Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are their "best" albums the ones you listen to most?
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 21, 2022 22:48

Beggars
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile

These albums are widely acknowledged to be the peak of the Stone's recorded output, but are they your go-to albums when you listen to the Stones?

For me it's:

Aftermath
Black and Blue
Emotional Rescue
Steel Wheels
Goats Head Soup

I hardly ever go to the "best" albums for my Stones fix. If I do choose Exile or Some Girls it will always be for the new, extra tracks over the original tracks.

What are your preferences?

Re: Are their "best" albums the ones you listen to most?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 21, 2022 23:01

IORR
Let it Bleed
Decembers Children
TSMR
Sticky Fingers

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 21, 2022 23:36

No, this is a very good question: Even if I do not listen to the Stones as much as I used to, I sill listen to them - over all decades. Their later records have a swing of their own.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2022 23:56

I don't think people listen to albums the way they used to do anymore. I sure can't remember when I listened to an album in its entirety the last time.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 22, 2022 00:43

Emotional Rescue is my favorite Stones album, but I admit I skip a few tracks. Voodoo Lounge and Undercover I can listen to straight through, so I give those two the most spins. I also like the Exile bonus disc and listen to that more often than Exile. I used to make mix cassette tapes of the albums and just leave out the songs I didn't like.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 22, 2022 01:11

Ya Yas
Beggars Banquet
Exile
Tattoo You
Let it Bleed

Posted by: fela ()
Date: May 22, 2022 01:44

sticky fingers
goats head soup
love you live
emotional rescue

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: May 22, 2022 09:20

Not in priority order necessarily:

Goats Head Soup
Emotional Rescue
Undercover
Aftermath (US and UK versions)
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Exile

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 22, 2022 09:52

Stoneage
I don't think people listen to albums the way they used to do anymore. I sure can't remember when I listened to an album in its entirety the last time.

That’s probably true of casual fans of music, though I would imagine they those who view music as a real interest and hobby, will still want to hear the album as a whole, whether that’d be on vinyl or Spotify.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: May 22, 2022 10:13

Still life winking smiley

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 22, 2022 10:21

It's a really good question.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to say that the big four from Beggars to Exile are the best albums the band made, Emotional Rescue (especially on sunny days for some reason) is more frequently played. Side one of GHS is also played a lot (even more so since the remix)

What I listen to the most is my own, expertly crafted 'best live performances' playlist, though it now needs some major revision after the release of El Mocambo...

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 22, 2022 12:17

I mostly listen to the live albums, all the archive releases from the last couple of years, barely to the studio albums. Listened to them so many times my whole life that it bores me.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 22, 2022 13:21

I always go back to Between the buttons (Brittish), GHS and Emotional Rescue...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-22 13:22 by Bjorn.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 22, 2022 15:23

Best is subjective. Critically acclaimed is perhaps more indicative of what ya meant. >grinning smiley<

And under those guises, not necessarily. My most played are:

Voodoo Lounge - by a country mile
Stripped
Goats Head Soup
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers
Black & Blue
Bridges To Babylon
Dirty Work
the 4 new songs on 40 Licks
Steel Wheels Flashpoint
Flowers
Live at the Checkerboard Lounge

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: May 22, 2022 20:40

bakersfield
It's a really good question.

Although I wouldn't hesitate to say that the big four from Beggars to Exile are the best albums the band made, Emotional Rescue (especially on sunny days for some reason) is more frequently played. Side one of GHS is also played a lot (even more so since the remix)

What I listen to the most is my own, expertly crafted 'best live performances' playlist, though it now needs some major revision after the release of El Mocambo...

It's funny, what we're conditioned to accept as the "best" or VoodooLounge13 correctly stated above "Critically acclaimed", compared to what we actually listen to. Personally I don't hold albums like Pet Sounds, Blonde On Blonde, Forever Changes and Sgt. Pepper in very high regard in terms of what I listen to. I recognise and respect their importance, but I don't ever want to listen to them.

With the Stones, I think it's the sonics and production of albums like Steel Wheels, Black and Blue and Emotional Rescue that I enjoy. There's something even and balanced about these albums which makes them an enjoyable listen. I love Bridges To Babylon as well for the same reasons. Amazing songs and a great listen sonically.

