Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 34
Re: Cuba Rolling Stones 2016 show - Confirmed For March 25
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 4, 2016 00:26

I got this request: To French fans going to Cuba:

Journalist for french national channel, I am currently preparing a report for the show 66 minutes broadcast on M6 aired the concert that will give the Rolling Stones in Cuba in March 25.

I'm looking for French fans who will have plans to travel to see this exceptional concert, to follow them in their journey.

If you're interested or know people who can be, please feel free to contact me at : glegarrec@capatv.com, even if you just want to know more about this project !

Best regards
Gaëlle LG

Bjornulf

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 4, 2016 01:21

mnewman505
leahoneill
Or maybe more!
Rolling Stones 1,500,000 Rio, Copacabana Beach/2006[5]
Rolling Stones 500,000 London, Berkeley Square/2006

Even better!
Hey don't forget about SARStock 2003!

Don't forget Altamont1969.

How many people can stand/sit/lay on this field/park/space in Havana actually?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 4, 2016 01:40

Nobody knows how many people there is space for at the sikte. May be 200,000, may be half a million. May be more. It also depends how you count, and how many PA and screen they add to the area. There will be a more PA and screens. Like at Copacabana, but different still.

How many stars are there in the sky?

There will be many at the show, and it will be a great free friendship concert.

May be as big as SarsStock, with 450,000 people. Then they paid CAN dollar 20 or so. But this is free.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RRMan13 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 01:41

You can be sure of one thing. The security will be much tighter than in Altamont. They will be carrying machine guns and if they have problems they know how to use them.Remember where you are at,do not act a fool and you will be fine.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 4, 2016 01:46

Irix
A simple comparison of the areas to get an idea:

Ciudad Deportiva, Havana (Cuba)

Goffert Park, Nijmegen (Netherlands) 8-Jun-2007

Playing on the roof of the sports areana maybe What A Great idea!!!
LONG LIVE THE ROLLING STONES

Posted by: oldrocker ()
Date: March 4, 2016 03:26

I need a place to stay can any one help

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 03:31

oldrocker
I need a place to stay can any one help

I'm trying to find a place too. It's not looking good. smiling smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 4, 2016 03:37

leahoneill
Or maybe more!

Even better!

You're going to have to remind me about a concert in "Berkeley Square" in London.

Hyde Park II perhaps, but Berkeley Square?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: BostonBob ()
Date: March 4, 2016 05:31

Hay, Highgate hillbilly, thanks for the message, hopefully those that do go will bring an instrument…cmon folks donate! BTW you from Highgate VT Hillbilly? that place can hold 100,000 as the Dead well know! all the best BB

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: March 4, 2016 05:55

BV, are you satisfied with the attendance figures and $$$gross of the tour? That is, imo, the key to future tours. They must be able to fill up arenas in the States and make at least 6 million a show.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 4, 2016 07:34

CaptainCorella
leahoneill
Or maybe more!
Rolling Stones 500,000 Londothn, Berkeley Square/2006

Even better!

You're going to have to remind me about a concert in "Berkeley Square" in London.

It was Hyde Park 1969 that had the half million attendance. They weren't allowed to play Berkeley Square in 2006 on account of disturbing the nightingales.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 10:14

It's still a question: how many Cubans are really interested in The Rolling Stones ?
Well, nobody knows !
Do they know them, their music, the hits, the band's legend, myth, history etc ???
So nobody knows how many will attend.
10.000 ? 100.000? More?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 10:18 by 1962.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 4, 2016 10:20

RipThisBone

How many people can stand/sit/lay on this field/park/space in Havana actually?

Dunno - but in my simple area comparison above it would be place for 45,000 spectators like in the Goffert Park Nijmegen, 8-Jun-2007 [www.iorr.org] .

It's still a question: how many Cubans are really interested in The Rolling Stones ?

On August 13-14, 1990 in East-Berlin there were 50,000 spectators each and in Prague August 18, 1990 up to 100,000 spectators - the first RS-concerts in the former Eastern Bloc after the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 11:30 by Irix.

