Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Tumbling Dice
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 19, 2016 09:11

This is an inspiring thread. I found myself listening to just the lead section of the studio version over and over and over again; the groove is gigantic and elegant and indescribably delicious. I surrender.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: June 19, 2016 17:56

the ultimate rock 'n roll song

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 19, 2016 18:19

mudbone
the ultimate rock 'n roll song

That would be the original 45 of "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: June 19, 2016 19:47

Song has grown on me over the years, especially the studio version, Brussels and Touring Party live.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: June 19, 2016 22:03

yea..close second.

JJF is wild and young, TD is more matured and cool and suitable for every mood...and that is super rare for a song. It defines the stones and what they are and stand for

for me at least

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 19, 2016 23:01

Tumbling Dice is one of those perfect 70s Stax soul rock songs the stones did so well then. It is is a potboiler that slowly snaps at your heels to shimmy and shake. It is infectiously beautiful. It has such soul and a gospel revival atmosphere. One of their perfect songs that really epitomizes all that is best about the World's Greatest Rock n' Roll Band!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 20, 2016 01:19

For me, a lot of the greatest Stones songs are ones that didn't really grab me at first, yet there was something deeper there that compelled me to return and listen again and again until I fully comprehended the greatness I was hearing. Tumbling Dice is a prime example of this. On the contrary, there are songs I instantly liked that I later realized were by-the-numbers toss-offs. The Stones' very best material has a way of sneaking up on you and taking some time to fully appreciate. Even Miss You had this effect on me; didn't like it much at first but like TD, it grew on me until I appreciated it for the classic that it was. Actually, the whole of Exile On Main Street had to sneak up on me...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: June 20, 2016 13:50

Just a great tune, probably among their 20 best songs ever. It gave our band its name

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 8, 2020 17:48

Interesting instrumental version where you can make out the horn parts better. No guitar solo either.

Date: April 8, 2020 19:05

TravelinMan

Interesting instrumental version where you can make out the horn parts better. No guitar solo either.

How many guitars do you hear? I have 4, maybe more buried in the sludge??
To me the difference between this and the live versions may be tape. The effect that the actual tape has in this recording. I had never heard the horns in the earlier part of the song.
Jimmy Miller taking over on drums.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 8, 2020 20:05

I think this is the quintessential Rolling Rolling Stones song.It should be their final last song to close the shows. The " keep on rolling" refrain is perfect. They did do that at the Tower Theatre right outside of Philly once as the final song. It was great
Hope they do that instead Satisfaction. MT guitar work is missed on Tumbling Dice live but it is still a great song anyway.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 8, 2020 20:45

This is a better mix than the official version

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 8, 2020 21:47

Way cool, where did Jordy get this from? This one has escaped me. Thank you!

Date: April 8, 2020 21:50

RobberBride
Way cool, where did Jordy get this from? This one has escaped me. Thank you!

I'm assuming here: [iorr.org]

I'm trying to see if somebody will post a new link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-08 21:51 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 8, 2020 22:39

Palace Revolution 2000
To me the difference between this and the live versions may be tape. The effect that the actual tape has in this recording. I had never heard the horns in the earlier part of the song.

1 The main rhythm on the left, 2 the slide on the right, 3 it sounds like there's another guitar behind the slide playing partial chords, 4 and then one towards the center-left (.35) low in the mix too.

What's interesting is in the released version the solo ends with that slide guitar part, and Richards must have just overdubbed the beginning of the solo later.

Also, I'm not sure which guitar is purportedly Jagger.

Date: April 8, 2020 23:25

A good track, but it just goes on too long. It gets boring towards the end.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: April 8, 2020 23:49

Tumbling Dice, back in the days of CD's, was always my litmus test for the sound quality of a bootleg.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 8, 2020 23:52

TravelinMan
Palace Revolution 2000

1 The main rhythm on the left, 2 the slide on the right, 3 it sounds like there's another guitar behind the slide playing partial chords, 4 and then one towards the center-left (.35) low in the mix too.

What's interesting is in the released version the solo ends with that slide guitar part, and Richards must have just overdubbed the beginning of the solo later.

