Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 12, 2016 00:33

[www.youtube.com]

It may have already been posted, someone posted this very early Bowie video.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: January 12, 2016 00:37

Devastating news. Huge Bowie fan. What an artist he was. RIP David. Glad the new album is getting much critical acclaim. MEZ

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:05

Redhotcarpet
video: [www.youtube.com]

Wow! This is a must see______ David Bowie - Speed of Life live Dallas 1978 (thanks!)hot smiley

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:34

I'm heartbroken. He was so original and daring.

A Christmas duet with Bing Crosby:

[www.youtube.com]

The duet became famous and was parodied by Will Ferrel and John C. Reilly:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 01:36 by Pietro.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:41

[www.youtube.com]

Before the Stones on the cheap sports speakers, Pontiac Silverdome, circa 1981.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:58

I feel really bad....all day long the heaviness sat on me...and to think he was able to keep such a secret for so long. I never knew he had heart problems revealed in 2004 after a show in Germany where he collapsed.
I only saw David live once at the Concert for New York in October 2001. He was brilliant, of course. He came onto the stage at Madison Square Garden quietly and sat down. One spotlight lite him and he sang Simon & Garfunkel's " America"...very appropriate and then he went into Heroes! I always wanted to see his show but he was just not on tour much. Rest In Peace, David. You certainly brought a lot of happiness into our lives. And yes, you were a t rue genius.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 12, 2016 02:02

mickschix
I feel really bad....all day long the heaviness sat on me...and to think he was able to keep such a secret for so long. I never knew he had heart problems revealed in 2004 after a show in Germany where he collapsed.
I only saw David live once at the Concert for New York in October 2001. He was brilliant, of course. He came onto the stage at Madison Square Garden quietly and sat down. One spotlight lite him and he sang Simon & Garfunkel's " America"...very appropriate and then he went into Heroes! I always wanted to see his show but he was just not on tour much. Rest In Peace, David. You certainly brought a lot of happiness into our lives. And yes, you were a t rue genius.

Good post, speaking of DB doing other songs, they played on the radio, his doing "Saint in the City" by Springsteen, I had no idea he performed that song.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 02:02 by BroomWagon.

Date: January 12, 2016 02:09

I just finished listening to Blackstar moments ago... It is a heart-wrenching, emotionally draining album for the most part...

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: January 12, 2016 02:27

I first got into Bowie in 1974 because my sister had Diamond Dogs which caught my eye because it had an amazing gatefold album cover. I was blown away by it. The opening "Future Legend / Diamond Dogs" is still a mind blower - truly scary and unforgettable.

I immediately bought David Live - a double live album the critics hated because he had changed his look and rearranged the arrangements of some of his classics - critics be damned, I loved it and still love it. Critics be damned could have been Bowie's mantra. He was a true ARTIST - Very rare then and now. Constantly changing both his look and sound. Not because he was looking for a hit or to jump on a bandwagon. But because he was an ARTIST. Absolutely fearless whether he would go on a Bing Crosby show to duet on Little Drummer Boy back in the late 70's, release commercially unsuccessful drum and bass albums and open up for Nine Inch Nails in the 80's, or go on broadway and do The Elephant Man without prosthetics and blow the critics away. He was a gargantuan talent. Truly one of the greatests. And like the best artists, he's left us a lifetime of listening pleasure.

I currently have 38 Bowie albums which I love - and there's plenty out there I don't have. That's a lot of work he did - all with quality. So go get Ziggy Stardust (the album) - an absolute Perfect record. If you like it, get Aladdin Sane. Funny, but my least favorites are his most commericially successful - Let's Dance, Young Americans - still good albums though. Funny also that last week I listened to Tin Machine - critics hated it - and I was reminded how great it is actually - ahead of it's time perhaps. If you don't have any Bowie - get the double CD's - The Singles or Best Of Bowie. You'll thank me. It'll open a lifetime of great music for you to explore. Ask my kids - they've been loving "Life On Mars" and much more since they were tiny.

