Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104Next
Current Page: 103 of 104
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen stuff
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 8, 2024 18:08

Doxa
Bruce Springsteen? Oh shit. When rock and roll goes McDonald's they call it Bruce Springsteen. Those who dear to mention his name in the same sentence as Dylan should be shoot or landed on MAGA land (the home of natural-born or otherwise serious idiots). "Glory Days", my ass, that alone makes "Let's Work" sound like Mozart piece.

Bruce is a nothing but an a weaker uncle version of ms. Shift. Easy listening McDonalds stuff for stupid (mostly) American masses. Ugh. The gospel of mediocrity - yeah - he was a pioneer of that.

- Doxa

"stupid (mostly) American masses" is pretty insulting. I like to think there are plenty of us that are actually pretty intelligent.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 8, 2024 18:31

Sighunt
Doxa
Bruce Springsteen? Oh shit. When rock and roll goes McDonald's they call it Bruce Springsteen. Those who dear to mention his name in the same sentence as Dylan should be shoot or landed on MAGA land (the home of natural-born or otherwise serious idiots). "Glory Days", my ass, that alone makes "Let's Work" sound like Mozart piece.

Bruce is a nothing but an a weaker uncle version of ms. Shift. Easy listening McDonalds stuff for stupid (mostly) American masses. Ugh. The gospel of mediocrity - yeah - he was a pioneer of that.

- Doxa

I'm gonna have to weigh in on this one. Now I get that there are a lot of Bruce haters on this site.

As far as your comments above, they are out of line. I have always respected your insights and analysis of the Stones. As a long time fan, who thinks he knows a lot about them, I still gain even greater knowledge from folks like you on this board.

However, I will argue that Bruce's music is just as vital and powerful as the Rolling Stones.
Unlike my favorite band the Stones, granted not every release of his hits the bullseye, but musically he takes more risks than the Stones, mixes up his setlists, and the energy and musicianship displayed from these guys in
concert who are not far behind the Stones in age is quite remarkable.
I would re-think your comments..

Oh, and by the way, this "stupid" American, before he retired from his full time career held a Master's Degree and two professional licenses after his name...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 18:56

Doxa

- Doxa

Oh Jesus. From someone whose opinion I so respected, and you are entitled to it again on Springsteen, but the way you’ve “argued” your point about him is just so weird. And whilst opinions can’t actually be “wrong”, on this, well, you are.

Rod

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: May 8, 2024 19:26

Maybe the parentheses were in the wrong place, and instead of:

1) "mostly stupid American masses"

Doxa meant:

2) "mostly American stupid masses"

as the reference group of Springsteen's work?

Frankly, I don't know which one's worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-08 19:34 by Topi.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 9, 2024 03:51

Finally I wrote something somebody is actually seeing worth responding to. Not my smartest post I admit, but you know, at least something... But I cannot help it but in my mind Reagan and Springsteen always go hand in hand. It doesn't matter what they say in page 93 if your face is on the cover. 'Boooorn in the uuuusssaaa!" Bruce knew that, no matter how stupid he acts being like.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 03:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 9, 2024 06:26

This thread took a weird dumb turn. Doxa, if you don't like Bruce then just get out of the thread. Clearly none of us are gonna convince you and I guess you accomplished what you wanted but its such low hanging fruit. So while it got some people, it wasn't even clever which I imagine is what you were going for?

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 9, 2024 08:04

bitusa2012
Doxa

- Doxa

Oh Jesus. From someone whose opinion I so respected, and you are entitled to it again on Springsteen, but the way you’ve “argued” your point about him is just so weird. And whilst opinions can’t actually be “wrong”, on this, well, you are.

Doxa you are entitled to.your opinion but have you listened to Bruce's lyrics? They are not for the MAGA supporter, but very far away from it. His lyrics are splendid and speak to the soul and tell the stories of working class lives oppressed, but with a spirit for more just for a better world. Born in the USA sounds like a pro US song due to its upbeat music, but as any half decent Bruce connoisseur knows, the music represents resistance against the scene of desperation set out in the lyrics. Born in the USA is inspired by Born on the fourth of July
Link to lyrics below

born in the USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 10:16 by desertblues68.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 9, 2024 08:37

Doxa
But I cannot help it but in my mind Reagan and Springsteen always go hand in hand.

