Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show - Confirmed For March 25
Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: March 2, 2016 08:00

a bigger nut
Anyone know recent internet environment in Cuba ?

When I traveled in 2013, there was no mobile environment and extremely slow even with wired LAN connection.
Besides, that is not from my hotel room but a business center or an internet cafe for travelers.

I think I paid at least 5-7 CUC per hour. Not that cheap.

See what GlimmerGirl24 has posted on this topic - very informative! Doesn't sound like much has changed from your experience.

Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Date: March 2, 2016 08:04

daniel t
I will also be there. As a matter of fact, I'll be in Varadero with 3 other teachers and a group of 28 students from March 23rd till the 30th. Still not 100% sure I'll go to Havana. I still need to talk to my 3 colleagues 'cause I'm there for a student trip first.
If there's a possibility to sleep in Havana for a cheap price after the show, then I'll go. and I'll have to quit early the next morning back to Varadero.
I'm from Québec, Canada by the way.
Daniel

If you don't mind staying in the home of a Cuban family, you can find relatively cheap accommodation. This is where I found mine:
[www.havanacasaparticular.com]

So far my hostess has been nothing but gracious & accommodating & I had to change my dates once the date was confirmed.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 2, 2016 08:07

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 08:16 by daniel t.

cuba 2016
Date: March 2, 2016 08:11

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 08:17 by daniel t.

Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show rumours
Date: March 2, 2016 08:13

Thanks for the tip

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: March 2, 2016 08:28

StonedAsia
My retirement will be reduced to eating tins of cat food by candle light but what the hell...Cuba & The Stones!

Tins of cat food in my retirement will be only for holidays, it will be dry no brand cat food. That is if my Kitten Cats will share. Considering that my Stones hobby will have them eating no brand cat food, they might not.

Date: March 2, 2016 08:35

a bigger nut

When I traveled in 2013, there was no mobile environment and extremely slow even with wired LAN connection.
Besides, that is not from my hotel room but a business center or an internet cafe for travelers.

The same. Improvements are supposed to begin later this year with laying broadband cables for a few Havana neighborhoods. But it's still basically wifi with 56k modems.

If your phone is unlocked, you can purchase a SIM card before you go or at the Havana airport from Cubacell, but the data looks pricey. If you have Verizon and possibly Sprint - they're both supposed to be offering coverage in Cuba. But I don't think data is included.

I posted about options several pages back in this thread.

Posted by: goldylocks ()
Date: March 2, 2016 08:54

mickschix
FREE SHOW!!? Anyome recall the disaster called ALTAMONT? Dumb idea! Sorry but if they feel generous it should not be in such an untested country!! This is not well thought-out, very dangerous!

yes, be aware. stay at home. Communist eat little children and stole old women their handbag eye popping smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 2, 2016 11:20

a bigger nut

Internet in Cuba - [en.wikipedia.org] ,

Telecommunications in Cuba - [en.wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 2, 2016 13:07

I think it's a great opportunity for the people of Cuba to get to see the greatest
Rock 'n' Roll Band in the world. I sure do hope there are no limits for entrance for them,
because it will be a chance of a lifetime, they'll never experience again.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: March 2, 2016 13:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 13:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 2, 2016 14:04

epic....as it should be...good for the Cubans and the Stones.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: March 2, 2016 14:34

GlimmerGirl24
a bigger nut

The same. Improvements are supposed to begin later this year with laying broadband cables for a few Havana neighborhoods. But it's still basically wifi with 56k modems.

If your phone is unlocked, you can purchase a SIM card before you go or at the Havana airport from Cubacell, but the data looks pricey. If you have Verizon and possibly Sprint - they're both supposed to be offering coverage in Cuba. But I don't think data is included.

I posted about options several pages back in this thread.

Thanks.
Then it will be not very easy to access latest show information after we arrived at Havana.

Stay or Go. I am going to make a decision within 24 hours.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 2, 2016 15:03

Cuba is not that complicated. I have used internet in Cuba during all my travels there during the past 16 years. Don't expect high speed wireless unlimited in your room and all of that, but there will be Internet available, to browse for info etc.

Also I am sure we will set up a meeting point at a central Havana location. I will be in Havana Cuba from March 18, and I will try to sort out a place where fans can meet and talk. It should not be that complicated.

From what I understand this is a free show like the Copacabana show in Rio 2006, come as you please, enjoy close up or from a bar nearby, this should be a show for everyone.

I will post more here as I find out.

Bjornulf

Date: March 2, 2016 15:45

I'll be glad to join you at a meeting point.
Keep us posted please, Bv.
And tanks for all you do.

