Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 102
Re: OT: Bruce Springsteen 2016 - The River Tour and more
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:42

I liked both Wrecking Ball and High Hopes, but haven't revisited either in a while.

Wrecking Ball could have been the soundtrack to the financial collapse, but it came out too late. I think he could have utilized Morello's radicalism more as well.

Magic was incredible. Haven't even listened to all of Waiting on a Dream.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:50

Trailer for Bruce's upcoming Netflix special:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:52

Wrecking Ball to me always felt like Springsteen trying to do Springsteen. I thought most of it bordered on parody. I didn't even mind it, I liked some songs. But it felt more forced than any record I'd heard from him. And I think calling the album Wrecking Ball and having that track be the centerpiece of the album never sat right with me and left a bad taste in my mouth. Springsteen fans try to argue endlessly for its merit, but I remember when it came out for Giants Stadium. I actually liked the song and most HATED it. Then all of a sudden people saw it wasn't going anywhere (it shouldn't have been used past Giants Stadium, and maybe the Spectrum) and attached this meaning to it that is a real stretch and to me that killed the album from the start. At least to me. As you say, it came out too late and I also just don't think he could truly relate to the collapse. He was trying to step into the shoes of a different person and it was a rare occasion where it didn't work and felt false to me. The tour, as usual, was admittedly better.

OT: Springsteen On Broadway - NetFlix
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 24, 2018 19:02

We watched last night over 2 hours running time. If you like to listen to Bruce speak about his childhood growing up and mixed in with guitar and piano then most likely you will enjoy.

Re: OT: Springsteen On Broadway - NetFlix
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 24, 2018 20:59

I thought it was very good. That version of "Born in the USA" was chilling.

Date: December 24, 2018 21:27

e: OT: Springsteen On Broadway - NetFlix new
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 24, 2018 20:59

I thought it was very good. That version of "Born in the USA" was chilling.

Yes that was awesome - Just him strumming on growing up was awesome those little jams at the strings as he explained to the audience how to become a rock and roller.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: December 25, 2018 00:08

Worth watching, and loved the stories. The different song versions are interesting, however, all of us who watched it kept waiting for The Boss to come out as we've never seen him perform and not perspire, which we missed seeing even if it would have just been for one song at the end. The tribute to the Big Man was touching.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 25, 2018 00:53

Commercial and critical success. Am not really a fan but I have to say he has gone up in my estimation.
How many of today's musicians could have pulled this off? Very few....Bowie, Paul Simon maybe (he tried Broadway with 'Capeman' of course but it flopped). So its difficult to pull off.
Well done, Brucie.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 25, 2018 01:09

jlowe
Commercial and critical success. Am not really a fan but I have to say he has gone up in my estimation.
How many of today's musicians could have pulled this off? Very few....Bowie, Paul Simon maybe (he tried Broadway with 'Capeman' of course but it flopped). So its difficult to pull off.
Well done, Brucie.

I think Ray Davies many years ago did something similar but not as successful as what Bruce did.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 25, 2018 02:38

Highly enjoyable, a great performance.

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: December 25, 2018 17:59

"Plain Spoken" by Mellencamp is pretty good too. I assume similar in theme to Springsteen's (I haven't watched yet- but definitely will).

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 25, 2018 18:42

I am going to pass.
I know, blasphemy if you’re a certain age Caucasian American LOL! Joke, don’t box me.
I have seen a clip. It’s not my cuppa, but I understand his power of career.

Date: December 25, 2018 19:35

Re: OT: Springsteen On Broadway - NetFlix new
Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: December 25, 2018 00:08

Worth watching, and loved the stories. The different song versions are interesting, however, all of us who watched it kept waiting for The Boss to come out as we've never seen him perform and not perspire, which we missed seeing even if it would have just been for one song at the end. The tribute to the Big Man was touching.

Yes it was touching on 10 avenue freeze out - I agree nothing more enjoyable to see Bruce with a Tele and perspire. Also Bruce is great on acoustic he creates a lot of tension when he plays and adds passing chords and bass notes

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 25, 2018 20:00

Inspiring........I need to reacquaint myself with some of them Nugsnet live concerts on CD, too, in 2019.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 25, 2018 20:39

rollmops
jlowe
Well done, Brucie.

I think Ray Davies many years ago did something similar but not as successful as what Bruce did.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Exactly. Ray Davies did do it and he did it much better or truer to the form than Bruce. I'm a massive Bruce fan, but I do genuinely believe MANY people could have done this. Its not a knock to his show, I just believe many musicians and their catalogue could conjure up these emotions, or something even more unique on Broadway. I've never thought there was anything THAT unique about it, simply that many others haven't tackled it or, in the case of Ray Davies, done it on a scale as big as Bruce because he is a massive star. Like you say, Bowie, Simon. I could see Neil Young doing it. I could see Billy Joel pulling it off very well, funny as that may seem to some. I think any true fan of his knows he absolutely could. And yeah someone like Bowie? "My brother was not your average brother most families have..." and you start up All The Madmen.

