this was all we had from this tour smiling smiley

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 5, 2016 21:04

I remember when Still Life came out. It was very popular. It rocked. Under My Thumb and Let's spend the Night Together were finally released as a great live rocking versions. I know someone who loved Let's Spend the Night Together live but didn't really care for the 'old 60's' version.

I was glad to get the album. It's still some of my favorite Stones. Go-Go rocks! Time is on My Side is awesome. Imagination is great.

I could pick it apart by why bother. You need to understand it was made for the general population - short and sweet.

Later when I got a recording of the Tempe show with it's incredible long jam, I though, WOW! I heard that the Tempe show should be released in From the Vaults series.

I never liked 20 Flight Rock. Go-Go was very cool. Love it.

Satisfaction I like better in the official video where Keith wacks the guy with the guitar!

I think some of the other songs that were considered for the album ended-up on the King Biscuit Flower Hour releases. Some alternate versions of the songs on Still Life and a great Waiting on a friend, Black Limousine and Let It Bleed.

If you like Still Life then get KBFH CDs.I read someone said we don't need the KBFH since a lot (all?) of the material is out now. The KBFH are great live 1981 albums on their own. They have their own mixes compared to what was streamed online. Better quality too.

KBFH also used Miss You from Hampton with it's own mix. Nice version for 1981!

I often thought, "What if Still Life was a double album?" What if it was 80 minuted CD length adding KBFH tracks and maybe a longer Imagination?

Now we have Hamptons, KBFH and Leeds. The possibilities.... however I think Leeds is not 1981 and is a 'different animal' slightly.

ExileStones

p.s. Neighbors and Black Limousine along with Imagination are great too!

New Orleans

Date: February 5, 2016 21:19

p.s. and of course Beast of Burden was played on KBFH and officially released from Des Plains (Chicago) 1981.

Date: February 5, 2016 21:36

What is KBFH, and how could they release Stones tracks?

Do you mean bootlegs of tracks aired on the radio?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 5, 2016 21:50

Pretty tepid live album, and I can't even watch the movie now that we've got great BluRay DVDs from '81 and '82. The only highlights for me were Twenty Flight Rock and Going to A Go Go.

Date: February 5, 2016 21:54

Orlando photos by Red Huber

I always appreciate the trouble people here on IORR got to identifying where a photo is from and the photographer. I always want to know who and where. Tumblr and the other one drive me nuts. I often right-click on an image and select "Search Google for Image" to look for a better copy of the image (photo), the date/location and the photographer. Thank you everyone here!

When you find the photographer and Google the photographer's name and 'Rolling Stones' there's often more images available. Of course I'm not telling many of us anything but not everyone is an avid (rabid) Stones photo searcher as some of us.

I'd be glad to share any and every photo I have with you. I'd love more help identifying the. I always try to make the file name of my photo to include any info that I have. Right-click the above photos I posted and you'll see.

When I date code photos i put the year then month then day as that is the only way the will fall in to chronological (time) order. example 810829 is August 29, 1981.

I can easily share photos on smugmug.com and they can all be downloaded with a click (all at once from any group of photos). I would love help identifying photos. I'll post this in a new thread. Help would be appreciated.

If anyone is interested in doing this Rolling Stones photo project, please let me know. Post here, a new thread or email me please at PhotoMedia@live.com .

I only have a limited amount of storage space, so uploads will be for a limited time.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: February 5, 2016 22:42

Was 13 then this came out and a bit obsessed with them, loved the gatefold sleeve and thinking that the version of UMT was the greasest thing I'd ever heard. Let Me Go not far behind. The whole thing reaked of decadence, Jagger's drawel before LSTNT and the chorus on Time. Watched the video after and it all made perfect sense.

Date: February 6, 2016 02:41

Great pics, thank you-
They shoulda put Philadelphia '81 'Tops' on Still Life. Now we're talkin'
I shoulda been able to use the RS tickets I won in '81 to see them
coulda woulda shoulda shoodbie shattered

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: February 6, 2016 03:16

Love the way they kicked off with under My thumb !!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 6, 2016 03:38

bitusa2012
My all time worst Stones record. Even worse than Dirty Work. Crappy sound, weedy guitars, dreadful vocals. Only redeeming feature, just, is Going to a GoGo.

Cannot stand it....

Eggzactly! Well almost, not worse than Dirty Work, but to me it is the Dirty Work of live albums. Problem for me was, I got the Hampton boot around the same time (cant' remember now which came first) and to me that was far superior -- I hated the overdubs as well!

When I go for a live album from this era, I stick w/ the bootlegs, any one from '78 will do, and specifically for '81, it is Hampton!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 6, 2016 04:02

A party album very much of it`s age. Look at Jagger. Too much cocaine around. They were playing too fast. Who would have guessed ten years before they were still around by then.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 6, 2016 05:53

Overall, a very bad product. same for the film..

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 6, 2016 05:55

The opening with UMT always results in a big adrenaline rush!