NEED A PLACE TO STAY
Date: March 4, 2016 03:20

Hi I need a place to stay will be going to the RS Show on the 25th March can anyone
help well be coming in on 21st march to 28th coming from England.
My email alldunns5@hotmail.com or on facebook at the goodship rocknroll

Re: NEED A PLACE TO STAY
Date: March 4, 2016 03:33

Will be coming from England on 21th march to 28th march for Show on 25th march
my email alldunns5@hotmail.com or on facebook at the goodship rocknroll

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 4, 2016 16:25

Damn, flights are expensive

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:37

Hoping somebody can assist/clarify something for US citizens flying to Cuba.

Just want to clarify the actual process.

My main question is:

Can you board a fight to Cuba even if you do not have official permission from the US gov under the 12 categories?

My official application was rejected by the US Gov. but I have read that the process is that you can actually go by just fillout out a form saying you are going for one of the 12 reasons. Upon return they might (?) ask under what categories you went for & that all you have to do is have some reasonable explanation for one the 12 reasons. That and keep records for 5 (?) years.

This seems in contrast to what I understood which was you had to show proof before you even left.

I also read ( I think on IORR) that they now stamp all American Passports.That is different from the last time I went thru the Bahamas.

Mil Gracias!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:37

Brstonesfan
BV, are you satisfied with the attendance figures and $$$gross of the tour? That is, imo, the key to future tours. They must be able to fill up arenas in the States and make at least 6 million a show.
thumbs downconfused smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:58

I realize that Altamont happened in a different time but I think times are far more violent today. Yes, Rio went well, so WHY press their luck? To set another record? There is NO WAY security can manage a crowd like that...no way! ( if it tops 500,000 or more)I have been to Stones shows like Rich Stadium where they had 98,000 and THAT was too many for my liking!
Believe me, I WANT everything to run as smooth as silk and I will be praying WAY in advance!

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 18:02

Brstonesfan

I'm satisfied

Date: March 4, 2016 18:25

chrism13
Hoping somebody can assist/clarify something for US citizens flying to Cuba.

Just want to clarify the actual process.

My main question is:

Can you board a fight to Cuba even if you do not have official permission from the US gov under the 12 categories?

My official application was rejected by the US Gov. but I have read that the process is that you can actually go by just fillout out a form saying you are going for one of the 12 reasons. Upon return they might (?) ask under what categories you went for & that all you have to do is have some reasonable explanation for one the 12 reasons. That and keep records for 5 (?) years.

This seems in contrast to what I understood which was you had to show proof before you even left.

I also read ( I think on IORR) that they now stamp all American Passports.That is different from the last time I went thru the Bahamas.

Mil Gracias!

You print the general license affidavit form, check a box and if US Customs asks for it on your return, you hand it to them. If you fly from an US airport directly to Cuba - you'll need to show the affidavit when you depart.

Last fall, Aeromexico and Interjet weren't popping up the general license affidavit form during the purchase process for a flight from Mexico to Cuba, but they are now. I'm not sure why they are now since they are not US companies or whether they're sharing information with the US. Considering there does not appear to be a room somewhere in DC collecting the affidavits, there doesn't appear to be a place to send the information. I speculate either the pop up is because they're partnered with US airlines or they fly into US airports and whether the information is being sent to OFAC is unknown.

[www.treasury.gov]

"What are the travel authorizations in the Cuba program?

OFAC has issued general licenses within the 12 categories of authorized travel for many travel- related transactions to, from, or within Cuba that previously required a specific license (i.e., an application and a case-by-case determination). Travel-related transactions are permitted by general license for certain travel related to the following activities, subject to the criteria and conditions in each general license: family visits; official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations; journalistic activity; professional research and professional meetings; educational activities; religious activities; public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions; support for the Cuban people; humanitarian projects; activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes; exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

6. Do travelers who fall within the scope of a general license need to submit a written request to OFAC for permission to travel or conduct transactions?

