Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Tumbling Dice (New)
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 21:34

Naturalust

Reminder to Dandie that when you pull quotes from Ian's site over at Time Is On Our Side to make sure to credit him. He doesn't mind us using them here but has specifically requested that we do so. He's obviously put a lot of effort into compiling all that information on that awesome site and deserves the nod!

[www.timeisonourside.com]

As usual, the Brian Jones era stones ("time is on our side") gets neglected by the Taylor era "IORR". Sigh.

(that was a joke)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 17, 2015 00:00

Turner68
Naturalust

Reminder to Dandie that when you pull quotes from Ian's site over at Time Is On Our Side to make sure to credit him. He doesn't mind us using them here but has specifically requested that we do so. He's obviously put a lot of effort into compiling all that information on that awesome site and deserves the nod!

[www.timeisonourside.com]

As usual, the Brian Jones era stones ("time is on our side") gets neglected by the Taylor era "IORR". Sigh.

(that was a joke)

And a good one!

Ian has done a bunch of new work over on that site recently. The database section includes a bunch of new categories, Concert Logs, Influences, Collaborators, Chart Positions, Opening Songs, etc. Anyone who hasn't been there in a while should take a new peek, Just awesome, imo.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 17, 2015 00:28

And not to forget the great cover of Linda.....................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: November 17, 2015 00:47

Bill has said there are songs wrongly credited on Exile, and that he played on more tracks than he got credit for. He didn't mention any song specifically, but this track sounds like Bill to me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 17, 2015 08:25

From4tilLate
Bill has said there are songs wrongly credited on Exile, and that he played on more tracks than he got credit for. He didn't mention any song specifically, but this track sounds like Bill to me.

Bill is a rock-bass-player...This song is 'Glam-Pop' to my rocky ears...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: November 17, 2015 08:57

John Perry (the Only Ones guitarist),in his book Classic Rock Albums,EOMS,says this;
"Amid the diversity of fans gathered by the Stones in a career approaching its fortieth year,I still find *Tumbling Dice* works as a litmus test.You can sort out a particular type of Stones fan by the status they afford this song.Some think it definitive,others can't see what the fuss is about."

I'm in the former camp.

Date: November 17, 2015 09:01

From4tilLate

He mentioned All Down The Line. TD has Taylor on bass.

Date: November 17, 2015 09:10

Brown Moses
John Perry (the Only Ones guitarist),in his book Classic Rock Albums,EOMS,says this;
"Amid the diversity of fans gathered by the Stones in a career approaching its fortieth year,I still find *Tumbling Dice* works as a litmus test.You can sort out a particular type of Stones fan by the status they afford this song.Some think it definitive,others can't see what the fuss is about."

I'm in the former camp.

I love 'The Only Ones'...Perry is absolutely right here ...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 17, 2015 09:29

Brown Moses

I'm in the former camp.

I started out in the 'can't see what the fuss is about' camp but have gradually moved definitive-wards over time. Love the studio track with that hypnotic riff, but I'm afraid it's getting rather tired live.

Date: November 17, 2015 10:34

The song needs to be sung perfectly for it to work live, imo, something Mick hasn't really done for a while. The melody line is higher pitched than what he's doing live.

Many have talked about the great ending, and I agree, but what about the first 30 seconds of this track – perhaps the greatest segment they ever put to tape.

The intro, the drums, the drive and Mick's glorious vocals. Great! thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 17, 2015 11:53

DandelionPowderman
The song needs to be sung perfectly for it to work live, imo, something Mick hasn't really done for a while. The melody line is higher pitched than what he's doing live.

Many have talked about the great ending, and I agree, but what about the first 30 seconds of this track – perhaps the greatest segment they ever put to tape.

The intro, the drums, the drive and Mick's glorious vocals. Great! thumbs up

Yep - that intro is amazing. I can definitely hear a bit of Honky Tonk Women going on there. It's more or less the same tempo. The way it rocks backwards and forward and sets up the song's amazing swing. All with just three great chords - again similar to HTW. And building up to that amazing 'oooh' from the gospel chorus.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 17, 2015 14:51

It really is magnificent. My favourite Stones song, for sure.

As mentioned it has all the ingredients. I've found myself on several occasions in the past just listening to that intro over and over again. It's just perfect. The guitar riff, where did that come from?! And then the drums, backing vocals and that guitar lick. Utterly brilliant...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 17, 2015 17:31

The tune peaked live in 1994-95 and was pretty good in 1989-90 and 1997-98. I've always liked the dumpiness of it from 1981-82 and it was well done in 1978 with a bit of snarl.

It has gotten a bit tired in the Twenty Hundreds though. Oh well. GREAT track. There are a lot of Stones songs I hear on the radio and this is one of the few that I turn up, not off.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 17, 2015 20:05

Probably the only song where Charlie has doubled himself on drums. It's not one track you are hearing, it is a double track.

I don't like it though that on new releases Jagger has decided to speed the track up -it is now running faster than it used to. The same with Miss You by the way.