Date: February 6, 2016 08:37

Brstonesfan

Two completely different-sounding products.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 6, 2016 08:54

DandelionPowderman
Brstonesfan

And, at the time, both were great documents. Their shortcomings today are due to the loads of great material that have come out over the years.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 6, 2016 09:54

noughties
They were playing too fast

Maybe Still Life feels a liitle rushed. Hampton is not. SMU is the only song played too fast.

Date: February 6, 2016 10:57

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Brstonesfan

And, at the time, both were great documents. Their shortcomings today are due to the loads of great material that have come out over the years.

Yes. It should be judged by its relevance at the time it was released. It won't become poor just because a superior full show from the same tour came out 27 years later.

4 of the Still Life-songs are from Hampton anyway, and UMT and LMG are better on Still Life smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 6, 2016 13:54

This was my first Stones-live-album and I loved it back then. So many years later it is still great fun and pleasure to listen to. "Crappy sound"? I love the sound of my vinyl-copy. Listened to the CD-version only once or twice. Dont know why some people dont like the album, I like the songs and the way they are played. This, imo, is the "real Stones" for the last time, the next tour they were "The Rolling Stones Big Band performing the music of Jagger/Richards". And I like MickĀ“s singing on the Still-Life-album. Love the Rocks-Off/LSTNT-movie too.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 6, 2016 17:42

Never like it...
The LP i had sounded very "tinny" and thin...the guitars sucked balls..
Inferior performances of alot of songs.
How people can say this is the greatest is beyond me...

Date: February 6, 2016 17:53

So, we are reviewing it based when it was released/ our nostalgic feelings?
Okay.
I have a rather Shakespearean tragic, backstabbing betrayal story surrounding my NON attendance to the 1981 Rolling Stones concert in St. Paul, MN
I rarely speak of it,
but re-told the story out loud this week when my brother phoned me,
and I included the twisted knife details,
which 30 years later he still says: are you kidding me?!

So 'Still Life'
I did not cozy up to when released.
And now I have (thank you Vault) Leeds 1982 which makes me giddy happy.

P.S.
It's hard not to stay bitter. Gotta move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 17:55 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2016 18:25

A fine document of that tour which was the first time I saw the Stones.
I was giddy when I learned there would be a live album, and played it to death for months after it's release.
It's a 1981 time capsule of the Stones when they were still somewhat 'dangerous' when playing live - on the edge and sloppy good.
Those were the days.............

Date: February 6, 2016 22:03

35love
Great pics, thank you-
They shoulda put Philadelphia '81 'Tops' on Still Life. Now we're talkin'
I shoulda been able to use the RS tickets I won in '81 to see them
coulda woulda shoulda shoodbie shattered

and maybe Down the Road Apiece from NJ!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 6, 2016 22:12

saltoftheearth
GasLightStreet
saltoftheearth
For overdubs on this album an LOVE YOU LIVE

see notes by Walter Schaeppi

[mikiwiki.org])

I looked at that. Not only did it make no sense, it didn't do anything.

You're right, sorry. The only thing you can do is searching for 'Still Life' under 'Suchen' and follow the link.

Basically Schaeppi says that there is much overdubbed studio singing and some shortened Songs on the album. However, 'Let's spend the night together is 100% live.

Even though LSTNT isn't 100% live if you want to ask, Who's playing the third guitar during the break? And it's not just from the one show either, considering the (geniusly done) splice from a different show.

Of course some songs are edited to be shorter - Imagination is obviously shorter. But remember, this was done back when editing songs to be shorter was actually an art...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2016 11:46

Nowadays, after these archive and vault releases which document the tour better by far, a nice add-on, always I loved Shattered. The best track, though, isn't on the album, it is Beast of Burden as flip side of the single.

Date: May 2, 2016 11:51

The best tracks on this album will always be Twenty Flight Rock and Going To A Go Go, imo. How can those tracks be topped?

The guitar solo on Twenty Flight Rock is absolutely ace thumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 2, 2016 17:32

DandelionPowderman
The best tracks on this album will always be Twenty Flight Rock and Going To A Go Go, imo. How can those tracks be topped?

The guitar solo on Twenty Flight Rock is absolutely ace thumbs up[/quote

Another great thing about TFR is Wyman's rollicking up and down the neck bass lines! Just one example of why the Stones just don't sound quite the same without him!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:03

DandelionPowderman

The guitar solo on Twenty Flight Rock is absolutely ace thumbs up

Yes, in fact ...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 2, 2016 18:22

DandelionPowderman
What is KBFH, and how could they release Stones tracks?

Do you mean bootlegs of tracks aired on the radio?

King Biscuit Flower Hour...my love for this LP knows no bounds. My friends and I would lip sync to it and jump around the living room playing tennis rackets in place of guitars...so cool

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:41

Disliked. It felt like the guitarists were just noodling, not really playing the riffs, Charlie was just going through the motions, Jagger running around and shouting between breaths, the oldies were silly.
I think that was the last tour when they showed up and just winged it. Jagger then 'retired' from the Stones and only agreed to come back if they tightened up and sacrificed spontaneity for professionalism (just my theory).

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home