Please stop this nonsense.

Date: May 9, 2024 11:05

A change of discussion, in 2013 at Wembley Bruce played a whole album Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was an incredible experience.
My ultimate dream would be Bruce playing the whole Nebraska, I would cry. Please note I have only cried at the Opera and at a performance of Bach st Matthew Passion played by the Berlin Philharmonic. What whole album would you like to hear Bruce play?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 11:15 by desertblues68.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 9, 2024 11:28

desertblues68
A change of discussion, in 2013 at Wembley Bruce played a whole album Darkness on the Edge of Town. It was an incredible experience.
My ultimate dream would be Bruce playing the whole Nebraska, I would cry. Please note I have only cried at the Opera and at a performance of Bach st Matthew Passion played by the Berlin Philharmonic. What whole album would you like to hear Bruce play?

The River. Went to Wembley in 2016 to see The River Tour and he only played about six songs having played the whole album on the US leg. I was gutted and drifted away from him for a few years as a result until Letter To You came out which I thought was a return to form.

Date: May 9, 2024 12:20

I was there in 2016 and was hoping to hear the whole River album played, my friend who lives in the States got to hear that plus Purple Rain, I was so jealous!

Date: May 9, 2024 12:37

Born To Run from start to finish was nice to hear in Stockholm back in 2013. That's the only time I've heard Jungleland live, and I've seen 27 shows all-time.

I have also heard BITUSA (Paris 2013), Darkness on the Edge of Town (Stockholm and London in 2013) and The River (Newark and Toronto in 2016) from start to finish.

As to which one I'd like to hear, maybe one of his earliest ones. Greetings From Asbury Park or The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 9, 2024 13:25

Born To Run. I’m a casual fan.

Enjoyed the BITUSA show London 2013.

Went to The River show Manchester 2016. Hardly full album delivery as cited by some posters above, but wasn’t that disappointed. Yes, I’m a casual fan.

Date: May 9, 2024 14:01

desertblues68

Oh man, you and I are on the same page there! Bruce has played full albums on previous tours, but he has not played Nebraska (came close on his solo tours) , which for me is one of his best.

Speaking of Nebraska, drummer Max Weinberg was interviewed a long while ago on some tv show (the name of which escapes me now), and he claimed that all of the songs on Nebraska were recorded with the E Street Band before that idea was scrapped and Bruce then delivered his sparse, stripped down version for official release. I was always hoping that an anniversary edition of that album would feature a bonus album of full band versions...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 20:23 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 9, 2024 14:04

Topi
The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle.

That would be my choice as well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 9, 2024 14:09

Last year, we got "Kitty", "E Street Shuffle", and "Rosalita" in Atlanta.

Date: May 9, 2024 14:10

Koen
Topi
The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle.

That would be my choice as well.

FYI- In the meantime, if you don't have it already, on Bruce's official download site (in the year 2009), he played the full album which you can purchase.

Date: May 9, 2024 14:21

I have heard about an electric version of Nebraska featuring the E Street Band.
Bruce has said this is the album closest to his soul

Interview

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 14:23 by desertblues68.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 9, 2024 19:10

It seems more likely than not Electric Nebraska will come out sometime in the next 5 years. There's been chatter about it for awhile now more heavily than in the past, and with another BITUSA anniversary coming up and that movie that's being made about Bruce in the Nebraska years, it seems like it could happen. Or that at least this is the best chance for it to.

Personally, I don't want it. Nebraska is my favorite Bruce album but its absolutely perfect as it is. It doesn't make it better than the electric stuff didn't come out, its not like that would nullify an already great album. But it just feels like the right thing came out. His conviction to it being what came out as opposed to the infinitely more popular opinion to release it with the band is part of the mythology I love about that album. I understand why people would want the original sessions out, and its selfish for me not to want it. In my mind it feels he's done them almost all electric with the band live, people can hear those, and those original sessions were probably canned for a reason. But I get why people would want everything, its easier for it to come out and I just never listen than they never come out at all. Its a very specific album where what we got feels like all that should ever come of it.