Goodbye Mr. Bowie and thank you for your amazing body of work. A lifetime of music pleasure and artistry. A one of a kind artistic genius.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 02:28

I am still in disbelief. I haven't posted, trying to come to grips with this terrible hole that has been left. The man was a genius and influence so much of my life and my friends' lives. He was our beacon of freedom to be fearless in being who you are. The man sang to our souls. I spent Sunday immersing myself in Blackstar. On Sunday I appreciated its brilliance. As with most of his challenging work, it took time for me to get into, and I am still working on appreciating it fully. But this morning I realized the album is much more than it seemed. And it breaks my heart to realize this was his goodbye to us all. RIP David. You are a Starman now. Moon Dust Will Cover You....

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 12, 2016 02:42

I first heard of Bowie in 1993 when the radio played his then new single, "Miracle Goodnight". Clearly not his most memorable song but it was the sax riff that get me hooked. Like a pop song with a twist.

The next step was to get his Singles collection (released the same year), and what a treasure trove I had found! Even if it took me some time to fully grab what was going on on this incredible collection of songs, it was a mind blowing experience (at least for a 15 years old teenager coming from the Stones and the Who - that's what I was mainly into before 1993).

But the revelation about how a great and unique artist he was, came when he released Outside in 1995. Just loved everything on it : weird monologues, amazing songs with the most bizarre arrangements, but also catchy pop songs, and what a great cover... for some time nothing could beat this album in my collection.

I finally got to see him live on the Earthling tour in possibly one the best concert I've ever seen from a pop act. Everything was in place, amazing songs performed to perfection but also with passion. A rare experience to say the least.

In 2004 I travelled to Ireland specially to see him again live. Unfortunately that wouldn't happened as when we arrived at the venue we learned he had canceled all his remaining dates for the Reality tour. We had a great 3 hours The Cure concert instead. Not bad but clearly not the same thing.

Then began the long wait for something new... Until 2013 with the release of The Next Day which, in a way, I find his most perfect album : concise great songs all throughout, arranged and performed with care, concern and passion ; actually possibly the perfect Bowie album.

When the song Blackstar was released last year, it was so melancholic in contrast that I didn't quite know what to do with it. Then I listened to the new album last week and, again, I couldn't get what he was about and my first thought was, well, that sounds like a new start and maybe we'll get even weirder pop songs from Bowie in the future with even more perfection. Since yesterday I realize how disarming and straightforward is Blackstar. At the same time it warms my heart to see how he made his passing away the key to his album. Until the end he lived his artist life and remained the total artist he was.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 02:46

I was at jury duty this morning...having nice conversation with someone...and then I checked my phone and saw the news. It just stopped everything for me. The person kept talking to me, but Bowie just kept running through my mind. I continued to talk to people, listen for my number to be called...but his music just kept playing in my head while I was pretending to be present with everything around me.
Bowie's passing is one of those that really hits you, sinks in and has a real emotional jolt. I first saw him when I was about 10 on the Cher show during the Ziggy period or it may have been just after that...absolutely androgynous, and I was confused as hell. I grew up and he continued to change and astound and confuse me. But underneath the provocation and in-your-face daring, his music always had heart.
He was a true artist, the truest definition of original artist for me, even if you didn't always follow where he went to - he always left you in awe, like some amazing constellation in the sky. There will never be anyone like him.
RIP DB.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-12 02:54 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 12, 2016 03:03

I only saw him twice but both shows are up there in my top 10. Most memorable moment, David singing "Space Oddity" into a telephone while sitting in an easy chair in a cherry picker that "floated" over the orchestra. Lights went down and a spotlight on Major Tom. Second show was the Young Americans show at Radio City. Amazing how he reinvented himself so many times.

A great loss to us all.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 12, 2016 03:11

SomeTorontoGirl
Tribute concert (likely one of many) planned for Carnegie Hall on March 31st.

Yes, STG, this was a concert planned before his death, though only announced hours before.
Now it becomes a memorial concert as well as a tribute.

[www.rollingstone.com]

I knew this because I went to a tribute concert at Carnegie Hall one March for The Rolling Stones.
Different musicians and singers covered the band's songs.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 12, 2016 03:25

-It feels like we lost something elemental, as if an entire color is gone. #DavidBowie -Carrie Brownstein

Carrie Brownstein's (Sleater Kinney, Portlandia) tweet summed it up best for me.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: January 12, 2016 03:32

I woke this am still in my David Bowie nightshirt and gasped at the first headline I read.