No. No further permission from OFAC is required to engage in transactions by a person who meets all criteria in a general license. Individuals wishing to engage in activities that may fall within the scope of a general license should review the relevant general licenses contained in the CACR to determine whether their travel-related transactions are covered by such general licenses. Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction who wish to engage in any travel within the 12 categories of activities specified in the CACR that does not meet the requirements of a general license will need to apply for a specific license from OFAC."

" As an authorized traveler, may I travel from a third country to Cuba and from Cuba to a third country?

Yes, a person subject to U.S. jurisdiction engaging in authorized travel-related transactions may travel to Cuba from a third country or to a third country from Cuba. Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction traveling to and from Cuba via a third country may only do so if their travel-related transactions are authorized by a general or specific license issued by OFAC, and are subject to the same restrictions and requirements as persons traveling directly from the United States."

No one has been penalized for loosely interpreting their travel purpose to Cuba in five years:

[www.fas.org]

"According to OFAC’s listing of civil enforcement actions on its website, from 2004-2005, over 800 individuals had civil penalties assessed or reached informal settlements for alleged violations of various restrictions under the Cuban Assets Control Regulations. The individuals either were assessed a penalty or reached an informal settlement for violations of the Cuba regulations (not just travel-related restrictions) with almost $1.1 million in penalties. Since 2006, however, after backlogged cases were resolved, the number of individuals penalized by OFAC fell considerably. Less than 100 individuals have been penalized since 2006, with 21 in 2006, 17 in 2007, 32 in 2008, 3 in 2009, and 1 in 2010; since 2011, OFAC has not reported any individuals being penalized for violations of the CACR."

Regardless of whether you book a roundtrip ticket from an US city, take a boat from Key West or fly through a third country - i.e. Mexico or Canada, you need to check one of twelve boxes on the general license form. Most people probably check freelance journalist, professional research, educational activities or participating in a public performance once a day - singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on a street corner or juggling at an Internet cafe. If the Cubans watching you toss some coins, until recently you were required to donate the money to a Cuban or US charity benefiting Cuban people.

You can print this general license form or create your own:

[www.abc-charters.com]

With this affidavit omit the part at the bottom about traveling with a travel service provider since you aren't traveling via a tour group.

If you want to create your own form:

[www.cubanadventuresusa.com]

"To create your license, you can either go online and find a generic affidavit to fill out (many Miami charter flight companies have these online), or you can write a letter with the following information:

Dates of travel

High level purpose of travel

Specific category of general license (use the code citation)

Signature and date

You do not need it to be notarized. While the regulations don't have specific documentation requirements- there is no actual paper "license" per se, it may be difficult to explain that to a customs official who asks to see it. It is better to have some paper to show them, and this letter or affidavit should be sufficient."

You are required to keep records of the trip for five years:

"OFAC requires that you maintain specific records of your travel to Cuba, regardless of whether you are traveling under a license or not, and to keep these records for 5 years in the (highly unlikely!) event that OFAC requests to see them. Hang on to any documents relating to transactions or purchases you make relating to your trip to Cuba (e.g. receipts for flights or accommodations), along with any itineraries and other support for your purpose for travel."

Once back in the US:

"You don't need to worry about showing your license anywhere except the US when returning from your trip. Other countries aren't in the practice of enforcing the US travel embargo, so don't expect anyone in Cuba, Mexico, Canada, etc. to have any idea of what you're talking about if you mention the license. When you fill out your customs/immigration form when returning home, you can write "Cuba (under general license xxx.xxx)" in the "Countries Visited" section. Most of the time they don't even look at these forms, but if you are asked where you've been, you can freely admit that you were in Cuba. You only need to show your license if an official asks to see it. It would be very rare for them to ask to see your license, unless you are bringing back tobacco. If you received a passport stamp in Cuba, don't worry - you are traveling legally!"

It's estimated that 600,000 Americans visit Cuba each year. How many are traveling there on loosely interpreted general licenses or omitting they were there when arriving back in the US is unknown. As long as you don't mention to US Customs you went there as a tourist, to pursue a hobby (seeing the Stones) or are bringing back cigars and rum to sell (instead of the limited amount permitted for personal use), the US government isn't currently interested in challenging your general license affidavit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 18:37 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 4, 2016 18:43

Thank you Glimmer Girl!!