I don't think any of the Stones could do it but I think a lot of the singer-songwriters could. But thats not taking anything away from Bruce and its still a fabulous show. And bravo for making out like a bandit for a year with it on Broadway and then getting a healthy amount for Netflix which will now have it for years. Can't imagine a more successful run with this type of thing.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 26, 2018 05:16

RollingFreak
I could see Billy Joel pulling it off very well, funny as that may seem to some.

Billy would be excellent at it...he's done several college lecture circuit appearances over the years and has plenty of stories about his songs he could craft into a show.

A couple of examples...

video: [youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 26, 2018 15:52

He made me laugh and he made me cry. Only a handful of performances have touched my heart in such a way.
Thank you Bruce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-27 00:21 by desertblues68.

Date: December 26, 2018 16:48

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (Live in New York City)
[m.youtube.com]

EDIT: this is a live band version ^ I don’t know what year, but the big man is still on the stage (RIP)
IT IS TOO PULLED OUT. It is my favorite BS song, and I can’t listen to the whole song live. C’mon man, you pull 4 band members up front for 1 hip thrust?

I’m harsh maybe, what can I say. The Rolling Stones are my band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-28 18:34 by 35love.

Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: December 26, 2018 16:53

Bruce opens the show with Growin' Up. I thought the Bowie version of the song with Ronnie Wood on guitar was very good.

"It was just not my meat with the two saxes"

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 26, 2018 16:55

35love
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (Live in New York City)
[m.youtube.com]

(takes a long time to get thru this song....)

Date: December 26, 2018 16:58

Does anyone have a clip of ‘10th Avenue freeze out’ from the Broadway show?
Is it simply Bruce and piano?

Prince (RIP) last tour was Prince and the piano, alone, singing on a stage.

Date: December 26, 2018 18:05

sted by: 35love ()
Date: December 26, 2018 16:58

Does anyone have a clip of ‘10th Avenue freeze out’ from the Broadway show?
Is it simply Bruce and piano?

Prince (RIP) last tour was Prince and the piano, alone, singing on a stage.

It is just Bruce and piano from Broadway Show

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 28, 2018 17:04

Watched it and love it; nothing wrong with a good spycho-analytic rock show, we all need one. Bruce is riding the spectrum of emotions, it is very real and very impressive.

I don't understand why he doesn't mention Elvis as the person he sees on TV in 1956, when he is 7 and gets inspired to play the guitar.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: December 28, 2018 18:14

Also on Netflix - The Other One - Bob Weir - great documentary about Bob and the Dead. You come to realize how great Bob was on rhythm and his counter playing to Jerry Garcia and how they would extend the jams. Bob would play and find the same chord all up and down the fretboard to make it interesting to what Jerry was playing.

Date: December 28, 2018 18:21

I should apologize because all my latest posts have been disparaging about this or that. I'm turning into some cranky dude. I;m Scrooge haha..
But my point is that I really did not dig this whole show at all. The notion of someone speaking of himself in 3rd person, as 'our hero' doesn't sit right.

Date: December 28, 2018 18:28

Palace Revolution 2000
I should apologize because all my latest posts have been disparaging about this or that. I'm turning into some cranky dude. I;m Scrooge haha..
But my point is that I really did not dig this whole show at all. The notion of someone speaking of himself in 3rd person, as 'our hero' doesn't sit right.

Agree. It is too me me me for me.
Sorry-

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: December 28, 2018 20:14

jlowe
Well done, Brucie.
Loudon Wainwright III has a similar thing on Netflix. It's just him on stage doing monologues about his father and performing songs. It's not bad. But I enjoyed Springsteen's more.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 29, 2018 02:51

35love
Palace Revolution 2000

Sorry-

Wow. A show that is essentially autobiographical is too me me me? Who'd a thunk? Guess you missed the stories about his dad, mum, Clarence as well.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-29 02:53 by bitusa2012.

Date: December 29, 2018 03:01

bitusa2012
35love
Palace Revolution 2000

Sorry-

Wow. A show that is essentially autobiographical is too me me me? Who'd a thunk? Guess you missed the stories about his dad, mum, Clarence as well.

^that was funny, you got me.
Truthfully, I am not a baby-boomer, I slid under that generation (I am 51 or 52 years old)
Our fellow Stones fan, author Rich Cohen, describes the baby boom feel I get from Bruce Springsteen self indulgent
as opposed to Us underneath
“Cynical, wised up, sane. We’d seen what became of the big projects of the boomers as that earlier generation had seen what became of all the big social projects. As a result we could not stand to hear the Utopian talk of the boomers as we cannot stand to hear the Utopian talk of the millennials. We know that most people are rotten to the core, but some are good, and proceed accordingly.”

[www.google.com]

Date: December 29, 2018 03:09

One more from Rich Cohen’s article that describes my little generation and then I am out and off this thread I am not wanting to cast shadow on Bruce.

“Our generational works of art, those monuments—many of them share this sensibility. It’s a kind of enough-already detachment, an exhaustion, an opting for comedy over morals, lessons, rules.”

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 102

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home