Yeah, the most "overdriven" main rhythm on the left sounds like Keiths chugging, and the center playing simpler, more root based is probably Jagger. Add the slide on the right and you have the main three ones filling out nicely between them. A fourth (and possibly more) is added on in between, IMHO, on the chorus and so on.
Note how Keiths overdriven guitar is absent from the breakdown and out in the final version, replaced by a "cleaner" one. The instrumental becomes much less dynamic that way, with the overdriven guitar and the horn going all over the place. The slow build up in the final version, with the clean guitar, the horns doing just the root, and the vocals building - much more interesting. Again, this is a spectacular document showing the evolution of a track.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 9, 2020 00:06

Wow! That instrumental version is stunning, I adore that song and have certainly never heard that before!

The horns! The guitars! The piano! Just beautiful

Where did this appear from?

I could listen to hours of this kind of thing. Now I'm ready for the TD vocals only...

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 9, 2020 01:09

PhillyFAN
I think this is the quintessential Rolling Rolling Stones song.It should be their final last song to close the shows. The " keep on rolling" refrain is perfect. They did do that at the Tower Theatre right outside of Philly once as the final song. It was great
Hope they do that instead Satisfaction. MT guitar work is missed on Tumbling Dice live but it is still a great song anyway.

AMEN

I agree, it is the best song of all time and as Mudbone says, it's suitable for EVERY mood. Sneaked up on me too it did. My favourite versions are actually from the Bigger Bang Tour in 2007(!!!) as they put it as the finishing song in the first set before introductions (similar to arena shows in 2002-03 but in 07 they did it slightly more a la Stax) and it just made me cry of joy every time hearing itsmileys with beer

Date: April 9, 2020 01:24

RobberBride
TravelinMan
Palace Revolution 2000

Yeah, the most "overdriven" main rhythm on the left sounds like Keiths chugging, and the center playing simpler, more root based is probably Jagger. Add the slide on the right and you have the main three ones filling out nicely between them. A fourth (and possibly more) is added on in between, IMHO, on the chorus and so on.
Note how Keiths overdriven guitar is absent from the breakdown and out in the final version, replaced by a "cleaner" one. The instrumental becomes much less dynamic that way, with the overdriven guitar and the horn going all over the place. The slow build up in the final version, with the clean guitar, the horns doing just the root, and the vocals building - much more interesting. Again, this is a spectacular document showing the evolution of a track.

Listen at about the 20 second mark behind the slide line on the right, interesting part. It ends up playing the riff in unison during the coda.

The center part confuses me, because there are a few licks in here and there that don’t really sound like Jagger.

Date: April 9, 2020 01:56

Do the slide licks sound like Taylor? Like his playing on Soul Survivor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-09 01:57 by Taylor1.

Date: April 9, 2020 02:10

Taylor1

Could be the same guitar, probably a Tele, but I think it’s Richards on this one.

For years people always assumed Taylor player slide on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-09 02:11 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 9, 2020 02:25

Taylor1

No. No vibrato.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-09 02:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 11, 2020 18:36

TravelinMan

Another example of Jagger over singing. His vocals are great up to the outro, but then he has to do the singing and talking over the outro THis sounds better without his vocals over the outtro

Tumbling Dice - Amsterdam (?) warm up/Gospel version
Posted by: 3ddie ()
Date: September 28, 2023 21:52

Oh my god I thought I know it all. And then I found this today:
TUMBLING DICE ( PIANO VERSION )
A part of this was used on the rendition of Tumbling Dice on the 1996 Wild Horses single, edited together with the Paris 1995, March 7, version.
All I found is that this was part on a interactive CDrom-addition of the first Stripped-CDs.
Hell, I want the complete take as an audio, love it so much. Has anybody any idea if this is on some boot or else?

Re: Tumbling Dice - Amsterdam (?) warm up/Gospel version
Posted by: Musicwinn ()
Date: September 28, 2023 22:15

They did this just as a warm-up before one of the Paradiso shows in Amsterdam in 1995. To really amazing shows, with unique setlists. I think it was released on one of the DVDs from Totally Stripped Live at Paradiso.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 28, 2023 22:56

Oh yes, I remember that easter egg.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 28, 2023 23:14

I also like this version from Amsterdam in 2017 -

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 29, 2023 00:14

3ddie
Oh my god I thought I know it all. And then I found this today:
TUMBLING DICE ( PIANO VERSION )
A part of this was used on the rendition of Tumbling Dice on the 1996 Wild Horses single, edited together with tharis 1995, March 7, version.
All I found is that this was part on a interactive CDrom-addition of the first Stripped-CDs.
Hell, I want the complete take as an audio, love it so much. Has anybody any idea if this is on some boot or else?

It was a B-side of their single Wild Horses from Stripped.

Wild Horses 1995

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 00:18 by Muddyw.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home