Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 14, 2016 15:56

rebelrebel
Boognish
Interesting observation from Reddit:
Bowie's "Lazarus" video was released FOUR DAYS before his death. If you Google Lazarus,
you get "Lazarus of Bethany, also known as Saint Lazarus or Lazarus of the Four Days"

But they're wrong. Lazarus video was released on Thursday 7th January and Bowie died on Sunday 10th January
so it was released three days earlier.

If you count Thursday as Day 1, Sunday is the fourth day.
(That's a pretty standard way of counting Biblical stuff.)
But as the line in Blackstar goes: Where the fvkc did Monday go?

Love & light to him, and thanks and praises

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 19:44 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 14, 2016 16:26

The play 'Lazarus' that Bowie co-wrote had already been performed since November last year, including the song 'Lazarus'.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 14, 2016 16:34

Deltics
The last pictures taken of David Bowie published on his birthday, January 8th 2016.
Two days before his death.
Photos by Jimmy King.

Any significance to him not wearing any socks?
I don't see any socks...
confused smiley

I'm still so sad.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:53

The line "where the fuxk did monday go" has been haunting me the whole week, like the harmonica in I Can't Give it all away quoting A New Career in a New Town [!] , all the echoes of his life and work in those 7 songs. And now these bare feet and him laughing in the face of death?.. Living and dying with David Bowie. I feel immensely sad, yet at the same time I want get up at night and party or start a riot.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 14, 2016 19:29

From Bowie's Facebook page:

THANK YOU
The family of David Bowie is currently making arrangements for a private ceremony celebrating the memory of their beloved husband, father and friend.
They ask once again that their privacy be respected at this most sensitive of times.
We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the love and support shown throughout the world.
However, it is important to note that while the concerts and tributes planned for the coming weeks are all welcome, none are official memorials organized or endorsed by the family.
Just as each and every one of us found something unique in David's music, we welcome everyone’s celebration of his life as they see fit.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:06

Incredible / Inspirational photos.

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:30

I'm very very sad too - still. Actually, pretty heartbroken. You're not alone. Beautiful, mad, brilliant Bowie.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:32

Ditto; heartbroken and shocking.

I saw some movie with "Heroes" in the soundtrack, does anyone recall what movie that was? Thank you. I'm not positive at this time if it was the original by Bowie or a rendition.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:37

BroomWagon

I saw some movie with "Heroes" in the soundtrack, does anyone recall what movie that was? Thank you. I'm not positive at this time if it was the original by Bowie or a rendition.

Jacob Dylan and his band the Wallflowers covered it in one of the Godzilla remakes. I'm thinking that same version was also in the movie The Replacements. Neither movie is all that great but the cover of the song isn't too bad.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:05

I find Bowie strangely un-coverable. Bob Dylan, the Stones, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, all lend themselves to covers, but Bowie never did. Or maybe it's me.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:52

Deltics
A great story told in Tweets.

The elderly trombone player was Rico who we sadly lost last year.

Great story! love it!!!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:56

DEmerson
Most reports say liver cancer. Although I saw one that said it may have been pancreatic.
On a cheerier note - rumors seem to be heating up that Mick and Sir Paul may join in on a Bowie tribute concert scheduled at Carnegie Hall in NY in late March.
Probably a combo of the two and both are very very tough

Posted by: chop ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:13

Were those taken two days before his death or published 2 days before his death. He looks pretty damn good for a 69 year old man with 48 hrs left to live.

Date: January 14, 2016 22:21

chop
Were those taken two days before his death or published 2 days before his death.

As stated when they were posted: published two days before his death.
I'd be very surprised if they were taken in the last few weeks - but what do I know.

Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:44

triceratops
DEmerson
Most reports say liver cancer. Although I saw one that said it may have been pancreatic.
On a cheerier note - rumors seem to be heating up that Mick and Sir Paul may join in on a Bowie tribute concert scheduled at Carnegie Hall in NY in late March.

David Bowie The Chameleon Outlined his whole life.....so I'm not surprised he did it till his last day's or even beyond............

Date: January 14, 2016 22:56

triceratops
DEmerson
On a cheerier note - rumors seem to be heating up that Mick and Sir Paul may join in on a Bowie tribute concert
scheduled at Carnegie Hall in NY in late March.

I smiled at that - Paul is not that tough :E

Love and light to David Bowie - love and light, thanks and praises,
and may his latest reinvention be radiant

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 14, 2016 23:43

tomcasagranda
I find Bowie strangely un-coverable. Bob Dylan, the Stones, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, all lend themselves to covers, but Bowie never did. Or maybe it's me.

No, I agree. Stones are un-coverable too.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:44

rebelrebel
tomcasagranda

No, I don't agree some of the Stones songs are coverable....only want to mention one Ruby Tuesday by Melanie...and there are more and yes Bowie is difficult...although the "cover" The Man Who Sold The world by Lulu is better............