Date: May 9, 2024 19:43

RollingFreak I love Nebraska as it is as well, the acoustic style suits the mood of the album more. If Bruce was to play the entire album onstage it would have to be solo and with a much reduced E Street Band depending on the song. This is the reason I guess it has never been played live in its entirely.
This might work better on a smaller stage such as
Springsteen on Broadway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 19:46 by desertblues68.

Date: May 9, 2024 20:38

RollingFreak
It seems more likely than not Electric Nebraska will come out sometime in the next 5 years. There's been chatter about it for awhile now more heavily than in the past, and with another BITUSA anniversary coming up and that movie that's being made about Bruce in the Nebraska years, it seems like it could happen. Or that at least this is the best chance for it to.

Personally, I don't want it. Nebraska is my favorite Bruce album but its absolutely perfect as it is. It doesn't make it better than the electric stuff didn't come out, its not like that would nullify an already great album. But it just feels like the right thing came out. His conviction to it being what came out as opposed to the infinitely more popular opinion to release it with the band is part of the mythology I love about that album. I understand why people would want the original sessions out, and its selfish for me not to want it. In my mind it feels he's done them almost all electric with the band live, people can hear those, and those original sessions were probably canned for a reason. But I get why people would want everything, its easier for it to come out and I just never listen than they never come out at all. Its a very specific album where what we got feels like all that should ever come of it.

I can get why your saying that. In that Max Weinberg interview I was referring to in my prior post, he seemed very positive about the results of the full band versions of Nebraska. I think the "electric" versions as a bonus CD with the original acoustic release (ala what the Stones did with the Some Girls 2CD deluxe edition) would be a great anniversary collectable worth acquiring...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 20:39 by Sighunt.

Date: May 10, 2024 17:21

Doxa's gonna love this.

The 40th anniversary edition of Born in the USA has just been announced!

[www.amazon.com]

Ir..someone will post the photos, I'm sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 17:27 by Topi.

Date: May 10, 2024 19:07

He really did have a nice a**. Remember seeing the cover as a teenager and the video of I am on Fire. Happy memories.

Date: May 11, 2024 12:29

I’ve heard Bruce was ill at the Belfast gig on Thursday. Is that true?

I wonder if Gazza attended the show.

Date: May 11, 2024 13:40

Gazza was there. And yes, Bruce reportedly was a bit under the weather but worked through it. At the end, he apologized for his voice, saying he had a cold.

He still put on a longer show that he had planned to, with more audibles.

Omitted from the original setlist:

Pat Me My Money Down
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)

Added:

If I Was The Priest
Land of Hope and Dreams
Glory Days

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 13:47 by Topi.

Date: May 11, 2024 13:57

Thanks for the clarification, Topi.
Hope he will be alright along the way.

No more cancellations or postponements.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 11, 2024 16:00

Topi

The 40th anniversary edition of Born in the USA has just been announced!

14-Jun-2024 - translucent red vinyl - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: May 11, 2024 17:34

I knew me and Doxa could count on you, Irix!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 12, 2024 02:50

RisingStone
I’ve heard Bruce was ill at the Belfast gig on Thursday. Is that true?

I wonder if Gazza attended the show.

Yeah, whilst it was a hugely enjoyable gig (and pretty long at 185 minutes) he was noticeably struggling with the higher notes, especially in the early songs. Said at the end that he had caught a cold a couple of days earlier.

I actually thought he'd cut the show a bit short but it ended up being longer than scheduled (the handwritten setlist I got had 26 songs - he ended up playing 28).

Hopefully he'll be fine for Kilkenny tomorrow and the two shows I'm seeing next week in Cork and Dublin.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2024 03:08

Topi
I knew me and Doxa could count on you, Irix!

Bloody hell, I just bought the album 40 years ago. Do I now need to do it again? grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104Next
Current Page: 103 of 104

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home