But I believe as he said: 'Look up here, I'm in heaven'

RIP Mr. Jones

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 12, 2016 03:42

whitem8
I am still in disbelief. I haven't posted, trying to come to grips with this terrible hole that has been left. The man was a genius and influence so much of my life and my friends' lives. He was our beacon of freedom to be fearless in being who you are. The man sang to our souls. I spent Sunday immersing myself in Blackstar. On Sunday I appreciated its brilliance. As with most of his challenging work, it took time for me to get into, and I am still working on appreciating it fully. But this morning I realized the album is much more than it seemed. And it breaks my heart to realize this was his goodbye to us all. RIP David. You are a Starman now. Moon Dust Will Cover You....
Haunting. It's like he is singing from the beyond, which is of course how he planned it. Who else went out like this, leaving such a document? "Where the f*** did Monday go?"

Many great posts on this thread, yours and the ones around it. What a loss.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 12, 2016 03:51

Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Alladin Sane were such important albums to me back in the early 70's---- then Young Americans, Station to Station....Low !

I drifted away from his later stuff, but those albums I will always remember with such fondness--- they were (and are ) great !

Thanks David for all the terrific music. May God welcome you home.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 12, 2016 04:20

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 12, 2016 05:10

Brian May on the writing of Under Pressure: [brianmay.com]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 05:14

I'm forever grateful to my friend for dragging me to see him the last time he came to Houston.'Dragging' because I had been depressed, was tired, and it was an unexpected invite. The person he was going with backed out, so I was chosen by default. DB was magic, his voice still so strong and powerful. And he had such a playful spirit that tempered the more idiosyncratic touches. I feel so blessed to have seen before he passed. I can say I saw Bowie live, and that's a fantastic thing to be able to say.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 05:35

Koen
Brian May on the writing of Under Pressure: [brianmay.com]

Very cool story thank you for posting.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 05:37

My expectation is that he is not resting in peace, but is enjoying exploring the next dimension with fascination.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: January 12, 2016 06:00

Have you seen his music video for Lazarus on his last cd? It is stunning. He left us with such a wonderful farewell gift. He had such class. Went out on his own terms. We all should be so lucky. Bravo David, Bravo!

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 12, 2016 06:10

I feel bad, though I was only a moderate fan. Maybe more people will discover his music. He was a huge influence on all that came after in music, especially in terms of image and style.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 12, 2016 06:36

Farewell Ziggy.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 12, 2016 06:50

So many of these posts are so very insightful. The surprise passing of David in conjunction with the release of his final album, just two days prior to his death, puts a final bookend to his career. However it would be like David to have another Album finished and ready to go for release on a future date. He was unpredictable and marched to his own beat. I will greatly miss him.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 12, 2016 07:00

dcba
Cristiano Radtke
"David was always an inspiration to me and a true original. He was wonderfully shameless in his work. We had so many good times together. He was my friend, I will never forget him."

[www.facebook.com]

Yup Bowie was Jagger's single most influence outside of his own bandmates. Bowie was also Keith's personal nigthmare : he was openly bisexual, he built an androgynous stage character and he chased musical trends and he made his own.

I find it fascinating Mick chose the word "shameless" regarding Bowie's fearlessness to be who he was, at whatever time. Yes, I know, Mick, said "wonderfully." Still, it's an interesting choice of words--from Mick, someone who guards and measures his words as carefully as he does his scrupulously curated personal life and image.

Two weeks ago I was just saying to a friend the photos of Mick with David Bowie are absolutely the most relaxed, and genuinely naturally happy, of any of Mick at any point, with anyone or on his own, after 1966 or so.

I am Sorry Mick lost someone who he could--at least at some points in his life--seem to feel so wonderfully shamelessly himself around.

- swiss

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 12, 2016 07:26

I still remember when Bobby Keys died in 2014, being closely followed by Mac on the very next day. I was extremely sad, but this time with Bowie it hurts so much. I really enjoyed his work and he always seemed to be a very nice guy, just like Bobby and Mac. I'm still speechless. sad smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 12, 2016 07:39

Damn- "Do you remember President Nixon? the bills you had to pay or even yesterday?'

Yeah - will be sorely missed- R.I.P. - Great in Concert as well!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home