Especially if a band give there own swing to it..............

[www.youtube.com]

Actually some ofe them are great to cover..............

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:46

BroomWagon

It could have been the film Christiane F. Bowie made the soundtrack to that film and has a guest appearence which is basically his Berlin concert from I think 1978. The film is after a biographie of a teenage girl growing up in Berlin in the 70s and becoming a drug addict.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:48

crholmstrom
I'm still reeling from David's passing. My heart goes out to his family. I went through my dad's battle with cancer last year (dad was 10 years older than Bowie). There are lingering after effects in my life. It does make me happy though that David was able to get a last, great album out & his musical staged. I'm sure it gave him some comfort. I've been on a serious Bowie binge all week although Bowie has never been off my play list. Played "David Live" last night. Although much derided in some circles, I think that is a great record. He was taking the r & b serious & his vocals were really good, not to mention a crack band. It's going to take awhile to recover from this for me. A huge fan for 40 years, starting at about age 12. I'm glad I saw a few shows on the last tour. The last one was 3rd row in a cool old theater. I've got a boot of that show & it was a special one. I've been looking for some comments from Trent Reznor. Nothing so far but I'm sure he's pretty broken up. The Outside tour with NIN was 1 of the best I've seen. Look up David doing "Hurt" with NIN. It's amazing!

You are right about the lingering. My mother passed away about three years ago from cancer. Diagnosed around thanksgiving and gone by March, but I got to spend some of our best days together then. When Bowie passed in what some are saying "his terms" I thought of my mother. She decided it was time to go to the hospice and within 24 hours she left us.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 15, 2016 04:16

rebelrebel
tomcasagranda

Otis Satisfaction. Johnny Winter Jack Flash. Many others. Mick and Keith wrote great rock and roll songs of which there are many great covers.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 15, 2016 05:35

Bauhaus did a really nice cover of Ziggy Stardust and Manson a decent cover of Golden years

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2016 05:49

Elton John Honors David Bowie at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles

"Sitting alone at the piano on Wednesday night, Elton John paid tribute to the late David Bowie with an extended instrumental reading of "Space Oddity." The moment came during a special two-hour concert at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles, and John stretched out with both delicate melodies and pounding keys, before leading into his own "Rocket Man" with a full band. It was a mash-up that fans and musicians have attempted for years, but John made it elegantly real, dedicating the moment to "the Starman."

Elton - 'Space Oddity'

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 15, 2016 09:45

David Bowie - Lets Spend the Night Together

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 15, 2016 10:32

rebelrebel
Boognish
Interesting observation from Reddit:
Bowie's "Lazarus" video was released FOUR DAYS before his death. If you Google Lazarus, you get "Lazarus of Bethany, also known as Saint Lazarus or Lazarus of the Four Days" https://www.reddit.com/r/DavidBowie/comments/40n35m/bowies_lazarus_video_was_released_four_days/

It makes me wonder, did Bowie end his own life?

But they're wrong. Lazarus video was released on Thursday 7th January and Bowie died on Sunday 10th January so it was released three days earlier. Also Tony Visconti has said he had plans to work on more songs as he thought he had a few months left.

Might this - speaking to Visconti about having plans for another new album just weeks befor his death - have been a last wish, to make sure these last songs/demo's would be in good hands with Visconti, a sort of inverted Kafka-Max Brod wish?

Just to note: Bowie has repeteadly mentioned Richard Strauss' Vier Letzte Lieder (composed in his final year) as his favorite piece of music. Blackstar has written Seven Last Songs written all over it.
Edit: a quick glance at Hermann Hesse poems of the Lieder shows many similarities with the lyrics on Blackstar (Blumen/Gartentraum/ dreaming of the English evergreens, die Seele will in freien Flügen schweben/the Blackbird flying away..)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 10:51 by Greg.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: January 15, 2016 12:12

Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cum Lazaro, quondam paupere, aeternam habeas requiem.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 15, 2016 12:36

Bowie said he found his "Keith" with the late Mick Ronson

A beautiful guitarist... Did he ever jam with the Stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 12:38 by The Joker.

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: January 15, 2016 13:19

This painting is made by a friend of me.

Please IORRians, let me know what you think of it !!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2016 13:28

latcho
This painting is made by a friend of me.

Please IORRians, let me know what you think of it !!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!

very nice

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 15, 2016 13:42

Kurt
Deltics
The last pictures taken of David Bowie published on his birthday, January 8th 2016.
Two days before his death.
Photos by Jimmy King.

Also still really, really sad. No celebrity's death has affected me in such a way since Lennon was killed.

Those photos of Bowie bring to mind his great line from Ziggy Stardust ..."we could lick 'em by smiling"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 13:43 by Silver Dagger.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home