Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Still Life (1981 American Concert)
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:52

For the most part and awful album. The Stones butchering their own songs. A good representation of the 81 tour.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:56

Turner68
GetYerAngie
The first real disappointment to me as a fan. I wasn't impressed with the sound of the quitars and Mick's singing while jogging (nothing El Mocambo there) - and Twenty flight rock and Going to a go-go were pointless and "old hat" as covers. Not to mention the intro jazz-thing. I heard it quite a lot the first month it was out, though. But the feeling of disappointment was too strong - and I turned to New wave, John Cale, Lou Reed and stuff like that putting my Stones-fanship on pause - or making it a phase that I had grown out of. And listening to Undercover and Dirty work didn't help me back on the Stones-track. The pause didn't stop till Steel Wheels.

I felt Mick's singing was much better than on any tour since 69... though certainly not as good as 89 and later.

Does someone really think that Jagger's voice today is better then it was in 81. His voice is awful now.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 18:09

This message board educated me that Mick says, "All right, sugar pop." For years it was "sugar [what's he saying here?]" to my ears.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2016 18:10

wonderboy
Disliked. It felt like the guitarists were just noodling, not really playing the riffs, Charlie was just going through the motions, Jagger running around and shouting between breaths, the oldies were silly.
I think that was the last tour when they showed up and just winged it. Jagger then 'retired' from the Stones and only agreed to come back if they tightened up and sacrificed spontaneity for professionalism (just my theory).

Yeah I think Keith wanted to keep playing the old "wing it" way but Jagger probably said he wouldn't tour in 1989 unless they could do it his slick and professional way.

Date: May 3, 2016 18:21

<It felt like the guitarists were just noodling, not really playing the riffs>

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Let's Spend The Night Together
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

You sure you're not mixing up with some other songs in the 1981/82 setlist (because some other songs were more loose..)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 18:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 3, 2016 18:25

DandelionPowderman

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

You sure you're not mixing up with some other songs in the 1981/82 setlist (because some other songs were more loose..)?
Loved the way they played the riffs in 1981...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:49

GYYYO! and STILL LIFE continue to age well; they both improve as time moves on. LOVE YOU LIVE... not so much.

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 6, 2016 09:08

While I am indeed conscious of the dreaded "ageing elitist" tag, it admittedly DOES amuse me just how many of these "youngsters" posting here only initially knew The Rolling Stones via Hot Rocks, TY, ER and Still Life.
Please - do your research, kiddies, for teen nostalgia rarely qualifies / quantifies as Greatness.

Date: May 6, 2016 11:33

HamburgerToGo
While I am indeed conscious of the dreaded "ageing elitist" tag, it admittedly DOES amuse me just how many of these "youngsters" posting here only initially knew The Rolling Stones via Hot Rocks, TY, ER and Still Life.
Please - do your research, kiddies, for teen nostalgia rarely qualifies / quantifies as Greatness.

What amuses me even more is that many of the «kiddies» who discovered the Stones through, say, Bridges To Babylon know WAY more about the Stones than many who discovered them in 1962. Go figure that! grinning smiley

Date: May 6, 2016 13:55

DandelionPowderman
HamburgerToGo

What amuses me even more is that many of the «kiddies» who discovered the Stones through, say, Bridges To Babylon know WAY more about the Stones than many who discovered them in 1962. Go figure that! grinning smiley

It is fascinating how the Stones span the generations. I've been there almost from the start, and I have a 21 year old son who like them now. His first exposure was A Bigger Bang; album and tour!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 6, 2016 15:19

DandelionPowderman

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

How about overall sound? The criticism at the time is that it was too 'clean' and I listen now and think the same ... It's almost like a studio album. I much prefer the boots, like Hampton where you can still hear raw, live, great music! Still Life is irritating to my ears, for the most part! Hampton takes me back to the day, the sound I remember hearing when I first saw Stones live, also in '81!

Date: May 6, 2016 15:23

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

How about overall sound? The criticism at the time is that it was too 'clean' and I listen now and think the same ... It's almost like a studio album. I much prefer the boots, like Hampton where you can still hear raw, live, great music! Still Life is irritating to my ears, for the most part! Hampton takes me back to the day, the sound I remember hearing when I first saw Stones live, also in '81!

I don't disagree at all, although I like Still Life for what it is: a doctored live album.

However, keep in mind that the official Hampton has the same overdubs as on Still Life (LSTNT, TIOMS) + vocal overdubs on Miss You. Even though there are overdubs on Hampton I still prefer the official release (at least over the Swinging Pig-bootleg I have).

But, as I said, I don't disagree smiling smiley

Date: May 6, 2016 15:34

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

I don't disagree at all, although I like Still Life for what it is: a doctored live album.

However, keep in mind that the official Hampton has the same overdubs as on Still Life (LSTNT, TIOMS) + vocal overdubs on Miss You. Even though there are overdubs on Hampton I still prefer the official release (at least over the Swinging Pig-bootleg I have).

When I was young and naive, it bothered me to learn about overdubs on live albums. But today my thinking is that the purpose of a live album is to capture the VIBE of a particular tour. So, just as Ya Ya's captures the 1969 vibe with some overdubs, Still Life does a good job capturing the spirit of the 1981 tour. Some things that can be overlooked at an actual concert need some fixing for a release people will scrutinize over and over. The overdubs are forgiven...although it took me years to say that! Are there any famous bands whose live albums have zero overdubs? And if they claim that, are they lying?