Posted by: HeadFullofSnow ()
Date: March 2, 2016 16:56

How are they planning on ticket allocation? If its a free show and the capacity of the venue is only 15,000

Date: March 2, 2016 17:21

It's gonna be an ''open-air'' show. Outside of the arena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-02 17:22 by daniel t.

Date: March 2, 2016 18:01

mpj200
WestCoastPromotionMan

Just curious what that flight cost and how long it takes that route? Also, do you need I visa and a passport?

$318 RT to Cancun on AA
$$290 RT Cancun to Havana on AeroMexico
$25 Visa from kiosk in Cancun
$3 medical insurance you buy once in Cuba

Best,
Zach

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: March 2, 2016 18:28

Yes, it will be close to the arena on the big field outside from what I understand.

Date: March 2, 2016 18:29

HeadFullofSnow
How are they planning on ticket allocation? If its a free show and the capacity of the venue is only 15,000

At the moment it doesn't appear there are plans to require a ticket to get onto the grounds where the concert is being held, the arena is part of the complex. I have heard that they think a million people might attend.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: March 2, 2016 18:45

Flights from London only one company flies direct are about 2000 grand return.eye popping smiley

Date: March 2, 2016 18:48

WestCoastPromotionMan

Just curious what that flight cost and how long it takes that route? Also, do you need I visa and a passport?

Flights from Cancun to Havana are $265-350 depending on date and flight, it's about an hour flight.

Flights from the Bahamas, Caymans, Santo Domingo, etc. are $400-500, also around an hour.

Miami is $450 and probably a 20 minute flight. I think Toronto is around $650, but it's been a couple of months since I've checked.

Flights to the gateway city from US cities are $250-450, depending on where you're flying from.

A charter flight from NYC was over $1k when I looked last fall.

Two roundtrip fares from most areas of the US are probably going to average around $600.

You'll need a passport and visa. You can buy the visa in the gateway airports I checked, for $25-40. Once you land in Cuba, they want $3 for health insurance. There's an exit Havana airport fee of $25 when you leave, I think Aeromexico has it added onto to your fare, I'm not sure about the other airlines.

Date: March 2, 2016 18:53

desertblues68
Flights from London only one company flies direct are about 2000 grand return.eye popping smiley

Yes, Virgin fly twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays in each direction. The Monday flight back (28th March) is fully booked in all classes. Being Easter, it has probably been full for some time.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 2, 2016 19:37

Anyone have a boat in Key West that we can take? smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 2, 2016 19:44

Tweeted by the Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 2, 2016 19:55

mpj200

Flight costs and time depends on where you're flying from.

Of course you'll need a passport if you're flying in from another country.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: March 2, 2016 21:00

sarahunwin
Oh God this is killing me. Had everything set up for the weekend before but just cannot fly back to California and then out again 5 days later - oh to be rich and free! My compensation is Prince in Oakland this Friday but it's just not quite the same thing !!

I feel sorry for you, sarah. You can try and talk with your new boss and explain how important for you this concert will be.
Maybe you can make a good deal somehow? You have nothing to loose, don't you?

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 2, 2016 21:28

The show in Cuba is a free show. No ticket needed. They will be performing oustside on the large area next to the Coliseo. There should be space for a few hundred thousand people, and nearby may be a million. It will be a historic show.

Bjornulf

Date: March 2, 2016 22:25

bv
Cuba is not that complicated. I have used internet in Cuba during all my travels there during the past 16 years. Don't expect high speed wireless unlimited in your room and all of that, but there will be Internet available, to browse for info etc.

Also I am sure we will set up a meeting point at a central Havana location. I will be in Havana Cuba from March 18, and I will try to sort out a place where fans can meet and talk. It should not be that complicated.

From what I understand this is a free show like the Copacabana show in Rio 2006, come as you please, enjoy close up or from a bar nearby, this should be a show for everyone.

I will post more here as I find out.

Thanks bv, looking forward to meeting you & other IORR'ians! My hostess in Havana said she watched the news last night & that is how it is being described: free, outdoor concert

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 2, 2016 22:52

I would love to be a part of that Cuban audience in this historic show. I've the dream to be there, but don't know if it really happen to me and when I can make it, I want a position in the audience for seeing the whole band on the stage and not only on the screen.

I was in Cuba for about a week in 2003. I've won that vacation in a competion. 1 week Vardero in a 5-Star-Hotel with all inklusive for 2 people. I've visited also Havana and Pinar del Rio. It is a very beautiful country with some really hot chicks. I remember I had with my handy a much better connection for calling my home as with the phone in that hotel room and also the internet connection in the hotel was very very slow. But that was 13 years ago, so maybe it has changed now?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home