Mathijs

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 17, 2015 20:21

The studio version is the best because of the vocals and the drums (like Dandie said about Micks high voice). The 1972 and 1973 versions are great and the 1975 LA FRIDAY DVD version is fantastic too. After that? No thank you. Except perhaps 1981.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:07

Great song! I like the live version of the tour 89-90.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:32

DandelionPowderman
The song needs to be sung perfectly for it to work live ...

I'd actually love to hear it without any vocals at all.
I'd follow that hypnotic riff anywhere :E

Date: November 17, 2015 22:37

Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version. Video from some rehearsal studio to begin with. Much thanks.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 17, 2015 22:56

love this song. the studio version is just perfection, and the Brussels (unofficial bootleg version) live one is just the best live song by any band ever.

I´d love to hear some of these reels and reels of the development of the song.

Also, I´m looking forward to Doxa´s thoughful analysis!

Date: November 17, 2015 23:48

Naturalust
Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano
and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version.
Video from some rehearsal studio to begin with. Much thanks.

That was on the bootleg known as the Stripped Companion, and then it was released on Rarities.
I think the video wasn't actually in the Stripped documentary, was it? But I do remember seeing it. Hm

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 17, 2015 23:55

They make it sound so effortless but they probably spent more time on this than any other. Took years to realise what Jagger was singing which just added to the attraction.

Date: November 17, 2015 23:56

Here's the Stripped Companion/Rarities version: [www.youtube.com]

Here's one labelled Backstage/Stripped: [www.youtube.com]

But I seem to recall a video that goes right from the backstage version into the stage version -
apparently it's time for me to watch Stripped again :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-17 23:59 by with sssoul.

Date: November 17, 2015 23:58

with sssoul
Naturalust
Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano
and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version.

That was on the bootleg known as the Stripped Companion, and then it was released on Rarities.
I think the video wasn't actually in the Stripped documentary, was it? But I do remember seeing it. Hm

Thanks with sssoul!! Now it's coming back to me. I actually love the broken down version they play at the beginning. Not only does it somewhat restore my faith in Chucks piano playing I simply adore the background vocals being so loud in the mix. That classic Keith stumbling up to the mic and adding some serious soul to the performance. I could listen to the whole song like that, or better yet a version where it got slowly more complex with different instruments coming into the mix as the song progressed, ending with the red hot mess we know the song can be. Whoo Hoo!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 18, 2015 00:12

Naturalust
with sssoul
Naturalust

Thanks with sssoul!! Now it's coming back to me. I actually love the broken down version they play at the beginning. Not only does it somewhat restore my faith in Chucks piano playing I simply adore the background vocals being so loud in the mix. That classic Keith stumbling up to the mic and adding some serious soul to the performance. I could listen to the whole song like that, or better yet a version where it got slowly more complex with different instruments coming into the mix as the song progressed, ending with the red hot mess we know the song can be. Whoo Hoo!

[www.youtube.com]

It was released on this CD single:

[www.45worlds.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2015 00:20

Yeah first official release was a bonus track on Wild Horses Stripped single 1996

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 18, 2015 03:16

Brown Moses

I'm in the former camp.

And I'm in the latter camp. There's nothing wrong with this track, and it beats the tar out of much of their latter-day stuff, but to my ears it sure ain't up to JJF, HTW, or many other examples of their finest work. Don't they sound a little tired here? The whole affair just feels a bit sluggish and dispirited. Linda Ronstadt's version had more energy, for Chrissakes.

I must confess however that I loved the fantastic circular/repeating horn riff during the "got to roll me" outro on the '89/90 live versions (for example from the 3:11 mark onward in the clip below). It elevated something rather pedestrian into something extraordinary.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 18, 2015 14:59

For me Tumbling Dice is the quintessential Rolling Stones song. I believe the Brussell's version is the best live version of this song I have heard.

Date: November 18, 2015 15:16

PhillyFAN
For me Tumbling Dice is the quintessential Rolling Stones song. I believe the Brussell's version is the best live version of this song I have heard.

Which one?

Date: November 18, 2015 16:07

drewmaster
Brown Moses

I'm in the former camp.

And I'm in the latter camp. There's nothing wrong with this track, and it beats the tar out of much of their latter-day stuff, but to my ears it sure ain't up to JJF, HTW, or many other examples of their finest work. Don't they sound a little tired here? The whole affair just feels a bit sluggish and dispirited. Linda Ronstadt's version had more energy, for Chrissakes.

I must confess however that I loved the fantastic circular/repeating horn riff during the "got to roll me" outro on the '89/90 live versions (for example from the 3:11 mark onward in the clip below). It elevated something rather pedestrian into something extraordinary.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Not to even mention Keith Urbans...Christ, that's energy...

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-18 16:07 by Come On.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 18, 2015 16:07

2nd show. I like the guitar rolling lead on the outro with Jagger singing keep on rollin. Amazing version that sounded really great without back up singers.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home