Date: May 6, 2016 15:45

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

When I was young and naive, it bothered me to learn about overdubs on live albums. But today my thinking is that the purpose of a live album is to capture the VIBE of a particular tour. So, just as Ya Ya's captures the 1969 vibe with some overdubs, Still Life does a good job capturing the spirit of the 1981 tour. Some things that can be overlooked at an actual concert need some fixing for a release people will scrutinize over and over. The overdubs are forgiven...although it took me years to say that! Are there any famous bands whose live albums have zero overdubs? And if they claim that, are they lying?

Agreed.

I'm pretty sure SAL was free of overdubbing.

Date: May 6, 2016 15:53

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman

The riffs on:

Under My Thumb
Shattered
Going To A Go Go
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Imagination
Start Me Up
Satisfaction

sound fine to my ears.

Agreed.

I'm pretty sure SAL was free of overdubbing.

I have heard that...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 6, 2016 16:02

DandelionPowderman
...However, keep in mind that the official Hampton has the same overdubs as on Still Life ...

Had no clue about that, wow. Still I was referring to my original bootleg of Hampton, 3 LP set, which sounds amazing! Although I bought the official Hampton, I've yet to listen to that version yet.

Date: May 6, 2016 16:08

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
...However, keep in mind that the official Hampton has the same overdubs as on Still Life ...

Had no clue about that, wow. Still I was referring to my original bootleg of Hampton, 3 LP set, which sounds amazing! Although I bought the official Hampton, I've yet to listen to that version yet.

Yeah, I've heard that the Swinging Pig-set is crap compared with other boots of that show (too much audience noise!).

Those three guitars in the bridge of LSTNT are a bit disturbing, imo, but Keith's backing vocals on TIOMS works fine. Mick's new vocals on Miss You are superflous, imo. It's funny watching the DVD, though, as he sings the wrong lyrics on the overdubs smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 6, 2016 22:07

I have the bootleg box set that came out after the tour, which was lifted from the broadcast simulcast. Great sounding! No overdubs.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 7, 2016 00:07

I loved this album when it came out it never came out of my cassette player for at least 6 months - great memories from that summer of 82 and that music was the backdrop...

Date: May 7, 2016 14:13

umakmehrd
I loved this album when it came out it never came out of my cassette player for at least 6 months - great memories from that summer of 82 and that music was the backdrop...

Yep - I used to go on long rides with a tape of Still Life blasting! Good times!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 8, 2016 01:29

3 killers: under my thumb, lets spend.., time is on my side,
rest are fillers

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 8, 2016 03:51

umakmehrd

It's an album from its time, it was perfect for 1982: short, fast and current.
On today's era, a live album of only 10 tracks and less than 40 minutes is ridiculous.

Love You Live was less than 5 years old at the time, so another double live album was out of the question back then so how you fit a 2 hours and half show on a 40-45 minutes LP?
Still Life is the answer.

Date: May 8, 2016 13:44

Actually, it's brevity helps it be so good; short and sweet just like most studio albums of the day....but it could've been a double as the 1981 setlist had a lot of songs not done in 1975-6. People have no problem enjoying both LA Friday and Hampton.

Posted by: zeppo1 ()
Date: June 1, 2020 13:01

I did not like Still Life at all in 1981. To me, it sounded rushed and messy and as if the band was speeding through the songs to catch a plane. I felt taken as a fan, and felt the band couldn't be bothered to take the time to actually arrange the songs.

Yesterday, while listening though headphones I actually experienced joy. The fine art of weaving through different channels, actually hearing and appreciating the bass lines of Bill Wyman, the way he plays with Charlie--it was great to pick out different parts in the mix and focus on them, almost like one would in a classical recording. I didn't hear it as "rushed" at all, more of a Ramones like run through a great catalog with a few funky pit stops.

I'm just listening to Hampton now and then on to Leeds. I never thought I would be a fan of live 81 stones and feel like I had an epiphany. I hope to find more live recordings where you can "deep listen" to the guitar interplay and actually hear Bill Wyman's bass. It's like the molten core of rock-n-roll smiling smiley !

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: June 1, 2020 13:51

I love it, admittedly not the best but I have great sentimental attachment to it as it was first tour I saw them on. Just the same way I love 'Let's Spend The Night Together', brilliantly filmed by the late Hal Ashby and captures the atmosphere and vastness of the shows. Fab Keith moments on itgrinning smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 1, 2020 14:31

This a fun album - we use to listen to it while tail gating before college football games.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 1, 2020 14:36

Limited shelf space here, between Still Life, Hampton and Leeds, I went with Hampton!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 1, 2020 14:38

FrogSugar
Limited shelf space here, between Still Life, Hampton and Leeds, I went with Hampton!

The SMU version on Hampton is unreal!!!!

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: June 1, 2020 16:20

So, is the Leeds -82 free from overdubs?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 1, 2020 16:27

Great record. 1981 the videos of Hampton pay per view. Then 1982 they came to Europe and played like they played on that record. It was different from LYL ; they played faster.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home