Fully aware that we're dancing about architecture here :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-22 20:41 by WorriedAboutYou.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2022 23:45

Up to Tattoo You they're all interconnected in one way or another, and I play them all randomly depending on the mood.
Some I play more than others, and if push comes to shove I'd say the best are the "big four", but I would never neglect any of the others completely.
As for post- Tattoo You, I might occasionally listen to Undercover for old time sake, but the rest of the albums are grossly uneven and much of it is forgettable.
If I have the urge to play anything from the latter era, I'll listen to a tune on youtube vs. suffering through a whole cd or album (Bridges and ABB for example).
That said, I still like Ghost Town and always will - it might very well be the last original tune they ever release.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 22, 2022 23:46

I mostly play:

Tattoo You
Exile and/or its bonus disc
Voodoo Lounge

and the live albums:

Still Life
Love You Life

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 23, 2022 00:02

Metamorphosis. The diversity. Side one is easy on the ear, side two has some rare tracks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2022 00:30

Last albums I played, which I hadn't listened to for awhile, were Undercover and Emotional Rescue, and Brussels from the GHS deluxe set.

Before that the deluxe GHS disc got a few spins, very nice, as well as the Tattoo You Deluxe disc. I listened to 2 sides of Bridges to Bremen...OK, but a little uninspiring.

I definitely still play Exile, Sticky and LIB, especially Exile which I never tire of.

Black and Blue and IORR...love those also straight through. I listened to Steel Wheels awhile back, pretty over produced but great album.

It's been awhile since I've listen to anything from the 90s onward, which is an oversight on my part.

I did give the Blu-Ray of GRRR! a listen to but I just realized that was when it first came out. Damn! A superb set though.

Probably in the last year listened through the 1963-69 vinyl boxset. What a fantastic pressing that is, dead quiet. I listened to the mono boxset on CD and that is also quite superb.

But the one I'm waiting for is El Mocambo...that will be my album of the summer.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 23, 2022 02:32

Lately, I listen to these the most,
• "Emotional Rescue"
• "Some Girls - Deluxe Edition - Disc 2"
• "Steel Wheels"
• "Stripped"
• "Tatoo You"

but historicaly, that is going back
53 years, the list has changed often.

Over that time frame I have problably
listened to "Exile On Main Street",
"Sticky Fingers", and "Get Yer Ya Ya's
Out" the most times of any of their
albums.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 23, 2022 02:58

I hardly ever listen to studio albums anymore - except GHS and then it's mixed with the bonus stuff. And I listen to bonus stuff off Exile, Some girls and Tattoo you.

I always seem to end up playing live shows from all across the years.......Oh, and compilations of non album singles - remixes etc.

My top 5 though, are...

GHS
Black and blue
Undercover
Some girls
Exile

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 23, 2022 03:20

Stoneage

You simply grow older, get a job, raise a family, have more money, buy more albums - all factors combined lead to much less time one can spend on any individual album. Oh, and the digital age makes it more conveniant to skip certain tracks or select just a few compared to the good old vinyl days.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 23, 2022 03:25

El Mocambo

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 23, 2022 04:16

Undercover
Emotional Rescue
Black And Blue
It's Only Rock'N'Roll

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 23, 2022 06:55

EddieByword
I hardly ever listen to studio albums anymore - except GHS and then it's mixed with the bonus stuff. And I listen to bonus stuff off Exile, Some girls and Tattoo you.

I always seem to end up playing live shows from all across the years.......Oh, and compilations of non album singles - remixes etc.

My top 5 though, are...

GHS
Black and blue
Undercover
Some girls
Exile

I’m like this also, once I get into a band the albums barely get played and it’s live boots all the way. I still go back to the early Brian records the most if I’m gonna play studio stuff.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 23, 2022 19:32

retired_dog
Stoneage

You simply grow older, get a job, raise a family, have more money, buy more albums - all factors combined lead to much less time one can spend on any individual album. Oh, and the digital age makes it more conveniant to skip certain tracks or select just a few compared to the good old vinyl days.

I guess I'm plus one on this especially now I subscribe to Spotify. The exception though is Exile. Once Rocks Off starts if I have the time ...it's the whole caboodle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-23 19:34 by exhpart.

Date: May 23, 2022 21:22

I would say, yes. But "Hitmakers' is always at the top for me.
Actually, come to think of it, I listen to all of them, except for 'Voodoo' which I really don't like. But 'Brew' and Stew' make up for it.

Date: May 24, 2022 11:03

I'm pretty sure Aftermath is the album I've listened to the most.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2022 11:27

.... Love ta lie naked in a
back-alley and listen ta Streets Of Love ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 24, 2022 12:15

I love Beggar's Banquet, Exile and Let it Bleed, but they're not my most played RS albums.

My top 5:

- Sticky Fingers
- Tattoo You
- Steel Wheels
- The Rolling Stones Now!
- Goat's Head Soup

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home