Date: March 4, 2016 18:51

You asked about the passport stamp too. Cuba use to stamp the Cuban visa or another piece of paper, now they stamp the passport. If the US Customs person notes the stamp, your general license affidavit is all you need. Although taking a printed itinerary with activities listed relating to your purpose might be a good idea. But the last time I went through US Customs at an airport, my interaction was with a computer kiosk and not an actual person. If I remember, the computer scanned the photo page of my passport, took my customs form and gave me permission to exit customs.

This article suggests how to avoid the stamp if you'd rather not have one in your passport:

[dontforgettomove.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-04 19:08 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 4, 2016 19:29

I'm also trying to find a place to stay for the night after the show. I'm willing to share if needed.

Daniel from Québec, Canada

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 4, 2016 20:44

Those folk who are struggling with accomodation,try the casaparticular web site.Plenty of apartments for 25 quid or so a night.
The ball ache is the tourist visa.Just sent mine off today.
Travelling from the UK.Can't wait for Havana.It will be my third and last visit.After this the gates will be open and Cuba will change forever.

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: March 4, 2016 20:56

I can say by experience that I have personally witnessed no crime in Cuba..things are really under control.

One thing, about the Visa, my husband, flying with an Irish passport via KLM last November from Dublin-Amsterdam-Cuba was denied boarding by KLM in Dublin due to VISA problems, even though the web site said he would pay the fee and be able to enter... But now KLM is telling people upon booking to optain ViSA in advance..but very upsetting and lost ticket at €900. Be careful with the VISA as others have said...

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: March 5, 2016 04:40

Well this will be my 1st visit to Cuba and a place I've always wanted to visit but never before galvanised myself into doing so. The Stones rumoured concert made me bite the bullet some months ago but even so I've had to rearrange my flights and accommodation (thankfully the guy who owns the Casa I'm staying in has been very accommodating, and without telling him he knew why I wanted the extra days.....he says the Cubans are very, very up for the Concert !!!).

The Visa for UK Citizens is straightforward, I got mine within a week or so of applying, but the airlines seem to give different messages about whether or not you need one before arriving in Havana......personally I wouldn't take the chance of the carrier not letting you on the aircraft (this is for European travellers of course, I know it's a different story for U.S.).

We'll be witnessing the end of an era for Cuba, and it's not for me to speculate on what may happen in the future. All I know is that I'm glad to be going, I'm glad to be seeing Cuba now and I'm amazed I'm going to see the President of the U.S.A. and the Stones there as well !! Unbelievable, one to tell the grandchildren about.

I'm on my way back from Porto Alegre to the U.K.tomorrow and then back out to Havana on St Patrick's day, hope they have Guinness on the plane (or Jameson's).

Cheers,

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: duviquet ()
Date: March 5, 2016 09:37

I am going!
So glad to come back to Cuba , such a lovely country with lovely people !
This event will be major; I was in copacabana and it was unbelievable but this one will be unique amidst the changing in Cuba.
I fly from paris on 23rd and stay at the mercure Hotel . I Hope to See Many IORRs around old town and that BV will organize some gatherings.
John Lennon square is a cool calm place also to meet and enjoy chatting .
I am not worried about security : Cuba is very Safe, No crime , no drugs, people do not carry guns and the officials know how to manage large crowds ( political meetings etc). We are going to have a great time !!

Visa is easy for French : just a tourist card to get within a day.

life is a rock and roll
Phiphi

Posted by: bernard randier ()
Date: March 5, 2016 14:44

Hi ! on which company do you travel ? I really want to go there but I only find expensive flights ! merci. Bernard.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 5, 2016 15:21

Green Lady
CaptainCorella
leahoneill
Or maybe more!

Even better!

It was Hyde Park 1969 that had the half million attendance.
They weren't allowed to play Berkeley Square in 2006 on account of disturbing the nightingales.

Thanks for asking, Captain, and thanks for clarifying, Green Lady -
I didn't think I would've missed something like that :E

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1367
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home